1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

SEO48? Create a new group brainstorm

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by kenchanayoh, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Aisansan

Aisansan Kenkyuusei

And that's the problem then. If AKB copied KPop styles....well they wouldn't be AKB or JPop.
    Though I have no problem with AKB improving dancing and singing style..forget Rap and Hot/Short pants which seem endemic between all KPop groups and not sexy at all.

And it would be my worst nightmare for AKB to appear anything like KPoP...which to my Personal taste is so boring
    and highly repetitious in dance and style between all their groups...and they seem to Hate having any melody, and 50% of everything filmed with soft focus. Yeh...I am fairly pissed at KPoP which I consider fake over produced copy of American pop. grrr

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. brunoiaz

brunoiaz Kenkyuusei

Realistically I don't think expanding to Western countries would work out really well. Indonesia was a good option, but going to China or South Korea is quite risky. There is Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand etc. too but there are a lot of factors to think about it (Idol culture, piracy, local music industry, acceptance of Japanese culture etc.).

But, not going all political about it, on a perfect world I would love to see a more "diverse" 48 group. They could do this on Japan, including subcultures in it (Yankee, Gyaru, Lolita etc.), having members from different ages and all. With each member being very unique (Nachu, anyone?). And denpa music. AKB48 going crazy, basically haha That's a true rival group Thinking about something more normal (but less fun :awesome:), it would be interesting to see a "regular" 48 group on a more racially diverse country. Or maybe a group with one member per country and...OK I will stop :fear:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SorrowAir

SorrowAir Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    The idol culture is different for the 2.

For Korean, idol are about producing "Gods/Goddess", object of "Perfection"
    One that you can see, but you cannot touch because they're so perfect they're only accessible through TV unless they allow you to touch them.
    They're trained for years, and immediately thrown on TV.
    "Let me introduce to you the new gods that you can love!"
    "Look at them sing, look at the way they dance... Perfect isn't it? Adore them and pay for their perfection."

They're distant beings.

While in Japan. It's about girls you want to support.

In AKB it's even more different.
    It's about the girl next door who's chasing her dream, and if you're a fan of the girl next door, you can support her by pushing her into stardom.
    You watch as the girl next door grows... She released a CD? She worked so hard lately, maybe I should buy one to support her.
    Those girls are mere mortal, they're very close to you, they struggle like you..
    They're very nearby.

"Did she sing better now? She grew taller? She's better at variety now?"

AKB's idol lives and dies because of fans, and we play a part in supporting them so they get to be on TV.
    AKB's idol concept in itself is unique.

They don't sell you music, they don't sell you looks.
    What they sell you, is "TIME", the very limited time of youth that they have, where they strive to make it into entertainment industry.

Because of this, I feel more attach to 48G than any other artist/group on the planet.
    Below is my opinion, my take of idols from JPN and KOR
    Kpop artist are object of perfection, they're like Michael Bay movie, very flashy, very exciting, but little to no attachment.
    48G idols are harder to accept, they're crude, unpolished, and sometimes grating... but once you found the lovable rough stone that you feel can become a diamond, it's almost impossible to let go. You may not even want the stone to become diamond, just into ruby will do, you just want it to be better and happy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    Looks like Korea is starting to flirt with the idea of how a massive girl group ala AKB48 would look like:

if the video does not show watch the video here

Anyway, these 99 girls are part of an idol survival reality program called Produce101.
    http://www.allkpop.com/article/2015...ees-of-mnets-new-survival-program-produce-101
    http://www.koreaboo.com/video/113797/

---
    Realistically speaking, (like in the previous similar thread to this one) an intl 48 Group in Korea isn't likely to achieve success because of too many factors. However, a massive girl group would definitely create some buzz in the Korean idol world.

Just imagine Myao in a Korean 48 Group lol

5. honeyNUT

honeyNUT Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Twitter:
    satominameme
    Myao, Danna, & Moe in SEO48 and voila! PERFECTION

i don't know much about the hallyu music scene but if SEO48 happened the only difference it'll have with SNH is JP members can actually perform with them, and better overall performance skills

6. YuiNounen

YuiNounen Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteama
    veeeeeery well said.
    ----
    can we take crayon pop as one of the example? this group has quite similarity with J-idol, they often did guerrilla perform on their early days, and always perform their new single on the street before release it to the market, heck they even have wota-like supporters who do chant/mix which normally you dont see to any other k-pop group.
    they're not strugling, but after the bar bar bar single theyre not so popular as of now (correct me if im wrong)

the formation of seo48 is not impossible, but it would be very hard (SEO46 would be easier imo)

and what i want now is overseas rival sister group (46G) in China and Indonesia :hehe:

