Stage48 Wiki - Organization & Discussion

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by aakun, Aug 3, 2010.

1. princessairbender

princessairbender Kenkyuusei Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    Yokoyama Yui (8)
    Thank you for letting us now! I've put the new photos up on their profiles :)

2. Nelke

Nelke Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Takita Kayoko
    Takita Kayoko does not have her new photo updated yet.

Kojima Haruna is also missing the Kanji and Kana for her name.

Thank you in advance!

3. princessairbender

Oshimen:
    Yokoyama Yui (8)
    Fixed Kayoyon's profile! (Will be double checking the AKB members pictures during the day to make sure they're all updated)

4. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Please fix the titles of these pages:
    http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mutou_Tomu
    http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php?title=Mutou_Orin
    http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php?title=Chou_Kurena
    http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php?title=Gyouten_Yurina

All of them go against the common Wiki48 practice of spelling ou as o. Moreover, in the case of the Muto sisters they were originally spelled correctly, but then were changed last year to the above spelling on the basis of their official profiles. Said official profiles have since been changed to use the Muto spelling. Cho and Gyoten's official profiles also use o instead of ou, though I'm not sure if they were *ever* spelled as above.

------------------

I see two other cases of 48g members with names spelled with ou on the wiki:
    Souda Sarina
    Tanaka Kouko

(also the various Inoue's, but I think they're all graduated now?)

Soda Sarina looks weird to me, though it is the official spelling.
    Same with Tanaka Koko, minus the official spelling part. It does fit her nicknames better.

5. nakotteiijan

nakotteiijan Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    矢吹奈子
    I am not sure if it's open for debate but honestly speaking, in most names it's a better way of understanding the pronunciation of the name, and helps distinguish the "ou" from simple "o" sound (same goes for yuu/yu and so on). This way, for example, a person would assume the "ko" in Tanaka Ko(u)ko is pronounced the same was as the "ko" in Jo Eriko, or that Chou Kurena's surname is pronounced the same was as Cho Orie's.

6. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    There is a title and then there is the Romaji, both on the same wiki page.
    Mutou Tomu vs Mutō Tomu

Wikipedia does something similar, but goes for the single vowel in the name, and uses macrons in the pronunciation:
    Yuko Oshima(大島 優子 Ōshima Yūko)

I am a macron fan, but lost that battle long ago. As it is, the pronunciation is in the Romaji. We also use redirects. I typed Muto Tomu in the search box and got to

Mutou Tomu
    (Redirected from Muto Tomu)

I agree that a single style would be nice.

P.S. We use Oshima Yuko for Ōshima Yūko which is not on her page, as it is not yet updated to show the Romaji.

7. xinchun

xinchun Kenkyuusei

Doesn't it depend on the kanji used / the word's actual meaning/pronunciation if it can be shortened in romanization or not? Like the word "yuuutsu" (melancholy) is made up of "yuu" (which can be shortened to "yu" in some romanization methods) and "utsu" (which is always romanized as-is - unless you're writing "tu" instead of "tsu" but that's a different story). So you can argue "yuuutsu" or "yuutsu" is correct but "yutsu" is objectively wrong. I'm not entirely sure which names have this same logic applied, but I think "Inoue" is one of the names that you can't shorten by taking out the "u"... Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

I have no issue with shortening something like "Yuuka" to "Yuka" if that's a legitimate way to spell it (and in most Yuuka/Yuka cases it is), but I do think it's important to be sure before just removing every seemingly-extra "u" from every name without actually being sure, because there are some words and names that can't be shortened like that.

8. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    Wouldn't it be simpler to select an existing romanization standard and stick to it? Not a lot of options to debate and problem is relegated.

9. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    So as far as I understood, the differnce in spelling is there because of different possibilities of pronouncations. However, there are few members where this seems to have been disregared, especially for example for members whose name starts with O.

Example;
    • Short O: Oda Erina, Okita Ayaka
    • Long O: Ota Aika, Oshima Yuko, Oba Mina
    However, all of them are spelled with a single O. It'd be great if we had some consistency.

And since you mentioned the yuu/yu difference, I get that Tano Yuuka is spelled with Yuu and Ogino Yuka with Yu, but then again why are the Yukos spelled with Yu when it's pronounced with a long u (Oshima Yuko, Sugamoto Yuko)?

I totally agree with you that we should showcase long vowels but maybe then adapt it to every member and not handpick a few.

• Like Like x 1
  10. nakotteiijan

nakotteiijan Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    矢吹奈子
    Exactly. Some names are actually pronounced differently even if they are written in the same way (in English). I agree with you about Yuuko/Yuko.

@xinchun - I am pretty sure those are not the names in discussion, though. In any case, that's correct. Inoue (井上) is pronounced as i-no-ue. The question is about names like Itou (伊藤), which are pronounced as i-tou and not i-to.

11. xinchun

xinchun Kenkyuusei

I just brought up "Inoue" because someone mentioned it above.

In any case I think a standard should be picked and stuck to. It's hard to rely on the official sites because they also may not be consistent with each other or over time. Japanese tend to be that way with romanization I've noticed. Sometimes you'll see official media that says "Satou" and other official media that says "Sato". So for the wiki it's best to just pick one regardless of what is stated on the official site, unless it's a special case like a non-Japanese name or something.

12. sscrla

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    It would also be nice if each page was consistent with itself. Currently the Tomu page title is Mutou Tomu, but Muto Tomu is used in the heading, above her picture, below her picture, in her catch phrase, in her trivia, and in the gallery for 2017. Mutou is used in the title, in all the gallery pictures from before 2017, and in the list of Team K members at the bottom.

The final score was Muto 10, Mutou 12 (and one of them was Orin).

Consistent, we ain't!

13. takajuro

takajuro Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimanatsuki
    Twitter:
    takajuro
    I follow their names in the oficial web

14. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    Whatever you want to do with Ito(u) or Sato(u) don't do it to Inoue. It's a four syllable word, i-no-u-e.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. princessairbender

Oshimen:
    Yokoyama Yui (8)
    I think all of the charts/templates for AKB have finally been updated with the new teams and profile pictures!
    SKE, NMB, NGT and HKT are also completely done I think (?). Good work everyone! :cute:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. junjou19

junjou19 Member

I was browsing the wiki earlier and I noticed that the members of old sub groups still have "she is a member of xyz unit" (i.e. Sashihara Rino is a member of Not Yet). Does it really make sense to keep it in the past tense? It's pretty safe to say that Not Yet and all the other old subgroups (no3b, French Kiss) are pretty much done.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

17. ootamudkip

ootamudkip Member

Oshimen:
    Nadila Cindi
    Hello, can I still apply as editor for wiki48? I noticed that there are so many grammatical error in many JKT related pages. If it still possible then my email is adittrc04@gmail.com, thank you :)

18. sscrla

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
  19. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
  20. sscrla

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    I was seeing this:

Login required
    You must be logged in to upload files.

And it still doesn’t make sense. Yes, 110 pixels, but why?

Update: a typo on the Team A page

"They currently have 22 members, tough 1 has announced graduation."

http://stage48.net/wiki/index.php/Team_A

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018