1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Saito Fuyuka (Fuuchan) / 1st Generation

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 Members' started by nakotteiijan, Nov 2, 2015.

1. zurichtime

zurichtime Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sugaiyuuka
    Thank you for the translation Atreyu. I hope i can read japanese, and read her blog. Her blog seems interesting.

She's very aware her HS sales is one of the lowest among members. Yep, i agree that she is a hard-worker and serious member. She knows this is her big chance to shine. And she's shine in the MV. Her smile, dance and aura are magnificent.
    At first, I wasn't aware about her, but gradually she's growing on me. I hope more people would realize how great she is, and become her fans.

2. JadeFlower

JadeFlower Member

Twitter:
    sarahfylxr
    I'm late but I was really happy that they put her in the 1st row!

Sent with Tapatalk

3. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

Thank you for paying credit. Shows me that I'm not doing it for nothing. After all, I want her to become more popular too, as insignifcant we overseas fans might be.

But actually, most of the times, her blog isn't even that interesting. Of course, when writing almost on a daily basis, you can never always come up with a memorable or interesting entry, but you'll find other members that have a somewhat more refined and attention-drawing style of writing. From time to time though, she'll open herself up and speak sincerely about the matters that are on her mind, mostly about the group, and that's where the 'Fuuchan behind the scenes' appears. I know no other member who things this genuinely and selfless about the group as a whole like her (Techi and Yukka may be similar, but don't speak this openly about it) and accordingly earned the respect of members, staff and even TAKAHIRO alike. Those are the blog entries I feel like translating.

I personally noticed her from the very beginning when I got familiar with the group, but in a way that would not be typical among fandom to choose a favorite member, because she was that noisy and talkative brat in KeyaKake who raised her voice whenever she felt like. I liked this from the very beginning, but you may just as well go as far to call this ブスキャラ (busukyara, 'ugly character') because it's more or less the opposite of what's considered a good idols character. Take that together with some unfavorable information about her private life before she joined Keyaki, and the road to starting the career on the completely wrong foot is opened. Re-polishing an image like this is difficult.

I guess after the SaiMajo release and campaign she noticed that she wouldn't come to much like this, and changed her attitude, becoming the protective leader and dance leader of the group. She was always social but that was the time she didn't use her boldness and initiative to draw attention to herself anymore but only for the group. That's the Fuuchan we have now and that's really important for the group, as TAKAHIRO personally said in an interview. Now that she's further in the spotlight, maybe there actually is a chance that more fans who intentionally ignored her all the way until now (and tbh, I actually can understand them for reasons above) will finally notice, give her a 2nd chance, apply for her HS and find out what a cool girl she is. One single is not enough for rolling up everything though, the time will come when we'll think about Hiragana entering, possible senbatsu reduction and so on. What does the future hold?

Edit: Forgot to include the offshot of her UTB magazine feature - the magazine will go on sale tomorrow. Also, she said that tomorrow she will write about her 2nd lotte CM and maybe KeyaKake as well (the last two episodes really weren't hers, heh).

mobJ8yjkM.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  4. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    hmm, i think her blog style is rather closer to the normal way of blogging maybe? but as you said it, writing almost on a daily basis can't be super interesting everyday so definitely there are ups and downs~
    The thing that i feel is really so precious about Fuu-chan is her "behind the scenes Fuu-chan" imo
    Something that i would love to see in a documentary? like a focus on Fuu-chan maybe stepping up to do stuff and all? A side in which people dun see on screen.

For me, i took notice of her at the beginning because she had the same kinda of vibe that Kazumin had at the start? like the straightforward bluntness and just bubbly vibe? Talkative but wouldn't really group her as loud.
    Take that with a few LOL moments such as the pink obasan's headband, i just can't help but like her!

What did TAKAHIRO say about Fuuchan? I would really want to know!! Actually, idk i have a feeling that TAKAHIRO might be a small part of the reason why Fuu-chan is in front though?
    Hopefully, given the chance now, i would really like to see Fuu-chan turn the tables, turning those who didn't bother giving her a chance into her oshis.
    I agree about one single is not enough, and even so, Fuu-chan's Appearance in Futari Saison's MV i felt isn't sufficient though there's definitely an impact~
    Well, lets wait for the coupling song's MV? its said to have really tough dance?

5. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

Sorry for being late to reply. Takahiro's interview I was talking about is translated here. Generally, I think that the production of the 2nd single was very influential to form the character and unity of the group to what it is now, and Fuu definitely played her part.

