1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Welcome to Stage48 version 6!

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Mr Waffle, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    I'm sure everyone is confused and starry-eyed by the different look, but we're finally here, in the future! Welcome to the 6th big update for Stage48! For nearly 7 years the forum has grown from a quiet retreat from the jpop world for people to talk about some crazy new group called AKB48, to becoming one of the biggest AKB48 (if not jpop!) resources on the internet.

We've used phpBB forum software through numerous versions, but since it's free software, we've gotten what we paid for (lots of issues, especially as it gets older)! So we finally decided to make the jump to proper software, and we chose Xenforo for the task. Some things are the same, some things are very different, and most of it is better. It'll take a while for all of us to get used to the functions of the forum, so I recommend poking around for yourself, going into your settings and making sure it's all nice and up to date (your birthday, gender, occupation etc might be set wrong
    :^^;:).

Due to the forum having made a very big leap from one software to another, there can and will be issues, unfortunately. As you've surely noticed, avatars didn't carry over- you'll need to set that up again. You'll be able to upload your own avatar via "Avatar" in your drop-down menu (check your name in the top right corner of the forum!), and then the forum will resize it. Before we moved over I recommended using a square avatar, but I will probably be revising that soon slightly. For now go for a nice square-ish one and it'll be fine.

You'll come across things like broken youtube and vimeo links scattered around the place, unfortunately that couldn't be helped. If it happened to one of your posts, or in the future, just paste the link into your post, and the forum will automagically turn it into an embedded video for people to watch. Most smilies are still here (though not sorted into order yet, sorry!), and spoilers still work- you'll just need to pick it from the drop-down "insert" menu on the make new post page, or in the quick reply. Yes! We have quick reply, woohoo! Attachments should all be fine too.

Over the coming days we'll be tweaking things here and there, like colours or layouts and the like. We could've kept the forum shut down to do all that behind the scenes, but then you guys would be super bored (and so would we!). So we decided to get all the important stuff done first and work on the rest as we go. I hope you'll be patient as we polish up the place and make it perfect like it deserves. If you find problems, please make sure to post about it (with a screencap attached if needed) at the new suggestion thread! And yes, we know the forum is really longggg at the moment, we're working on more design for that, as well as the currently not-doing-anything pictures on the front page.

Finally, big thanks to aezea48 for designing the new layout, we all fell in love when we saw it so I hope you guys love it too! He's a professional too, check him on twitter!

TLDR version:

new software, still working on it, have fun!

Yossha, Ikuzo! :banana:

ps we're re-working and updating the rules covering a bunch of different topics, so expect more to come!

pps again, if you find bugs or errors or broken things, post them in the feedback thread! And yes I know the forum is really long and the pictures don't do anything, you don't need to say anything! We're still working on it!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. rka

rka Senbatsu Stage48 Donor

Awesome design. I am missing the "view your posts" button, though. Just a minor thing - would be nice if you can add sth like it.

3. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Click on your own name and then click on the number of posts you've got, it'll show you your post history.

To get on top of any questions:

"New posts" is posts you haven't read yet (so will disappear after you've read them), while "Recent posts" is just new stuff in general. Yeah, I wanna rename "new posts" to "unread" asap.

To read the newest post in a thread click on the little blue light. I wanna change that too.

Some smilies are broken, I've imported most of them but still some more to go.

I think nested quotes (aka a quote within a quote) might be broken, I'll need to check more.

It's not super clear but if you want to write a hyperlink with text, highlight the text and then click the URL button, that'll turn the text into a link.

4. Galaxy Red

Galaxy Red Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    what a major change! still confused about each feature but I'll try each of them by myself. it is nice to see the new layout. thank you for your hard work!!!:)

5. DreamingPebbles

DreamingPebbles Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uimashiro
    Twitter:
    dreamingpebbles
    Thanks a lot to Mr Waffle and to all the Stage48 staff for updating the forum! Now I can finally stop working!

