What should the minimum age for members be?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by technosworld, Apr 28, 2015.

?

What should the minimum age for members be?

1. 17

9 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. 16

20 vote(s)
    12.7%
  3. 15

15 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. 14

34 vote(s)
    21.5%
  5. 13

30 vote(s)
    19.0%
  6. 12

23 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. 11

17 vote(s)
    10.8%
  8. 10

10 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. rijung

rijung Kenkyuusei

I think looking at what jurina and others said about herself, they always said she was just a kid back then but with so much pressure. So yeah... Go figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. paruchory

paruchory Kenkyuusei

Minimum 14/15 (barely acceptable age Imo)

Inviato dal mio D2303 utilizzando Tapatalk

3. Mimikkyu

Mimikkyu Member

Oshimen:
    48G itself.
    This thread is from 2015.
    Today under the number of 48, there is JNR48, a group having members as young as 6.

4. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    SNH doesn't count.

As to the (ancient) topic of the thread, 10 is a nice round number. Mind you it shouldn't be the usual age (I think members joining at 14-16 have generally turned out the best), but the question was the minimum.

edit: Yuiri joined at 14, guess I gotta drop the ideal range by 1 :^^;:

5. kojimako

kojimako Member Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    Kojima Mako
    Twitter:
    48keran
    there are very strict laws in china concerning the amount of work minors can do in entertainment. JNR48 hardly ever has events, compared to the number of theatre shows kenkyuusei do in JPN48.

6. RockField64

RockField64 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yukirin!
    For me, I think the minimum age for members of AKB48 would be 11 because I think it will be better if they will start young so they will be able to develop their skills as an idol over time as they grow older. In Jurina's case, at the age of 11, she was the chosen center for the song, "Oogoe Diamond" back in 2008. Well, that's just me and it wouldn't hurt if 11-year-old aspiring idols will give their selves a try in the industry.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. welp

welp Next Girls

I think there should be difference between minimum age of trainees and minimum age of members.
    Idol falls in the brackets of "child labor" and universally accepted minimum age of child labor is 15. They may start being trainee 1 or 2 years earlier with very limited working hours and various restrictions such as, no handshake event, no SNS. (Showroom streaming counted in working hours.)
    What is this "skills as an idol"? Fan service? Why on earth should 11 years old girl learn how to appease middle aged men?
    Since you mentioned Jurina, were not you aware how debuting so young affected her mentally?

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  8. Heelo

Heelo Kenkyuusei

I'd cast my vote for 18 if I could to be honest. I get that they need time to train or something, but I already feel bad for them for missing out on their high school years (though those weren't too fun for me, seeing as they were cut off by COVID lol)

9. RockField64

RockField64 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yukirin!

If that's the case then I admit I need to know more about the group since I only listen to some of their music most of the time.

The skills that I am talking about is singing and dancing.

Anyway, I admit I still need to learn a lot about the group.

10. welp

welp Next Girls

From what I read, those in early teenage needed to go to school as that was where they could make friends of similar ages and interact with them in flesh for healthy mental development.
    Unless there is something traumatized, all bitter middle school memories is a part of growing up.
    For high school, I think it is more economical. High school education highly likely enables a person to get better job and can better understand and learn something more technical/complicated. May you be mere a farmer, you can better understand when you are explained why you must meet EU standard and how to do so.

The reason for members debuting young is nothing about training bullshit. It's all commercial. Generally, adult members are not as well-received by fans as minor members. (Don't talk to me about popular adult members unless they debuted when they were already adult.) The average debut age of SNH48 side is much older and its members are less skilled by no objective standard.

Yes. Absolutely. Since when AKB48 teaches its members sing and dance skill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    Don't mind him, you probably know more about the group than he does (notice how all his examples are of Korean and Chinese groups).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. x_lambs

x_lambs Next Girls Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    worklodz
    Clearly you have never been to high school on the USA. If an American teenager can navigate 4 years without DUI/pregnancy/getting shot, it's considered a win for the US education system.

Missing Japanese high school may be a detriment. But remember AKB48 is/was the illusion of an after school activity. On Erii's YT when she did the word association game for "school club" Erii answered "go home" meaning she is one of those students that would just go home after school anyway. Neither is she an academic like Rei and Kubo. Idoling is all Erii got.

my point is, not everyone gets the same experience from secondary school. some exceptional people excel outside of institutional learning. people than can pass the AKB48 audition are, imo, all exceptional people.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. wlerin

wlerin Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Taniguchi Megu
    They attend high school anyway, so...? Sure they might not spend the entire day at school like most Japanese kids (school in the morning, circle activities in the evening), but as you said AKB48 becomes their circle activity. Of course, it works better as one when the new recruits are all about the same age...

14. welp

welp Next Girls

Since I can't argue with the comment itself, I'll just redirect to the one who comments. What a class! Keep going.

LMFAO.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. RockField64

RockField64 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yukirin!
    Thanks, man but I am still a novice about AKB48 because I am a casual fan of their music. But anyway, I like your advice, man.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mimikkyu

Mimikkyu Member

Oshimen:
    48G itself.
    Here is the audition age limit of groups (as of latest audition), as of late 2022.
    AKB48: 12-20
    SKE48: 11 (no upper limit stated in their announcement but the oldest selected one was 20)
    NMB48: 11-22
    HKT48: 10-22
    NGT48: 12-20
    STU48: 12-20

So most 48 groups agree with 12.
    I don't know much about NMB but SKE and HKT have their own reasons to take younger kids.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Dokuro3313

Dokuro3313 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Onishi Momoka, Kojiharu
    I am against under 16 year-olds being sexualized. I know that the majority of fans would never share those intentions. But there still some, especially Ojisan-fans who are sexualizing idols. Aged 16 most idols already went through puberty, are mature enough to understand what it means to be an idol & what risks are existing, and could still stay for at least 10 years, graduating aged 26.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mimikkyu

Mimikkyu Member

Oshimen:
    48G itself.
    SKE48's 12th generation audition recruits female aged 12-18. This seems to be the first time a group explicitly denies candidates older than 18.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1