Hated for liking AKB48

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Tommy Idoc, May 20, 2017.

1. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    A funny story I forgot to add on my original post. Like I said, I generally don't talk about idols on Facebook, except perhaps in passing. However, I have occasionally posted my 2-shots with Wasamin. And more than one of my friends back home actually DO think she is my wife. :rofl:

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. 4EVER48&46

4EVER48&46 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    In the end it doesn't matter what people think of you. You should just live your life the way you want to. People will always try to change whatever you do, say, think etc.(even if they don't realise it). Life is too short to be worrying about what other people think or say about you.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yukitie

Yukitie Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    Twitter:
    katiechan48
    Agree with the above. It absolutely does not matter what they think if you are enjoying the group and the culture.
    In my own experience, I got into Japanese and Korean culture at the same time - literally, the same day - just as I finishing university and my friends have accepted it, and in some cases joined with me in becoming a fan. Where other friends haven't, they know it's a big part of my life now that has actually taken me to Japan twice, so they support it and my love for the culture as well as the group. Birthday and Christmas presents are now mega easy for them as they know exactly what I like :p
    In terms of people I don't know, I do not let it bother me. I keep headphones in when I listen to music to drown everyone else out, but not so they have to hear it - I hate unnecessarily loud music ¬¬ ; I watch the MVs and shows on my phone when I travel and I see people are more curious than judgemental. We all have different tastes in music and films and books, and people, so as I would not judge or look down on them for what they prefer, so to they have no right to do the same to me, and you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kappa

Kappa Kenkyuusei

You can't change others opinion of you but you can control how you feel. Your own happiness is more important than what they think.

5. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    A funny story now from me. I met up with a friend last night who said:

"Is that Japanese group you like called AKB48? I found one of their pop videos online yesterday. 'I want you, I need you, I love you'. What do you see in them? I watched the video a few times and I can't see anything to like about them."

I was trying to keep a straight face but really I wanted to PMSL at the thought of him watching the Hebirote MV a few times and quite probably ogling the Matsuis together in the bathtub. :D:D:D

6. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Now there's a meme for this..........
    My-YE-cover (1).png

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. PlayByEyes

PlayByEyes Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iriyamaanna
    Reading all you guys' encouraging comments made me so proud of this community <3

I'm living in Thailand right now and I remember that 2 years ago (before BNK48 was released) you'll get ambushed for liking these kind of music.
    People automatically discriminate things that society are not ready to open up. Many of you guys were ahead of time for having these kind of passion, and a lot of us have unfairly paid the price.
    We can act like we don't care, but we can't deny that this issue made our life a little difficult during these past years. But however...

WE ARE IN THE BEST ERA WE'VE EVER BEEN IN!

During this past year, I've seen people in my country defending for us even though they're not big hardcore fans.
    It is so much easier now to love what we love openly (this applies to so many examples in many many subjects)

As for my personal experience, I studied in US couple years back and my roommate was Japanese.
    He never spoke about it at first but I saw his AKB48 Tokyo Dome 1830m T-shirt hidden in the closet.
    He never wore it, but saw him listening to Fortune Cookie alllllll the timmeeeeeeeeee.
    The song started to grow on me.

Being a musician, I played at restaurants, bars, and events regularly.
    I started to put songs like Koisuru Fortune Cookie and Labrador Retriever in the song list in the Japanese related event, or when Japanese customers walked into the restaurant.
    I've seen mixed reactions from people. People who were too cool and thought that I was disgusting, and people who just enjoyed the music. It was a mixed bag.

Nowadays ?
    I can play these songs openly in public and people would love it more than anything.

Maybe it's just a matter of places of where I live because BNK48 is so popular in Thailand now, but you get my point.
    People are more open to new things than ever.
    I'm sorry if any of you had to experience some cruel social treatment in the past, but we are doing better and better.

It's ok if you get "Hated for liking AKB48"
    I'll be proudly representing myself by playing AKB48 songs in public ... and so can you

• Like Like x 2
  8. steph

steph Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Nyan Nyan Kamen
    never been hated/bullied for liking akb but it's only because I've never told anyone in my life that I like them, not even my family. I don't know why but I'm just so afraid of what people would think of me if they knew I liked akb, even tho i know they probs don't care. I used to be a massive kpop fan waaaay back when it wasn't as popular as it is now and I also had to hide my love for it. And now that I've grown out of it, it's suddenly a global success and it feels like i've taken a massive slap to the face, but at the same time i'm glad because I have some friends getting into kpop and hopefully my love for it will re-spark again :) One day i'll tell somebody about my love for akb (and jpop in general), but for now I have this forum and I'm so glad I found it coz it makes me so happy to see so many people who have the same interests as me <3

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  9. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    Never been hated, but I do get some disapproval and "why are you into that?" from my family (more from one branch then the other). I have two adult children, and they take different approaches. When I told my family that I was going to be a moderator, one said "not sure you need to be spending even more time on message boards" and the other didn't say anything (accepting but not enthusiastic was my reading).

My grandkids all know because I show them videos (the ones on the accepting side) and they all hear the songs when riding in my car. One in particular (from the accepting side) is a very good singer and dancer and told me when she was 10, "if I spoke Japanese, I could be in that group," and she was probably right.

My two closest friends know, and I get no disapproval from them (and none for my watching Chinese soap operas).

P.S. My friends and the accepting side know I am going to the Anime World Matsuri next month to see Team 8, but I haven't told the disapproving side. I just don't need the hassle (or I am a coward).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. John48

John48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    I've never experienced any hate about AKB48 or jpop in general. My family has a positive opinion and sometimes they tell me that I have good taste because the members actually sing. As for my friends, they are curious because it's something different than they are used to, like "I heard you like japanese music, can you tell me more ?". One of them was so curious that he played Gingham Check during class when I was in college.

11. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Nobody is really hated for liking AKB.

Eyebrows simply go up.

12. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    lol, never thought that someone has the near exact same situation as I am :lol: cheers for you mate.

I bet you are more than happy to hear it :hehe:

well, beside trashposting and debating unimportant stuff while sometimes having serious discussion, we all here like the same thing [hehe]

As for my story, I have experience in liking AKB in 3 different countries. The first instance was when I was in the land of the unicorn. I was a kpop fan back then and losing interest to it. Then suddenly in my Youtube appear a cover dance of KFC by people in London and I find the song is interesting (I assume some of the people in that video are also here :D). After several clicks I found the original KFC MV, and instantly hooked by Mayuyu <3 then AKBingo clips started to appear in my recommendation list, and everything snowballed from there. However, I have no one to talk to about AKB back then. So no one even care about what I am listening to :^^;:

Then I work in the land of where JKT exists and have my first AKB experience when they came to do collaboration concert. That's the first nail in the coffin, I am totally hooked by AKB since then. I have watched Kpop concerts several times, but the fanservice level and the feel is so much different. However, liking 48G there is a double-bladed sword. While JKT have so many fans, those who look at them with skepticism is even bigger. I think that's why they are kind of stagnating. Most of their fans are looked down upon by general public. And in the capital of Twitter, a wrong move in SNS will make you pay dearly. So since then I have 2 accounts, one is exclusive for idols and stuffs. A local forum and SNS group is where I can talk mostly about 48G, even now I haven't met any single one of the members in that group. But having the same hobby just eliminate that barrier. As my job makes me a regular traveler to Japan (who can have JR pass), that makes me going after AKB events in weekend while I am there. As the easiest you can meet are Team 8 members who practically have mostly free events in every Japanese holidays and weekends, and the fact that it is nearly impossible to get AKB theater ticket, so they constantly grow on me since I attend their 1st national HS. That makes me one of the topic (and goods) supplier in the group discussion :^^;:

Now I live in Japan, actually it is quite similar with in JKT. But there are many more people you can talk passionately to about 48G, both overseas and local fans. And of course you will meet new friends in events :D

So, do I get hated? I don't think so. Maybe yes, but I don't really care. What I like is part of my private life.
    If any of you come to Tokyo maybe drop me a message.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Mr. Take It Easy

Mr. Take It Easy Kenkyuusei

I'm a big fan of Hip Hop and I just hide my love for idols lol.
    No one could ever think I'd like underage girls who like being liked by old creepy men.

Except this time a friend of mine saw my youtube history and found my secret. I was so embarrassed I just left the place, and now we just don't talk about it, like it never happened.

• Creative Creative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. theobserver

theobserver Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Juri-Miyawaki Sakura
    I should look you up the next time I drop by Kanto. Tended to have stayed away from Tokyo in my past few visits. Interesting how a few of us have almost similar backgrounds.

----------------

Was actually a K-pop (GG Sone) fan but got depressed and gave away a lot of what I enjoyed in life after a breakup. Then I went to Japan on holiday when Koisuru Fortune Cookie was the craze, thought that was quite cool but didn't take much notice. Went back to Japan for holiday again in 2016 when High Tension was out and everyone was sad about Paruru leaving. Thought I'd go back through AKB's history when I got back home. Watched KFC again, read up Sasshi's story and her book.....and then things went on from there.

I really don't have anyone to talk 48G with unfortunately except online (i.e. here). That kinda saddens me a bit because the human element is hard to replace.
    Just edged over 30 and hold a very serious professional job. So my friends/colleagues who I travel with to Japan get very puzzled seeing my wota-side when I insisted I make a "pilgrimage" to the various theatres of the major cities that we went.

Droves of Australians are going to Japan in recent times and I try to subtly introduce 48G in. The girls are cute and that really helps lolz
    Never gotten any hate (except now...from the K-pop fans because of Produce48). Just some eyebrows and awkward laughter.

At the end of the day who cares. But lets show em an example of what being passionate fans are all about ! :blush:

PS: The instrumental version of "Teacher Teacher" actually sounds really cool. I have used it in my sports training + gym and people have come up asking what track I used. Me just sheepishly smile :awesome:

• Like Like x 4
  15. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    Happened to me while working and one of my boss ask, what is that AKB48 email :fp: We just never talk about it ever again :whistle:

Sure, let me know if you drop by. Not much to see in Kanto tho.

Pretty much the same story, Forever9 (then 8, then now 5 :^^;:) *brofist* I remember exactly that Mr. Mr. is the last single I follow passionately, after that 48G songs started by KFC are the queen. And now we have Teacher Teacher :hehe:

That's what this forum are for, if you frequently watch Youtube, try the Talk48 podcast, the comment section is also an interesting place. *no promo intended here*

lol, done it. Most of my friends in IG even wonder what brought me to Niigata back then (when NGT were just formed) [hehe], many can understand if I also went to Nagoya, Osaka, Fukuoka, but Niigata raised a few eyebrow. Even more when I went to Akita and Tochigi in winter (to watch Team 8 of course) :lol: the comments was like...what the hell is he doing there. They are lucky STU still not a thing back then, if not I might end up riding a cruise on Setouchi sea just to watch a theater show :XD: Not now tho, without JR pass the travelling power was decreased significantly.

Trust me mate, you are not alone.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like Like x 1