Just a question though. I noticed the new software supports Likes, which the staff had said wasn't going to be implemented. Is this feature going to be removed or is it here to stay?

6. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Welllllll.................. that's up in the air at the moment :lol: we found it was too difficult to remove Likes from the software, it's very ingrained. So we can't do much about it. There's an add-on that gives more flexibility (eg only staff can do them, or different types of Likes) which we're looking at, but it costs money so... it's up in the air.

7. tamtamnia

tamtamnia Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oshimaryoka
    It's a modern layout and really nice :) . Thanks for your great work

8. Ermera

Ermera Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    amazing:)
    thank you for mr waffle and stage 48 crew for your hardwork:)
    new features and new layout..this forum looks very fresh...i must explore the new features at this forum:1st:

9. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

Love the new look. I admit, will take me a while to get used to the new look.

I love the stats in the Notable Members section btw.

10. DreamingPebbles

DreamingPebbles Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uimashiro
    Twitter:
    dreamingpebbles
    Whoa I get an alert when someone quotes me! Thumbs up!

Just leave the Likes please! As long as people cannot "dislike" or downvote a post it should be fine.

11. natsu-kun

natsu-kun Kenkyuusei Wiki48 Admin

Oshimen:
    48 x 404
    Twitter:
    48nefi
    I just had Autoclicker on my computer automatically hitting F5 every 40th second :hehe: (the reason why the forum was down.. *whist*)

Does the BBCode work here.. like on previous software I usually wrote all codes myself *thinks*

12. Chrissel

Chrissel Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Sugiyama Aika
    Twitter:
    kurisuuu48
    I really like the new design! It has a really fresh and modern look and imo it's really easy to get used to it. Great job!!:approve::approve:

13. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    The main concern with the Likes system is that, say, every person in a member's thread will Like every other person's post in there, meaning it's kind of pointless. We hope people will treat it with a bit of respect, Liking posts that are very well written, very thoughtful, have merit etc.

I think if you click the far-right button on the reply window (the piece of paper and spanner) it goes into BB-code mode, but I've just been using the buttons myself :hehe: it'll automatically pick up on smilies at least.

14. sonic31s

sonic31s Kenkyuusei

Thanks so much for the new design and updates... still new to the updates need to adapt quickly.

15. cubozoa

cubozoa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    suzumotomiyu
    Twitter:
    Cubozoa48
    Yeah sadly that's kind of common in artist threads of kpop forums.

Ah I'm glad I see some of the old S48 emoticons. [hehe] Usually newer forum software come along with way too oversized smilies that mess up longer posts.

16. infinitehippos

infinitehippos Member

Nice new feel to the forum :)

If we were getting email alerts to updates to threads will that have been carried over or will we have to set that again?

edit:

Apparently so ... with the added improvement that the email gives you a link to all your subscribed threads with new messages on one page too! Nice!

17. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    The new version is very clear, neat and pretty, congratulation to all the staff members, you did a great job!
    Can't wait to discover all the new features (already chanced upon some of them)

18. Sayumi4

Sayumi4 Kenkyuusei

Thanks Mr.Waffle and all the other staffs hard work the new design looks great!
    I wanted to change my signature but it wants a url so I was wondering if the was a way to upload it from my computer or do I still have to host the file somewhere else?

19. Erepyon's lover

Erepyon's lover Kenkyuusei

Wow good design ^^ .
    But i'm lost i don't find Erepyon's gallery anymore (T__T) please Halp

20. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    haha yeah I couldn't survive without some of my favourite emoticons :rofl: plus some of the new ones are great :poop:

The signature still needs to be hosted somewhere else, only the avatar can be uploaded.

Each group has its own "graduated members" sub-forums now, so she's in the AKB48 graduated member forum, which has its own gallery. However we haven't finished moving all the galleries, they're not labelled with the Team names like the member threads were so it's taking a while to sort them all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.