The Harry Potter Thread

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by purpleswordthing, Jul 14, 2011.

1. purpleswordthing

purpleswordthing Kenkyuusei

Since we basically turned the post dump into a Harry Potter thread, it's better to make a seperate thread. A place to spazz about HP!

Harry Potter is a series of seven fantasy novels written by the British author J. K. Rowling. The books chronicle the adventures of the adolescent wizard Harry Potter and his best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger, all of whom are students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The main story arc concerns Harry's quest to overcome the evil dark wizard Lord Voldemort, whose aim is to conquer the wizarding world and subjugate non-magical people, and who seeks to destroy all those who stand in his way, especially Harry himself.

aka the best series ever.

2. purpleswordthing

Apparently people are trying to do this on twitter. But I don't have a twitter :^^;:

[​IMG]

3. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Oh, Twitter... I feel like it's a lost cause sometimes...

Is anyone dressing up for the premier? I made a wand a long time ago (for the fourth book's release), and I left it at home. Kind of sad, but I'll live. I think I'll try doing a lightning scar and wear glasses.

4. purpleswordthing

^
    I made a t-shirt (with that iron-on paper). But I think it shrinks when you iron it because it feels way smaller than when I tried it on in the shop :fp: In some cinemas they're giving out 3D glasses shaped like Harry's so if my cinema does that... yay!

5. kurotori

kurotori Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    When we went yesterday, I wore my Slytherin t-shirt, badge, and scarf, and I brough my wand, I bought alot of stuff in Universal Studios earlier [hehe]
    My sister wore her Griffindor robes, and Ravenclaw badge, and a wand.

I only saw two other people that had dressed up, though.
    Boring Norwegians [wonder]

6. Micchipyon

Micchipyon Kenkyuusei

I love Harry Potter movies <3

And I just saw tonight the last movie.
    It was SO AMAZING. <3

And seriously, me and my friend were crying SO MUCH in the end. ;__;
    and in the parts where some people died.. and in many other scenes too. ;__; and the ending of the movie was amazing. ♥

It's so sad that it's over now. ;__; I grew up with Harry Potter movies. I watched them since the first movie. ♥ Loving HP movies forever ♥

7. purpleswordthing

Seeing it in 5 hours :panic: Can't wait~~~~

8. RocketStarLauncher

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Out of habit I clicked the spoiler tag and then had to literally avert my eyes while trying to shut it without reading it.

9. saika.city

saika.city Kenkyuusei

Wha!!! That's super cool!!! <3 And LOLOLOL @ the other "Boring Norwegians". XXDDD
    I still really want to try reading it since all the books are sitting across from me like 2 yards away or so that is in the same room as me in my house, but it's so long!!! IDK. I'll try this time I guess...so seriously. 8D
    --------------------
    Though I'm not a SUPER HUGE, HUGE, SUPER HUGE Harry Potter Fan, I still really want to see the movie! =D It sounds really good, cool, and AMAZING. *O* (I actually want to see it way more than Monte Carlo, but funny fact is that I'm a BIG fan of Selena Gomez way more than Harry Potter. LOL.)

10. RocketStarLauncher

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Just got back!

I was pretty happy with it. Today I re-read basically all of the chapters that would be in the movie, and while they kept on deviating from it, they usually had a good reason. Having read it so recently, I kept getting lost and trying to connect the dots, but it all worked out in the end. They added a lot of drama and comedy, and i think it worked out well. I'm excited to see it again.

The epilogue was cute... albeit I didn't care about the kids and they shouldn't have gotten so much screentime. And Albus Severus (Justin Bieber) is still not a good name and ruins it.

11. Lambdadelta

Lambdadelta Kenkyuusei

Dont forget my Ravenclaw te-shirt and a Ravenclaw scarf!! :XD:

12. kurotori

kurotori Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    ^ Oh, yeah.
    I loved the movie so much, I satrted crying just by the thought of it being the last movie, and all the characters that died :cry: It's propably my favorite HP movie :cute:

We're gonna go see it again in imax in London :^O^:

13. purpleswordthing

I saw it last night.
    [​IMG]

I FEEL SO EMPTY. Thank God there's Pottermore. I don't know what I'll do after 31st July :cry:

I didn't like the part where Snape was asking if they'd seen Harry and then he just walks out of the crowd. Albus Severus, I didn't like how he looked. But the rest of the movie was so good it made up for that :^O^: DUMBLEDORE IS GOD lol. And Snape's memories. Oh my god I CRIED. So so so sad.

