What SKE48 needs to reach AKB48 level?

Discussion in 'General SKE48 Discussion' started by shamurai48, Jul 8, 2012.

1. mieniem

mieniem Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kuramochiasuka
    ^Lol that is the most shortsighted thing i've heard.

2. Facehugger

Facehugger Kenkyuusei

I presumed we were talking about popularity.
    AKB48's popularity rose along with their raunchier videos.

I'm not talking quality, some of SKE48s songs are fantastic, but popularity and quality dont always go hand in hand

3. reddertar

reddertar Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuirena
    ^
    A catchy song is right, with a simple but standout dance routine anyone can follow. Just like any signature songs of famous artists; EXILE's choo choo train, KARA's mister, Marumaru Morimori, Kishidan's One night Carnival

I don't think Bikini PV is really a factor, SKE/NMB already did bikini ones, other random GG (TCG, idoling) already did ones. No one can make the same impact as AKB did with Hebirote

4. shamurai48

shamurai48 Member

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    I think catchy songs is already a trademark for SKE48 more than AKB48, AKB did a various type of songs if we count only A-side songs, when SKE did "Kataomi Finally" they changed their style a little bit, and that was awesome.
    I think SKE48 need some of the crazy things that happens in AKB48, like shuffles, Janken, sosenkyou .... etc, they need to rise the level of excitement and anxiety to the fans and to the media. The members except Wmatsui (different level) are already popular, but they need to step up a little further.

5. crunky12

crunky12 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashijuri
    I actually don't think SKE48 can ever reach AKB's level of fame. They are always gonna be known as "the sister group" and also the fact that I don't think they are even treated as fairly as they should. I feel slightly like they are a bit segregated and NMB has more of a chance even though they're more new. Plus they seem like their only source of exposure comes from WMatsui being in AKB's senbatsu. It doesn't help that they are from Nagoya, not Tokyo like AKB, they rent space for theater shows, probably make way less than the members of AKB, and only release 3 singles a year. They just don't get enough exposure and seem like they can't stand on their own. Basically they "need" AKB. I think the only way they can ever surpass them or even just reach their level is if AKB just stopped selling as much as they do. On a side note I remember the Matsui's, mainly Jurina, always saying how they wanna "overtake" AKB, but since her transfer to Team K she now says she just wants to be at their level. I still think it's impossible unless Akip just stops AKB and let's SKE carry on, becoming the dominant 48 group.

6. freezingkiss

freezingkiss Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yuihan
    SKE are SO popular in Japan and Nagoya has a really great love for them. When I was there in July I wore SKE shirts everywhere, and in Tokyo and Nagoya everyone was like 'AH! You like SKE48?' and it would immediately start conversation. A guy at a dessert stand in Sakae gave me a free Aozora Kataomoi CD because he saw I loved Jurina from my shirt.

SKE COULD get NEAR AKB's popularity but I agree that they need their own election! Even if it was just like 30 girls, 15 for senbatsu, 15 for unders, just to see how it went! NMB IS catching up yes but I don't think their quality is as consistent as SKE's and that's what will get them.

7. moomookan

moomookan Member Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    Yamauchi Mizuki, Yagi Toa
    AKB's first election only ranked 30 girls, right? Why can't SKE have one like that..? And they could arrange it to be in the winter or spring so it wouldn't clash with AKBs... It would be a good idea and probably make a ton of money! Maybe in April so while AKB does a Sakura single, SKE girls can start the new season with a new rank.

8. kunit38

kunit38 Kenkyuusei

yea NMB is gaining, i think and doing well but SKE has been going up as well and are doing very well especially with double ace in the Matsuis and i think a sousenkyo for them alone would work as well but idk why i dont really want it to happen, just me tho

9. x_lambs

x_lambs Next Girls Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    worklodz
    Need to find the top singers in SKE48. We know the top singers in AKB48 (at least we all have our opinions) but who are the top vocals in SKE? W Matsui are nice to look at and Jurina is a grade A dancer but I would say they have cute singing voice rather than great vocal range. Well I do like Rena's Kareha no Station. [sweat] Hata-san brings a lot to the table but I've never heard her belt one out. I'd like to see a singing competition among the SKE48 members..

I mostly lurk the AKB threads so if topic has already discussed please point the way :)

10. kanjo

kanjo Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Nishino Nanase
    In my humble opinion, they could really use:

1. A real variety show with a real comedian/duo, on a real network.
    2. A HR-esque danceable song for girls to copy on youtube/nico.
    3. Sousenkyo tickets. SKE got loads of seats in the election which is great but they would not only get more places, but would also gain more attention from high single sales if you had to buy/were able to use the SKE summer single to vote for SKE members (maybe even going by type (eg. type S for team S votes) with each having a team coupling song with a DVD appeal set)

11. kanchiriinu

kanchiriinu Kenkyuusei

Simply putting, they are always and has been as awesome as their main sister group AKB48.
    There is only one simple ruling out of all to make it that level and that is probably exposure.
    Of course, like promotiong the general 48 groups is always using AKB, but when a fan really gets into the fandom, they would very much want to find out more, thus wandering more into the sub units and groups and the likes.

12. IXA

IXA Member

Oshimen:
    matsuokanatsumi
    Twitter:
    Ixatsu
    SKE can't too much depend on WMatsui , they need more prominent member . And also , they should more active in commercial or reality show .
    And if they reach some levels , they should make a show somewhere out from Japan .

