[GENERAL] The MNL48 Thread

Discussion in 'General MNL48 Discussion' started by ForrestFuller, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Wade & Wander

Wade & Wander Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    izutarina
    It's interesting that you mentioned that. As a foreigner, I definitely felt like some lines really sounded Japanese. How obvious is it to Filipinos? Like if a person who didn't know anything about MNL48 heard it, would they catch it?

Also, how do the lyrics/singing style sound to Filipinos? I'm a BNK fan and I have to say that BNK songs are often quite awkward to Thai listeners! But it's not their fault - AKS forces BNK to match the syllables exactly with the Japanese original, but Japanese people fit SO MUCH into each line it's really unnatural for Thais to speak like that. As such, they often sound like they're rapping most of the time and a casual listener would have difficulty understanding what they're saying if they didn't read the lyrics. Is this the case in the Philippines as well?

As someone who doesn't speak Tagalog, I thought it sounded lovely. Congratulations on the best MNL MV yet!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Asuka Loves Walls

Asuka Loves Walls Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ikutaerika
    Yup, very apparent in MNL48 as well. Anyway, some of the thai and indonesian commenters on youtube confirmed the same, that the Japanese accent and syllabication exists in their respective groups as well. It kinda challenged me too at first but when I listened to it again, I understood. It is really a case of your brain getting used to it.

Anyway, the MV is amazing, cinematography and all. It really showcased the senbatsu's visual prowess.

Also, when I saw Gabb in the audience in thd latter part, my heart ached a bit and got emotional. Good thing she smiled. Oh boy.

3. Wade & Wander

Wade & Wander Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    izutarina
    BNK48 doesn't really have a Japanese accent at all, I think the languages are too different to do that.

But we definitely have the lots of words squished into one line. For example, what might take 10 syllables in Japanese might take 5 in Thai and so they have to add a bunch of filler words in to fill up the 10 syllables, which makes each line sound very verbose and unnatural. I think this is why original singles is really the way to go for each group. That way, each of the foreign groups can really shine. I'm sure the MNL girls will be able to showcase their vocal prowess much better with OPM style music than AKB style songs.

The girls in this MV are beautiful, but for some reason, I preferred the visuals of the girls in the PKM video. I felt the girls in 365 had good styling, but the PKM girls were gorgeous even when the scenes are well-lit. Regardless, these 2 videos have really gotten me interested in MNL!

4. chimew9

chimew9 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kojimaharuna
    For me the Filipino translation is not bad at all. It actually sounds deep and poetic which only adds to the beauty of the lyrics. However, the same point mentioned are also the reason why some find the lyrics unusual. They’re just not used to using deep/uncommon Tagalog words. But I think more people appreciate the lyrics or it’s not a biggie at all.

In general, Tagalog syllables are very similar to Japanese so it’s no surprise that Tagalog sounds quite Japanese especially to foreigners.

What makes it more Japanese in MNL48 is the way they stress/cut the syllables to fit to how the lyrics is sang in Japanese. It can be a bit awkward especially to casual listeners. But it is no biggie for me.

What some fans find disappointing — which is also consistently mocked by bashers, is the Japanese accent. You see, Tagalog already sounds quite Japanese but MNL48 kinda overdo it by imitating the accent. It wasn’t very obvious in the previous songs but it’s very noticeable in 365. Like I can tell they’re making some ‘u’ sound like ‘uu’ (eg. Luha)

i hope they stop coz it’s just awkward.

5. robinrider

robinrider Kenkyuusei

That's the term. Their mother company forces them to make it into a Japanese-accent singing.

As much as we want to make it sound more Filipino, we are binded by that instruction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TintedRhythm

TintedRhythm Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Sometimes I don't even understand what they're saying because of the Japanese accent tbh. The "umaga" and "luha" sound like "oooohmaga" and "looooooohha"which caught me off guard.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    I didn't hear the accent so much before with other songs, that's why I was so confused when people kept pointing it out. It didn't sound that Japanese to me at all.