The Kazumin thing - she somehow has the vibe, and at the same time somehow hasn't. I wasn't surprised reading that Takayama is her Nogizaka favorite and the two occasionally even have similar expressions, but Kazumi is way more in line with what is expected from a decent idol, both in looks and behaviour. Kazumin was just playing silly and accordingly was amusing to watch and to make fun of, Fuu on the contrary rather made fun of other members or was content with telling anecdotes that were not even that striking or funny, so that activeness (which could actually be influenced by her Kazumin admiration) backfired and resulted in a busukyara image instead of Kazumin's tennen/dork character. I also think the headband outfit was funny, but seeing it from the eyes of a conservative idol fan (which I am nowhere, but for trying to figure out the reasons for her low status) it probably was just ugly, ridiculous and -the important part- not cute. Searching around a bit on the net, you'll find the kawaikunai comment rather frequently.

But rejoice, three slots sold with the latest HS round! Slow but steady it goes.

Edit: There was a nice BLT offshot with Miyu in today's entry. She states she normally never wears twintails.
    sub-member-6333_01_jpg.jpg
    I don't know, what does everyone else say? Cute or not? I don't prefer this to the usual style but if this gives her more appeal, then why not use it more often.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    Thanks for the share!! I've read the whole thing and really i'm just speechless at how great Fuu is behind the scenes...
    A Big Thanks to @ukifune once again for the translation (although i think i was a pretty long ago post)

Fuu and Nijika is really amazing... but at the same time both of them are really under the radar...
    I really can't understand why though... Though yes the busukyara image maybe... but not really going to take that as a good reason though...

And Yes!! I'm Happy that her HS are really starting to improve!!

as for twintailed Fuu though... Rather disappointing though...
    i feel some of Fuu-chan's selfies are a lot better... but as u said... if this gives her the appeal then, i'm in for it i guess...

7. jujuchuu

jujuchuu Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    itomarika
  8. SunlitZelkova

SunlitZelkova Member

Oshimen:
    Higashimura Mei
    This is just my opinion, but I think the twintails cuter/better than it done up/in a bun (whatever it is called). She just looks better that way.

9. heavysyrup

heavysyrup Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinomiki
    Thanks for linking that interview Atreyu. I noticed in the otona wa shinjite kurenai making Fuu-chan was once again showing several members the dance steps.

Personally I think a ponytail suits her most. But I also really liked the ugly pink head band look too lol

I really hope the Girls Talk section of MuJack gets subbed. Im excited to see what exactly Fuu-chan and Takamina were talking about leadership!

10. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

I could actually give you a very crude translation of it. However, it is pretty difficult to translate properly because Fuu didn't ask really straightforward about it and Takamina was answering in a very anecdote-ish way that was sometimes difficult to understand. Moreover, a few words were difficult to hear out, also because of the background music. I'll try anyways but it may contain a mistake here and there. From the basic standpoint, I think it's correct, but a few things might be off. Consider this as some crude subtitles if you like.
    F: You know, in Keyakizaka46, the captaincy isn't decided yet, so...
    T: Ah, so it's still like that.
    F: So, in many situations, those who can give directions usually do, but when it's time to perform for example, I'm often being advised to speak out to the others, and I'd also be ready to be disliked*, so...
    (*She likely refers to the image that a leader sometimes has to make difficult decisions that will cause disagreement or won't please everyone, and she's ready to take such a responsibility.)
    T: That's right. If you say something and a younger girl would say 'yes!' and listens to you, you would want to know what kind of character it has when you become somebody who's a bit aloof.
    F: There are some members that are always thanking me for encouraging them, and I'm really happy about that and could say I would also endeavor because of this...
    T: Being respected could be the most important thing about it. If you become egocentric and like 'I just say something to be cool' you just become like a haribote**. I often saw this in AKB, where the girls who didn't want to clean up were told 'Come on, clean up!' but then were like 'You're not really convincing, y'know'. Girls often display their easiness, don't they. It can become like 'That girl can't do this. I don't listen to what she tells me', so for example when it's about dancing, you should first of all practice on your own and make it work first, so when they're being told by somebody who can do it they'll also follow along and say 'alright, we do it'. So in this regard, the respect comes up. If you're really after it, they will listen to you, I believe. When you can put your efforts in because the others are thankful, it would be really painful if they wouldn't do it anymore, right? (To the others) A lot of strength lies within everyone's thankfulness, so please give it to her!

(**A haribote seems to be a large paper figure, like it's displayed on streets or outside of shops. It could be meant in a way that when you're just egocentric, you're just standing there for nothing - equivalent of calling somebody a scarecrow.)

This should be more or less it. I don't do subs and only translate an interview or blog here and there, so it's better to leave the whole thing to somebody who has a better unstanding.
    I understand this in a way that Fuu actually would readily accept the captaincy for the group and wanted to get some advice by Takamina for it.
    Although she'd be in question for this, I personally would say the captaincy should not be decided before the way Hiragana Keyaki is being dealt with is decided, because the captain -should there be one- equally has to represent all parts of the group. Also, the popularity gap could be problematic for it. So far, inofficial captaincy was shared between members, with Techi representing the group in most TV shows, Yuuka taking the mic on-stage during live events, and Fuyuka assisting dance lessons and MV productions, encouraging members or just showing who's the boss when some discipline is needed. So far, I see no reason to re-arrange this.