P.S Sorry for my bad english

13. xxdelta

xxdelta Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kizakiyuria
    I agree with you there. Although the sister groups are doing pretty well in terms of sales, their fame mostly channels from their link to AKB and their loyal theatre fans. I always had in my mind that oneday one of the sister groups might overtake AKB and become the dominant group, but for now I don't think SKE has the right level of exposure to do so.

14. IXA

IXA Member

Oshimen:
    matsuokanatsumi
    Twitter:
    Ixatsu
    yup , i can conclude that SKE are overshadowed by AKB .

15. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

I think it will be AKB's level that will go down. They will not be selling 1 million singles forever, so... I think the whole 48 groups would still be selling like crazy but staying around 500k.

For me, the thing is that SKE still doesn't have a "sound" of itself. I don't really know how to put this, since AKB change styles for every single, but I feel like SKE songs could be sung by anyone while NMB has songs like Virginity that, in my opinion, makes Sayanee's face pop in your mind just like that.

Maybe they'll make a change for next year, since the batch of AKB singles from BINGO! to Iiwake Maybe were all this happy summery songs (with the exception of Sakura no Hanabiratachi 2008) and then they had their BANG with RIVER, so... yeah, a message song or just a type of song that can showcase that they're able to do more stuff than chanting I LOVE YOU would be nice.

Also, and I know it's been said before, let them have their own election (same goes for NMB). If it worked for AKB, why not for them? Also, drawning a line between the groups would do no harm. AKB elections should be for AKB members. SKE elections should be for SKE members as their RH is for SKE songs.
    After releasing the singles from their own elections, they could have a BIG 48 ELECTION to celebrate summer all together with another single. And then have a BIG 48 JANKEN TOURNAMENT with all the 48 groups and release the typical Christmas single.

Most importantly, I feel like groups should have their own releases and not mingle with each other. In UZA's senbatsu we have 6 "outsiders" and, in the last election, more than half of the Under Girls were SKE. Wouldn't it be a better treat for those girls to acvtually be in the senbatsu of their group and do promotions around Japan instead of just filming a PV for the coupling song of their sisters? And wouldn't it be better for all those AKB members who are ranking lower to get higher and make them work harder?

And, of course, having more music out. Why haven't they released anything since Kiss Datte in September?
    NMB released Virginity in August and had Kitagawa out now.
    AKB had UZA out at the end of October and just a month later they'll have the janken single out.
    I think it's time they get that 4th single per year like their sisters.

I suppose getting more music part of the girls desires, but, in the end, it all comes to what Aki-P and their people decide.
    In the meantime, I keep coming here to see if they've announced something new and everytime it's a no-no. :(

*wow, what a rant* lol

16. kanchiriinu

kanchiriinu Kenkyuusei

But despite all that, I guess it's just always up to the fans to decide if they ever wanna wander into more sister groups haha, all is fun and good.

17. IXA

IXA Member

Oshimen:
    matsuokanatsumi
    Twitter:
    Ixatsu
    yeah , many fans who 'addicted' with AKB48 will go more deep to their sister groups , and i agreed , SKE need more exposed to media whenever they do a tour or release a new single

18. kokiburi

kokiburi Kenkyuusei

In 4 years of existence, SKE released 10 singles. When AKB released 27 in 7 years... :hmm: They're definitely slow at releasing songs (though AKB itself is really releasing a lot, too much in my opinion).

Problem is SKE's centers are continuously working with AKB. Being part of AKB senbatsu they've little time left for SKE. Jurina's case especially is ridiculous. How is she supposed to be center in both groups, work to promote AKB and SKE's singles, be part of K and S and, go to school?
    People keep saying "It's great, she brings attention to SKE by being so exposed in AKB". Yeah, right, except that SKE has to slow down and reach terribly low level of activity because their center is too damn busy in Tokyo...

At this point, I wouldn't mind SKE releasing "intermediary singles", without Jurina (and Rena?) before their "main single" with WMatsui. It would keep the group busy, help to expose new members, expend their register... That would be exciting!

Not enough time to organize HS events? Simply remove sister groups from AKB HS events. It's wasting their time and imparting their own sales. How comes you have to pay to AKB's singles to meets SKE members? Because they appear 2 sec in coupling song? Well then, 1 HS event instead of 5 or 6 should do.

tl;dr : Would be nice if SKE members had more time to devote to their own group.

19. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

That's the thing. Make WMatsui members of AKB and let the rest of SKE work without them. It's not like there's no potential for an ace between them.

I don't think Jurina brings attention to SKE just by being in AKB's senbatsu. She brings attention to herself because she's a well known face, but that's it. SKE feels more like a sub-unit made for Jurina than a group itself.

And I think AKB's pace of releasing singles is simply great because people don't have time to get tired of one single when the next is released. They're always in the eye of the tornado, and it is what keeps them up there.

20. kokiburi

kokiburi Kenkyuusei

Why making J and R members of AKB? Wouldn't it be more fair to return them completely to SKE instead? That's where they passed their auditions, the group for which they really fought all that time and they're the group figures... Sure SKE needs to develop other talents thus the idea of having releases without WMatsui to push them forward but the day J or R are transferred to AKB, I'm giving up on this fandom for good.

What would be the message if that happened? "We're using sister groups to raise talents and snatch them away once they're good enough to sustain AKB"? Who would want to follow groups which sole purpose is to serve as a meat-reserve for another one? :tongue: And try to put yourself in the girls shoes. What motivation would they have left? Their captain is gone, their center is constantly borrowed by AKB, one of their major member just graduated out of the blue... They don't need anything taken from them anymore.