1. We have new admins and are making big plans for 2019 and beyond. Please read the state of the forum here and support if you can!

Rate the last film you watched

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by CDevil, Jul 6, 2007.

1. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Blade Runner 2049 -- the original Blade Runner has to be in the top 3, if not the tippy-top, sci-fi movies of all time in my mind. That doesn't automatically ingratiate this movie into that list, much the contrary...

Cyberpunk became a bona fide obsession for me, during the early '90s. Already had an established sci-fi bent as a kiddo, definitely helped by notable anime & tokusatsu subbed in the States during my childhood, like Raideen, Mazinger/Z, Denjin Zaboga, Ultraman/Ultra 7, Geta Robo/Z, Kikaider/01/ Hakkaider, Kamen Rider/V3. Later came Star Blazers and Robotech, the US versions of Uchuu Senkan Yamato and Macross/Southern Cross/Mospeada, which also built upon that. A natural inclination to tinker with things mechanical (probably inherited from my sugar mill factory foreman grandfather) set me on a path to appreciate things related to cyberpunk, eventually culminating in worshipping OG Blade Runner.

However, I didn't like OG BR in the cinema -- I'd actually seen it in its theatrical run. Like many, felt its band-aided voiceover, sloppy editing and way-ahead-of-its-time subject matter-for-US-'bawdy'-ences (esp in Hawaii), put this preteen kid off. Thought it was kinda cool, but didn't really elevate it until another milestone was passed -- my introduction in 1992, to the growing wave of cyberpunk manga titles coming from Japan.

Appleseed. Koukaku Kidoutai (Ghost in the Shell). Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita). Bubblegum Crisis. Dirty Pair. Patlabor. And as if to seal my fate with an elegant wax stamp... also about this time, came across a writer named William Gibson, and his seminal hit Neuromancer... the one title you must read to have any tenuous grasp of what cyberpunk is. I lived in comic book stores at the time, esp the Crystal Mall in D.C., waiting for Dark Horse's graphic novelization of cutting-edge manga volumes...

Many ways to become an aficionado of cyberpunk... from the classic sci-fi route (Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, Wells, Heinlein, Herbert), the modern sci-fi route (Pratchett, Guin, Niven, Dick), or like me, the cyberpunk route (Gibson, Stephenson, Sterling, Rucker, Cadigan). Then there's TV sci-fi (Trek TOS, ARK2, TNG, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica) and countless movies, well-done (2001: A Space Odyssey, Terminator/T2) and not (Battle Beyond the Stars, They Live, The Hidden)...

But back to OG BR. This was a horrendous nightmare of worst-case scenario events that could ever happen on a film shoot... won't go into them as it's already a long post. But suffice to say no one on set was particularly invested in its success. However, enough casting, improvisation, cinematography, soundtrack, and physical fx magic came together, in the right era at the right time, for me 10 yrs later to be completely engrossed in its near-perfection. A pre-Jedi Harrison Ford is just accelerating up his trajectory to super-stardom, pre-batshit angelic Sean Young is beyond iconic as Rachel, and newcomer Daryl Hannah, as well as most of the supporting cast, had iconic parts -- an almost Spielbergian use of the Odyssean-cast-of-characters trope that director most recently (and obviously) used in another sci-fi blockbuster, Minority Report. Less the slop and plot holes and sappy ending, this movie sticks in your mind -- a trait of the best movies, never mind sci-fi.

Now on to 2049, and I'll keep it brief: this new movie suffers from a glaring lack of the same things that made OG BR great. It's very heavy-handed, plot lines lead nowhere, character development is spotty at best, and the supporting cast don't matter to you by the time they're dead. There are more loose plot threads in this film than a cat scratch post made of terry cloth. Villeneuve concentrates so much on one plot line, that the trouble he takes putting other characters into that plot line, seem more arbitrary than an organic consequence of the route the plotline takes. And will someone please stop casting Jared Leto in movies -- his pompous bluster of Wallace was plastic, graceless, and took me out of the movie to get oxygen, as he sucked that bad. While that one plotline was engrossing enough to follow and did make for an okay movie (less almost everything else wrong with it)... it wasn't a sequel to OG BR. Not by a long shot.

*sigh* Hollywood again screws up another property I cherish from my teens and early 20s. Ghost in the Shell was a fiasco of fake-it-till-you-make-it overpromising schadenfreude word-salad hype from its director. They're still arguing the marketability of Evangelion here (*cringe*), as well as Cameron's Battle Angel. Stop trying to 'improve' or 'new twist' iconic cyberpunk properties, Hollywood. I liked Villeneuve's other movies... but he should've stayed a million miles away from BR. If Ridley doesn't want to do it... then move on. Don't try to improve what doesn't need these tedious sticky fumblings in the back seat of cars. 4/10

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. hrs0722

hrs0722 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Hokkaido48 damn when
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Surprisingly no one rated Black Panther here. It's the most hyping movie of early 2018.

