Your ultimate all-time favourite song?

Discussion in 'The Music Forum' started by Kyobu, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Kyobu

Kyobu Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    takahashijuri
    What is your all-time favourite song?
    How long has it been your favourite song?
    Does it have any special meaning to you?
    A link to it would be amazing.

Mine, Katie Melua - I cried for you. I first heard this a few years back, and there hasn't been a day since where I havn't listened to it. Even though it doesn't really have a "special" meaning, it does bring back a lot of memories from when I was in college (simply because when I first put the song on my mp3 player I used to have it on repeat all day). The song's a little, emotional but, it mainly brings back happier memories.

I actually remember the first time I heard it. I had just woken up on a school day, realising I had overslept and I needed to be at school like, an hour ago. I was rushing getting changed, then the video started on the TV (I had a music channel on). I just, stopped, and couldn't stop watching. Then as soon as the song finished I thought "AH, THE TIME" and had to rush again. I don't actually like any other Katie Melua songs, but this one, I don't know, it's just perfect.

NOW YOU.

2. Nessy

Nessy Kenkyuusei

I'm pretty sure that One Beat, by Sleater-Kinney, is definitely my top favorite song. The first time I heard it was about three years ago...my then-best friend was over and we were listening to something else by the same group...and then she turned on One Beat and I was instantly captivated. I don't know what it is, exactly, but the song really pulls at my heart...especially the guitar line, the part that goes "should I come outside and run your cars/should I run your rockets to the stars/could you invent a world for me/I need to hear a symphony", the sound right before those words, and the way her voice breaks at the end. I asked my friend the name (she was pretty offhand about it--she likes the song well enough, but not as much as I do) and the moment she left I turned it on again on repeat. I've never gotten sick of it. It's perfect. The music, the vocals, the structure...the lyrics...the arc of both the music and the words...I can't get enough of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol6OXGXDwWc (not an official video, but it's kinda cool...anyway, all of the other versions up on youtube are live and it's hard to hear the song really clearly.)

3. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Morning Musume - Mr. Moonlight ~Ai no Big Band~

Erm. I have no idea. Probably after I saw the video for it, which was around June of last year. I didn't like the song until I saw the video, actually.

... No. I just like the song a lot. :D

I also really like Ayumi Hamasaki's HEAVEN and BoA's Atlantis Princess, but I just put down one song.

4. haruna_hamasaki

haruna_hamasaki Senbatsu Staff Member Studio48 Admin

Yamashita Tomohisa - Daite Senorita (no offense even though I'm Ayu's big fan)

Since the first time I listen to a radio rip of it last year. I keep repeating it until now.
    This song also has been in playlist for all my mp3 players. I never remove it.
    Actually, to be honest, after I get the full version, I listen to it EVERYDAY for almost a year.

Because I always think that "Senorita" is me! <3
    To make it more special, I have 3 CDs of normal version and 2 CDs of limited version.

Listen and watch

5. Ange

Ange Member

The Stage48 Institute for Akimoto Sayaka Worship
    I've been thinking about this since I saw the thread. It was a difficult decision! I have several songs which I define as "favorite".

However, I made up my mind.

My favorite song is FORBIDDEN LOVER by L'Arc en Ciel.

It's been my favorite since the very first time I listened to it, far in 2002. It's far for me, coz I met Japanese music in that year.

The meaning of this song is absolute. It goes along the music and lyrics. At first it caught me because of the music. So distressing, still powerful, almost agonizing. You can feel the pain of the lyrics in Hyde's voice, Ken's guitar, Tetsu's bass and Yuki's march-like drums. And all of that surrounded by a soft and yet strong orchestra.

The lyrics are as sad as the tune. The title explains it all. Forbidden lover. How a love which isn't allowed can destroy us so much, how painful it can be. A forbidden love is like an empty dream, it'll never end up well. A forbidden love means sins you will be wanting to forget soon.

My favorite part of the lyric is:

forbidden lover...a faint memory
    even if I hold them tightly, the colors don't
    come together.
    I discreetly swear
    the end of sweet love is unanticipated mischief

A love like that even when it was deep, it was finally wrong. Even when you love those memories, they'll have to leave you, no matter what. So, even when u hold them tightly, they end up vanishing. Coz it must be. If they don't go, u'll be suffering forever.

And then, the song explains the anger you feel, why did it have to be forbidden? U rebel against God or whichever you blame for this, you're scared but you want throw your rage.

At the end, hope raises saying that maybe, some day, the path of both lovers would be the same again, in a new country.

Love, sadness, rage and hope. So natural.

So that's it. This song touches me deep inside! Coz I'm finding (or looking for) the most difficult paths, the not allowed love.

Link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kQgBwSAFqg

P.S: This looks like an essay. XD

6. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    First Love by Utada Hikaru

It's a song I can listen to over and over again, and I'm always reassured I'll never tire of it. I loved it the moment I heard it many years ago, when I first got into Hikki. The lyrics are just...beautiful, and I'll admit, at certain times the song can get me very emotional.

7. kyu

kyu Kenkyuusei

If I Fell by The Beatles

It's been my favorite since the 2nd grade of my junior high school time :lol: , and it's oh so special to me because it was the song that i dedicate to my 1st love, and she liked that song too.