• Like Like x 1
  7. emiche.

emiche. Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    tanoyuuka
    SEO48 would be pretty interesting.
    But a 48 group in Europe would never work NEVER especially in France. We have a strong music industry sure but not very acceptable of those kind of trends. You should see the medias when they're are dealing with kpop or even more rarely jpop. Let me tell you it's not in the kinder terms. France is so not ready for idols. I could have in the early 00s because we had boysband and girlsband but this trend died and has been buried since.

8. Hafiz

Hafiz Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    obamina
    That korean massive group with 99 girls is just... too barely trying to look a like AKB. I mean, the school uniform is very identic to AKB. And also how they dance (moving those hips) while wearing school uniform looks like some rich high school students working for a love hotel.
    --------
    I think they shouldn't expand to another country anymore. Even another national sister groups. AKB current state is pretty good. They already have a big fanbase that will keep the business even with less promotions.

JKT and SNH is already a succes. The risk they took did give a nice comeback. As for JKT, there were already a lot of fans by the time JKT announced. And also in Indonesia there are a lot of Japanese culture enthusiast. Japanese culture is already familiar in most big cities of Indonesia. They took the right step. But they didnt take the opportunity right. JKT is very lack of events, promotions, etc. I dont think they can make another intl sisgroups and treat them like JKT --yeah it maybe because of the sponsors but heck why u no give original song, Aki-p???

9. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    IIRC in an interview SNH's manager/someone important said that SNH will try to go for the K-pop is look instead of following JPN48. Aside from spreading their influence in China, SNH are also trying to reach for South Korea public. After all, their enemy in China is not just Chinese artist but also Korean boyband and girlband

10. natsunishi

natsunishi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Iriyama Anna
    The only thing I can say about the video is that I'm glad that 48G doesn't try to mix dubstep into their song... That "Pick Me" song was a disaster imho

11. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    No. Just... no.

Firstly, this would never happen because Avex doesn't want anyone touching their precious South Korean monies, even if it is a fellow Japanese company.

Secondly, the Korean public itself is just about as hostile to idols as the Japanese one is, if not more. Remember that Matsuko announcement where she was like "AKB is the shame of Japan"? That's basically the Japanese/Korean attitude towards idols. People in those two countries HATE idols, of all stripes and shapes.

Thirdly, the attitude towards Japanese cultural products is ambivalent at best and downright hostile, to be realistic. The entire Hallyu investment circle was created precisely because the South Korean government was freaking out about having to get rid of their import ban on Japanese entertainment products - I still remember smuggling in things from Narita airport that my family and friends in Korea wanted. The backlash in China against SNH48 ain't nothing compared to what would happen against an idol group, Japanese style, in South Korea.

12. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    There are AKB fans in Korea but they would just be considered as a niche fanbase at most.

To give an example on how Koreans think about Japanese style in Korean music scene, take a look at ICONIQ story:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconiq

• Like Like x 1
  13. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    ICONIQ isn't really a good example. She was marketed as a Korean celebrity first and then shipped over to Japan when she didn't really gain any popularity in Korea.

Quite frankly, Japanese music IS popular in Korea. I would say it's something like 2nd or 3rd most popular import, after the US in terms of musical imports (depending on how the UK does in any given year). Japanese still remains the 2nd most popular foreign language to learn, both in part due to our history and the fact that Japanese is so freaking easy to learn for any Korean. It's like a French person learning Spanish - only new words, not a lot in terms of grammar. It's just that idols wouldn't catch on that well, in a market that is freaking SATURATED with idols.

14. evile1690

evile1690 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    evile1690
    The reason I brought her up was that Koreans had an issue with her strong Japanese accent while singing in Korean and the fact that she is half-Japanese as well. Because of strong national pride, Koreans tend to easily reject anything from Japan without even checking it out.

As such, same would probably happen for a sister group in Korea. The fact that AKB/48G concept is from Japan would probably turn off the general public so fast and the would-be Korean sister group wouldn't stand a chance.

