TV / Radio [TV] Mechaike Special Sport Festival 2013 Nov 16th & 23th

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by citanchaos, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Under The Ribbon

Under The Ribbon Member

Re: [TV] Mechaike Special Sport Festival 2013 Nov 16th

"Acting out of character" is actually a thing in Japanese popular culture. It's called "Gap Appeal". I'm sure we've all seen it in dramas and anime/manga, where a character would be established to be cold and emotionless, but is suddenly revealed to be a big softie. Japanese people love that kind of stuff.

I'm not saying every girl in AKB should suddenly abandon their established characters... or even suggest that's beneficial to them at all. But taking advantage of Gap Appeal isn't completely unheard of.

2. souchan48

souchan48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami

No offense but the overly deffensive and aggreive is mostly coming from Mayuyu fans. The show has bengoing on for several ears and the year before Takamina, etc has also been "abused". several people has pointed out that the kick was only acting and to me, the girls sems to have bbeen warned beforehand. Thats why the teacher apoligized only to ayuyu to prevent her fans from rage. Seeing that many idols ave undergone such variety showshow, the idollish Mayuyu fan behaved too deffensively imo. if mayuyu went Gakkou no Tsukai, i woder whatvwill happen lol

3. Snowman81

Snowman81 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    Twitter:
    xSnowman81

I'm pretty sure Okamura didn't apologize to appease Mayuyu fans, but because it was funny (almost sarcastic even, hence the staff laughter in the background). Comedians always like to make light of "controversial" situations for laughs. They have been making fun of Kato ever since that incident and now Mayuyu has a ton of material to work with if she's ever on that show again. One of the reasons I think Mechaike is so entertaining is because they know how to capitalize on these situations.

4. oniqlo

oniqlo Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takayamakazumi

Argh, too bad Takamina not participated.
    Suddenly this become Mayuyu vs Kato Mechaike SP

5. black_snow

black_snow Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu

Hmmm... I don't really wanna comment on this but I think what you posted kinda made Mayu look bad a little bit. [speechless] From what I can remember, that's not how she said it. She only said that she's worried on the direction that the group is heading after someone like Sasshi won, whose more of a "variety expert" than an idol, and Takamina backed her up by saying that everyone in the group is also very concerned about it. [hehe] She did not say that a "variety expert" has no business at the top of the group. I'm not sure but I believe this interview/video is the source of what you posted?
    [dm]x11hktn[/dm]

6. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Yeah but I wouldn't take that seriously at all. As usual regarding Sasshi, the point here is to make fun of her as much as possible (basically, to make her funny - SKE's Matsumura Kaori is in the same boat). The very fact that she IS a variety queen makes that not only possible but expected. So it's expected that members and management play off of that and say stuff (completely jokingly) about her. That show is just the members taking turns joking about Sasshi - and she even does it herself (iirc that's where her famous line "I like guys who can keep a secret" came from).

I really doubt anyone was ACTUALLY worried about "where the group was headed" just because Sasshi won the election :hmm: It's not like it's a permanent position.

7. black_snow

black_snow Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu

Yep, [hehe] I don't think Mayu was even serious when she said that. I doubt she'd say that in front of Sasshi or on TV if she really was. [hehe]

8. vutt

vutt Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc

^ So what's wrong with being honest idol? There are quite many who think that Sashihara way is turning classic idol image upside down. It's perfectly natural for Mayu whose image is recognised as textbook idol to be concerned about recent developments in AKB.

9. black_snow

black_snow Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu

Nothing. :) I just think that if it wasn't for the purpose of making fun of Sasshi in the show, I think she'd rather keep quiet about it (if she really is concerned) than say something that would hurt Sasshi's feelings.

10. souchan48

souchan48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami

Huh? If being no #1 in AKB really changed the direction of the group totally, am I the only one here who are glad hat Sasshi won? There are are lots of more idollish, cute vidol group out there. AKB wwill be vvery boring if Mayuyu wins, by going with ur logic. I wouldn folow AKB if all akb members are textbook idols.

And I agree with black snow 10000%

11. Ale_Honmayan

Ale_Honmayan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka

LMAO that's totally wrong
    must paruru fans are the contrary, we pretty much ignore haters and enjoy good conversations
    in my case, i read ur comment about breaking out of caracter right after you posted it but since i agreed i didnt say anything (it's not worth it just to say that i agree xD)
    so people really shouldn't have that image of us just because we're paruru fans :cry:

No, we're not!!!!
    but i agree with everything else, Oscar can be real straight forward and give the impression he's attacking you xD

Mayu wasn't worrying about anything like the developement of the group
    it was the "make fun of sashi hou" or in this case month because her character is "the Hetare Girl"
    the "black horse" who won the 5th sousenkyo, take it as a joke :eek:

Again... nobody cares about sashi wining and destroying akb image
    that's something they made up to entretain... probably :eek:
    the reason akb is so popular is because they have people who fit the image of what we fans like
    that's why different characters have their own fans... or at least that's what i think :eek:

12. 3Liger2000

3Liger2000 Kenkyuusei

wrong!
    its actually really doesnt matter who is the no.1
    but,
    as national group,
    no.1 should be the first "door" for non-wota to enter the akb world, which should be someone they can respect in the first glance, so they feel curious and try to know more what else they can find behinde that "door".

if they already look-down at the door and not interested on it, as national level group its really selfish. for act just for minority not as whole national.

and honestly both of them really doesnt suit that position right now

13. hikki

hikki Kenkyuusei

It's funny how people still fume about the Mayuyu scene from the 27hr TV spot. Seriously, they do it with everyone. You can even see people like Ayapan or Abe Natsumi being put into the camel clutch and then getting their face and mouth stretched out by Kato. It's somewhat of a privilege if you're singled out for interaction like that.

