Stage48 Feedback & Suggestions VI

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Mr Waffle, Apr 2, 2014.

1. KPKgirl

KPKgirl Member

Oshimen:
    Sumire Sato
    I'm going to agree with this. The cost is probably going to be substantial. My suggestion is that multiple people contribute- if for no other reason, it prevents this from happening again. Multiple owners = more admins and less of a chance that the site will be left floundering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. brunoiaz

brunoiaz Kenkyuusei

@rka @KPKgirl I just made a small post about it. We can discuss all the possibilities on the Wiki48 thread. And if anyone is willing to help (or has another option, different opinion etc.), please leave a post there! (Or send me a PM or whatever haha)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  3. ithebigc

ithebigc Stage48 Admin Retired Staff

Twitter:
    ithebigc
    Unless you see a substantial post from @Smilodon or me, assume that the admins are still MIA :( Moving threads has always been something the moderators have been able to do. It's the creating new subforums that we have no control over, and the part that frustrates me the most since I really want to get the NGT48 forum up and running. I used to be able to reach @Mr Waffle in times of need, but not anymore. I've sent him a message every week asking him to check the staff forum, emphasizing that it probably would take him 15 min at most to take some baby steps (seriously, Smilodon and I outlined plans already, he just has to say yes or no so we can move forward one way or another), but that hasn't helped. I once again urge anyone w/ a Twitter account to send him messages asking him to pop into the staff forum, because right now the current staff (er...all two of us) are pretty demoralized that we're being ignored too.

As for the wiki, what exactly is the problem with it? I thought that even w/o Mr Waffle someone was able to add new editors and such, unlike the forum itself. Splintering the fandom even further is not something I'd like to see happen. Wiki48, Studio48 and Translate48 (all the sites linked in forum banner) are all technically not part of Stage48, but they're listed there because Stage48 is the most well-known international resource for the 48 Groups, and the links bring a lot of traffic to the wiki, the song lyrics and to translations. Basically, easy access to information for anyone looking into the 48 Group. Although HoneyRoastedPeanuts isn't here anymore, if there was one thing we strongly agreed on it was that there was no need for multiple sites offering the same thing, as international fans are a small enough presence as it is.

4. M4YUYU

M4YUYU Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    mutuotomu
    Twitter:
    tomutomutomuuuu
    The least MrWaffle can do is give either ithebigc and/or Smilodon admin access so we know that there's someone who is trustworthy who we can get hold of to administer the site or to just hold station for now if they're not willing to be admins, which is infinitely better than admins being absent and not caring. I don't know what HRP's and MrWaffle's problem and situation are, but if they did really decide to just abandon the forums without good reason, that's just not cool, yo!

5. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

That was a good move. I wonder if there's a way to ask Dreamhost to 'reset' all the privileges and set new admins if the current ones don't reply to them after a lot of time...I mean, the admins might be gone forever...I guess some kind of protocol must exists for situations like this...
    PS: @ithebigc: I'm sure this is a very uncomfortable situation for you and Smilodon and we'll never be able to thank you enough for showing your face and doing your best to fix this mess.

6. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    As rowdy and decadent this forum maybe its still is the forum I did participate seriously. Most of what I know could be sourced here. A lot of bitter and ecstatic moments could still be gleamed upon when nostalgia gets the better of me. Its pains me to see the advocating of another schism in the English fandom. We have lived through that age and remembers the foregone endeavor when the other fails.

The most active members are usually the champions of change for every generation of members. They have invested time and effort to contribute and are vigorous in their effort to realize their aims and visions. The battle cry for innovation has not change only the members shouting them. Unfortunately, our admin has outlived almost all of them. Sigh.

This is turning long and ridiculous! Can I just beg you all not to split the fandom again. I was active at that time and I always gasped at how modern and interactive Everyday48 was compared to S48 but I stick with this sick forum because I enjoy it here a lot despite the appalling condition and other problems that creeps many times. S48 being a newbie magnet is its most potent weapon and all other forum that sprang up will just die along the interest of its initial members because they lack the ability to attract new members because S48 gobble them up. The enthusiasm of the newbies is what makes this forum lively through all this years. Its like there is a generational turn over among the active members. I am certainly past my generation seeing so few of the members I frequently annoy actively participating.

I remember that I did participate a lot in discussions for changes and did provide suggestions in the past and seeing how cruelly slow change can be implemented in this forum I toned it down and later on forget about it. Its been like that even during the days of my lurking. Its painful to watch but seeing I am powerless against it I just relent and start adding it to my wish list. Ya, you could say I quit but its useless to resist. After all, this is the only forum that is almost guaranteed to stay afloat due to its continuous influx of new members.

I am not demoralizing members advocating for change, I wish for it too, but just don't split the freaking fandom again as we both stand to lose something along the way.

Maybe, we should just extract the admin password by gunpoint.:hehe:

7. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    i'm confused, it's about enhancing the wiki and not raise another everyday48, no? We're not splitting the community.

8. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

The front page says that Mr Waffle is online atm. If you read this thread Mr Waffle, perhaps you could also check your PMs for one from me recently, cheers!

9. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    Quote me for alert, please.

