1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Should AKB48 be in the Opening Ceremony of the 2020 Olympics?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kuchi-Chan, Feb 2, 2015.

1. mochichan

mochichan Kenkyuusei

If you trying to say why Japanese idols don't work here in US is just bc people here are over groups in general and think they're cheesy. Fifth Harmony is the closest to a "popular group" we got and most people barely know them beside that one Worth it song.
    Also aestically AKB isn't US's taste bc "they looks like 12 yrs old pedobait" and their hyper happy pop music sounds outdated/juvenile or just too different to western ear. Kpop groups have better success in western world bc they dress in contemporary style and their music is usually mature sounding and similar to western music.

Idol culture is generally looked down and seen as nerdy even in Japan so I agree they're acquired taste outside of Japan but it's just the way you wrote that is kinda whut

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Nah lol. Unless you can achieve perfect pitch and dancing sync with 300+ teenage girls to bring a show that will blow everyone's minds away out of the sheer awesomeness (Frankly, I won't accept anything less that the whole JPN48 slaying UZA or BwT-like realness on stage for that sort of event), I'd rather have World Order and an army of robot backdancers to provide my big crowd show shenanigans. 48G is really cool and I love it, but I don't know if their overall performance is Olympic Opening level. AKB48 is relatively well-known in the west, what with the Wreck It Ralph movie and the scandals and that sort of stuff, but I don't know if they should be in this one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  3. richard durbano

richard durbano Kenkyuusei

Your comments are exactly right. I've been trying to get my friends interested in AKB FOR YEARS and they all think I'm either a pedophile or mentally challenged or a complete idiot. They simply don't get it, so I've given up. You are correct. It is an acquired taste. When I see AKB, I see beautiful personable young Japanese women, in great outfits doing well-rehearsed dance moves to fantastic audience-friendly songs.They see something completely different. All they, obviously, always will.

4. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    Opening ceremonies, absolutely not. Since when do pop groups perform during those? Maybe the closing ceremonies.

5. Nieru

Nieru Kenkyuusei

Bring out the tank too for BwT like at the spring concert.. that will surely go well at the olympics :lol:

6. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Scrap AKB altogether and send Tank-chan as a solo artist :^O^:

7. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    The Olympics in London had 54 acts in the closing ceremonies. If you can name 54 acts the represent Japan better than AKB48, then you might be right that they won't be in the Olympics. The opening ceremony used lots of recorded acts, for example, during the parade of nations. If they don't appear in person during the opening, their music might.

"The parade was accompanied by mainly British popular songs, including "Galvanize" by Chemical Brothers, "West End Girls" by Pet Shop Boys, "The Hindu Times" by Oasis, "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele, "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees and both "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Beautiful Day" by Irish band U2, with Great Britain entering to David Bowie's song "Heroes"."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_opening_ceremony
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics_closing_ceremony

8. trxsh

trxsh Member

^Except British pop music is pretty iconic throughout the world whereas Japanese idols are kind of a niche thing.

9. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    In Beijing, they had Chinese opera, classical Chinese dance, and erhu performances, not top 40, hip-hop, and electric guitar. In other words, they put forth their own culture, not the west's. I would expect Japan to do the same, present Japanese culture without worrying too much as to whether Japanese culture is popular in the US. My guess: someone will sing Ue o Muite Aruko (aka Sukiyaki). Now there is something Japanese that is well known in the west (or was 50 years ago), hitting number one in Australia, Canada, and the US, in addition to in Japan.

Personally, I would like to see AKB48 appear in kimonos and hakamas singing Sakura no Shiori. That represents Japanese culture and wouldn't offend anyone in the west. AKB48 is more than bikinis (as Paruru has proven).

10. roxyakbbliss48

roxyakbbliss48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Twitter:
    sailorcadetR
    maybe not for the opening but i would kinda want to see them in the closing but whatever happens im still excited for it

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  11. edwn

edwn Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuisakiko
    I don't think they should but they probably will.

12. honeyNUT

honeyNUT Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Twitter:
    satominameme
    I also don't think they should but i rather have them than than U's anytime. I rather have a bunch of idols who dances for a living than a bunch if voice actresses in their 30s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Radioactive Man

Radioactive Man Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ichikawamiori
    I think they will - and here is why.......

If the opening ceremony was this weekend, I dont think they would be involved. Idol culture and "kawaii" is wasted on the west and many many people see videos like Heavy Rotations and Labrador Retriever and think its just weird perverted crap for old men. They completely miss the point because they dont know about idols and kawaii etc etc etc and the Japanese people know this and do not wished to be embarrassed .....ENTER BABYMETAL.....BABYMETAL are becoming absolutely f**king huge at the moment all over the world. There is so much love for them, its crazy. They are winning awards and playing to sold out stadiums and festivals. They are breaking down borders and making friends all over the world. People who have never spoken a word of Japanese in their lives and probably never would are learning their lyrics and singing along at their sold out concerts.