The best part of the shows that evening was Tsundere Fuuchan anyways, in the short parts after the members' self-introduction. If you're curious what she said, here's a translation:

if the video does not show watch the video here
    At 3:30:
    'Man... it's really simple actually. Just why don't you notice it? I told you that I'm into you.'
    <3

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  11. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    Sorry this would really come out as a rant...
    but SIGHHHHH i'm really disappointed honestly... really really disappointed!
    Fuuchan's PV... i'm really disappointed.
    Here's her PV
    https://www.facebook.com/Keyakizaka46ID/videos/1206510242760406/
    I wonder if there's a overall theme for all the PVs
    But Fuuchan's PV imo doesn't bring out Fuuchan's Charm... i've watched the 2nd single PV and i feel that does bring out her charms a lot more... which makes it really annoying that it could be done a lot better... the whole PV has parts where Fuuchan looks great but overall it looks really awkward and stiff (TAT)

12. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

Fuu-chan seems to experience the general upward trend the whole group has in a notable way too. She slowly sells her HS slots one by one and didn't only lead her own five-member group in today's KeyaKake but actually the whole group despite candidates like Sugai-sama or Akanen being present. On matome sites and twitter, there's praise for her recent achievements, most notably for her improving looks and expressions as a first liner, and Keyakizaka46 SHOW's performances of Saison and Otona in particular. There, her massive dance moves have finally been highlighted and recognized.
    mm161210-2347170275 (1).jpg
    Here is a gif of the impactful dancing she and Miyu are performing:

http://i2.wp.com/keyakizaka46ch.biz/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/wpid-7gw4Com-2.gif

To me, there's no doubt that TAKAHIRO created several aspects of the single's choreography with the knowledge that he has reliable dancers in the front he can count on. Not only did he do that with Techi's Saison solo and Miyu's and Fuyuka's extreme movement in Otona, but with his involvement in the group, he was able to create a mini-dance for every member, effectively affirming his inofficial role as the 22nd member of Kanji Keyaki.

I'm unsure about whether we will ever see her again in such a highlight as recently after the 3rd single activities end (which will probably be around March), so I'm cherishing every performance she can conduct now. To be honest, I was pretty worried at the beginning whether she would be able to profit strongly out of the shocking promotion to the front. Recently, I'm more assured about this though.

13. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    Thanks for sharing!!
    I'm a glad her HS slots are getting sold gradually! i hope this upward climb doesn't stop here, and really continue to push forward~

Regarding this week's Keyakake, i was really surprised that she kinda took the lead for the whole thing, yes with Sugai-sama and Akanen who are too reliable to take the lead! I wonder why the team had that sudden change too, but i'm glad that it happened~ and her amount of concentration is amazing imo.. that game which she played for the strawberry treat.

I think TAKAHIRO is really amazing in his own way? I would really love to see another interview on his views again. Previously on Sekai, he's view on the song was really unique? thus the dance was choreograph based on that view on the song? Kataruna, if i recall properly too had its own story and idea behind.

I'm really interested to see an interview for the songs this time too!
    Also, he did say that the members dance tend to get polished every performance chance they get, i definitely agree with that, seeing Techi's Solo from a little awkward to now really fluid and had a good impact overall. Fuuchan's improvement definitely caught the attention of the fans and is getting a great amount of love for that, hopefully it'll go on and get better and better!

I think it was the 1st time we saw Otona's full song(Correct me if i'm wrong) and with the camera help, indeed we did see TAKAHIRO's craft. Definitely amazing, with the members mini solo parts here and there, Fuuchan and Suzumon's dance too were amazing! I hope that more of these small bits and pieces of amazing dance would be shown more with the help of the cameraman too (like rehearsing beforehand and stuff like that)

I would really take back my words that i said before about being disappointed and all... I'm really glad at how Fuuchan is doing now... it was a slightly shaky start but i think Fuuchan has definitely capitalized on her chance seeing that there's so much praise and Fuuchan is definitely gonna grow further from this big chance.

P.S: I'm definitely adding TAKAHIRO into Katagana keyaki together with Tsucchi IMO though Tsucchi is still the center LOL

14. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Loved this photo from her blog post posted around nine hours ago. I believe this is one of her outfits from the weekend handshake event:

sub-member-6789_jpg_640.jpg

15. heavysyrup

heavysyrup Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinomiki
    [​IMG]
    I read that initially the staff wanted Neru in Fuu-chan's usual position in Kouhaku. I'm glad Neru asked to be moved somewhere else. I'm also glad Fuu-chan brought this up on her blog (apparently? I have not seen a translation).

