1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Saito Fuyuka (Fuuchan) / 1st Generation

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 Members' started by nakotteiijan, Nov 2, 2015.

1. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Further to all the interesting things @Atreyu posts about Fuu-chan, there's a collection of 2channel comments about the "forgotten" issue of the captaincy on a Japanese matome site. People now seem to be coming around to looking at the possibility of Yukka as spokesman and Fuu-chan as the real captain, getting things organized within the group. The only thing against her is her lack of public popularity, but if she has a mainly internal role, perhaps she doesn't even have to be part of the #1 senbatsu. There continues to be the quote from Hirate saying that it's better not to have a captain, so everyone takes responsibility. But I think they are all pretty responsible now, and Hirate will be used to Fuu-chan organizing things and bossing people around (lol), so I think she might have changed her mind about that. Yukka as external spokesman (along with Hirate) doesn't seem likely to change.

By the way, does anyone know where that great slogan came from: "Humility, kindness, the bonds between us, shine brightly, Keyakizaka46"? I love it anyway, but I'd be thrilled if it came from within, rather than from management.

2. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

Thank you for your complementary information.

I reckon that at times you legitimately (!) criticized Fuyuka for telling stories about other members that may be funny at times but also may shed a bad light on them. While I personally enjoyed it I absolutely see the point of this criticism, and her image as a cheeky blabbermouth back then may be among the reasons for her low popularity. In the recent epsiode (#50) of KeyaKake where the members posed question to Kikuchi Ami (a graduated idol), she brought up the following question: She would at times like to tell an anecdote about a member but often hesitates because she is unsure about whether the particular person might get angry or upset about this.
    So this means that she does care about the others' feelings indeed when she's telling stories (that doesn't necessarily mean that she always did though) and probably learnt something from previous times where it may have been inappropriate. Or maybe she noticed that it doesn't help her getting a lot of fans so she withdrew a bit from her previous insensitivity and boldness. Anyways, with her being talkative, very social and on good terms with most likely everyone in the group, she's definitely the candidate for bringing up an anecdote when it's good. If she were an official captain of the group, she'd even have some sort of a right to do it to show who's the boss. Anyways, time will tell whether the members will apply what they have been taught by Kikuchi-senpai. It's really nice to see them all grow, be it those in the spotlight or the underdogs like Nijika or Fuyuka, everyone changes so much to the positive without abandoning their own charm and style.

3. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    @Atreyu & @ukifune
    Thanks for the Videos and information, really really grateful for them! Definitely just adds on to the reason why Fuu-Chan is one of my favorite members~

About the Captaincy topic, i agree with the doesn't have to be part of the #1 senbatsu to be a captain role. I think a captain doesn't have to really be the best in the whole team to be a captain? A Captain can just be a person who sets things in place, be the one who pushes fellow members forward and helping the members get back up when they fall?? I think Fuu-Chan fits the role of captain perfectly?
    I'll quote a part of Mii-chan's (Koike Minami's) Interview from the Bit Graph Vol. 11. (taken from Mii-chan's thread)
    "Fuu-Chan (Saito Fuyuka) relentlessly says things like “Us third rowers should make our dancing appear bigger so that we can support the first and second rows”. A year ago, that might have broken my heart. But because the time we have spent together has been very rich (passionate), I can say with confidence that this feeling is something I treasure and has become an important part of me."
    In my opinion, i think this is an example of what i meant i guess? Though i have no idea when Fuu-Chan said that but IMO i think if anyone placed in the 3rd row right at the start would probably feel demoralised and frustrated. Being able to pick yourself up and look at the bigger picture is really admirable and i think what she said really was able to pick up the members in the 3rd row to see a bigger picture really set them on track.
    So i'm pretty sure Fuu-chan does really prove her capabilities to be a Captain i guess?

About Public popularity, i really wonder how would that work out as everyone would have different thoughts on things i guess? like the small stories about other members, i would take them with a pinch of salt as we too sometimes tease friends by doing the same thing. Then again, there's probably a line to draw and idk how much would that be in her case. Seeing that she asked that question regarding the anecdote, i think she's like what Atreyu said actually thinks about the others and might have crossed the line once and was told off about it so she pulled back a bit.

As for the reply to her question, Kikuchi-Senpai's answer was to kinda try it out a little, see the person's response and if she doesn't seem to be happy with it, try to divert it away by saying she got the wrong person or in the worst case, bring it back to yourself? Which i think is one of the ways to go around it. Then again, I think what Tsuchida added on to answer her question was great? Something about there's no need to be defensive about the anecdotes as it is kinda like an interesting topic which could be used in the future and it brings attention to the person?
    Sorry i can't kinda grasp the rough meaning but not accurate.