This is important to AKB because BABYMETAL are essentially an idol group. They came from Sakura Gakuin. BABYMETAL are introducing the world to kawaii and idol culture in a way that they can understand. Three cute girls dancing around in tutus would never have been popular if it wasnt mixed with something they can understand. BABYMETAL are opening people's eyes to idol culture. You only need to read some of the comments on their YouTube videos. They are all in English and many many many people say things like "wow...really didnt think I'd like this"....."I am a metal fan, but their dancing is amazing!" etc etc.

BABYMETAL (who I dont think will be together in 2020) have paved the way, and AKB can follow. I think the world will be introduced to idol culture and understand it better and not just dismiss it as some weird Japanese sub-culture that is only for perverted old men. 2020 is a long way away and if AkiP really wants AKB at the opening ceremony he needs to start thinking about being more global. i.e. subbing things!!! making their music available to people outside of Asia!!!!!! taking the girls to Eurupe & NA more. He has shown very little interest in the global market so far. He needs to change that if he wants the world to accept them.

14. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

The thing is that HE HIMSELF has said he isn't thinking of such thing.

From: https://allthingsjpop.wordpress.com...sibilities-of-48group-in-tokyo-2020-olympics/

Also, have in mind that just because the Olympics are held in Japan it doesn't mean there HAS TO BE Japanese artists only in it.

Remember Celine Dion (Canadian) in Atlanta?
    Remember Bjork (Icelandic) in Athens?
    Remember Sarah Brightman (English) in Beijing?

They could get Beyonce if they freaking want to lol

15. honeyNUT

honeyNUT Member

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Twitter:
    satominameme
    Now i'm imagining AKB girls wallkimg pass Beyone and watching her perform. And then all the AKB girls will doubt their self esteem and have aneotional breakdown.

16. noTKMNnoLIFE

noTKMNnoLIFE Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayanagiakane
    As it stands now, they should have some part in the opening or closing, they've earned it.
    Their impact on pop culture is undeniable: their music is everywhere, their faces are everywhere, their stars and former stars appear in all kinds of TV and theater beyond the idol business, they've expanded into a massive brand that even extends outside of Japan. Awards, sales records, world records, etc. etc.

Idol culture in general may still be considered niche, but AKB's impact on pop culture can hardly be called niche anymore. If there is any significant amount of time dedicated to pop culture (and I'm betting there will be, after seeing the PM Abe dressed as Super Mario in Rio) then AKB48G should be a part of it.

If the only reason they're overlooked is because some think it would be "embarrassing" or whatever, that's really weak. These ceremonies are supposed to be about embracing and celebrating what makes your country different, not acting like self-conscious school kids worried about looking cool to the other countries. Besides, if you're not ashamed to have your PM dress up as a silly video game character, you shouldn't be ashamed of a group of girls performing songs in cute clothes. Not to mention what a great Cinderella story it is to go from amateurs performing in their small theater stages to literally performing in front of the world and making their dreams come true. (and don't think they wouldn't bust their asses to make sure the performance was up to those standards)

It's still a long ways off though. Lots can change in that time. But I don't believe for a second they aren't already looking ahead to 2020 and thinking, how can we be a part of that (and have people on our side)?

17. trxsh

trxsh Member

Well sure, didnt say the Olympics should be limited to "top 40" (which AKB is obviously always in anyway) or say anything about bikinis lol, I don't really take part in the bikini and gravure hysteria around here except to giggle about people being drama queens. I was only pointing out that the assumption AKB must be there as they are among the top 50 Japanese pop acts, with the comparison to the 50 British pop acts in their ceremony, is silly- given that jpop's relevance is nothing in comparison to British pop's impact on the world as a whole and has been for a few generations.

Not that I dont think AKB should be there. I think it would be fine and not really shocking; AKB is as whitebread as it gets for idol groups. And they can just rehearse properly and not learn the steps the day of filming and all these things they complain about lol. Obviously if they were there it would be balanced out by other more "serious" acts as well.

/edit: reading @noTKMNnoLIFE comment I agree it would pretty much make sense to include them if they were doing a "cool Japan" section (or whatever they call it now.)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  18. PetalidiStelle

PetalidiStelle Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    This may or may not be off-topic, but is Aki-P even doing or planning to do anything for the Olympics? I see lots of speculating but I don't remember seeing official news.
    I can see it happening, because the man has connections, but I picture it having lots of OG members... Kind of like Spice Girls, lol. (This kinda looks like a stage48.txt tier sentence)
    I don't think it's counting as a deciding factor for graduations right now.

19. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    As far as news goes, I remember last updated info was he didn't have plans for it...but that was like 2 years ago and who knows what is on his mind (or what is he smoking) now since he seems going yolo with this world AKB domination thing and Yoshimotozaka46 lmao

20. PetalidiStelle

PetalidiStelle Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Twitter:
    petalidistellee
    I see, thanks!
    Well, idk, but if he's going to do anything, I think it will be one out of two options: AKB48(Group) because it's the best known of his groups overseas, or Nogi/Keya/Sakamichi to push them to the foreign market, which their management seems having been starting to do.
    I'd say along with Babymetal, AKB is still one of the best idol representatives of Japan right now, but both groups are not at the best of shapes. I wonder if they'll do some kind of fan poll as they did with the anime characters; that is, if they're really intending to enter an idol representative.