Going through my dashboard and tearing up at every HP photo or gif. Which is a lot.

Edit: This post. My exact thoughts. Credit: hollyandthesunshine@tumblr. (Put it in a spoiler because it's long, but every HP fan should read this)
    Once upon a time there was a wonderful story called Harry Potter. The story was not thousands and thousands of hours long, it was not prejudice or demanding, nor boastful or self-righteous. In fact, it was a simple story. It was a tale of an orphaned boy who thought he was alone in the world, and destined to be so forever. He soon discovered that friendship, love and family were waiting for him at an odd little place called Hogwarts. His friends and his foes fought valiantly through seven years of school, discovering that weaknesses could be overcome and strength could be encouraged through a simple thing called love. Harry Potter thought he was alone in the world, if only he knew that millions of people, like myself, saw him as so much more than a character, but as a friend.

Tonight, I, like so many before me and so many yet to see, watched the final instalment of the Harry Potter film series. Like all of those prior, it was a rare piece of magic that was more than a joy to watch. However, throughout the entire film, I could not help but feel a terrible pain in my chest. This was goodbye. While I agree that the story itself will never truly die, there is still that awful feeling knowing that while the story will live on in our hearts, the faces we know, the people we love now have to leave us.

I feel as though I have lost my very best friend. Those whom I have grown with, laughed with, cried with and loved with as though I was a part of the books and films myself. No words can accurately describe the love I feel for these characters and this story, and I am positive that nothing will be the same again.

However, another thing I know for sure is that Harry Potter leaves behind it today a better person than it found those many years before. I’d like to think that through the wise words of J.K Rowling, the brilliant direction of all of the directors (from Columbus to Yates) and the beyond magical performances of all the actors, I have become a far better person than I could have ever hoped had I never found this story.

We always thank the brilliant Joanne Rowling for the stories she wrote. She brought us all together, and created the greatest story I will ever read, and the greatest characters I will ever know. She created a world entirely of its own where magic is not just in the minds of children, but in the hearts of adults and kids alike. She defied age, and genre, and conventions, to create something that was unlike any of its predecessors. She is a true genius, and constant hero for all of us.

But those we regularly forget to acknowledge are the brilliant minds behind the film series. These people took something that could only be seen in our minds through the magical words of J.K Rowling, and made it into a physical and visual reality where we could watch all of our dreams come a reality. The special effects team that made magic possible, the production and art designers who created the world we wanted to see, the editors who pieced together pieces of a puzzle to create a masterpiece, and the directors who orchestrated the most brilliant and visually mind-blowing piece of cinematic art that I will ever know.

And to the actors who sacrificed their “muggle” childhood to become wizards for real, I thank you with all of my heart. For me, the books and movies go hand in hand. That which isn’t shown in the books I assume happened just off camera, and that which is in the movies, occurred between the lines. Therefore, for me, when I read the books today, I see Dan, Rupert, Emma and all the rests’ faces as their respective characters. Dan, you could not have been a better Harry if you tried, and no one will ever be nearly as wonderful as you. Rupert, I could not thank you enough for being such a skilled and brilliant actor, allowing all of Ron to come out in your performance. And to Emma, I literally could not say enough words to explain how much I am forever in your debt. You brought to life my favourite character of all time, and no one but you could have done it with such grace, style, kindness and brilliance. No one could have cast a more perfect cast, they will always be the true wizards. I do not think it is possible to be more grateful to a person than I am to J.K Rowling, the entire crew and production team and the amazing actors.

