The 2016 donations thread (goal reached!)

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Mr Waffle, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Hey all, long time no see. I've been keeping a low profile for a while, confining myself to sitting in the back room of the forum poking things to make sure things keep running for the most part. (Big thanks to the forum mods for running the show!)

The reason for me resurfacing is that it's that dreaded time of year- the Man has come knocking on the door asking for his dues. And by that I mean the server bill has come in for the next year. In the formative few years of the forum we ran on a shared hosting service that we quickly expanded too much for and had to make the difficult decision to move to a dedicated VPS hosting service. After a few missteps on figuring out how many resources we needed (especially during the ridiculously heavy loads of things like the Election), we mostly sorted out the needs of the forum... unfortunately, that comes with a hefty price. We set up donations a couple of years ago to help cover the costs and for the most part it has worked, but it's natural that if the topic isn't brought up they dry up.

Unfortunately, our hosting service has raised their prices, and that means I need to make the always-horrible request of our members to help pitch in and pay for server costs. I know everyone has different financial situations and times are tough around the world, but if anyone can spare a couple of bucks or yen or pesos or rupiahs to help us out, it'd be super appreciated. You even get a super-sexy "Donor" title under your avatar (as long as I can actually figure out who you are on the forum- Paypal doesn't tell me that info so please write your username in the comment box!).

For transparency, the current situation is thus:

Server bill: US$748.92 for VPS hosting with a ton of extra RAM and storage for the forum (as I said, the price went up- not happy! Moving isn't really an option right now but will investigate it for next year)

Currently in the donation account: ~US$210 (it's in a couple of different currencies)

As you can see that's a pretty big gap. In previous years I've usually made up the difference but that's pretty difficult this time, so I'm hoping that anyone who can help out can chip in. The donation link can be found on the right hand side of the forum's home page, the big pink one. Any love is appreciated!

Thanks for your time and patronage of Stage48, I know this place has changed a lot of lives over the years so I hope it can keep going strong for many more to come!

19th June update- Our 2016 goal has been hit in less than a week, you guys are awesome!!!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    Yo bitches, its time to pay up! :lol:

Sorry, that's all I got at the moment. Seedbox notice just also arrive. Another time, then.

[​IMG]

3. Jazzichi_48

Jazzichi_48 Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana

4. skuf

skuf Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yasuda Kana
    Twitter:
    TravisSkuff
    your gonna have too wait for a chip in from me, work is paying for my SSK participation and the memes game is paying me about as much as i get from sharing my ebay listings on Catching Cute Girls In Pokeballs........ 0+0=0

5. Kinenbi

Kinenbi Member Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    kinenbi
    I can't do it until I get to the bank in Tokyo. My funds in my overseas account is going low fast. :(

6. junjou19

junjou19 Member

Yeah I hope your bill isn't due coming up because I've spent so much money lately I'm not allowing myself to spend any more on stuff that isn't absolutely necessary until October

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

7. mieniem

mieniem Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kuramochiasuka
    I honestly spent a lot recently too. So i will cut somethings off in my budget, so that i can save a good amount before i donate to you.

8. leocgomes

leocgomes Member Stage48 Donor

Just donated. Wasn't that much but hope it helps.

9. Oreojack

Oreojack Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

I donated a bit. The transaction is under the name "Dewei." :flower:

10. rka

rka Senbatsu Stage48 Donor

I just donated. But can we have a Like Button? And other assorted goodies?^^

11. Chrissel

Chrissel Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Sugiyama Aika
    Twitter:
    kurisuuu48
    Also send a donation. Not much, but all I can afford atm :)

12. minaeshi

minaeshi Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Twitter:
    minaeshit
    Could I ask, is there a deadline for you to pay the server bill? I would like to donate but I don't get paid until the end of this month lol

13. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    good timing 3 days close to the election lol.

Joke aside, if you are looking for other servers, does this mean the xenforo structure will be changed as well? To migrate our database, it's such a hussle.

I have donated so i want my stage donor banner. This time you won't run away

14. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Thanks everyone who donated, we're up to ~US$430!! You guys are champions! :1st: suddenly leaping past the half way mark in only a day, even a little bit helps! I tried to match everyone who donated to an account here but couldn't do it for everyone, if you missed out let me know.

Sorry I forgot to mention, the due date is end of the month, so it'll get paid with whatever is available and anything that comes in later will go towards next year etc.

Moving the server wouldn't affect the forum software, all the suppliers offer basically the same services and software so it'd basically be a giant copy paste job if it did happen. The unfortunate timing isn't a coincidence, I seem to recall we moved because of the forum basically being constantly murdered by traffic around the election a couple of years ago. Think I need to pimp donations a couple of months earlier next time it's needed :fp:

15. TakaYuuko

TakaYuuko Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Honda Hitomi
    I didn'tt have much in my paypal... But I donated a little too!
    I hope I have helped *W*

16. patapataful

patapataful Upcoming Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    patapataful
    @Mr Waffle could you send me the mail address for donating with Paypal please?:):flower:

17. hart123

hart123 Member Stage48 Donor

^ Well, you can click the donate button on main page

Ah I have donated last January, but just a little, maybe very little..lol
    So I think, I will send some donation again...

18. Atsu-nee

Atsu-nee Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nagahama Neru
    Now I'm not at home but next week i'm there and i will donate.

19. patapataful

patapataful Upcoming Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    patapataful
    @hart123 thanks for the tip

Does anyone have trouble with donating too? Paypal always say it doesn't work at this time. Tryed two times... :(

20. Azralix

Azralix Kenkyuusei

You guys should set up a Patreon account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.