Rebecca Black

Discussion in 'The Music Forum' started by JAKKfromAKB48, Mar 27, 2011.

1. freezingkiss

freezingkiss Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yuihan
    ^ I agree. Also, she's terrible. Spoiled rich kid who basically bought herself a record deal. I don't respect that.

2. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    The topic isn't moving until someone gives a reason why she can't be considered an "idol" without referencing her nationality or ethnicity.

Yup. I was placing the girls from the record company into units... and that's what she got in. We sent her a YouTube link... I hope she enjoyed it.

3. maxaroni

maxaroni Kenkyuusei

because idols aren't a subgenre of music in america so she's not an idol. She's just a musician who happens to be a teenager.

4. RocketStarLauncher

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    I guess what I'm trying to instigate is a conversation about what 'makes' an idol. For some, they have to sing; for some, they have to model, and for some, they have to act. This section of the forum hosts a cornicopia of different kinds of idols, from Morning Musume to Perfume, from SNSD to Kikkawa Yui, and from AAA to Hangry & Angry. This is less about "idol music" and more about "popular" acts that are supportable by their member(s).

For me at least, she's selling herself as much as she's selling her music. "My Moment" isn't going to sell because it's a good song; it's going to sell because of what it is: a new Rebecca Black song. An idol does the same thing, garnering the attention of the public and convincing them to support them for who they are, not neccessarily what they can do. When "Friday" first gained attention earlier this year, Rebecca Black was constantly on TV and in magazines, talking about herself and her history, not unlike certain famed idol groups.

The context may be different, and you may disagree, but she's staying here.

5. JAKKfromAKB48

JAKKfromAKB48 Kenkyuusei

I've heard lots of people call her an idol on tv shows LOL so I think this thread stays

And she's not some spoiled rich kid I've seen her on shows she's really nice. She donated all the proceeds to the Japan relief

6. maxaroni

maxaroni Kenkyuusei

Just because she's supported by her fans it doesn't make her an idol. Lady Gaga is supported by her fans and is all over the news and TV and performs all over but does her thread belong here? no, because she's a musician, not an idol. Kikkawa Yuu, SNSD, Morning Musume, Perfume, etc. are idols. They're trained and taught what to say and how to be cute and how to act in public and given songs that don't really mean anything to them to sing. I'm not saying that Rebecca Black's a more sophisticated artist than the idols (definitely not), but I am saying that because the concept of idol as this particular forum was made for does not exist in the United States or Europe, this thread is out of place.

You can't tell me that people don't get music in the western world just because it was released by a particular artist, not because it's good or bad or what have you. They like the artist for whatever reason so they get the music. For me, this forum is about idols that are the Asian concept of an Idol, meaning they go through a particular audition and are trained for the specific purpose of being an idol, not being a singer/musician like Rebecca Black aspires to be.

If you want conversation about what makes an idol then start a thread for that, but this thread isn't the place. and it's also in the wrong place.

7. RocketStarLauncher

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Hmm.... you brought up this point:
    That ultimately made me decide to switch this thread, as well as switch a bunch more threads between the forums, depending on the management's power in the management-to-idol relationship regarding appearances in the media.