The bond and dynamic of this group is really special.

16. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

I wrote about it from Neru's point of view here. But here's a quick translation of what Fuu-chan wrote in this post:
    21-person Silent Majority.
    Neru! Neru! Neru! Neru! Neru!

To be able to dance it together was really great.
    I've spoken with Neru about SaiMajo so many time before
    And heard Neru's feelings,
    So to dance it with her at last makes me so happy.

During rehearsals, until partway through Neru was at the far left end of the third line.
    But she made a request to Takahiro-sensei to change with me. [note: that put Fuu-chan on the outside and Neru one spot in.]

Because being on the end of the third line made her so nervous... lol lol

At the line "hito ga afureta kousaten wo doko e yuku", when we face outward,
    Because there are more people in the third line, there is no one in the sight-line to the end person, and it made her quite nervous!

I'll end that digression here. ( ^ω^ )
    I'm not sure if Fuu-chan is implying Neru wasn't really that nervous and was just being kind to her or not. But I myself think kindness was at least a part of Neru's motivation. She probably really was nervous, but she also knew that Fuu-chan (a) deserved to be there and (b) was a better dancer than she. And she also knew that it would be good for the feelings of the group: management is pushing Neru, and it is in her nature to try to do things to stop that from making people resent her. Your picture of the two of them together shows the cordial way they interact, the mutual respect between them, and I think also the fact that Neru is consulting her dance guru, Fuu-chan.

Here's the photo in a thumbnail, in case a mod deletes it for being too big:

IMG_2849.jpg

17. Atreyu

Atreyu Kenkyuusei

The recent KEYABINGO! episode indirectly brought out some aspects of Fuu-chan's character again.

Interesting to see was that for Ozeki Rikotarou, Fuu-chan in the end was the only one who choose 'him'. She also explained her reason to do so in the show, but it was not shown in the broadcast version, as she wrote in her blog.

Her reason was that she believes herself to be somebody who is taking the intiative, so probably she would be a good fit with somebody like Rikatarou (who was shown as a bit of an inexperienced and insecure boy). On the other hand, 'come with me' types like Risao or Manaki might not be the right match for her, she writes. Always complemented with 'I don't really know though (laughs) (laughs)' at the end though.

Fuu-chan is not a textbook idol or even textbook date by general Japanese standards (that favor male lead and traditional gender roles by far), that's pretty much a fact. But as for me, I think this is even the point about her. It's because of this straightforward personality why she can be the secret 'chief' of the group, rising members morale and leading the pack in dance lessons. And although she should know by herself that her personality might not be the most desirable by a traditional point of view, she's still honest about it in her blog or during the 'dating message' part in Keyabingo 1.

That personality -shared partially with Odanana- is one of the main reasons why these two don't sell well, but one of the main reasons why she's my #1, it just makes me want to support her even more because from my (culturally western) point of view, they both are a type of woman who can bring it to success and earn respect in work and society and appear good to get along with, much in contrast to the image of a traditional idol character who's inciting protective feelings and appears weak and dependant. I want unorthodox types to succeed, they have their right in the business too.

I guess not many will share my opinion but I'm fine with it. Eccentric people might come to eccentric oshimen choices. I'll end this entry with a nice picture from a recent blog entry.

sub-member-7091_02_jpg.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Meiji Ishin

Meiji Ishin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    horimiona
    I agree with you, Saito an interesting case for me because early on she did nothing for me, but she has become more attractive to me over time.I appreciate her strength and self awareness. I found Oda Nana attractive from the get go, she just doesn't look typically Japanese (If you told me she was Persian I wouldn't bat an eye.) plus she's a smart-ass and the great thing about a smart-ass is at least they are smart.
    My unusual taste is probably why I find myself drifting away from trad-idols more towards alt and anti idols over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kielize

Kielize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    fukagawamai
    Thanks for the translation! I guess my hinge on why she picked Ozeki was close i guess... (Kinda guessed she'll think taking the reins of the relationship instead of usual)

I'm not sure if you guys feel that way, but i think Fuuchan's personality is kinda because she's kinda really practical as well as mature for her age (Don't let her mature way of thinking or doing things scam you, she's 18)
    She and OdaNana are really 2 of the unique personality in which really require the chance and really the right time to pick up fans imo, honestly being placed in the front for Futari Saizon really path that chance Fuuchan requires and based of random Mobame's comments, Fuuchan is indeed being noticed a lot more and there's even a post that she's really beautiful (However, there are people saying its the Front row effect =.=")

20. 21_lalawel

21_lalawel Kenkyuusei

I know everyone has their opinion but I find it weird that they think Saito looks beautiful because of a "front row effect" XD I always thought she was one of the top in terms of look in Keyaki when I first saw them XD

• Agree Agree x 1