But most of all, I’d like to thank the characters themselves, for teaching me the greatest lessons I’ve learnt so far in my 18 years of life. To Harry Potter, who taught me that luck pays no part in succeeding, but courage, loyalty and kindness will always win over evil. To Hermione Granger, my hero and inspiration, for teaching me that intelligence is a trait to be embraced and that wants of myself do not out way the needs of many. To Ronald Weasley, who showed me what fierce friendship and love truly looked like. To Neville Longbottom, who showed me that bravery sometimes may take its’ time in coming to us, but when it does, it can change the world. To Ginny Weasley, for being brave enough to fight not only for love, but for family and friendship. To Hagrid, for showing me that that which is odd to the eye, can be kind to the heart. To Luna Lovegood, for making quirks and unusual traits something to be embraced rather than feared. To Fred & George Weasley, for teaching me how to laugh, even at the saddest of times. Draco Malfoy for showing me that family will always be worth fighting for. To Albus Dumbledore, for never overlooking the good in all hearts. To Minerva McGonagall for standing up to evil for the sake of her students. And, to Severus Snape, for teaching me that love, even that which is unreturned, is the most powerful magic of all.

I will forever miss you, Harry Potter, but your story will forever beat in time with my heart.

14. purpleswordthing

lol I just remembered the
    Malfoy x Voldemort hug. What was that. The whole cinema laughed at that. There were actually a lot of funny moments that weren't meant to be funny. And Fred. HE NEEDED A PROPER SEND-OFF. And Tonks and Remus ;__________________;

15. RocketStarLauncher

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Yeah, they really didn't need to cut so much out. It felt like it was a fairly short movie, at least from what I was expecting.

16. kirakirahanabi

kirakirahanabi Kenkyuusei

Yeah, by the end of the battle of hogwarts, our entire theater was a crying, blubbering mess. BUT IT WAS SO WONDERFUL.

Also, I'm sure you guys have heard about the bit of animosity between twilight/HP fans...well, the breaking dawn trailer came on before our movie. When Taylor Lautner came on screen, no one yelled for jacob, everyone was yelling for Taylor. When R.Patt came on, everyone went absolutely wild cheering for Cedric. Kristin Stewart comes on...and the only noise in the theater is "STOP SQUINTING AND GET SOME REAL ACTING LESSONS!" followed by applause. >:D

But yeah, on to the movie...
    So, right from the beginning we were all starting to cry. My friend's dad next to us laughed at Dobby's grave. She smacked him. Then the whole hogwarts under snape scene, with how distraught McGonnagall looked, started to make me tear up. All the deaths after the first battle at Hogwarts we were going crazy...and by the forest scene I completely lost it. Then came the whole cheering section, for "Not my daughter, you bitch!" and Neville killing the snake, etc...SO BEAUTIFUL ;A; Then more crying by everyone, and...yeah. Mischief managed. :D

17. kirakirahanabi

kirakirahanabi Kenkyuusei

Yeah, by the end of the battle of hogwarts, our entire theater was a crying, blubbering mess. BUT IT WAS SO WONDERFUL.

Also, I'm sure you guys have heard about the bit of animosity between twilight/HP fans...well, the breaking dawn trailer came on before our movie. When Taylor Lautner came on screen, no one yelled for jacob, everyone was yelling for Taylor. When R.Patt came on, everyone went absolutely wild cheering for Cedric. Kristin Stewart comes on...and the only noise in the theater is "STOP SQUINTING AND GET SOME REAL ACTING LESSONS!" followed by applause. >:D

But yeah, on to the movie...
    So, right from the beginning we were all starting to cry. My friend's dad next to us laughed at Dobby's grave. She smacked him. Then the whole hogwarts under snape scene, with how distraught McGonnagall looked, started to make me tear up. All the deaths after the first battle at Hogwarts we were going crazy...and by the forest scene I completely lost it. Then came the whole cheering section, for "Not my daughter, you bitch!" and Neville killing the snake, etc...SO BEAUTIFUL ;A; Then more crying by everyone, and...yeah. Mischief managed. :D

18. Micchipyon

Micchipyon Kenkyuusei

19. saika.city

saika.city Kenkyuusei

^OHMYGOSH. I LOVE SMOSH!!!! <3 Okay to Harry Potter. Those gifs are super funny! :XD: [hehe] :lol: [rofl] :rofl: These are like my 2 Favorites from the gifs: I hope they brought sunscreen and Hermione got sass!. Also, I Whip My.... and Put a mark on it! These are super funny!!!!! 8D The CUPCAKE! one too is so funny. XD

20. Sorceress628

Sorceress628 Kenkyuusei

So I got a question for those of you who saw the movie... I haven't even brought tickets yet
    Does Percy show up in the final battle for Hogwarts?