Youtube AKB48 videos not available in my country

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by HogwartsHokage, Oct 24, 2015.

1. richard durbano

richard durbano Kenkyuusei

Getting back to the the topic, I don't blame Youtube for charging fees for their content. Not at all. It is run by businessmen and business involves making money. We all hate suddenly losing the favorite videos and subbed variety shows that we've watched for free for years, but the folks who run this company aren't involved in a charity effort. If Youtube was a publicly-traded company, shareholders would have been howling for years to get them to charge for their content. Sometimes you see a company like Apple offering products and services that seem to take advantage of their customer base, but I ALSO OWN APPLE STOCK, and, therefore I want them to make money for me and if that involves charging for services that were, at one time, free, well.... that's the way things are. I would not hesitate a nanosecond to pay for Youtube's content. If that makes me a chump, so be it. I call it being a pragmatist and existing in the 21st century. My humble opinion.

2. Kuchi-Chan

Kuchi-Chan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Takahashi Minami
    Twitter:
    KokorinDesu
    All of my AKB48 covers are now banned outside of Japan ;-;
    Which means my channel is pointless now

3. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

Youtube is a publicly-traded company, Ok Google. :awesome:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  4. Rurouni

Rurouni Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Are you sure it's banned outside of Japan or banned in US only? Because I can still see a lot of AKB stuff whether it's official or not and of course I'm not in US.

Sent from my LG-E988 using Tapatalk

5. HogwartsHokage

HogwartsHokage Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    odanana
    ^ I think she did mean her videos are only banned in the countries with YouTube Red so far. It's easy for all of us who are affected to assume everyone's going through the same issues too. XD

YouTube Red is still confusing me. I have no idea how to make the video play in the background on my phone, and I'm not seeing an option for downloading the videos to use offline. *keeps clicking around* :hmm:

Edit: Hm, maybe I was supposed to update the app...

6. Ashitaba

Ashitaba Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Minegishi Minami
    VPN is the answer to EVERYTHING. I use it to watch the Nogi channel sometimes since Nogi has been region blocked for ages. I only noticed when I left Japan. For the audience it's easy, but I'm thinking content creators have it infinitely harder.

7. Rurouni

I read somewhere that some video in AKB48 channel start to come back. Can anyone confirm that?

edit: I just tried to connect to YouTube using VPN and USA as the country and I can watch AKB stuff. I don't know if I'm missing stuff since I haven't cross checked it. Also I'm checking it from my phone and not desktop.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  8. richard durbano

For what it's worth, I just activated youtube red and i'm loving it. I watch A LOT of youtube videos during the course of a day and absolute adore getting ''no ads'' prior to the start of every video. it will be $10 a month (following the first free month). more than worth every penny. my humble opinion.

9. Samara Morgane

Samara Morgane Member

Oshimen:
    umemotoizumi
    You know if you have google chrome (maybe firefox too) you could had a plug in for free that blocks the ads!I've been using it for while!

10. richard durbano

Well, I'm hoping that down the road, (obviously not today) youtube red will serve as a means of receiving all those videos that are presently ''not available in my country''. Like you, my daughter also told me that i'm wasting my time and money but we'll see what the future holds. Anyway, my monthly expenses total about $5,000, so another $10 is just another drop in my very expensive bucket.

11. HogwartsHokage

Oshimen:
    odanana
    Ahahah, a lot of video websites have been finding ways to go around those extensions (one of them even doesn't play the video at all unless you let it run ads!), so just downloading an ad-blocking extension for your browser is no longer consistently effective at this point. The way the future of those extensions is going right now, it looks like you'll have to watch ads to watch videos on your favorite website while you can block ads for other websites. And I don't blame them either, they do need to make money after all.

@richard durbano As much as I like the benefits of having YouTube Red (it's nice going on Facebook on my phone while listening to Adele's Hello and downloading the music video so that I can watch it offline later), I don't think I'll pay for it. I don't really mind having ads while listening to music or watching YouTube videos; I only don't like watching commercials while watching TV shows. Paying $8 a month for Netflix is good enough for me.

12. richard durbano

That's a good way to look at things. Some folks get really irritated about having to pay for things that they have always gotten for free, but not me. It's just the way it is. Youtube is a product/service that I truly enjoy. If it costs a few bucks a month to make it even more enjoyable, so be it. Whatever makes each of us happy should be fine with everybody else. If people think I'm stupid or I'm a moron, for giving Google money for something, that's fine with me.

13. HogwartsHokage

Oshimen:
    odanana
    ^ Lol, I've given Google more than enough money for all of the products and services that I use from them, so they won't miss out too much if I don't pay them for YouTube Red. ;)

14. richard durbano

Yeah, the company has a $500 BILLION MARKET CAP, so I guess a LOT of people have handed over a LOT of money to Google over the years!!!!

15. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

Don't care about YT that much to give Google $10 a month to watch PewDiePie 24/7 exclusively.

I rather watch the ads for free. Only the ads. :awesome:

16. Rurouni

The problem with this is that it make those YouTube creator (the one who actually make content and not just re-uploading content) agreeing more with YouTube RED. Yes, ads are annoying, but people need to stop thinking that they can get everything for absolutely free.
    Just read this link http://kotaku.com/youtube-s-biggest-star-pewdiepie-weighs-in-on-youtube-r-1739497566
    Basically around 40% ad income is lost because of adblocker. Yes, Google lost those income, so does the creator.
    Of course the motivation behind RED isn't just to provide YouTube without ads, but also to potentially increase their income (Google and creator). With or without adblocker, Google probably would still make RED. But I don't think it's asking too much for someone who get their content for free to tolerate ads or paying subscription.

Anyway, can someone confirm about the availability of AKB videos in YouTube. As previously said, I already tried using VPN through US server and I can see lots of AKB videos on the official channel. Are they back?

17. TerranceMartin

TerranceMartin Kenkyuusei

Nope they are not back, i just tried and looks like they won't sign with Red.

18. Corinth

Corinth Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    I just tried again and it was the same as yesterday. AKB/HKT/SKE official channels are still blocked, but NMB still works.
    I'm guessing because it's separate management?

19. Rurouni

So they must be identifying me not only from IP but maybe from the cookies or something because when I try to access it using US VPN server while logged out from my account, I can still watch it.

edit: YouTube obviously know that I'm connected at least not from my original country since the video recommendation is totally different vs accessing YouTube from my country. But as I said above, I can still watch the video on AKB48 official channel, which is strange.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  20. kirifuda

kirifuda Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Twitter:
    akaihoshi15
    To be honest, there is more to all of this then just using a proxy. Google is up and telling people that if you don't agree with our new policy we will privatize and block your channel from the rest of the world, or as of right now, just the U.S. Why should they, though, especially when a fraction of these people are small time channel owners, who will even be lucky to get a portion of the revenue from the pool, due to all of the big time YouTube celebrities in the market today that get tons of views by the minute? I don't want to see small channels get knocked off the radar, because they can't compete with the likes of YouTube celebrities like Pewdiepie or Tobuscus. Anyways, if you want to help end this before it goes any farther, please go here and sign this petition. It's really one of the best things we can do right now. https://www.change.org/p/youtube-stop-youtube-red