Mii-chan's Interview if you would like to read more:

4. RelaxRelapse

RelaxRelapse Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi
    I've started watching more Keya stuff recently, and I think she might be my favorite member. I haven't quite gotten a feel for everyone's personalities yet though.

5. Hououin Pic

Hououin Pic Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    saitoasuka
    I think she's a gem!

6. reppa

reppa Kenkyuusei

Fuyuka is my favorite, too -- when I was first pointed to Silent Majority elsewhere, I checked out the wiki, and she (plus Oda Nana) was the one who grabbed my attention...
    I think she's incredibly beautiful, and reading everyone else's thoughts helps solidify my opinion...

Thank you...

7. Hououin Pic

Hououin Pic Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    saitoasuka
    I thought it was too early for anyone to actually have something against her being given a shot at the front. But I'm not the least surprised, anyways:whistle:...

Excited for her, I hope she takes this shot that she has been given!:omg:

8. jokoyamajui

jokoyamajui Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nagasawananako
    I don't think anyone is "against" her being given a shot at the front. One has to admit that it is a bit shocking, though. Somehow I doubt she'll ever see the front row again... Koike is one of my fav but I can't believe she is even there and I don't believe she will see the front row again either.

9. Hououin Pic

Hououin Pic Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    saitoasuka
    Oh but there are quite a few disapprovals! In my book that means they don't want her there.
    Unlike Koike, she's a surprise but I haven't seen anything specifically targeted at her.. don't read what I haven't written, I like Koike, just pointing out the distinction

10. jokoyamajui

jokoyamajui Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nagasawananako
    Me bringing up Koike was about me using my feelings to illustrate by analogy people's feelings about Fuyuka. My point is that even if I love Koike, I express some disapproval of her being in the front. I would say the same thing for Nanako, and her being placed above someone like Imaizumi, who I don't love nearly as much in comparison, would strike me as something I would react somewhat negatively to. That doesn't mean I don't want them to be there. I am happy for Koike but also a bit hesitant to accept it until I see what they have in mind. She has to prove herself and any questioning is, to me, highly justified. I'm quite positive that is the case for many people and their feelings toward Fuyuka as well. I'm sure some people are just sour on Fukuya in general. There are people like that for every girl in existence. But I don't think we should be so quick to assign intent to people's comments when they are rather reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

As a (more or less) Fuyuka oshi I'm immensely hyped for this, but when I try to see things objectively I'm eager to figure out the concept behind this. Things might get more clear once we see performances/MV/songs.

At first glance, one might say members with low/average popularity are getting their chance to show more presence to balance out the gaps within the group and make it more equalized. This is shaky concept though and inconsistent because the likes of Nagasawa-kun and Uemuu would easily have been chosen over Fuyuka and Aoi. Miyu's return to the front row also does not fit this context because she has front row experience.

Actually, when I'm letting my fantasies get the better of me, management may just be like "screw the system, this is Keyakizaka46", not directing the group in the traditional ways of idol but eagerly trying out new concepts and identifying the group as a full-scale team. In this case, I hope that they aren't risking too much though in terms of reception though. I doubt that it will do any damage to the general reception of Keyakizaka, but Nogizaka for example was evolving remarkably with Seifuku no mannequin and afterwards; the singles before were actually not that well received from what I reckon. For Keyaki, expectations for the 3rd single are immensely high.

Another thing is the question whether there actually is already a concept behind everything, such as already designed choreographies or even totally new things like a Fuyuka-Hirate-Miyu dance trio or even dance solos (this would be mad hype in my opinion but it's just fantasies).

We'll see soon enough. Expect the unexpected.

12. Hououin Pic

Hououin Pic Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    saitoasuka
    Ah, guess I had taken the short view of things. I appreciate your explanation, can't say I personally agree with everything stated, but looking at things objectively I guess I'm the one being a bit unreasonable (that's part of being a fan though! :D)

@Atreyu - let the fantasies run wild, they make for an interesting read[hehe]

13. RelaxRelapse

RelaxRelapse Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi
    Wow, Kazumin & Fuu-chan front row and same spot! :cute: Never would've thought I'd see the day both of my Oshi hit the front row let alone in the same spot. I'm just going to take this all in regardless of what people say because I don't think this will happen ever again.

14. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    What a freaking roller coaster event it was watching the live stream yesterday (T_T)
    Honestly when i didn't hear Fuyuka's name when they were calling out members of the 3rd row, i thought it was over? Even till her name was called i was dead worried.

