Members wounded at handshake event

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by HoneyRoastedPeanuts, May 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x_lambs

x_lambs Next Girls Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    worklodz
    I totally empathize with you. Finished college finals last week and was looking forward to some time to sink into the fandom and now this happens. I watched Team K Reset stage (Kobayashi K) from last night but I couldn't stop thinking about the attack. Sailor Zombie doesn't even hold any appeal because I know what the real Kawaei is going through right now. I know I'll get over it but I really feel for the girls right now. Handshake security will have to be more than part-timers after today.

@Starshard I think you are well-intentioned but being overly optimistic. The girls were attacked with a knife it can't get much worse than that. I've been in fights but never felt in fear for my life or had a weapon pointed at me. Annin and Ricchan can decide with their families what is best for them at this point and I will support it.

If handshakes have to be suspended I'd understand. AKB48 has a tough decision to make whether to let an individual remove the privilege that so many want to enjoy.

2. rka

rka Senbatsu Stage48 Donor

So, in the end, we have been all very lucky that this hasnt turned out to be worse than broken finger bones and some cuts. I still really hate the term "emergency surgery" because it is false information and it puts sensationalism to something where it doesnt belong. "Emergency surgery is surgery which must be done promptly to save life, limb, or functional capacity", this is what they say. Hand surgeries are super complicated (i am just a biologist, but afaik there are fantastillions of nerves that needs to be cared for in hand surgery), but only emergency when they have re-attach a chopped finger or sth. It can also take very long.

@infinitehippos
    100% protection is not feasible, but these are valid options i guess:
    - mandatory coat check area in the hall, so that nobody is allowed to come close to members with their bags or jackets on.
    - body and bag checks before you enter the hall (main entrance), just like they do for concerts and soccer matches. This way, the actual waiting time is spent before you line up in the different lanes.
    - extra security (and by that i mean professionals) per tent that is exclusively there for security (not for timing or sth).

The key is to maximize security while minimizing the impact this incident has on the atmosphere of handshakes. Handshakes are the bread-and-butter-events of AKB48.

3. DaimonMichiko

DaimonMichiko Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    I am somehow in muuuch worse position. I have upcoming two-shots at Yokohama. Now I wonder whether the event will still be held or not. High chances it will be cancelled. Booked flights, etc. I still cant get over it.

4. LNK_Tomu

LNK_Tomu Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

5. Starshard

Starshard Kenkyuusei

Was I being overly optimistic? I don't know, it's just that I feel a lot of us are making this incident sounds a lot worse than it was.
    I and my friends was chased by guys with bricks and sticks during high school fights, a friend of mine was knifed by robbers & hospitalized - all of those unfortunate events were eventually gotten over and are nothing more than a bad memory for us now. I know the girls are supposedly tender and more fragile. I'm also sure they will need some time to fully get over it, especially the direct victims (Annin & Ricchan) but some of you are making it sounds like they will be traumatized / scarred for years, or for life - which I don't think it was *that* bad. IMO, being overly pessimistic doesn't help the groups / the girls in the long term. There were slashing / attacking incidents, but do they still weight in people's minds when they come to akihabara or train stations now? Not really, at least not in traumatic sense.

I agree with what Rka said right before my post - we (the fans & the management) should want to minimize the impact this has on the events atmosphere. Be realistic and concerned, but let's not blow this incident up. Being all doom and gloom will only hurt the group in general and the girls in,particulars.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  6. akibapizza

akibapizza Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    akibapizza
  7. pinkfluffballs

pinkfluffballs Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    watanabe mayu
    Twitter:
    belletagy
    Sigh. I'm getting a bit frustrated, had to get my thoughts out:
    Not only did the perpetrator cause harm & trauma to the girls, he caused the suspension/etc of many events.. not to mention the excitement the fans who would've been able to meet their idols for the first time ever had that was crushed.
    I'm just at a loss right now, barely able to concentrate in class and stuff.

Same here. Spent a huge amount on 2shot tickets too. Oh well if they cancel it, what can i do.. Heard the refund process is complicated for foreigners, if they cancelled it i'm not even hopeful of getting my money back. Sigh.

8. AKBree

AKBree Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Eh, I really can't deal with how the western media portrays any AKB48 related matter. This is making news in my country at the moment and, after they mention the actual story, they go onto describe the group as a "part talent show, part pop act" with more than 100 girls striving for popularity under strict rules, such as no boyfriends, in Japan's fickle pop scene... queue Miichan reference. It really makes them look bad.

9. Pikawil

Pikawil Kenkyuusei

First the misogyny-driven Elliot Rodger kinfe-gun massacre in Isla Vista, now this madman's saw attack on specifically female idols a short time later all on this weekend... It's like that Chinese primary school stabbing rampage being followed by Sandy Hook not long after in 2012... Coincidence or history patterns?

10. Mayuyusuki

Mayuyusuki Member

As troubling as this all is, it's understandable why the security wasn't tight. It's Japan, arguably the most civilized country.

However you can never account for crazy, and that's what this guy is.

I'm sure in the future they'll take better counter measures, but there's always going to be a risk when interacting with fans.

I pray this is an isolated incident and nothing like this ever happens again. I pray for Annin's, Ricchan's, and Staff-san's well being.

There are so many crazy incidents these days, it's disturbingly becoming the norm.

