1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Songs ♥heart of AKB48♥ - a lyrics translation/analysis blog

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Theatre' started by loveandcoffee, Nov 9, 2010.

1. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

I did it! ♥

Songs ♥heart of AKB48♥

Since I LOVE Japanese lyrics and I think Akimoto-sensei is really one of the greatest lyricists still around, and since I want to continue somehow my academic researches on Japanese lyrics despite having graduated and not being able to continue for a number of reasons ._. I decided to open this blog.
    I know there's already Studio48 for translations, but I see this is something rather different: not a database, but a place where not only translations, but also analysis of the lyrics, background information and such can be found. Of course, all the translations will be done from scratch by me. See it as a fanblog, except that instead of raving about a girl, I do so about lyrics XD

A decent layout will come soon, but I've already written my first post~ and I couldn't help beginning with, well, "Beginner". Check it out!
    Beginner

Please give me some feedback, if you can! I would really love to know what you think about my project. Thank you m(_ _)m

2. ra-nyan

ra-nyan Kenkyuusei

It seems like a really nice idea.. I really like Akimoto-sensei's lyrics too.. Some of his lyrics are just so beautiful.. I sometimes talk about them with my sister even though she doesn't care nor respond to me (xD) so it's nice to read insights and analysis on it from others.. I support this :approve: Gotta bookmark it xD..

BTW, I read your Beginner entry and it was a nice read.. I can relate with what you mentioned and I.... should really post this comment and more on your blog :XD: .. but yeah, nice choice for a first entry :)

3. maxaroni

maxaroni Kenkyuusei

Just added you to my reader :3

I can't wait to read some more :3

I've always loved AKB's lyrics so i can't wait to read some more posts~

4. issa

issa Kenkyuusei

Congratulations on getting started! ♥
    I enjoyed reading your entry about Beginner alot. It's such a strong lyrics, and it also brings up things that I think everyone can relate to in a way or another. Something Akimoto Sensei is very skillful at accomplishing. I'm especially looking forward to seeing you bring up alot of the older AKB lyrics in the future. Since lyrics can be understood differently depending on different perspectives and situations it's always intresting to read analysis, in fact, I think there should be more blogs like yours out there. XD It gives an insight on others reactions ofcourse, but it also gives yourself a chance to see things from different perspectives.

So yeah, good luck!
    I added you to my blogroll. :B

5. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

I'm horrible at interpreting lyrics, so this blog is a great idea! It's interesting to see the meanings behind songs and it makes you appreciate them a lot more, too. I really liked your Beginner entry. :D

And I added you to my blogroll as well! (I see you added me already~)

6. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

Thank you all *bows* I'm so happy if you're interested in it!
    If anyone wants to exchange links, do let me know! I just went ahead and copied from Google Reader all the links to the blogs that I read regularly, but I'm sure I've missed some, so drop me a PM in case :)

Since I'm still super high about finally starting this blog, I've already published a second post!
    I'm going to run a little 3-post series featuring team songs.
    First is Team A - Pioneer.

The layout is coming in the next few days, the friend who designed it for me is giving the last touches to the code now :D And yes I plan on posting older songs, too. I also plan on doing more themed series after the team songs one ^o^b

7. bou-j525

bou-j525 Kenkyuusei

Nice blog ^^

I read both Beginner and Pioneer and it's so true ! XD I like to read them, just keep on going [clap]
    By the way
    REALLY? Hard to believe XD

8. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

9. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

First unit song I did: Kuchi utsushi no chocolate.
    (Yeah, idk why either. Don't ask. I just love it. XD)

Also, I've put up a little poll here cause I can't decide what stage songs to do next, so help me decide and vote for what you would like to read? Pretty please? *w*

10. sada

sada Kenkyuusei

I really like your blog. It's helped me understand the songs a lot more than before with just translations.

