1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

The Sailor Moon Thread

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by JAKKfromAKB48, Jul 30, 2011.

1. JAKKfromAKB48

JAKKfromAKB48 Kenkyuusei

Sailor Moon was my favorite show as a child and now they are re-printing the books & Sailor V in America. I'm so excited!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Micchipyon

Micchipyon Kenkyuusei

I love Sailor Moon too ~ !
    I've nearly watched the whole anime (from the 1st season to Sailor Stars), and SM is totally one of my favorite anime & manga series ever ~ <3 I also love the manga really much ~
    Usagi is absolutely my favorite character. x3 ♥ She's kinda like me, we both love food and we are kinda lazy (and dorky..) xD

3. JAKKfromAKB48

JAKKfromAKB48 Kenkyuusei

When I was little my favorites were Jupiter and Sailor Moon. I watched the series from the first season→the beginning of Stars when i was 11 and my new favorite is Sailor Venus.

They have new sailor moon shirts at hot topic, but they're only for girls and the good ones are sold out. They're also making new merchandise in America, I'm so excited

4. Zobii

Zobii Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    Mars. Mars all the way! ;)

But yeah, Sailor Moon was an awesome awesome show. :awesome:

But really, anything by Sato Junichi is friggin awesome. [aup]

And yeah, definitely, Mars. [blush]

5. purekyunkyun

purekyunkyun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    Twitter:
    purekyunkyun
    Figured I should just put this here.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6_RZhh44NY[/yt]

And yeah, Sailor Mercury was always my favorite Sailor Scout.

6. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    It's been almost seven years since the last post, but there is big news for those in the US. There will be theater showing on two dates in July and two in August (first dubbed, second subbed). Tickets go on sale June 7.

"Sailor Moon, the beloved Guardian of Love and Justice, returns to the big screen for a special theatrical event! Following an encore presentation of the first movie (SAILOR MOON R- THE MOVIE), the Sailor Guardians unite once more to battle their chilliest adversary yet (SAILOR MOON S- THE MOVIE). The second week of showings will feature the classic anime's third movie (SAILOR MOON SUPERS- THE MOVIE) along with never-before seen in theaters short, "Ami's First Love." All features are presented uncut and true to the original Japanese version, with English dubbed and subtitled showings available."

https://www.fathomevents.com/collections/sailor-moon

• Like Like x 1
  7. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Sailor Moon thread?

I wanted threads of Star Wars, Bang Dream, & Love Live......... ._.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Who here has watched the Sailor Moon live action series of 2003 to 2004 ? Definitely one of the best drama series that I have seen :worthy::worthy:. The two most charming cast members were Miyuu Sawai and Rika Izumi, who played Sailor Moon and Sailor Mercury respectively. It's too bad that they no longer continue with the live action series anymore, unlike Kamen Rider. I would really like to see them produce a new series, this time starring Nogizaka members :inlove:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

Sorry it’s only PGSM live for me... nothing else. :p

Evil Sailor Mercury FTW! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

10. mochibuni

mochibuni Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Chair-chan
    PGSM is my favorite version for sure and I wish it had multiple seasons, but it was canceled due to poor ratings. :(

With Crystal, S3 didn't do as well, which is why the 4th and 5th arcs have been proposed as movies instead of full seasons. But the merch is going strong and the Sera Myu revival is popular, so many we will get more new things!!

11. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    ^^ Yeap Dark Mercury was really cute and charming :D:worthy:. Rika Izumi must have had really enjoyed playing the character :hehe:. I felt that in the scene in the forest when Usagi asked whether she remembered anything about being evil, Ami-chan should have smiled and joked that she enjoyed her time as Dark Mercury :lol:.

On a side note, have you noticed that most of the fight scenes occurred indoors in places that looked like convention centers and auditoriums ? It really gave a cool and modern feel to it, like going to an anime convention or something :cool:. I wonder where they filmed those scenes.

Last but not least, IMO, the live action series as well as the Sera Myu stage plays are much better than the manga and anime, as I prefer to watch real people acting/cosplaying as the characters rather than simply watching animated artwork :shifty:.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  12. mochibuni

mochibuni Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Chair-chan
    The fight scenes are largely like that for filming ease. The other costume shows like Super Sentai and Kamen Rider do the same thing. It's not in space used regularly by the public and allows cameras to move around freely. I am glad they picked large indoor venues instead of the same rock quarry Sentai uses. XD

I adore animation as a medium. I love PGSM, but it's very limited by being live action in comparison to the scope the comic has.

13. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Was there going to be a second season of PGSM ? I read somewhere that there was going to be, but it was not produced :(. If it's true, why was it cancelled ?

14. mochibuni

mochibuni Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Chair-chan
    Low ratings. :( There were supposed to be about two to three more episodes in the season, but those were taken away when the cancellation was announced. That's why the ending seems rushed and the series has less episodes than other costume shows receive for one season. The rumor is Sailor Luna was introduced in hopes of bumping ratings, giving a character for the target demograph to relate to, but I think that might have backfired lol.

15. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    ^Geez that's too bad :(. I was hoping to see more of Rika Izumi at that age as she seemed quite a smart, witty and charming teenager back then :). But as time passed, she seemed to have changed alot and she looks more tired as she ages, just like alot of people do. I felt that when she returned to showbiz after her hiatus, she should have at least kept her old style and look for some time instead of having a complete makeover and dyeing her hair blond :rolleyes:. It is certainly hard to find another actress/idol of her style and personalilty :hmm:, now that the old Rika is not coming back anymore.

I also cannot understand how the show got so low ratings as I thought plenty of fans were clamoring for a live series to be made, given the popularity of the sera myu. And even though the show was aimed at young girls, I felt that geeks were just as or more likely to watch it, given the superb and engaging storyline and numerous hilarious scenes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  16. mochibuni

mochibuni Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Chair-chan
    Oh did Rika dye her hair recently? When she came back to the industry as a model, she didn't look too different (well, prettier and more mature looking, of course!). I thought she was quite charming and perhaps the only decent part of the last Princess Jellyfish jdrama, but I didn't watch past the first episode. I hope she was good throughout! I was actually surprised to hear she had started acting again, perhaps she's aged out of her modeling contracts?

I would be interested in knowing what the Japanese fanbase was thinking and feeling about PGSM when it aired. I guess based on the ratings, they didn't care too much? It was aimed at a pretty young demographic, maybe a portion of the fanbase didn't look into it while it was airing as a result. It did also air at 8am, so maybe it just wasn't convenient for fans, too. For Western fans I know we largely didn't like it when it was first airing, but I've been really happy to see fandom change its opinion and give the series a chance these last few years.

17. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    ^I meant the more glam look she had when she went back to modelling (and acting) after finishing school. It was not easy to recognise her at first glance, as her style was really different from her Chisaki days. Some of her PGSM co-stars like Sawai and Komatsu did not change their style much and were more recognisable. If I were a (Japanese) actress/model/idol with a look (and personality) similar to Rika, I would not try to change my style too much, maybe just adapt it to a more mature look, sort of like the doctor she played in the PGSM hour long DVD sequel ;). No over-glammed make-up, or over-dyeing of hair :chuffed:. My style would probably be similar to the 1st gen Nogi-chans, who are still easily recognisable from their earlier days :).

Maybe there would be higher ratings if the show aired on a more popular channel such as TV Tokyo or Nippon TV ?

Anyway, the show had plenty of cool witty jokes, in the sort of style similar to Majisuka Gakuen and Hatsumori Bemars :cool:, such as when Ami and Makoto pretended to be Usagi :shocku:, or the episode when Usagi's mom played a reporter for a day :rofl:. Absolutely fabulous :worthy::worthy:.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  18. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    There is element of PGSM that confounded me. Is Princess Sailor Moon simply an alternate personality of Usagi, or is she a totally different person with her own consciousness and willpower who possessed Usagi ? :huh: Also, does the Dark Kingdom only consist of Beryl and the four Shitennou and later Mio Kuroki ? I don't see any other servants or slaves working for them. I thought there would be other minions in the large castle/base where they lived. It would seem strange that it would be called a "kingdom" since it only consisted of those few people.

19. mochibuni

mochibuni Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Chair-chan
    The way I look at Princess SM is she's a separate conscious inside of Usagi. They're technically the same person since Usagi is a reincarnation of Princess Serenity, but I feel like past lives/reincarnations end up being treated as separate entities in this series to a degree.

You don't see more people in the Dark Kingdom because of budget constraints. Consider that the cartoons and comic just draw shadowy figures in the background and assume PGSM would do the same thing if they had the budget for Dark Kingdom extras. XD

20. Torigoya-San

Torigoya-San Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    But they had the budget for plenty of extras in other scenes such as people walking on the street, people attacked by the youma, classmates in school etc. They could easily have added a sizeable no. of extras for the Dark Kingdom if they wanted. Maybe they did not want to so as to give off a more lonely mysterious feel, or they could not think of how the extras should look like.