1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

The STAGE48 post dump

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Kyobu, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Happy autumn guys but damn, I live in Indonesia…

Let's listen to this kind of music when the air gets colder. ^^

if the video does not show watch the video here

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  2. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Just watched the first EP of a NF TV procedural drama called 'Mindhunter'... and pretty much, it's exactly the kind of show I've been waiting to see since 'Hannibal' ended...
    Two of my favorite kind of television shows are police procedurals, and true crime documentaries -- and Mindhunter adds to this the kind of writing and visual language of another form of media I've long been a fan of, the graphic novel. Being the series takes place in a time I remember fondly as a very young kid -- the late '70s -- and touchstones of that time (pristine Malaise-era cars, the pessimistic brown/mustard/woodgrain vs. optimistic airy-sea-green color palette; references to 'Dog Day Afternoon' & the Attica prison massacre footage vs. 'I'm Not In Love' by 10CC [GotG], 'Breezin' by George Benson, and 'Hold The Line' by Toto) recall very vivid memories both at the time, and long afterwards, rediscovering the kitsch and innovation of '70s era memories, while overseas.

I'd say David Fincher's vision for the series is a couple of notches down in intensity from the luge-run that Hannibal was, and introduces a retro aspect that famous show doesn't have... which for me, keeps it a bit sentimental and approachable (at least for someone my age), yet gives the actual gore and antiseptic clinicality one must have to stay sane surrounded daily by death, a strong contrast. Hannibal was *all* coldness and razor-edged, staring through the blackness of the artfully-precision-rifled bore of Hannibal Lecter's mind as Will reeled in and assimilated him. All the more apt a comparison, as both agents hailed from the FBI's Behavioral Sciences Unit, a real department which exists today in only modestly-changed form.

As a late-stage manga fan from the US boom in JDM sequential art in the early '90s... I figured out quickly reading the classics of the era: a good storyteller can carry bad art, but even the best art cannot salvage poor storytelling. We now live in a time where legitimately mountains of cash can be found in doing this right (GoT, Breaking Bad, Hannibal, Transparent, Mad Men, Sherlock, Black Mirror, Mr. Robot, Dexter, Orphan Black, Westworld... ad nauseum), a paradise of really good visual storytelling. So it's really nice for another police procedural to get traction so early (though it should be mentioned, the same accolades happened with True Detective, wahmp-wahmp, wahhhhmp :fp: ).

I love puzzles. But also like watching people solve puzzles, with good character development alongside the proper giddy-inducing sprinkles of nostalgia via music and visuals. Have a good feeling about this one... :approve:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  3. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

Mindhunter II...
    Binge-watched up to EP8 -- and as reviews shouted all over the web... it *is* every bit as genuinely good as they say.

I loved 'Hannibal', as before. But sometimes its desire to shock and disgust literally went too far... which in this age of Breaking Bads and Dexters and Games of Thrones... it's all about the formula -- doing something different, turned up to 10. Notice R-rated Marvel movies are all of a sudden mainstream now? Ever wonder why that is?

We live in the cusp of a major psychosocial rift in all sorts of paradigms about assumptions we've grown to consider concrete, absolute, dependable, granted. So much so, that there's generations now with such vast, broad access to influences and stimuli of nearly infinite variety... that society now resembles it, due to this. Given human nature and the degree to which the web and social media can amplify both its best and worst qualities... it's no surprise that roughly half the US population, and equal if not greater concentrations overseas... have rejected the hard, and embraced what's easy. Fantasy fulfillment has become the charter of American society... and while I feel it started in the Dubya era, it has certainly come to a purulent, shiny, lance-able head in the election of a white supremacist as POTUS.

What does my political statement have to do with Mindhunter? Just about everything that makes it amazing to watch. Bear with me...

I wager that most of the kids here, never spent a single breath in the '80s, let alone the '70s. I did most of them... so my memories of the late '70s are mostly what I paid attention to at that age -- whatever was in the television. My best friend who lived a block away, his mom drove a '76 Nova just like Holden drives. Those black wheels with dog-dish hubcaps... reminds me of endless TV shows and movies of that time (Streets of San Francisco, Sanford & Son, Rockford Files, Quincy, M.E., etc. etc. etc.). So to see these touchstones, these relics of an era 40 years distant... is much like traveling 40 light-years away in time. Many of the scenes in Mindhunter -- no, *all* of the scenes -- recall strongly a time of innocence for me, as also for the country I lived in.

But upon closer examination with more experienced and road-worn eyes... the '70s were anything but that. Apollo 13. Munich '72. M*A*S*H. Roe vs. Wade. Kent State. Bloody Sunday. Watergate. OPEC. Fall of Saigon. Microsoft. Son of Sam. Khmer Rouge. Disco. Star Wars. Roots. Jonestown. Harvey Milk. Tehran. Three-Mile Island. Flight 191. It both laid the foundation for many springboard moments in decades to follow, and left carelessly frayed hems that would haunt the US similarly. So to recall the '70s for me... is a bifurcation of emotions -- the innocence and simplicity of my life before responsibility and social contract... and the realization later on how superficial and façade those memories are, and how much those adults around me, and the physical distance from the outside world, insulated from realities happening across the world.