11. nad148

nad148 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Muto Tomu
    i'm glad they are now alright and the surgery is successful..
    i was shocked when i first read the news, i mean how can a freakin' saw get passed the security check? well maybe with the numerous amount of fans in the event there's a big chance someone get away from the security check. i guess they should hire more security and rent some metal detector next time in HS event and other event as well.. but wow, even the theater and anta dare got cancelled? :blink: i never thought management would cancel so many event because of this accident..

12. Crossheart

Crossheart Member

Oshimen:
    Amaki Sally
    Twitter:
    rom_ch22
    Well, at least the management announce that it will changes, i still don't believe that there was no bag/clothes checking point...

As for the mental scars, there will be, but it will a matter of how "strong" the girls are, yes, i know that is hard, i have been in a situation in some random jerk put a gun into my face, so i already know that the life will not be the same... but the life must continue, so i hope that all the member to stay strong in this hours...

In other matter, this video was in one of the international news sites:

if the video does not show watch the video here

WHAT?

13. Tensai

Tensai Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uchiyamanatsuki
    Twitter:
    Tensai
    Wanted to hold off posting here, until I had time to absorb and reflect on the news.

It’s terrible that something like this happened, and it’s going to change the way of lot of people think about the group, the fans, and the events. I hope for a speedy recovery for Annin, Ricchan, and the staff member involved.

One thing that really saddens me, is that of all places, this happened in a region where the members and group have done so much to help out those affected by the quake/tsunami.

Considering the number of years they’ve been doing these events, I’m not going to pass judgement on security. It’s been sufficient up until now, and in Japan people lug bags and suitcases around everywhere. Having everyone leave bags and jackets before going through the line would overly complicate things. From the management reports, it sounds like the staff was on him almost immediately and did the best job they could given the situation.

Obviously they are going to make changes. They have already announced that they have strengthened security at the theaters, and there are changes to the baggage rules. But it sounds like they feel confident

I also have faith in the members. It’s not as if they don’t encounter unstable, abusive, and even physically threatening fans from time to time. While this is a different level, again it sounds like everyone reacted in the best possible manner. If the events continue, I’m certain there will be increased security and more adherence to the rules. At the first few events the fan/member interactions will likely be a bit subdued, but after a few months it will probably return to normal.

As for the events themselves, I know there are several of us who are waiting to hear further news. I trust that management will make the best decision for all involved, and if it means postponing or canceling events there isn’t much we can do about it. But it’s something that’s out of our control, just as if there was an earthquake or other natural disaster that could force a similar postponement/cancelation.

All we can do is hope for the best, and remember that as much of an inconvenience it may be, the member’s well-being is more important than anything else.

14. Under The Ribbon

Under The Ribbon Member

Lol. Nice to get a chuckle among all this negative air today. The epic fans that change into different shirts so their oshimen wouldn't notice them going into different girls' lanes...

15. toddvanzetti

toddvanzetti Kenkyuusei

I changed shirts because my Majisuka shirt was too warm for the weather, but wanted the members to see it when I visited them.

16. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    It's just sad. I guess we should all just be glad that at least, the girls and the staff are ok now.

Changes regarding security will definitely happen.

I hope I do not come of as insensitive, though I can't help but wonder on how they'll include this in next year's documentary.

17. AKBree

AKBree Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    ^I was thinking about that just before actually, wondering if they would try to make $$$ out of this by including it in the documentary...

18. xcrossfacekillahx

xcrossfacekillahx Member

Oshimen:
    hondahitomi
    Twitter:
    crossfacekillah
    ^ Maybe they can do that. I'm just thinking if it would make it on time or it happened too late to make way for changes. It's a nice topic to touch on.

Just shows you how prepared the fans are. I did bring spare shirts the last time I attended a handshake event.

19. DaimonMichiko

DaimonMichiko Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    You know what -I'm experiencing what you experienced too. Somehow this event has motivated me more. To study well, keep healthy, save money. Now my motivation was lost. Yeah my life doesn't central only on Sasshi or Takamina but the eventcreally motivated me and pushes me to extent that I couldnt believe myself (in a veeery positive way). Now, I know this is a bit selfish but I hope they wont postpone or cancel the event. Its unfair if people has been able to take 2shot and meet their oshi beforehand but now we couldnt. We buy same album too. I dont know. I feel so shocked, angry, and irritated

Of course I really hope the best for the girls too.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Kenkyuusei

Man, I thought these were baseless rumors but to hear they're true shocks me. I do hope the girls can recover but mentally, I'm not so sure. Someone attempting to murder you isn't a common a occurrence. Kawaei already doesn't like being noticed in public. Add this event on top and I wouldn't be surprised if fans can't even get near her anymore. This is traumatic.

And of course thanks to this guy, things are probably going to get a lot more difficult for fans in general in terms of security and meeting idols.

I'm just mostly sad because one of the girls that got hurt is my favorite AKB girl. And it sounded like he was trying to kill her specifically. I don't even know what to do! I'm sure her fanclubs in Japan are going to do something nice for her to cheer her up later on.

I'm thankful for the heroic guy who is forever in many people's debts. If anyone was fatally wounded.. this sad conversation would turn into posts of anger and outrage and AKB fandom would probably be turned upsidedown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.