Well the lyric is so simple, just asking the ones we love that when we fall in love to them, they have to be true to us about their feeling too, and help us understand their feelings, cause that's the way we should build the relationship between two people (lovers).

"If i fell in love with you, would you promise to be true
    and help me understand
    Cause i've been in love before and i found that love was more
    than just holding hands...

8. CDevil

CDevil Member

Flower by L'arc en ciel

It's been my favourite song since late last year when I downloaded it on Limewire. At the time I didn't even know it was called Flower, because it was called 'L'arc en ciel Chobits' or something like that. I know it had 'Chobits' in it, because that's one reason why I watched Chobits, only to be disappointed that the song wasn't in it :x

It doesn't have a lot of special meaning, but I do want it played at my funeral...if that counts as a special meaning :lol: :confused: I just love L'arc en ciel, and I love their music. I honestly don't care about the lyrics, they could be singing about committing mass murder and I'd still love it (partly because I don't understand what they're singing anyway, although I have read the translations). Even though I'm a big L'arc fan, a lot of their incredible songs can get tiresome after a while, such as Winter fall (which I can only listen to occasionally now after listening to it way too much) and Honey. That's one reason why Flower sticks out, because I've yet to get bored of it.

EDIT: HERE's the PV, where Hyde looks like a queer enraged drunken stick who's about to piss their panties.

9. MilkGreen

MilkGreen Kenkyuusei

Morning Musume - Ai Araba It's alright!
    This is my most favourite song from Morning Musume. The music and lyric is so good.
    As long as there's love, it's alright! And I know that's right! :lol:

I always love the music, and I like it since I see the PV, actually.

10. tempethegreat

tempethegreat Kenkyuusei

- the Midori no Hibi theme song - "Mou Sukoshi"

- if im not mistake,since 2006 until now...

- this song remind me to the anime MIDORI NO HIBI....i really like this anime....<3

11. pikopikopong

pikopikopong Kenkyuusei

Re: Your ulstimate all-time favourite song?

- The Gospellers - Hitori

- Since April 2007

- I took Japanese class that semester with this one girl who looks like aachan with glasses. Near the end of semester, whenever i look at her this song filled my head. Unfortunately, no relationship were tied since i never talked to her XD. Now, whenever i saw her, i remember this song or whenever i listen to this song, i remembered her.

- And the falsetto part was nice too...

A link to it would be amazing.
    - http://youtube.com/watch?v=ThaBFTvLTqo

12. Chivor

Chivor Kenkyuusei

BUMP OF CHICKEN - Namida no Furusato

Sometime in December 2006

I just love it. Somehow it just got a stay-all-you-want pass in my head and it never left ever since.

13. CDevil

CDevil Member

Re: Your ulstimate all-time favourite song?

That reminds me of one of those corny romantic comedy dramas where a guy looks at a girl and music suddenly starts playing in the background and she starts moving in slow motion and a pink flowery border surrounds the screen :lol:

...and now I can't stop laughing because I've got that song in the background and the scene in my imagination is hilarious.

14. gideon123

gideon123 Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

^ You're such a jerk! (And now I'm laughing, too, because I have that image stuck in my head - so I guess that makes me just as bad of a jerk.)

But yeah, my favorite song - "Friday I'm in Love" by The Cure
    And as for how long it's been my favorite song - sometime before high school.

It just has a happy-go-lucky sound with nonsensical lyrics about - well, love. The music video's pretty quirky, too. As a matter of fact, every Friday I always play this song at least once whether it be the original version, acoustic version, or Strangelove Mix.

I have several other songs dear to me, but this one comes to mind first.

15. Kang

Kang Kenkyuusei

- Morning Musume's "Shabondama"

- 2004-ish?

- You know how characters from an anime would have an image song? Well, "Shabondama" is sort of like my image song, and anyone who knows me well enough would agree that it suits me really well. It was also through this song that Tanaka Reina became one of my favorite girls. Imagine, her debut single with MM & suddenly thrust into the center role! :D

16. Tales

Tales Kenkyuusei

Starry Heaven - Day After Tomorrow

Release date I think. Can't recall when the mp3 was released.

I absolutely loved this song since the mp3 was released because I love DAT, and after a couple of months, I learnt that it was Tales of Symphonia's GCN OP, so you can say something like that.

17. Copyninja

Copyninja Member

Amg that song ROX :D

My fav is : http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cYo4XvAyK9k [no idea how to make the "here" link like Kyo :) )

Then again I have many eternal favourites ^_^

18. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

tough one...
    but i'd say just at the moment..

80's song, "Nowhere Girl" by B-movie.

19. Aigon

Aigon Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    TheJOMarra
    Nothing Else Matters - Metallica

2002-2003, somewhere in that time frame

I happen to have quite a few all-time favorite songs, but if I had to choose one to be my fav out of those, it would have to be this song. It is in my opinion an incredibly beautiful song. Its a lot different from Metallica's other songs, and the lyrics and pace of the songs really make it one of their standout songs.

20. davey14

davey14 Kenkyuusei

nightrain by guns n roses...i don't know but this song really pumps me up...been my favorite since i was like 11...and after almost 14 years it's still on top of my list...never got tired of it... :D