Anyhows, I had fun watching this. Came home a little late so I missed the first 30 minutes... so, had to watch it after the end.

It was just hilarious seeing Rena just tear up at the end because she knew she was last... My wife called it; I thought that Yukirin would've been last.

Also got a kick out of Mayu pounding the dickens out of Kato's ankle. I always get a kick out of when Kato just randomly starts wrestling with people on the show.

14. tomcha317

tomcha317 Kenkyuusei

more mechaike unaired this week so go watch today's episode

15. oscarwilde

oscarwilde Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    Twitter:
    oscarwilde48

Look, many original members, first and foremost Yuko, but also Mayuyu, Takamina, Acchan were furious Sasshi won. Paruru was the only girl who won a spot in Senbatsu who supported Sasshi openly on TV, the rest stayed quiet when Sasshi was bashed on TV by moderators or members. In the black_snow posted, thank God I didn't have to look for it myself, Mayuyu is on record saying she does not want Sasshi to be no. 1 because she is a variety expert. (Hey! Hey! Hey! 130701).

You have Yuko, Kojiharu, Takamina on record, before the end result was out, saying: 'I don't want to lose to Sashihara.' referring to the election. And it is not a coincidence Sasshi hardly had any screentime at the first performances of KFC, until Sasshi spoke out about it.

And this is the unaired footage of Mechaike Sports Festival:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjM4Nzc4NzI0.html

16. sillythings

sillythings Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sillythings48

Not wanting to lose to Sasshi wasn't something meant to be taken seriously. The girls say it all the time, it's almost like an inside joke, an AKB joke that has carried on through the years. Even Rena mentioned in this Mechaike SP too that if there's one person she doesn't want to lose to, it's Sasshi.

Kojiharu has always said she doesn't want to lose to Sasshi, that was their segment on Ariyoshi. She even said that during Shukan AKB Fitness Test episodes from the May 7/14, 2010, which was way before Sasshi even got that popular. Because Sasshi is so hetare, no one would want to lose to Sasshi. They just carried that through to now, and it's even funnier because Sasshi has made it to the top. Everyone in the industry makes fun of Sasshi, that's the way it is and will continue to be.

17. oscarwilde

oscarwilde Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    Twitter:
    oscarwilde48

It's not just that one sentence either. You must either ignore the girl's expressions when they are talking or completely ignore what they actually say if you really think the members were not frustrated Sasshi won.

Or you can understand them and you just want to troll. It's either of the two.

18. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Noo.. I think you're just completely misinterpreting reactions and humor here. Granted not everyone might be truly happy that Sasshi won, but definitely no one is furious about it, lol (least of all girls like Takamina who willingly hang out with Sasshi!) What you have to understand first and foremost is that Sasshi is a fail-character. She's not SUPPOSED to win. Even in her 2nd single Ikujinashi Masquerade, the single was designed to focus on her backdancers AnRiRe rather than herself for comedic effect.

But that's where much of her popularity, especially among the general public, comes from - her fail character and her usual underdog status. So when she DOES win, to keep with her character, it has to be treated as a total fluke, an outrage, something that would never have happened in a million years if the world hadn't somehow turned upside-down! Gosh, we can't have Sasshi in the center! That's unthinkable, she's such a failure in all aspects!

In other words, how the girls reacted to her win is how the girls are SUPPOSED to react to Sasshi :D Paru may be exempt from that because HER character is "say what I want when I want regardless of what I'm actually expected to be saying". This whole idol business, indeed the whole way to sell someone is to have them establish a specific character (which is what we've been talking about here recently). The girls are probably as aware of that as anyone and they abuse the hell out of it. They play off of each other's characters, they make jokes about it, they almost always fall completely in line with the expectations the person's character sets. Sasshi's is no exception.

19. Parikkuren

Parikkuren Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Can we agree that there is perhaps a middle ground here?

Yes, it's Sasshi's image that she is supposed to fail, and that's why it's repeated so much 'Sasshi can't win'

But I think oscar does have a partial point. Repeated enough times, the things that are said jokingly can become cruel over time. Think of Akimoto Sayaka and her athleticism - yes, it was part of her image, but it was blindingly obvious after a while that she was genuinely upset about being called a gorilla, all the time.

That's why I think you're both right - the others are not trying to be cruel, they're only responding to the character and playing along - but it's possible that it still is hurtful (or will be, given enough time. though I do think this is less likely in Sasshi's case, because pretty much everyone knows that Sasshi is actually much more clever than she pretends and pretty good at show biz).

Also you have to remember - take Mayuyu and Yuko for example - when they talk about being beaten by Sasshi and they sound upset - they didn't win. They are going to be upset regardless. It's entirely possible we only see the frustration at losing, and because they are playing to Sasshi's fail character, it comes across that they are more upset about it being Sasshi, rather than just their actual disappointment at not winning.

20. leoASH

leoASH Kenkyuusei

about the kato kicking mayu head incident i guess it depends on people opinion. Even some of non akb fans also bashing this. I just laugh it out about it since i've been following japanese variety show for long time before i knew akb. The okamura sensei apologize to mayu as joke only as u can see in previous mechaike where they make fun of sasshi & minegeshi incident. I guess the only flaw of mayuyu fans have because not use to see mayu image like that. Mayu changing her hairstyles was also the big deal for us :^O^: .In the end this show was meant not to be taking seriously. But the past is already past & mayu herself state that she was ok.

About the show i'm not really laugh about it. Mostly i'm in normal mood & laugh at certain part only . Momusu mechaike was hell a lot of fun than this. The baka mechaike i'm really not enjoy thanks to the person that imitates atsuko :hmm: . Anyway yuko my 1st oshi was really so awesome. Rena i'm glad she won & never expect she was really bad in sports :lol: :lol: