MNL48 (MaNiLa48) rumours discussion

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by YJSN_ParuYuko, Sep 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YJSN_ParuYuko

YJSN_ParuYuko Member

Oshimen:
    Yamauchi Mizuki
    Twitter:
    fanboyjaehyun
  2. mincl17

mincl17 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    I don't think it'll be a good investment for Aki-p. Lol. But if that's true, then MNL48 will be the first group to be able to sing all AKB songs in english with proper pronunciation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Raizy

Raizy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    xujiaqi
    Wait so is it a totally new sister group or a branch of JKT? What language would they sing in, Filipino and English? which makes them similar to JKT in that sense no?

Question about source, are they building a theme park around the theater? does the theater already exist? when are the auditions?

4. ooioo

ooioo Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    yamashitaemiri
    I've quoted this before in the main thread but I think it wouldn't hurt if I'll expand it more here. Sorry if my post is a bit long but since news reports are already aplenty with this information, somewhere in the future, plans are already in the pipeline.

Pros:

- Japanese Wotas will take heed and put their sights on the country, which spells for increased tourism in the country, and could actually be good for the country as well.
    - It can actually be a learning experience for local players who want to start a local idol group without being ballyhooed as copycats. The way I see it, the local underground music scene in the country has a big following and this can be a cognate to the idol scene which has its roots being underground.
    - Some features of the Japanese idol scene will translate well in the country, and let me count the following:
    A. The Senbatsu Sousenkyou has a perfect cognate with the Filipino local mindset. We have what we call "vote buying" in the local elections wherein some big hotshot politicos will buy for your vote just so that they win the elections. Not that AKB48 will foster vote buying but...
    B. The Philippines, being a Roman Catholic country, can make use of the "No Relationships Rule" as a positive trait that the CBCP (Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines, an influential Roman Catholic group) can harp about for the young to emulate. Yeah, laugh at me.
    C. Variety is currently a very big trend here in the country and I admit that being impromptu/ad-libbing is something that will sell here, something I believe AKB48 is very big on.
    D. The idol-you-can-meet trend might actually be a big hit here too. The way it seems to me, it can just be like those Facebook accounts of pages wherein they showcase the "beautiful faces of this-and-that-school" but in a way that people can meet them face to face and monetize from it.
    - This was pointed above but MNL48 can be a good way to interpret the AKB48 songs in English. I don't know how this will translate to AKB48 trying to break into the Western world but they can take cue from MNL48.
    - This can actually be a good way to start for Japanese media to make their creative products to the country aside from the ones they are known about.

Cons:
    - Idol music is simply not "hot" in the country. There were earlier attempts to make local idols, all ending up being futile attempts and being judged as copycats. But with Aki-P and his stamp of approval, and this being a mark of Cool Japan...
    - The "spending base" of the country, especially the young and those who are of the disposable income, is fairly small. I'll have to be honest here: while my generation (I'm nearly 30, grew up in the 90s) had a very wide exposure to Japanese media and even I myself appreciate the media so much to spend on it gregariously, I have other things in mind to spend (stocks, bonds, mutual funds, probably an educational fund.) Also, the possible target demographic of the girls, which are of the same age bracket of theirs can only spend so much.
    - While the fandom is small, it does have its own share of haughtiness and foreign mentality that comes along with it.
    - Local versions of the Idol Goods might end up being mangled local versions of their Japanese counterparts. Well you have to maximize the profits and at the same time keep the costs low...
    - Some features of the Japanese idol scene may not translate well in our country and let me count the ways:
    A. The "relationship ban" is something that will not sit well with the younger generations here. The concept of "kilig" is what sells in the country (kilig, being a feeling that one derives when they see couples showing off their PDAs) and might go against the ethos of AKB48 as a whole.
    B. While handshake events are pretty much what makes AKB48 sells, it's a concept that comes out as very alien to local fandom. I could somehow relate to idols signing off autographs but that will not sit well with Japanese executives who want repeat customers. What might sell though is idol interaction, like let idols be problem solvers, or color drawing books with them. On the other hand though, handshake events can bring something new to the table.
    C. This was already pointed out in the other thread but yeah, JPop is an acquired taste that may not sit well with the tastes of the people here who likes westernized music. But then again, I can't resist cute girls.
    D. The concept of "idols" may not sit well with CBCP as well, being that you must not have worship other gods than Him. Yes, please stone me now.
    E. Girls dancing may not sit well as well with progressive feminist groups.
    - As what I've pointed in the other thread, Japan, in my country, mass media wise, is primarily known for anime and Sentai programs. The media that could otherwise be penetrated by idols, like variety shows or dramas are already overtaken by
    - I might get my head hanged for this but, let me say this- the country simply does not have a stellar, squeaky clean reputation in Japan. While there are certainly some bright spots showing these days, the general concensus is that the country is known for human trafficking and opening this up could reinforce the stereotype.
    NOTE: I'm not sure if this is merely an observation but these days, the half-look in Japan can be a mixed bag. Half-Filipino Japanese are starting to make their presence known in the idol industry, like Sasaki Rikako from H!P, Negishi Ai from Passpo (it's been an open secret, it's just that Aipon hasn't opened it up yet herself,) Kato Rihona, formerly from Tokyo Idol Street, Erika Denya from Babyraids, Misato Misaki from drop., Akimoto Sayaka Et. Al in the AKB48 group, and a whole load of others from local idol groups, and the only reception I could get from 2ch when knowing that someone is half-Filipino is more of surprise and curiosity, rather than open loathing but some habits and stereotypes die hard.

