1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Unpopular Opinions

Discussion in 'General Nogizaka46 Discussion' started by ひめか, Apr 17, 2019.

1. gish0046

gish0046 Upcoming Girls

One issue I've noticed is that as the first gen get older, they start being more focused on outside work and less on Nogi.
    Which is fine and understandable, but the problem is that they are still there hogging the fukujin/senbatsu spots and usually being the main focus in variety.
    The newer gens are still in their shadow so it puts them at a disadvantage and makes it a lot harder for them achieve what 1st gen achieved.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I kind of wish the older 1st gen members would just hurry up and graduate already.
    Not that I dislike but I would rather see 3rd and 4th gen members, who are still mostly focused entirely on Nogi and who are hungry to succeed, get the spotlight rather than 1st gen members who are just kind of coasting until they eventually graduate.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
  2. Seditious46

Seditious46 Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Higuchi Hina
    I think it's only fair for the 1st gen to reap the benefits of their efforts.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. JPSolitude

JPSolitude Kenkyuusei

I predict that Nogizaka46 has a good 5-10 years left before they begin to fade away similar to what is happening to AKB now. As soon as the key members of Nogi graduate, the decline of the group will start.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. silver247

silver247 Kenkyuusei

I totally agree with this.

IMO 1 of factors that 3rd gen - 4th gen currently lack is segment for getting know more about them and let them create solid and distinctive character in Nogichuu (like early era in Nogidoko). Nogichuu nowadays standard is pretty drop from the standard they've made in 2015-2017, they keep using gameshow and repeat ideas that already used (and not successful in every case).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

The hard part of variety is not everything is guaranteed golden jackpot. Sometimes a repeated ideas comes with viewer expectation bar related with past episode, which are either bound to be overlapped or not. "Overlapped" create an even higher bar for future episode(and future gen) if rehashed, and "Not" creates illusion that those new gen are.....not up to par with their senpai.

Lose-lose scenario.

6. sambelteri12

sambelteri12 Next Girls

Yamashita took 2 dramas in a row, get sick, then hiatus from Nogi. She's 3rd gen.
    If 3rd and 4th gen take the spotlight and become popular, outside job will come to them. So, does they should graduate too for that reason?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Conjyak

Conjyak Member

Or if you like variety and understand the above, then it's a win-win scenario :). If it "overlaps," you're happy you've seen a greater and better sequel to the older version. If it doesn't, you're still happy that they brought back a good idea (a good idea and episode is still a good episode even if it doesn't exceed an older episode's quality) or are trying out new ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jinxedbomb

jinxedbomb Kenkyuusei

Yeah, I agree - when you have episodes with quizzes containing questions from Nogidoko (primarily content from 1st gen) on Nogichuu, that's not good. Of course, they're entertaining but it doesn't focus on the present which is showing more of the 2nd gen's+ sides. 2018 had a lot of physical interactions between members in their jerseys, it would be nice to have that type of content again. I'm mixed on what's happened in 2019 with 4th gen's explosion of promotion, the 2nd gen gets shafted yet again because management wants to play favoritism instead of getting them the promotion that they needed from the start, stuck with the middle child syndrome. Then 3rd gen presence suddenly disappeared from the moment the 4th gen came. :fp: I'd love to see the newer gens debate on skydiving, pranks, episodes that focus on "interesting" members and battles with meals again.

It's true, not every group can always stay on the top when you have a graduation system and rely on certain members with the star quality tbh. Unless Nogizaka manages to have someone on the level of Shiraishi/Ikuta in there, I doubt they can still be on the top after the next few years.

Honestly, there really is a difference between joining the group at the beginning (little to no recognition) versus later on. I'm pretty attached to the 1st gen since they did so many things at the start from the bottom like promoting themselves to the public, which the later gens unfortunately won't get to experience because they're well-known + treated better now. I'm fully aware that it's the reason why I can't get into the newer gens as easily compared to the 1st gen OGs.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  9. towiti

towiti Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    akimotomanatsu
    Hogging? I thought the sentiment is that they are the ones who keep the boat afloat.

Well they tried this with Nogiten really, but I don't think it was very successful. But if they pushed it too far, we could have had ended up with a new group entirely lol (Hiragana Oshi, am I right)? So yeah, either way, I wonder if it's good for Nogi.

Okay, I think I can sense a sort of frustration in many of the recent posts here; among many of us, we seem to share the idea that the group is in a kind of slump. It's understandable. When 1st gens AKB were graduating the group stagnated and still is even now. Nogizaka 1st gens are graduating and the group is stagnating. We saw this, and we wanna stop it. Hence we come up with ideas, try to spice things up. Sticking with 1st gen and we are doom like AKB, etc., right?

Well I think management knows this, and they are also struggling to find a way to expand groups at this critical point too. Right now I think they are trying to go international. AKB is making new sister groups which kinda fails as of now, but for Nogizaka it could be something else.

Hopefully one day I can watch Nogi's show on my local cable network.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Seditious46

Seditious46 Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Higuchi Hina
    Stagnating how? As far as I can tell, Nogizaka46 is still on the rise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. baymon

baymon Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Shiraishi Mai
    Single sales this year does not top any of last year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. EinhanderX

EinhanderX Next Girls

It can be said still on the rise because the competitor has their own problem.

For idol tier, Nogi still remain on tier 1, tied with AKB/Keya. But mistake on handling this Nogi regeneration(There's another 1kisei graduation btw), we're talking gradual decline that eventually come for every established idol group before.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Seditious46

Seditious46 Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Higuchi Hina
    True, but single sales aren't the only indication of a group's position, especially when it comes to idol groups, who's activities are broader than just releasing music.

To be honest, I can't back up my statement with hard numbers, but I follow the group every day and I feel like their exposure is ever growing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteCola

SteCola Future Girls

Oshimen:
    tamurahono
    Nogi has obviously reached its peak, they're at the top of their popularity currently, and it started since 2017 that momentum where they're at their peak.

It's not about sales, cause if you look at them AKB is still doing strong and even better than 46 groups, but of course AKB's popularity has declined since their peak years adn the group isn't as strong and popular as Sakamichi series nowadays. Every single artist/group has a moment where is at his peak and it's a normal thing. You can't pretend them getting bigger and bigger like forever.

It's really hard that they're going to rise and getting new peaks with all these top members graduation.
    You can already look at this by this year. As long as Nogi is still slaying in 2019 and they're still the top idol group of Japan, their momentum doesn't seem as big as they were 2017 and 2018. But its' pretty normal.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  15. vshav

vshav Member

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Kotoko
    This might spark long-winding debate, but I'll just ask here anyway.

Do you guys think any other sakamichi group can overtop what Nogi has been able to achieve? If yes, in what sense?

16. Meiji Ishin

Meiji Ishin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    horimiona
    In what sense? Sales probably not if for no other reason than the other groups simply don't have number of members to match Nogi's sales.
    FWIW "Silent Majority" is easily the most popular and best known Sakamichi song among the general public, so I guess that's a win for Keya.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. SteCola

SteCola Future Girls

Oshimen:
    tamurahono
    Yeah, Keya's singles reached more the general public than Nogi's ones. But I still think Nogi's more powerful and marketable to the gp. You see Nogizaka members in lot of popular and famous commercials in Japan, they're everywhere. They're in lot of tv shows and current and graduated members are well known and seen everywhere in movies, dramas, theaters, commercials etc.

Keya seems less marketable from that pov and it seems they had a strong momentum but they're currently struggling and losing it, while AKB and Nogizaka groups did the opposite: they needed some years to reach the peak.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. miwa

miwa Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Mirei
    Maybe Hinatazaka, but not Keyaki. Although Keyaki's music is more popular with the public, Nogi's members are more known and more marketable. That said, Nogizaka and Keyaki/Hinata have different managements so that plays a part in this too.

19. Gofindnova

Gofindnova Future Girls

For reference, the Nikkei Entertainment idol rankings from June:
    https://twitter.com/maiyanee/status/1135054175174299648
    The biggest jump for most Nogi members was from ’17 to ’18, but the growth from ’18 to ’19 is actually comparable to previous years. So if no one graduates (a big “if”), the predicted trend is still upwards.
    Only 1st gen show up in the top idols for both the public recognition and “power ranking” lists. 2nd and 3rd gen only start to show up towards the bottom of the public recognition survey: Shinuchi, Hori (13%) Mizuki, Hoshino, Momoko (12.5%) Yoda (11%) Umezawa (9.5%). Can these girls (or the 4th gen) rise to the top after the 1st gen graduate? I don't know. For the sake of the group’s longevity, I do think they should be promoting newer gens more consistently.

I don’t see Asuka graduating anytime soon though. So if no other girls become huge, then in a few years, the faces of Nogi and Keyaki are going to be Asuka and Techi – and Techi is currently ranked higher than Asuka. I think it’d be difficult for Keyaki to broadly exceed Nogi for at least another generation, for the reasons mentioned by the posters above. But in the absence of Ikumai, it's possible that Techi could rise even higher and become The Idol that everyone talks about, thus generating headlines to make Keyakizaka at least more “interesting” to the public than Nogizaka. That could be one reason why Keyaki’s strategy still seems to be going all in on Techi. But I don’t want to start more arguments about that strategy, so I’ll leave it there.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. jinxedbomb

jinxedbomb Kenkyuusei

I understand where you're coming from, with tons of content like musicals, photobooks and modeling stuff that Nogizaka members are currently working with, there's many things going on for the girls individually. It's great that they're continuously raking in $$$ like they're expected to. It's the group's current/future music and variety, the lack of the personality aspect that's dwindling and will cost them in the long run, losing the origin of what Nogizaka was built on. From how I see it, the group is overflowing with newer gen members as models, their faces on top magazines, tv shows and movies, indirectly creating an imbalance between their outside activities and the much needed variety show entertainment. It's the "idol" aspect, the fun to watch while facing variety and overcoming obstacles (single campaigns aren't enough) challenges as a group, side of later gen+ Nogizaka that is currently inadequate and missing out on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2