As for what i feel now its both Happiness as well as worry?
    Happy - I think i'm pretty much seeing the same view as @jokoyamajui here, with top 3 favourites in the front row.
    I completely agree with the fact that shifting the popular members such as the double Watanabe as well as the double Yui back to the 2nd row, and pull out Fuyuka, Aoi, Shiori, Mii-chan, Miyu and Akane to the 1st row was really an uncomfortable move even for me though they were my favourites.
    Then again like what @jokoyamajui said, i'm happy that they got this chance to stand out and really prove themselves up being place in front! If they do well, it'll definitely be have a positive thing for them as well the group as a whole?
    AND IF ITS LIKE @Atreyu SAID, OMG I WOULD 100% LOVE THE FUUYUKA/TECHI/KURITARO DANCE SOLOS OR DANCE COMBI DEFINITE LOVE FOR THAT!!!

Worried - Honestly, a lot more worried than happy? but i'm a bit of a negative person so that might be the case.
    Maybe i'm thinking too much and all but these are just my own opinions so i hope i don't come out too offensive?
    I really really hope fans who are really sour or salty about the single's lineup really look at it things with a slightly more open heart? not saying must but really hope you could consider some stuffs.

I'm dead worried about the backlash of this coming single? If its a "Make or Break" situation, like is this a scheme by the management? Like just to bring the expectation bar down.
    Now that Keyakizaka has 2 really good singles each one just raises the bar for the next? What if *Touchwood*, this one doesn't come out as well? Did the management place the popular members at the 2nd row to avoid the backlash? and the members in front are the one they are sacrificing to take the blame? The pressure that they are facing is insane in my opinion? No one wants to be the black sheep for sure.

Then again, its my negativity thought so yeah, but then again it might be something like what @Atreyu said which would be what i wish for!

I Really love the whole group as a whole and definitely would not want the bad things to happen to any of them! So i'm Praying for the success for the next single! if it does well, would it become a stepping stone for more of this kind of stuff to happen and more members get their chance! like Oda, Yonetani, Uemura, etc

@RelaxRelapse - I KNOW RIGHT! FUUYUKA HAS A KAZUMIN VIBE WITH HER IMO!!

15. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

To complement the Kazumin thing - Fuyuka has stated that Takayama Kazumi is her Nogiazaka oshi. It's sort of understandable that people tend to like them both at the same time, I do as well.

If there is a thing to worry about for me personally it's also the overall quality and production of the third single. @Kielize brought up a variety of possible challenges and difficulties that came with the drastic surprises we've been faced with. Don't worry about appearing too negative or overthinking, it's something normal when you deeply care about something. All the points you brought up are worth discussing.

I completely understand @jokoyamajui 's point of view because it's the same I had when Watanabe Risa was still my group favorite and the 2nd single senbatsu was announced. I knew that she had so much potential and things about her to show us, yet the sudden movement to the front row along with Manaka felt like a rush. I was unsure whether she would really prove herself in the front row, but in the end she improved her dancing significantly and became an eyecatcher with her graceful and elegant style. As nice as that was, the SekAi front row didn't leave a notable overall impression on me though, as there was massive focus on Techi in general and even in KataMira, the group as a whole was rather highlighted. So, I find it a bit regrettable that even despite having been in the front row, she didn't really leave a notable impact. At least for me, but I believe that I'm not alone with the opinion that the front rowers of the 2nd single were not that prominent.

This is the main thing I am worried about for the 3rd single: That the potential of the new front rowers is not used that well and that their appearance will be unimpressive. It has happened before (sounded worse than it actually was, but still...), however, this time the front rowers need every support and chance to shine that they can get. This chance should not be wasted.

Apart from that, I'm confident. The three best dancers (Fuyuka, Techi, Kuritaro) are in the front row. This is the chance to do the some wicked choreographies or even dancing solos or stuff like that unseen before. Takahiro should be very aware of this and knowing the quality of these three, I pray for that he'll do the necessary steps to make the very best out of them. Satoshi and Mii-chan are also highly capable, both easily as good as ZA COOL and even competitive when compaired to Yuichanzu (not vocal-wise, but dancing and expressiveness works; they're not a couple though). Aoi and Akanen aren't naturals in dancing but have other strong points. Quality-wise, this front row doesn't fall much behind the previous ones. This is why I'm not worried about the front row members themselves.

