1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

STAGE48 Feedback & Suggestions V

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Kyobu, Sep 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LNK_Tomu

LNK_Tomu Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Is there, or will there be, something that tells me that there are new posts in a thread that I have not read yet (which I expect will mean cookies)? It was a very useful feature in Ebi48 - I could tell at a glance that there was a new post I hadn't seen yet, without trying to remember when I last looked at a thread.

2. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

HoneyRoastedPeanuts Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Welcome to Stage48. It's good to have you here.

Our forum shouldn't differ from Ebi in that regard, considering we're (still) on the same software. You say you were able to tell at a glance whether new posts had been made. What were you looking at / referring to in that case?

When accessing a (sub-)forum, the color of the AKB48 symbols left to thread titles (grey / red) should indicate whether you've accessed it since the latest post.

• "View unanswered posts" is going to give a list of threads that haven't been replied to yet (by any member). I'll remove a whole bunch of topics in the next days so the list won't be as extensive anymore.
    • "View unread posts" gives you a general overview of newly submitted posts that you haven't read yet. The list can be emptied by clicking "Mark forums read" at the top of the main page. That one is the most useful if you want to see all recent activity on the forum.
    • "View new posts" lists all new submissions regardless of whether you've read them or not.
    • "View your posts" (right under the banner) will show all threads that you have ever posted in, with recent active topics at the top. Here too, the color of the symbols left to the thread titles should show whether there's been posts or not.
    • Fuggedabout "View active topics" because it's broken.
    Additionally you can subscribe to a thread via e-mail. Should be the same over at Ebi.

We're days ahead of introducing major changes to the forum - including migration to a different, more modern forum software. It's likely that it's going to simplify catching up with threads and make other things more convenient. We had intended to roll out those changes a few months ago, but we chose to be a little more thorough about the renewal. We've currently got it planned for several days after Sokaku Matsuri. Don't want to disrupt the hype that it might cause. :lol:

3. LNK_Tomu

Thank you - it's good to have somewhere I can continue to go to chat about the 48Family and exchange views with folks.

This is my 'view your post' page from Ebi:
    [​IMG]
    The thing I'm talking about is the small '(new)' text on the right of the thread title. I know that there is a post I haven't seen about the 35th single, as it tells me, but I have seen all the posts relating to the Reformation and the Random talk thread, as they don't have the little (new) flag. I don't need to remember colors or anything like that, I just look for the '(new)' on the thread name and I know where to go.

4. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    On here the equivalent of that are these two.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I wouldn't say they're less of a visual aid than what you see on Ebi. That too though is probably going to look somewhat different after the change.

5. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    I noticed that there's a huge disparity in quality between post.

Some are just random rant and fanboying, like "WHY SAE IN S?" "OMG NO ISSEKI PLEASE NO".

And there's other post that lead to interesting argument like "in which extent Yui will be able to assume her captaincy position in such different environnement that were team K and team A?)

Unfortunately due to big events like the shoukaku matsuri, it's pretty hard to make difference between a post full of fanboying (because of course, quantity doesn't mean quality) and a post that raise an interesting opinion.

I wonder if it's possible to create a +1 button for post, or in a more general way "credit points" below someone avatar that allow reader to know if you are a acknowledged contributor or just a mere troll.

Personally i would like it to be impersonal and focused on the content of the post, that's why i'm more up to a +1 button/comment.

6. LNK_Tomu

^ I'd support that. I keep on looking for the 'like' button so I can indicate that I agree with someone's post and the points / opinions / whatever they brought to the table.

7. rka

rka Senbatsu Stage48 Donor

Yup, i am also a big friend of "like"-buttons. Because they show if someone is actually reading my posts.

No, really. I am spending much time on keeping the gallery updated and writing my weekly diary. I would like to know if somebody other than the usual suspects is reading my stuff.

From a contributor's perspective, that is.

8. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    I addressed this really thoroughly in the post about the upcoming changes (points V to VII). It's one of my concerns too.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6761#p762499

To be able to show with the click of a button that you "agree" with a post is both a really good and really bad idea. "Like" buttons are easily abused and not rarely used for light bullying, even if unintentional.

One-line posts such as "This!" or "Everything you just said" are unnecessary clutter. In 98% of all cases a post like that is going to get removed by staff. So of course a like option would make things easier for some members. It'll improve the signal to noise ratio. There's going to be less short/unnecessary posts.

On the other hand I believe it should be perfectly possible to write a reply in agreement of a post while adding original content by yourself. It's absolutely important to show appreciation of others' posts, but if we enable people to show their agreement without having to make a post it's pretty much going to encourage everyone to be lazy.