THANK YOU <3

11. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

Re: Songs ♥heart of AKB48♥ - a lyrics translation/analysis b

Thanks to everyone who partecipated in the poll!
    I've finally finished posting the top three (I've been too busy than I would've liked to) :

1. Mushi no ballad
    2. Itoshiki Natasha
    3. Mori e ikou

I'd be happy if you checked them out. *bows*

12. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

I finally had time to post a new translation on the blog x___x
    It's Keibetsu shite ita aijou. I wrote a lenghty analysis of it, too, since it's a song that has a lot of meaning, so I'd be glad if you read it ♥

Then, I finally have a layout! Guess which girl is the main subject~

Other songs I did since the last post in this thread ^:
    - Ponytail to shushu
    - Kiseki wa ma ni awanai
    - Kurumi to dialogue
    - Nusumareta kuchibiru

So yeah, the blog's not dead, and I'm planning to have a triple A, K & B update over the weekend :D !! hope I make it XD

13. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki

^Yay, updates!

I thought I had already posted in here, but I love your blog. I sometimes have a little bit of troubles following AKB's metaphor-heavy lyrics, and you somehow can get the message across in the lyrics, and with your added notes, I totally get it.

I'm SO happy to finally understand what Keibetsu* is about.

(*I just realized that I've always spelled it Keitbetsu. You can't even do that in Japanese.)

Ponytail's lyrics are even better than I thought they were, and Kurumi is like wow good. I didn't think it was so mature.

Typo that I noticed in your header: AKB48's songs catalogue consists of more than 300 songs,

Oh, and do you take requests?

14. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48

If you ever want someone to do a double-check on the English, I'm happy to help- I'm totally over-obsessive when it comes to that sort of thing [hehe] (Though your grammar is better than many native English speaker subs...).

15. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

I'd be really glad if you could check on my English. I do my best cause I dislike wrong grammar/spelling too, but I must have some kind of resistance to Germanic languages, I've been studying/practicing English for at least 15 years but I still make really basic mistakes :fp:
    So yeah, please do. Onegai shimasu :cute: can you pm me with the corrections? Needless to say I'll credit you.

Ach. XD Thank you, I'll edit right now.

I usually don't, but I have so many songs I'd like to do that I can't even decide what to do first XD, so tell me your request, chances are I already wanted to do it and I'll just move it up my list XD
    And thank you for liking my blog ;_;

16. suki-gin

suki-gin Kenkyuusei

:cute:
    a lyrics translation/analysis blog
    This. Just the kind of thing I enjoy. *bookmarks and camps out on page*

17. Llewella

Llewella Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki

Until now, I missed your blog, sorry (for me of course). ;)
    After reading all of it, I wanted to thank you. It was really interesting, even moving sometimes and I learned many things. So I hope you will continue to review other songs. [clap]

Maybe, one little question about a detail of the last one's title (美しき者). You translate 者 as 'thing'. Is there a particular reason behind this choice (I am a total noob concerning lyrics) ?
    And reading the lyrics of this song I understand better why the 美しき form was used.

18. katastr0phical1

katastr0phical1 Kenkyuusei

Why didn't I know you had a thread here too!?! Gah...

Who loves and supports loveandcoffee? This guy. :awesome: (But you already knew that...)

19. loveandcoffee

loveandcoffee Kenkyuusei

Hmm yes there is. I know 者 refers to "person", but just how awkward would have "A cruel morning will come / For the most beautiful person in this kingdom" sounded? Moreover I figured "thing" for a person would've been okay in this context since in English they also say "you are the most important thing I have" and so on...
    Needless to say, English not being my mother tongue, I could've made a huge mistake XD.

And thank you for reading my blog ^o^/
    Thanks to suki-gin and Brock too ♥

20. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48

Well, in my not-remotely-qualified-as-a-professional opinion, both work. If you used "person" you're just talking about, well, the people in the kingdom. But using "thing" expands the definition to everything. So it makes it sound more potent because it implies there is nothing at all more beautiful (compared to, say, a rose, a sunset, or a pepperoni pizza). It adds extra emphasis.

So I approve of the use of "thing". [hehe]