Oops, sorry for the missing explanation, do allow me to give one. I may have gone overly negative but there is a reason. Do notice that the pioneering contributors of wiki48 are the admins of Ebi. Its one of the reasons.... though relatively connected that cause it. Although I did participate in Ebi for sometime I never really get the hang of it but seeing all their effort flush down the drain when they disband its frustrating to see another attempt at this. Thus, its one of my goal to block any and all effort to split even before you suggest it.:evil:

Anyway, @Mr Waffle is here. We need a good explanation.

10. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Hi everyone. I've been gone a long time, and it would be a cop-out to give excuses for it, I'm sorry for all the hassle it has caused. I've always been floating around in the background fixing technical things (eg dealing with the dozens of spam bots trying to break into the site ugh go away) but don't visit the forum itself much. I thought I had implemented tools for everything to run smoothly like adding in ban options for mods, but turns out it wasn't enough. I also actually thought I had given more power to certain members of wiki48 so I'll need to double check what's going on there, which is just a huge mess-up on my part, sorry. If there's any specific members who want to be wiki admins send me a shout and we can organise it, I genuinely do appreciate your efforts and want to see it continue as an awesome resource.

One thing that seems to be a constant issue with people's enjoyment of the site (both for users and moderators trying to clean it up) is the feeling that the forum is too soft; people get chance after chance even if their behaviour is considered toxic by others. We have always been considered "care bear" by other forums and I've had no problem with that, this place being easy going to friendly was always its selling point. Though that is also a weakness, as unfortunately some people have chosen to exploit it over the years, being over-bearing and rude to others and then acting the victim when asked by mods to stop- honestly, one of the worst moments of my life with this forum was after banning a certain user who people begged me to ban for months, I started receiving abuse via social media and bad-mouthed for being this and that. So I know just as well as anyone how awful people can ruin what is otherwise supposed to be a safe place to enjoy yourself and I want to do what I can to deal with it.

I've promoted ithebigc to admin to help get the ball rolling again. The forum is constantly getting bigger and the chronic need for more moderation due to the volume has just gotten worse, so I will work with the mods to find new people who want the job (which in itself can be an unexpected difficulty- with great power comes great responsibility and all that). The mods have compiled a short list so we can go from there. I wanna say thanks to the moderators who have kept working hard despite the problems, and also to aezea for keeping banners and such up to date, the forum constantly looks awesome.

Regarding donations, we have gotten them and I'm very grateful for that, though I covered most of this year since I didn't want to ask for them when it's my fault for the state of things as they are. It doesn't really feel right to ask for money in that sort of situation. We'll need to go over that too.

By the way, I've removed HRP from admin since he doesn't come anymore, he told me he would be around less a while ago but I've honestly got no idea where he went after that. I think something pretty serious happened in his life so I guess I can't say anything other than hope he's ok somewhere out there.

I'm sure this didn't cover everything and I'm sure I'll be reminded of what needs to be addressed, so I'll go back and read and try to do what I can. I guess the first thing on the menu is a home for NGT48!

p.s. if you've set up to receive notifications of posts then please double-check you've got the right email address in your account, you have no idea how many of them bounce back!

• Like Like x 1
  11. M4YUYU

M4YUYU Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    mutuotomu
    Twitter:
    tomutomutomuuuu
    @Mr Waffle thank you for the response, I'm feeling a lot better for the forum now :)

I'm sorry to hear about the abuses you received, I find it's very disheartening how hard for some people to be nice to others.

12. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    Did you just quote spiderman? Ahah.

Anyway, thanks for the answer, to finally have the community being able to move on... it brings some of us at peace.

i'm ready to donate to Stage48 now.

13. aezea

aezea Stage48 Designer

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteama
    Twitter:
    aezea48
    Cool! Hey @Mr Waffle! :)

Also, I just checked the notices banner, and saw it was updated - so I decided to turn it back on again yey!

14. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

^ Good to see that was updated and returned again.

Thank you for answering and coming back waffle. Feeling good about the forum once again. :).

15. drazaar

drazaar Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    nagaomariya
    Good to see you back sir!

16. Reveen

Reveen Under Girls

Hi Mr Waffle, thanks for editing the notices and thanks to Aezea for switching them back on!

It's good to see some progress being made. The board has run remarkably well in the circumstances but the difficulties that mods have had in doing some things that should be minor housekeeping tasks added to a certain air of stagnancy around the place.

17. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Thanks for coming back even if you have been here in the background sometimes.

18. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

I'm glad to see you here again MrWaffle. A post like that was both needed and expected for a long time.
    PS: I'm sorry S48 caused you those nasty problems...yes, with great power comes great responsibility...and, unfortunately, sometimes hate from morons who don't deserve to be admitted anywhere... :hmm:
    PS2: Congrats to the new admin!!

19. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Thank you Mr. Waffle. Nice to see a light at the end of the tunnel.

20. hjr1891

hjr1891 Member

Oshimen:
    IxR
    Saw the Notice Banner is back. Knew something had changed. Came to see what was up. A wild @Mr Waffle was spotted in the Feedback Thread! Welcome back.

New home for NGT posts will be very nice indeed.:)

So..... Is there gonna be a tightening up of the tolerance around here? You addressed the issue, with out really answering yea or nea.You kind of waffled that one, pun fully intended.:D

Oh look, a new admin.:) Congrats @ithebigc!:v:

Looking forward to new mods. And maybe another admin?;)