Mine: 4.8/5.

It's true that it's one of the best Marvel Movies.

Pacific Rim: Uprising is gonna be next movie I'm gonna watch.

3. BreinKendall

BreinKendall Kenkyuusei

Yup, Black Panther was indeed phenomenal!

4. karles48

karles48 Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Black Panther. I really liked it. It was...different and I enjoyed the whole film. 9.5/10
    PS1: one of the things I liked was the characters. For example, the 'bad guy' is far more than 'I want to be rich and powerful'. And I'm happy the character of Everett K. Ross has got so much weigh in the plot.
    PS2: the post-credits scenes stink, specially the second one...we waited to watch them, but it was a waste of time...
    PS3: isn't it funny? Bilbo and Gollum again in the same film... ;)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  5. karles48

Tomb raider. I confess I barely remember Jolie's films but this one really reminded me of the game. However, it's true that sometimes I felt like 'are you kidding?'. 7.5/10
    Yes, there are some things that are quite unbelievable (and I'm not talking of slaves that sometimes looked like they had gone to the barber the previous day ;)). For example, it's too hard to believe Lara dashing through the jungle killing people with perfect aimed arrows only hours later she had been hit hard, had fallen from a waterfall and had been seriously injured in her stomach... Another impossible thing is Lara jumping over the chasm at the end...I can't buy that. The film was very thrilling, anyway...

6. MrQazman

MrQazman Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Minami
    Tomb Raider

7/10

Not worth a re-watch. Too many things that didn't quite feel right even if I'm usually quite good at suspending my disbelief while watching movies.

7. karles48

Ready player one. Wow...I don't dare to rate this one because the discharge of pop cultural references from the eighties and the thrill were so intense that I'm still assimilating them. I'm afraid that people born after the eighties will miss dozens (perhaps hundreds) of references, but I believe they willl enjoy the film too. I should watch it again...perhaps in slow-motion..I missed so many things... :awesome:

8. Generic_User

Generic_User Rank 81-100 (Temporary Name) Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    The Ikuta Erika
    Pacific Rim: Uprising

3 of 5 stars.

Meh. At least the jaegers put up a fight.

9. philipho188

philipho188 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sashihararino
    Ready Player 1, 10/10 would recommend!

10. BreinKendall

BreinKendall Kenkyuusei

Yup, the first one was much better. What the heck happened to the original casts?

11. Yukitie

Yukitie Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    Twitter:
    katiechan48
    Pacific Rim: Uprising

This film pissed me off for so many reasons. Largely because the first film was incredible, stunning, and several other adjectives.
    This? This was a sham. It was 1 hour 50 minutes long, and I think we got about 25 minutes of kaiju. Character development - was there any? Plot was convenient and droll, and that ending? The decision made at the end? Stolen straight from the second Independence Day.

4/10 - which saddens me.

Highlander

My mother showed me this film. I can't say I'll be showing it to anyone else. I loved the Queen soundtrack, and Sean Connery, but nothing else really clicked for me.

5/10

12. Generic_User

Generic_User Rank 81-100 (Temporary Name) Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    The Ikuta Erika
    Isle of Dogs 3 of 5 stars.

13. hrs0722

hrs0722 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Hokkaido48 damn when
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Avengers: Infinity War

4.9/5

Go to theater ASAP!

14. karles48

I can't, it isn't released here yet!! :( This weekend, this weekend... :drool:

15. hrs0722

hrs0722 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Hokkaido48 damn when
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Indonesia is among lucky countries that which MCU movies are released earlier, on the Wednesday. The rest are on Friday.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154756/releaseinfo

16. karles48

My expectations are so high that I'm afraid to get disappointed when I watch the film... :^^;:

17. karles48

Avengers: Infinity War. 10/10. It's one of the best films I've watched and it's got the best cliffhanger ever. It's true that there are some things that are hard to believe (for example, the gathering of power stones in Earth or the powers of Scarlet Witch) but they are inherent to the characters so it's ok for me.

18. karles48

I watched two comedies this week and now I'm quite sure the Americans have their own sense of humor... :^^;:
    The first film was 'Game night' and, despite some isolated gags, the film is utterly stupid, and not in a funny way. 2/10.
    The second film was 'Blockers'. I agree, it isn't the most original teenager film I've watched, but at least it's quite fresh, it's got some funny moments and the whole film is quite enjoyable (although I find Leslie Mann very irksome) . 6/10.
    I made my remark about the sense of humor because, according to the wikipedia, Game night has got better reviews... I can only understand it under the premise that the Americans laugh at different things...:|

19. hiroto

hiroto Rank 81-100 (Temporary Name)

The american humor of his films are intended for different types of audiences.

20. karles48

I guess you're right. Besides, I'm so used to British humor that it's often hard for me to laugh at American comedies...