What they could do:
    - I've pointed this out before that I've known Hallo-Hallo as an online shopping portal. They've been here quite a while now and even then, their operations are not as aggressive as other online shopping portals, and even then, opening a real-life counterpart of it can be an uphill climb, but since it's tied up to Cool Japan, the Japanese government might play a part here so the costs might not be a problem...
    - A tie-up with local retailing giant for a share of the profits instead of building a mall here can be better, but if the Japanese government can get lease on the meatier parts of Metro Manila, who can stop them? It all boils down to diplomacy.
    - Related to the one above, they should change the way the mall looks like, it just looks too tacky.
    - I've heard the mall will be built in Paranaque, which is like somewhere that people had to journey on, given the snarling traffic here, and I was wondering, why there? Why not somewhere near? Or probably, really, just ally themsleves with the major retailing giants.
    - Apart from the Japanophiles really, who will be visiting the mall? I am personally a Japanophile but I source my stuff from Japan and being that I collect JPop vinyls as well, I already have a source of that here which I could get cheaply and nearby. Other than that if they're planning a theme park I'm not sure how it'll draw people. Filipinos are drawn to used Japanese electronics and goods.
    - A tie-up with a major media giant here in the country can also boost the name of the group. Have the girls penetrate variety shows, radio shows, product tie-ins, magazines and the like. I won't mind if the auditions and the elections will be televised in big networks. To be honest, audiences will welcome something new.
    - Give them original songs. That's about it.

Some questions:
    - The biggest question is, why Manila? I could understand Bangkok somehow because there is at least a thriving idol scene there (and Berryz Koubou was even a subject of a film there.) Not sure of Hanoi's idol scene but at least Rev. From DVL had already performed there. I could somehow get it if Malaysia and especially Singapore could get it because of the fanbase, but really, why here? As much as they trumpet the economy of the country being a bright spot these days, I have to admit that the country has a long way to go, and to be honest, this is pretty much uncharted territory.

I'm not really sure how this will pan out in the country and if this will ever materialize. There was even a talk of a local version of Tsugi no Ashiato being released here by a local record label but then, nothing came out of it and if it ever did, I've never heard of it. Even that alone proves that opening up MNL48 is certainly going to be challenging.
    But I do hope that Aki-P and his team had done their homework very well. Seriously.

5. Ender Wiggin

Ender Wiggin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc
    @ooioo Now that's actually a well thought-out breakdown of the pros/cons and possibilities of having a MNL48. Great post!

Since the post is pretty thorough, there's really nothing more to add except that I think the girls dancing part isn't really a con. I believe it's actually more of a pro, considering the Pinoy penchant for catchy dances (horrid memories of Otso-otso and Spaghetti are coming to mind right now). I doubt that the feminist groups would even bother themselves with this, and if they did, they probably wouldn't have enough clout to make a difference anyway (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If MNL48 does actually push through, I'm pretty sure they will be trying their best to come up with some viral dance moves ala KFC. That's one surefire way to win over the Philippine masses. Bonus points if the girls are cute, funny, and can actually sing. They'll be running for office in no time. [hehe]

Anyway, we'll see what happens when Team 8 visits Trinoma. That will more or less serve as the gauge of things to come.

6. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    Manila doesn't strike to me as a place with a strong enough idol scene to make it work. IDK, I'm still wondering how the concept managed to work that well in both China and Indonesia.

The other thing I'm wondering about is, with NGT so fresh in everyone's consciousness, isn't a new international sister group too much right now?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  7. Pheebs

Pheebs Upcoming Girls

Yes, as an investment I wouldn't have chosen it if I was Aki-P. The idea sure sounds interesting to me, I would be happy to
    see what the project would turn out to be like even though I highly doubt this is true.

Exactly what I am thinking.

8. HogwartsHokage

HogwartsHokage Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    odanana
    Well, HKT and JKT were formed within the same year and both seemed to be doing well, so I don't think a new international group would detract that much attention from NGT.