My main concern is that a lot of people won't use a like button the way it's intended. I've seen members liking other members and not their posts. Members who are unpopular on the forum are going to get very few likes no matter what they say. In discussions, people will automatically like whoever is disagreeing with that member. It's a way to shut people up and gang up on them and I don't think I want to encourage that. I don't want anyone to feel unwelcome here.

Let's say we have two posts: one really well articulated and respectful criticism of your oshimen, and one short, overly emotional reply defending her. Do you believe that we can trust anyone and everyone to actually like the more valuable post instead of pulling a "omg you defend my oshi so I like your post" reaction? That's just not gonna work in execution. :lol: Acchan-oshis are going to like Acchan-oshis and Yuko-oshis are going to like each other. I'll only have to throw in a "I love Chiichan" and am automatically going to get likes from someone.
    With something so polarizing and based on personal preference like idols it's going to turn the forum into a popularity contest.

The reputation system that we want going to introduce with the renewal of the forum is admittedly unusual since it's only open to staff members, but it's really well thought through. It should have a way more positive effect on overall post quality than likes from other members. We'll see in a week or two if and how it works out.

NOTE: it's possible that at a later point we're going to implement a more varied liking system for the members, including ways to show whether you found the post funny, useful, informative, unnecessary, etc.

[​IMG]

9. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    To create a +1 button would allow me to find a lot easier the post i wanted to answer. That way i can react/appreciate someone post, without having to do the annoying part to cute/quote a part, then to research again another post.

I noticed a huge disparity in quality of post, but overall Stage48 member population is way more mature than what i can see in twitter/tumblr (except one or two butthead, if you know what i mean), so i think we should give them a chance. There's a risk, but the bargain is worth it : visibility of relevant content.

10. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    I think there might be something in the new forum software that could make things easier for you in that regard. We're planning to do the change this week. It'll be a little different from now, so we better talk about then.

11. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    I think AKS has made a lot of job for the admins to move all the girls threads to the right sections. And rewrite all the "Girls database". Maybe these are too extensive with many lists which all had to be rewrite. With all these shuffles and other changes they may be simplified? I know there are a lot of jobs now for the upcoming change of the forum so I don't think there will be any quick rewriting but I'm only wondering and philosophizing. [notme]

12. HoneyRoastedPeanuts

Twitter:
    hrp919
    Not necessarily. That's a one-time job and of course something that we'll do in a timely fashion, but only once the changes take effect. At this point the girls are still where they were before the shuffle.

13. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Ok. There are also quite a lot of graduated girls still in the databases.

14. arifer

arifer Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    arifer48
    Will the new rules or standard templates of how threads should start be released soon?
    It's quite hard to navigate through some of the threads because of the lack of standardisation.
    Take for example the threads for the new singles. Some have the information of the singles on the first post (which is good), and others don't have it till pages away (which is really frustrating for someone searching for information fast)

15. natsu-kun

natsu-kun Kenkyuusei Wiki48 Admin

Oshimen:
    48 x 404
    Twitter:
    48nefi
    I don't know if someone have asked this before: is it possible to add the "Quick reply" to forum?

16. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    I remember quick reply was disabled a long time ago because of security risks it posed (the full posting page has stricter text-checking by the forum software), but it's possible it will return soon.

17. Crests

Crests Member

Oshimen:
    Chen GuanHui
    Twitter:
    xiaoaishiteru
    I'd like to add my support to the like button conversation

Anyways, could an automatic picture resizer thing be built in here? I know ebi had that. It would be nice to be able to post pictures without having to use thumbnails cause they're too wide to be allowed or for tall pictures to not take up half the page.

18. natsu-kun

Oshimen:
    48 x 404
    Twitter:
    48nefi
    Some opinions on the gallery topics..

We have gallery topics and that's good :) BUT.... I've seen some users just posting the same picture again with reason "better" or "bigger" :( I think that kind of posts should be counted as spam because posting same pic again doesn't add anything new to the topic and that only raises user's post count without a good reason. (and yes, we have the EDIT button which is useful and should be used in this kind of situations)

I was thinking about this part of forum rules:
    I hope you understand my point (and I'm not even surprised if you don't understand..)

19. gotbild

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    But the problem is there will not be any sign that a new pic is uploaded if you edit the post, if I'm right.

20. natsu-kun

Oshimen:
    48 x 404
    Twitter:
    48nefi
    I know what you're meaning with that. But if you just do like I did in general talk area in social networks thread - just copy the whole code of your post, then delete it, then write a new posts in which you have added the thing you want to say and then post it. Hopefully this didn't sound too complex :)

edit: none of the admins haven't said anything - I'm not even surprised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.