TV / Radio [TV] Mechaike SP - AKB48 Kimatsu Test (13/04/20)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by HoneyRoastedPeanuts, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Kenkyuusei

You're comparing us entertainment subbers to anime subbers because?

Even the anime movies take at least a month to be done after it's released on DVD.

2. oatmeal

oatmeal Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteama
    Not really. The latest Evangelion movie was a matter of days and the longest step in the process was the rip/encode/manual frame selection.

Documentaries and variety shows do have quite a bit more text than your average anime episode/movie though.

3. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    Wasn't the crunchy roll sub of 0048 awful? It missed most of the in-jokes and references, or so I'm told. I stopped using crunchy roll when they became a Naruto shill service several years ago, that I don't use subs.

Although its the same thing as peanuts mentioned. You can only cover so many of the injokes and references because they don't translate to English. Which is why it wouldn't matter if Crunchy roll or someone else did the work, if they don't know what is a reference and what isn't then it can't be accurately translated (if it could be at all anyway.) Same for the guys doing Mechaike, unless they know all the cultural references back to front, they'll struggle to translate them. But as humour doesn't translate well anyway, learning the reference to then do the translation only for it to fall flat because it is in itself untranslatable is a waste of time for everyone involved.

I know Smilodon shuddered when I mentioned that if he was subbing Geinin he'd have to figure out what to do with Hitomin's "Gags."

SUB48 got the Majisuka 2 subs out within 2-3 days of the episode airing, which for something that they're not paid for, is more than highly commendable. They aren't full time translators and nor should be expected to act like them for the sake of entitled fans who do nothing themselves to deserve such kindness most of the time.
    If people want to be take part in a fandom that is not in their native language, then they either need to learn the language, be patient and wait for subtitles, actually BE NICE to the people who are translating it. They don't need to translate anything, they can already watch and enjoy the stuff without going through the hassle of translation, but they do so, for free and rarely get the credit they deserve.

/rant off.

4. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    There's tons of "Fair Use" loop-holes people use on YouTube (especially in parodies). When I say "Pay" - I don't mean for the Subs & sell them...clearly not. I mean pay the Subber/Translator/ timer (Group) for their TIME! Not the Subs themselves.

You bring up a good point with the "Subs" - If I have the "Raws" & then I get an ASS. file or just the "SUB file" (ONLY the words) - what's the problem? - lol. Now, if someone Re-Codes them together & sells that Video...that is a copyright deal.

I don't even download Anime anymore. I go to a "Streaming Site" & just the subbed version there. It's like YouTube or anything else. Does Japan have "English closed Captioning" on TV there? I'm not looking for anything Fancy but there's gotta be a better way is all I was saying.

But it seems you've made it abundantly clear - it's a small community & not to expect much...so I won't.

5. jell_o_jello

jell_o_jello Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    ^
    I did explain why distributing just the soft sub is still copyrights infringement but you didn't seem to read it. If translating "just the words" is ok, then I guess you can just translate any book without permission from its author/publisher.

And there is no difference between paying subbers for their "time" or for the subs they make. It's still paying them for making the sub.

This is gonna be my last post on this subject. I feel I have dragged this out of topic for long enough.

6. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    It's all in how you look at it - I'm going to look into getting my "own" Subbers - just to sub the stuff I want to see. If I feel like it, I'll share it MAYBE in some fashion. But it appears I'm dealing with a product that doesn't have the "urgency" I thought this 'fandom' possessed. I was caught off-guard because the "So Long" subs were soo timely and everything else I ever watched was "Older"...I just assumed it had be done in a 'Timely Manner' before I entered the Fandom.

I already deleted my Raw & gave up...I'm going to back-burner my interest in any shows that come out because there is no "network" or 'Food-Chain' to reply on...maybe I'll just back to Anime altogether. It's pointless to try & follow these shows without "subs"- the scraps from YouTube & Tumblr will have to suffice.

Thank you all for your honest assessment of this situation.

7. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Or maybe you could stop acting so entitled and learn some Japanese yourself. With the amount of time you seem to have on your hands to complain about how other people aren't spending their time subbing what YOU want to see, how about you instead spend that time learning the language in which you consume so much media?

Personally I cannot imagine trying to follow this fandom without knowing any Japanese. It'd be impossible. So in that I understand you. But what I don't understand is why you expect others to take the extra step to sub what you want to see, but you won't take the extra step to learn some Japanese yourself. Not everyone in this fandom started out knowing Japanese - I'm sure many took up learning it out of perceived neccessity or because they were interested in Japanese media in general. I think it's the logical step to take, instead of whining about how there aren't subs for what you want to watch. That's just childish. You need to grow up.

And good luck finding "your own" subbers who will bow to your every whim. Most subbers have a "no bullshit from fans" policy because of how entitled people tend to act when it comes to subtitled media. It's a pretty thankless, time consuming job. You would know if you ever tried to do it - the translation process isn't even as long as the timing process, generally. But I would start contributing at all before I plaster threads with bitching and moaning about how others aren't contributing enough.