15. ABF48

ABF48 Member

If you're kpopers who is also at the same time wota like me, i think you will support this idea of SEO48. Who cares about they fail or not, i just want to see how 48G market strategy (HS+SSK) will work in korea [hehe] (and so far i have high expectation to their success, because well~ if SNH and JKT have succeded in their own country, i think SEO48 would do so)

I always put my idol standard based on Kpop, and i would say 48/46 is really lacking the appeals.

so, let put it in simple..

Imagine they created an idol group who have high standard like Kpop idol, but also at the same time have marketing strategy like what 48/46 group do. :blink:

16. minaeshi

minaeshi Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Twitter:
    minaeshit
    It wont work.

Remember Super Junior? Yeah, when they were created, they were inspired by Morning Musume's system of having a rotational boy group that adds and graduates members every so often so that they could maintain the groups popularity for a long time. They started off with 12 members, but when they added the 13th member Kyuhyun, fans complained (and some still do even today, 10 years later) about his addition, saying they didn't need any more members. It was even worse when they added two Chinese members Zhoumi and Henry. Fans suddenly started chanting "ONLY 13" and you will still see fans doing that today.

After School also tried to have a similar system of being a rotational girl group like AKB. They started off with five members, added a few more, and then a few more, and it started going well until members started to graduate from the group. The members are talented, with amazing vocals and dance skills, but once the popular ones left and the new girls weren't polished enough for kpop fans and viewers standards to keep following the group, the group went downhill. Now you barely here from them.

What I'm getting at here is that. With JPOP idols, we watch them start off as a blank canvas, and over the years you see them grow and you support them on their journey to success. With KPOP idols, we watch them at solid perfection from the moment they debut and watch how they try out different concepts. Kpop fans aren't interested in seeing a group that lacks in vocals and dancing, they want to see groups that are stellar from the start. They don;t like the idea of members leaving groups and new members joining, look at the reaction of fans when JYJ left DBSK or when Kris, Luhan and Tao left EXO.

Also note how uninterested Japan is when it comes to KPOP. Yes, there was a boom of people liking KPOP in japan around 2009-11 (mainly because of DBSK, BoA and KARA's influence), but since then the hype has died. The only sales the kpop groups get is from their japanese fanbase and they're hardly ever shown on music shows promoting their singles. The only groups I see on japanese shows are SHINee and DGNA (Daikoku Danji).

The JPOP scene and KPOP scene are so different from each other, and there are SO many examples showing why having a jpop themed group in Korea just wont work out.

• Like Like x 1
  17. plomeplome

plomeplome Upcoming Girls

Its not a girl group, those 98 girls are fighting to be a 10 member 1 year temporary girlgroup

18. piyochama

piyochama Member

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    @evile1690 actually, Koreans are huge suckers for a lot of Japanese entertainment, especially if it was remade with Korean casting. So yeah, I think they're fine.

@minaeshi has it right. Koreans are perfectionists - they don't want to see a bunch of untalented youngsters grow up to be something huge, they want to see perfection from the get go. The two fan bases are different, and the Koreans who do like Jpop idols are a niche, it simply won't be enough to grow it to the size of AKB.

FWIW HS and events are plenty common in South Korea. This is the only reason why they even sell physical copies at all, so the "list of top physical sellers" is basically like Oricon (because they do HS, live events, etc. as well).

19. milkshrine

milkshrine Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Ayane
    reviving this thread because i'm actually working on a personal project thats a 48g spinoff about a fictional magical girl idol group called maj47 and their rival group mimicry49 :D

they're both international groups, so they have members from all over the world, ive only finished the designs for team m so far, but maybe i'll post the rest later when i finish them !

[​IMG]

plus these are the concept boards i have for them: maj47 / mimicry49

if anyone has any suggestions for me feel free to let me know ^_^

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. CamelToenails10

CamelToenails10 Kenkyuusei

IZONE was the closest we got. I would have aligned them with AKB more by having them release the Korean Ver of some AKB songs.
    Anywayz. SEO48, BUS48 should start with remakes then have original songs like JKT did. Their concepts should be Kpop, only to compete, but keep AKB image.
    So UZA, Beginner, River, How Come, first then some originals after like 2 years or something. To be unique from other KPop groups, they would have some natural talent but not manufactured-like.
    They should have a theater built in or near the company they sign with (probably Hybe, SM, or JYP). Positions might just be a main vocalist, like Takamina was. No need for a visual since it would rotate. Nor a rapper because, 'come on, its AKB!

• Like Like x 2