Living in the 2010s, soon to be the 2020s... technology, social and political strife, progressives vs. anti-progressives, corruption vs. integrity, love vs. hate... seem to be of a form and shape unparalleled in at least US history, if not world history... and that'd be a cool bumper-sticker analysis. But a closer look, specifically the decade of the '70s... shows it's not the water that's different, only the waves.

Mindhunter mines the late '70s for its antiquated gender roles, embryonic forensics, and all-analog everything, without bashing you in the face with them, so a 2017 audience can see them outside being distractions to the storytelling. All of these things were on my mind while watching, the history, the Present of 1978... but the writing is so skillful that you either can't trope, or don't care. That hasn't happened to me in a while... other faves are riddled with them and a generous dose of doubt-gifting is mandatory. But Mindhunter belies its rather sensationalist title, for a series of stories about police work and relationships and crime, that both excel at keeping you riveted AND touch with velvet gloves those emotional, nostalgic cues that beg comparison with the very social, political, and institutional problems we face today, as if to say 'been there, done that'.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. Shinga Kurukato

Shinga Kurukato Future Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    ALiMiRe (عليمير عبد الرحمن)
  5. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

It's half term in the UK and I haven't stopped working cause everybody seems to need tutoring these days, but not complaining!

I went on a book-buying spree completing my Booker/Nebule prizes shortlists collection and I got tickets to 4 drag shows from November to next March.

Aaaaand I can't wait for January!

20-RDGAS3.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

:^O^:

6. Kiri

Kiri Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    岡田奈々 / 손채영
    Now I kinda feel like i exaggerated a lot :^^;:. That day I was feeling awful but the next days to that I was too busy to let my mind play tricks on me. Other than my wallet being hurt by all the cabs I'm taking now and the fact that I entered a high alert mode I'm doing fine. Actually my biggest problem right now is the lack of internet in my house. My ISP, the only major ISP here tbh, keeps telling me that they will repair my connection in 48 hours, it's been almost a month now :gavel:

pd: thanks for the comments tho, they were really helpful <3

7. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
  8. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

9. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    What did you mean?
    The person below is a guy. He's Ryu, lead guitarist of Blood Stain Child, a metal band.

10. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

I know. My point was that crossdressing isn't even close to being a uniquely-Japanese thing...

11. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Catalonia has officially declared independence?

Does it mean that Pique, Busquets, Fabregas, Pau & Marc Gasol, & Marc Marquez are no longer Spanish?

12. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ Nope. Lasted about an hour... US, France, UK, & Germany all condemned it, and Spanish Gov't has sacked Catalan gov't and Parliament. Snap elections 21 Dec...

13. marioworldakb

marioworldakb Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Iwata "Sukinaso" Hina
    Twitter:
    marioworld929
    Its a illegal :O

14. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

I'm afraid Stormy is right. However this affair is far, very far from closed...
    True, like it was absolutely illegal when the United States broke free from the British or the countries of South America broke free from Spain. Like it was illegal for the French resistency to fight against the nazi occupation. It's a mistake to believe rules are always fair and right and anyone who goes against them is wrong...but it's obvious that a lot of countries have forgotten the feeling of being repressed...I wonder if they still deserve the freedom they got though the force...

15. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    I bet countries that recognize independence of Catalonia first are Tibet, Palestine, & likes of them.

16. ponsaya0388

ponsaya0388 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kawamotosaya
    That's true, but I might add what Orwell said about Catalonia people: whenever it is conceivably possible, the business of today is put off until manana (tomorrow). They should get their freedom wayyyy back when Franco died.

17. karles48

Don't forget that organisations like Amnesty International or many Nobel winners have claimed the police charges the day of the election were brutal. But there are still too few voices claiming for justice and too many saying nothing because they are afraid of the Spanish government.
    We have a saying here...'Franco lo dejó todo atado y bien atado', that is, he left everything properly tied up. When Franco died Juan Carlos I, the heir the dictator had chosen, became the king and not even one of the people who had helped Franco was taken to court. That is, the apple was washed but all the worms remained inside. People was happy the dictator had died and had to content themselves with the hope of a real democracy...

18. Crossheart

Crossheart Member

Oshimen:
    Amaki Sally
    Twitter:
    rom_ch22
    Info dump

if the video does not show watch the video here

19. karles48

Thanks for the video. He spoke a bit too fast for me, but I think I understood most of it, and I believe it's a good way to explain what is happening here. The only thing that wasn't right is that Catalonian hasn't got embassies, because we already have some small 'embassies' abroad...well, if the Spanish government hasn't closed them by now...

20. ponsaya0388

ponsaya0388 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kawamotosaya
    Yes, too bad they got Suarez back then.