When this is really the way management wants to go, pointing out that everyone in the group is important and has a right to prove herself, it's a bit of a revolution in the genre. An amazing one indeed, and only few people disapprove of the new formation from what I see. True that nobody would have bet on this and that it's a major upset, but there are almost no outright negative comments about it. Approval -together with surprise and unsureness, of course- definitely has the majority. As I said, it looks like Keyakizaka does things the Keyakizaka way. In the idol world, things were easy to guess at times, and fandom often had a firm opinion on how a group or senbatsu has to look like. Some people just can't handle it when things are not how they want it to be or break with what was considered the standard before, but that's how it is. A group like Keyakizaka that is full of wonders and surprises leaves little room for narrow-mindedness. Expect the unexpected.

Maybe it's just me, but after she was not announced for the 3rd row my heart was already bumping thinking about that she got a promotion to the 2nd row. The moment when after Techi's announcement, Aoi was called out, I knew that it was real: She was actually brought to the front row.

16. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

I don't want to be a downer, but I think the shuffling is a prelude to switching to a smaller senbatsu. The new people in the front row are people that Takahiro or Konno-san or Aki-P think have potential, and they want to see how they do in a situation like this. Aki-P has talked about giving the group various stimuli and seeing how they respond.

If we switch to a 16-member senbatsu (or two of them), that means adding eight members to the senbatsu locks of Hirate and the new second line. Management may feel it knows what it has in the new third line but wants to see how the members in the new front line respond. Or the next single may be 3x7 too, and other third-liners may get a chance. But Fuu-chan is clearly a favorite of Takahiro's, and Suzumoto probably is, too. They are both top dancers in the group. Aoi has ballet experience and athleticism, but not much grace. Koike is popular and a decent dancer who could blossom in the spotlight. Satou Shiori has ballet experience, long legs and newfound beauty. Akanen is a prominent member who has to improve her dancing, and her popularity with the public. I think the front line is going to be put through its paces by Takahiro, who can always move people around to cover if one or more of them can't cut it. But they are getting a big chance.

Personally, I think management knows it has some winners in Hiragana, and wants to judge how many of them to bring in, either next time or the time after. So Hiragana is going to get some pressure, too. Management wants to keep Fuu-chan in the senbatsu, so they are giving her a chance to raise her popularity.

By the way, in the show, Fuu-chan said she herself wondered right to the last whether she would get called at all. I couldn't really understand the rest of what she said because she was crying and gulping. The members, even those who wished they were in the front row, showed a lot of love for her at that moment. Sugai voiced it in her blog today.

17. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Fuu-chan has just published a wonderful, wonderful blog post.

No pictures, many words -- all from the heart. She never expected to move up at all, since she was the least popular member for handshake events, for one thing. When the senbatsu was being announced, as the third row was filled, she worried that she had been dropped, but had a tiny hope that she might be put in the second row. When that was filled, she lost all hope and expected that a Hiragana would be elevated.

She was hardly paying attention when her name was called, and walked mechanically to her place, not daring to look up, out of shame that she had somehow been put in front of these better members. As she stood there in a daze, Imaizumi Yui's voice came from behind her: "Congratulations." And Zuumin grasped her shoulders. There beside her was Sugai, whom Fuu-chan called the hardest and most intensely working of all members, and the one who cared most about Keyakizaka46 as a whole.

Fuu-chan said that Keyakizaka is a very special group, full of people who refuse to lose, who are up to any challenge, who dare to step forward into situations they could never have imagined braving. Their youngest member is their centre, and their oldest is their most ponkotsu. But their apparently strong centre can be weak and dependent; and their apparently ponkotsu oldest member is always practicing away in front of a mirror just before every performance. "Close friends" is too weak a way to describe their relationship with each other.

She said that as she stood there in a daze, wondering why she had been placed where she was, with such great performers behind her, she realized she had been given a chance. And she promised not to waste it.

She added that, as she has mentioned in her blog, she has always admired Takayama Kazumi of Nogizaka46. And now, at the same time, Takayama-san had been put in the Nogizaka senbatsu -- and in exactly the same position. It made Fuu-chan so happy. She was just about to contact her...when Takayama-san contacted Fuu-chan. "I rose to Heaven."

This may seem a long post, but it is only a small portion of Fuu-chan's full post, all of which is this moving.

• Like Like x 2
  18. megawotaku

megawotaku Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Wow that made me so emotional. Ganbatte Fuu. I know you can do a wonderful job in the front.

19. jokoyamajui

jokoyamajui Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nagasawananako
    Nice write up, Ukifune. Again, I am glad to hear that they are all so close and showing support for each other. That is one of the main draws of the group, I think. Also that Imaizumi was the first!

20. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    Thanks Ukifune for the translation!
    I'm really liking the closeness of the group and the love for each other!!
    And Kazumin called Fuu-chan?~ EHH~? I'm so happy for both of them~!