8. Starshard

Starshard Kenkyuusei

Anime community must have changed a lot now compared to 2-6 years ago I guess. Back then if you jump into any quality sub groups channel / site asking "SUB WHERE? WHY U NO FAST??!!!111" they will simply tell you to EAD.

9. oatmeal

oatmeal Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteama
    ^
    Oh they still do, but the need to has become much less. Most episodes are released within hours of the original broadcast, so there are no more 24-48hour or longer waiting times on releases. Which coincidentally reduces the amount of clueless whiners to a minimum.

Ah, the good old days when you couldn't even get tv rips and had to wait for the dvd to be released in Japan, then at least a month for those three episodes to be translated, and then another month or more for the next dvd. It got much better when tv rips became decent and were translated within three days of release.

To be honest I'm kind of surprised about how few people ask for subs for all the AKB stuff. Probably because the community is smaller :blush:

I can understand slacker13's logical point though. If we'd live in an ideal world, people who put their heads together, pool resources, and be able to release swiftly. But that's very difficult and not happening as they're all fans, the source files are difficult to translate, and not competing with eachother to release (the latter was instrumental in forming the anime subgroups).

10. LovelyGaki

LovelyGaki Kenkyuusei

Not to go "off-topic" here, but does anyone know when the extra-footage special is going to be released?

11. melyangelique

melyangelique Kenkyuusei

12. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Kenkyuusei

Random but a lot of what you capitalized aren't proper nouns, so go easy on that.
    Give me 50 bucks an hour and I'll sub what you want all day.
    Also, feel free to leave the fandom; no one is telling you to stay. Also, AKB & sister groups are mainly revolving around music: the shows are just a bonus. Stay with the music, and out with the shows. You don't need subs to enjoy the music. kthxbai

P.S. You don't capitalize words/phrases inside quotation marks all the time lol

13. honeysenpai

honeysenpai Kenkyuusei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtwbMs_9WYk
    Twitter:
    missingno15
    I would disagree, and say its the opposite.

I don't know what's going on but it looks like its time for someone to learn japanese

14. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    not like this helps any but dramas and anime usually have japanese subtitles that are roughly timed.

it's soooooo easy to translate off of that than it is by ear, and then it's even easier that you just have to refine the timing.

on the other hand variety shows like geinin and akbingo and this here mechaike doesn't usually have that.

i think it's funny when people compliment me for my blog because they can roughly follow some of the nmb shows, but i usually just spend all my time ranting about something like japanese supermarkets that have nothing to do with anything. :D

guess it shows you how badly people want translations. :D

15. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Kenkyuusei

Maybe it is now, but they wouldn't be here right now if not for the music to propel them into popularity.

16. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    Oh really...Grammer Police (haven't had "one of ThOsE" in a-while). I write how I speak -the " " & Bizarre caps is kind of like "me" talking with my hands. I CAP the words I feel like for extra "Emphasis"
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/emphasis
    so an extra Capitalization is like my voice going slightly bolder or accenting 'Certain' words (as if I was speaking to you directly). People who knew me on anime forums, then heard me talk on Skype immediately were taken back but how "charming" I actually sounded - lol (I'm not kidding - especially girls). Once they heard me, they said my text, rants, & rhythm made more "sense" to them. Maybe someday we'll all Skype?

My personality doesn't translate as well in print I suppose.

Who said I was leaving the fandom? Just said I was going to not bother (or get worked up) with these "Bonus Shows" (as you put it). And anything I seriously need translated I will get a Tumblr friend to help with it. It is what it is. As stated above "Competition breeds Innovation" - If I gotta kick-start & drag this fandom to MY Level of enjoyment - so be it.

In the name of Paruru - it shall be Done! In order to get MY Subs you have to Pledge Supreme Loyalty to Paruru- lol. I should make a Meme - "KNEEL Before SALT!" (instead of "Kneel before ZOD")

17. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Kenkyuusei

Great! Have a nice day.

18. sillythings

sillythings Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sillythings48
    You're right, people want everything with subtitles, but that's understandable. People want to understand what they're watching, especially shows with people they like. It seems that even if the English doesn't make sense, people don't care anymore. They'll take it. And it also seems people don't care about English grammar either. Honestly, even if there are translation errors, not many will notice. The motivation to provide quality subs is less and less as time goes by.

Timing mechaike has taken longer, it would have been helpful to have the closed captions~ Most of the dramas do come with Japanese subtitles, so it makes it a lot easier.

For people that still care about this show, we're working on it.

19. namme90

namme90 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Twitter:
    nammekun
  20. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    yeah but they also to understand stuff with as little effort as possible. which is why i keep encouraging people to learn japanese.

hell, one of the reasons this mechaike episode isn't as funny for me is because i can't even answer the questions. kinda hard to make fun of people being dumb for not knowing japanese proverbs when i don't know the japanese proverbs. :D