But I am curious as to how a 48 group will work in the Philippines though. I usually don't hear my Filipino friends make a big fuss about Japanese idols (although some of them are well versed in Japanese culture).

9. hikariayaka

hikariayaka Kenkyuusei

Having MNL48 would be really tough. Kpop is more popular than JPOP there. Plus, Most Filipino teenagers are not interested in a boy group/girl group though there are still few people who likes it.

10. Selinie

Selinie Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    xujiaqi
    But we also thought that the groups won't work in China and Indonesia. The more the better is a concept that works pretty well with the 48group. I support this if it ever happens, although I would like Beijing48 and Guangzhou48 to come first.

11. Raizy

Raizy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    xujiaqi
    I wo
    uldnt think it would of worked either, as I believe China to be too propagandic and such, but I feel I underestimated the amount of people in China, and the amount of variety with the types of people.

12. ooioo

ooioo Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    yamashitaemiri
    To be honest, if there's anything that's vaguely same about NGT48 and this supposed MNL48, it's that these are very unusual places, being Niigata a highly unlikely place for idols the same as Manila.

But whatever happens, good luck, god speed, and better do it soon with the right timing, the right local connections and the right pricing.

13. soul.assassin

soul.assassin Member

Some of my thoughts about the project:
    http://sunog-baga.tumblr.com/post/130174361399/from-a-historical-standpoint-akb48-was-developed

Personally, the project gives me mixed signals: while the would-be MNL48 may change the entertainment industry just as JKT48 did to Indonesia and I love the idea of an upstart, the last thing I need is management washing down the franchise to excess that it loses its original purpose and identity in favor of least-common-denominator novelty, in a very fickle market where cultural trends come and go.

Nevertheless, if it goes as planned, it's necessary for existing fans to become watchdogs and the working "conscience" -- we insist on implementing policies and methods that would ensure MNL48 isn't a short-term novelty pop music group but a legitimate agent of change in the rather stale Philippine entertainment industry.

14. too much idea

too much idea Next Girls

Twitter:
    toomuchidea
    TBH i really guess that MNL will have the same success like the other overseas sister group.

At first everyone thought that they are AKB's copycat, but after finding out the truth people accepted them. People who, at first, did not like 48 started to be interested with the "Official AKB48 sister group", "The sister of Japan's biggest idol group", and how the girls always performed in a large number or look at how cute the girl is. Now they are successful and well known in Indonesia though most of the public sees anyone who is a fan of JKT as some kind of a weirdo/maniac and joked a lot about "Oi! Oi! Oi!"
    Love ban is practically ignored in JKT. A lot of members graduated or fired because of love scandal, and just like AKB popular members are forgiven and the problem are swept under the rug (Jcvan's apologized, but Melody and Frieska's scandal are being ignored by the Management)

15. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    I really like what you are saying here. The 48G fans that are already there would need to move and assist in the diffusion of the group so people can become more accepting of a rather new way of doing entertainment. The concept would also need to be "tropicalized" a little to fit local tastes, so to speak, somewhat like what JKT48 has done. Sure they are pure idols, but they have a local taste of their own and that's what makes them so special.

16. Shinga Kurukato

Shinga Kurukato Future Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    ALiMiRe (عليمير عبد الرحمن)
    Don't forget Itaktak Mo :hehe:
    ---
    Anyway, my thoughts for the upcoming MNL48 are already mentioned above :^^;:

But, srsly, the music industry here is a bit down or even downer or worse...because most of the people here in the Phil is more likely to download pirated songs from the net (which is I'm also one of 'em :lol:) rather than buy an album...
    But, I guess, with the Sousenkyo of the group, that might change the history of the music industry here in the country...

Either way, I would still be hoping to see MNL48, and I would love to see some of my female friends (which I introduced them JKT48 rather than AKB48) try the auditions for MNL48...
    But, I hoped for Quezon48 - QZN48 more to have Team Q, Team Z, and Team NIV, but Team L is still good since the Filipino group got the first letter-team...:lol:

And is it really true that the theater will open up in 2017 :confused:

17. Raizy

Raizy Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    xujiaqi
    Quezon?

18. Shinga Kurukato

Shinga Kurukato Future Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    ALiMiRe (عليمير عبد الرحمن)
    The largest city in terms of population all over the Philippines, Quezon City

Also, the largest city in terms of land area in Metro Manila...

19. plomeplome

plomeplome Upcoming Girls

Its not the music that sells tho, its the handshakes which automatically force people to buy songle/eps/album. Who cares if they pirate the songs afterwards

20. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    I can't take Quezon seriously because Queso in Spanish means cheese and it sounds too similar XD I'd rather stick to MNL.

Curse you Spanish Colonialists and your unintentionally funny names.
    (Offtopic: "Cabeza de Vaca" or "Cow's Head" is a real surname that people have and I can't stop laughing)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.