1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

your opinion on numbers

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by amcks, May 26, 2008.

1. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

well, haruna,
    ur name is now officially up on the number 7 post^^

2. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

NEW UPDATE:
    the number 1 is not on the menu anymore, coz sakurasi has requested for the number 3 which apparently is my second fav number, and it appears to be that he wanted it to be SPECIAL well, i am so looking forward to this^^

3. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

this post is specially for me and sakurasi^^

~"a favourite number among storytellers, three is a special number in both science and the arts. it stands for solidity, balance and completion"
    ~"now there are three steps to heaven, just listen and you will plainly see" 'Three Steps to Heaven' by Eddie Cochrane, 1960
    ~the number three occurs repeatedly in scripture and mythology:
    **Christianity has the Holy Trinity of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
    **Islam has three holy cities, Mecca, Medina, and Jerusalem.
    **Yin and Yang were warring opposites, heaven and earth, that had to be balanced by a third party, man.
    **Taoism has three deities called the Three Pure Ones.
    **Brahma, Shiva, and Vishnu are three trinity of Hindu gods.
    **Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha are the three 'treasures' of Buddhism
    **Norse mythology tells us of three Norns: Urd, Verdandi and Skuld, who wove the tapestry of our fate, each person's life being a thread in the tapestry.
    ~three good reasons why three is such a popular number:
    **Storytellers are governed by the associations of certain numbers.
    ***One is a hero, a loner, not lending itself to dialogue and cooperation.
    ***two is a romance, or a rivalry.
    and so, for a group of characters who act as one unit, with human interaction but without romance, the first and simplest choice is three.
    ***Of course, while a third party can provide the balance between two sparring factions, it can also put a dramatic spoke in the wheel - the classic "ménage à trois"
    **when people try to perform a task in time with each other, e.g. lifting a wardrobe, they count to three before lifting in unison. This is because it takes a count of three to establish a rhythm, so that everyone heaves at the same moment.
    **a man has 10 pairs of socks, 5 red, 5 blue, but he keeps them loose in his drawer. as he's dressing for dinner the light bulb in his room blows just as he's about tp get his socks out, so he decides to take a few and put them on downstairs where he can see. How many socks would ha have to take out of his drawer to ensure he had a matching pair? The answer is three, because if the first two are different colors, the third will definitely match one of them. If the first two are the same, that's the job done. what about if the man took out two socks? there is still a 50/50 chance of him getting the wrong pair. this is a good explanation of why we say 'third time lucky'
    ~some more threes:
    *Three Little Pigs
    *Three Blind Mice
    *The Three Bears
    *The Three Musketeers
    *Three Witches in Macbeth
    *Three Strikes and You're Out
    *The Three Stooges
    *The Three Virtues - Faith, Hope, and Charity
    *The Three Graces - Beauty, Mirth, and Good Cheer
    *The Three Tenors - Luciano Pavarotti, Placido Domingo, José Carreras
    ~3 is the general part number of an insect: Head, Thorax, Abdomen
    ~the atomic number of lithium (what's more? lithium is the 33rd most abundant element in the universe)
    ~Atoms consists of three constituents: protons, neutrons, and electrons

in conclusion, i could say that three is another divine number, the number of completion, of absolute.

credits:
    ~(90%)The Book of Numbers
    ~(10%)Wikipedia

this post is dedicated to:
    ~sakurasi
    ~amcks

4. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

really sorry sakurasi, i only have limited time for now, so most of the things are researched from the book of numbers >< and not from wiki ><

5. haruna_hamasaki

haruna_hamasaki Senbatsu Staff Member Studio48 Admin

Thanks for it. <3 You're awesome!

6. Greta

Greta Kenkyuusei

My significant digit is 6. I'm born on April 6th. I live on the 6th floor.

lol~

7. Aigon

Aigon Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    TheJOMarra
    Surprisingly, 666 has always been a good number for me...not all evil as its supposed to be. Heck, my birthday a couple of years ago was on the date 06/06/06 :twisted:

8. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

rock on!
    next up, Aigon's and Greta's devil number, the 666
    death awaits^^

9. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

as i promised...666...the omen

~666 is the most sinister number of all but it highlights the fact that, while the world is made up of many religions, not all of them can be right. For while 666 is the devil's number in Christianity and symbolizes the coming of the end of the world, in Chinese culture it sounds like 'things going smoothly' and regared as very lucky. Unless the Devil is Chinese, it doesn't add up
    ~Some Greek versions have the number at 'six-hundred ten six' (616). Whatever way you interpret this, it does seem to be saying that here is a number that needs to be examined. And for hundreds of years, scholars have duty obliged (further explanation below)
    ~The Origin of the diabolical nature of 666 lies in the Book of Revelations 13:18. Originally written in Hebrew and translated into Greek, this passage has been interpreted in many ways, but a fairly reliable translation is found in a 1982 hit single: "Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast. For it is a human number, its number is six hundred and sixty six" ~'The Number of the Beast' by Iron Maiden
    ~Some Theories about 666:
    ***The non-specific Theory:
    DCLXV1 is 666 in Roman numerals. And DCXVI is 616. Both, it is claimed, were used as expressions of unspecific large numbers, as we might say 'thousands' or 'millions'. This interpretation suggests that there is indeed a literal beast with a very high number
    ***The Caesar Theory:
    Another interpretation is that the number is code for a Roman who was regarded by the Christians of the time as a major threat. The Emperor Nero is a popular candidate for this theory, as his name in Greek has a numeral value of 666. Another suggestion is that it referred to Divus Claudius, whose mother even thought he looked like a beast. His initials DC give us 600 in Roman numerals, The Greek word of Caesar has a Gematria value of 60; and he was the sixth emperor after Julius Caesar. Six-hundred Sixty Six. So could this version simply have been a dig at the Romans?
    ***The Imperfection Theory:
    Just as 7 is seen as the number of perfection and divinity, God's number (see post on 7 about holiness), and 8 as the number of life (see post on 8 about Ba Gua), 6 is regarded as the nunber of imperfection: man. Man was created on the sixth day. Being imperfect in mind, body and soul, it is argued that 666 is simply man. 'For it is a human number'
    ***The Numerology Theory:
    No numerologist worth their salt could pass up such an invitation to find the hidden meaning in a number like this, and countless forms of Gematria have been used to throw up the name of the Beast. Some use straightforward numerical conversion: A=1, B=2, etc. Others use similar conversion, but raise the sequence beyond j=10 to k=20,l=30 etc. One sequence use the six times table: A=6, B=12 etc; another reverses this: Z=6, Y=12 etc. The Hebrew and Greek Gematria are also applied in many cases and the results of all these theories are quite stagerring. If you mix the numbers up enough, almost anyone will fit. Here's a list of some of the more prominent figures that have been fingered as a result:
    -Adolf Hitler
    -Bill Gates
    -Martin Luther
    -Napoleon Bonaparte
    -Ronald Reagan
    -Henry Kissinger
    -John F Kennedy
    -Pope John Paul II
    -Josef Stalin
    -Boris Yeltsin
    -Sadam Hussein
    -Ayatollah Khomeini
    -Santa Claus
    -The USA
    -The Computer
    -The World Wide Web
    -The Holy Bible
    (i would suggest not to randomly choose a name and try to prove whether it is related to 666 or not, coz you will spend years on deciding which numeral theory should you use to get the number, believe me, i tried it myself)

***The anti-capitalist Theory:
    'The love of money is the root of all evil,' is another biblical phrase (Thimoty 6:10) The spread of capitalism is seen by many as the greatest evil in modern times, and so they've set to work to find how 666 may be relevant to money. Lo and behold, 666 is the total value of the numbers in a roulette wheel. But it goes further, Look at a barcode on your groceries and you should see three pairs of narrow lines, one at each end and one in the middle. These three pairs of lines are identical in appearance to the symbol for number 6, but to the untrained eye they are preceived as 6. Therefore, the number 666 is intrinsic to international commerce. Furthermore, the quest for ever-greater security is leading towards doing away with credit cards and carrying our bank details in a code tatooed on our hand. The Book of Revelation says that every man shall carry the mark of the beast? Was this a reference to capitalism?

well, who would expect the number of the beast?
    there's a great potential in you^^

credits:
    ~The Book of Numbers

this post is dedicated to:
    ~Greta
    ~Aigon

one last fact:
    this post is posted around 12.00am GMT+7

10. Greta

Greta Kenkyuusei

Well, I can be quite tomboy'ish sometimes. xD

11. Copyninja

Copyninja Member

iirc '666' r fer a fire that burned london to the ground. :eek:

12. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

thx for viewing^^
    any other request?
    i do accept something absurd like phi or the avogardo number, just tell me, ill try my best^^
    thanks for viewing again^^

13. redux

redux Kenkyuusei

This thread got me thinking about why the number 13 is considered unlucky, I suppose I'd never bothered to think of it before.

Some of them I'd heard of before and others I'm just not familiar with at all; I never used to really care about it but for some reason now I do have some superstition with 13, I never like catching a clock on 13 seconds or something like, I always make sure to watch the clock a few seconds more so it wasn't the only number I see! :p Sad I know...

14. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

well hi there redux!!
    want me to do a review on 13?
    i'd be happy to do so^^

15. redux

redux Kenkyuusei

Hey amcks, thanks for the welcoming in the arrivals thread; and yeah sure it'd be cool to hear a few more things about 13, maybe it isn't considered an unlucky number by all cultures.

16. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

yeah baby!
    after some time, finally someone cares to request for a number^^
    well, evryone, comin' up, numbah 13!!!!
    and redux, bcoz ur a new member, i think it would be nice if i would make the request to be special,
    so, im gonna use references from "The Book of Numbers"
    special 13 comin right up!!

17. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

by sheer coincidence,
    chivor has requested 14^^

18. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

13~As unlucky as you'll ever be

~The most superstitious of all numbers, 13 is even responsible for a recoqnized pstchological condition, triskaidekaphobia~the fear of number 13. According to research, this costs the US economy alone millions of dollars each year in absenteeism, cancellations and so on.
    ~Many tall buildings will skip from level 12 to 14
    ~Certain highways have no 13th exit
    ~Sports teams often leave out the number 13 on their shirt numbers
    ~Two notable sporting exceptions are the NBA basketball player Wilt Chamberlain, who always wore 13, claiming it was unlucky for his opponents, and legendary Miami Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino, who broke the record for yards passed, but never won a Super Bowl.
    ~Some Math Facts:
    ~13 X 13 = 169 <----> 961 = 31 X 31
    ~13 - 1 - 3 = 9 = 3 to the power of 2
    ~13 + (1 X 3) = 16 = 4 to the power of 2

~Teenage Rampage:
    *13 is when children tend to start behaving strangely, rebelling against their parents and authority. Perhaps that's why the number instils fear. It is certainly tied in with the onset of puberty. The culture of the "teenager" is a very modern phenomenon, arising in the 1950s America, when rock 'n' roll and movies like Rebel Without a Cause starring James Dean tapped in a growing desire among young people to speak out and break free from the constraints of the family unit. America witnessed a massive rise in juvenile delinquency during that decade. In Judaism it has always been seen as a coming of age for Jewish boys; the Bar Mitzvah. For Jewish girls (Bat Mitzvah), this happens at the age of 12.

~Seat 13:
    *Airlines are particularly superstitious about the number 13, or at least their passengers are, and so they have no row 13 on board their planes, and tend not to run a flight number 13.

~There are 13 major joints in the human body, three er limb plus the neck
    ~5, 13, and 20 form the basis of the Mayan counting system
    ~13 buns in a baker's dozen. in 13th-century England, bakers caught shortchanging customers could have a hand chopped off. To insure against this, they gave out 13 buns when asked for a dozen
    ~13 steps traditionally led up to the gallows
    ~Every 2.7 years there are 13 lunar cycles instead of 12, meaning one month will see two full moons. The second full moon is called a blue moon, hence the expression "once in a blue moon". This may have added to the bad reputation of 13, since the menstrual cycle - a severe case of PMT, in those days, being a short step away from being branded a witch.

This post is dedicated to:
    ~redux
    ~nico_pink

Credits:
    ~The Book of Numbers

19. amcks

amcks Kenkyuusei

double release!!!!

14~The Number of Love

~Fourteen appears regularly in the bible, whether it be rams, lambs, cubits, wives or whatever. Above all, 14 is associated with love.
    ~February the 14th is Valentine's Day and it's the number of lines in a sonnet, the poetry form through which Shakespeare expressed so many romantic thoughts.
    ~one of Shakespeare's most famous sonnet of love:

'Shall i compare thee to a summer's day?
    Thou art more lovely and more temperate.
    Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
    And summer's lease hath all too short a date.
    Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
    And often his gold complexion dimmed;
    And every fair from fair sometime declines,
    By chance, or nature's changing course untrimmed.
    Bur thy eternal summer shall not fade
    Nor shall death brag thou wand'rest in his shade,
    When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st,
    So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
    So long lives this, and this gives life to thee

Romantic eh?

~14 stations of the cross, Via Dolorosa
    the christian ritual of tracing back Jesus Christ's journey to the sacrifice on the cross
    I Jesus is condemned to death
    II Jesus Receives the cross
    III The First Fall
    IV Jesus Meets His Mother
    V Simon of Cyrene carries the cross
    VI Veronica wipes Jesus' face with her veil
    VII The Second Fall
    VIII Jesus Meets the Women of Jerusalem
    IX The Third Fall
    X Jesus is Stripped of His Garments
    XI Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
    XII Jesus Dies on the cross
    XIII Jesus' body is removed from the cross (Pieta)
    XIV Jesus is laid in the tomb

14 steps of Jesus' love...

~Louis XIV of France, known as the Sun King, holds the record for the longest reign of any major European monarch - 72 years. He ruled from 1643 to 1715, having come to the throne at the age of 4.
    ~Bloody Valentine:
    The St.Vlentine's Day Massacre, which took place at the SMC Cartage Company on February 14 1929, was one of the most notorious incidents of the Prohibition era gang wars in Chicago. Though Al Capone was suspected of ordering the killing of seven members of rival Bugs Moran's gang, This was never proven, no one ever tried to. Eye witnesses saw two policeman and two men in plain clothes leaving the scene. They assumed these were members of the Chicago police, calmly leaving the scene, having cleared up whatever problem had caused the gunfire, but in fact, they must have been the killers, masquerading as policemen in order to get to get their weapons and face the wall. In that position, the seven men were mercilessly gunned down.

This Post is Dedicated to:
    ~Chivor
    ~amcks (coz this yr im 4^^)

Credits:
    ~The Book of Numbers

20. redux

redux Kenkyuusei

Thanks a bunch for that amcks! It's definitely interesting to see just how many things just a little old number can effect, and it ckinda makes me feel better about myself for being slightly superstitious of it as some people seem to take it waaay too far!

Hearing that about the airlines will definitely make me check it out next time I'm on holiday, though that may be some time away knowing my luck...thirteen years probably.