With 365, I definitely hear it at the beginning. But is it really THAT bad? Yes, it would be better if they didn't try to go with the accent, but I think there are more important things to be worrying about eg. HHE's shitty managing skills :| Hopefully in the future they'll just drop the accent.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Iskobajay

Iskobajay Kenkyuusei

I personally don’t agree that the fans are being too emotional and that they think highly of themselves.it is the fans who will make or break MNL48. And they have every right to feel the way that they do. They are the ones who spend and devote their time. So let me reiterate my opinon, they have every right to think highly of themselves! Yes, HHE is a business and yes, their actions are done to keep the company afloat.But in majority of businesses it takes years to build a brand and to make it profitable. A year is not enough for a business to say that their “product” is a failure. Even AKB took a number of years to take the top spot, but they stuck with their girls and it paid off. And as for other businesses projections are made with a minimum of 3 years to make a profit. And in the case of MNL can you honestly say that they are not gaining popularity? And as you said the fans are VERY ATTACHED to the girls, so that is already an indicator that the girls are capable of attaining success. They question is did they do everything that they can to make the girls popular? Did they even try to promote the underexposed or underated girls to see if they will be more effective? Even if they had an unhepful media partner, in this day and age of social media they could have done other things to promote the girls. Yes, I agree that they should correct and revise their strategies, but it is at the expense of girls who gave their all. Yes it is show business, but even the major networks in the country try different approaches to promote their current pool of artists before they let them go. Also, are they even sure that they girls that they are going to replace the first generation with will succeed?
    I am a businessman and entrepreneur, who has handled a company with over 400
    Employees, the first thing that you should do is to take a look a your own processes and system to see where you have gone wrong and improve on it. And last action is to layoff employees. If you don’t fix your processes/system/strategies, no matter what product you produce will never be successful.

Blaming the girls and the fans for not being successful is the cowardly and prideful thing to do. Its is not the girls and the fans fault if things did not go according to their over optimistic projections. Its is the managements. Its not the girls fault if the management is a failure

They are digging a deeper hole for themselves with what they are doing? Instead of refining and improving what they currently have they chose a path that is more risky.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. Asuka Loves Walls

Oshimen:
    ikutaerika
    Lol. This is exactly what I am saying when fans are being emotional and high and mighty, as if they know everything that is happening INSIDE. Thanks for proving my point, i guess? I'll not rebut everything you said like what you did to mine (it's your opinion as you said and I respect it) , I'll just remind you to think again of what you said, now with open-mindedness and understanding of EVERY party involved. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jurinavenclaw

Jurinavenclaw Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Matsui Jurina
    Fans will react to whatever info is given to them and that is perfectly fine.

The info alone that some of the current members will be forced to graduate after the election is reason enough for fans to "over react".

And again, fans do have the power to make or break the group if most will agree to act as one.

I always go back to the "Save Ori48" movement by fans last year. If fans remained quiet, some of the ori48 girls would have been replaced by the management chosen challengers.

If fans will just chill and just wait and see and let management do their thing would practically just expecting the fandom to spend money without considering what thr fans want.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura

Get your White Collar ass over to me and let's Hostile Take over this bitch!

You can dress like Buffet while I dress like Trump.

(Hugs you as a Business Student)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Asuka Loves Walls

Oshimen:
    ikutaerika
    Haha it seems like I am protecting the management right now. I mentioned before that I do not like what the management is doing as well, you know.

Voicing out opinions is okay, but the toxicity of most fans especially in Social media with the repetitive complaints is what I am referring to with the "emotional" and "thinking highly of themselves". I'm very sure HHE heard you alright. Because of this we all can see that they are correcting themselves. Lot of complaints with the lackluster MVs? They hired an award-winning guy with all the resources they got. It paid off. Now what, they are planning to force girls out of the group because of a cut-off? Not a very good move in face of the fans, but they must have a good reason behind it. Maybe they are forced to do it by AKS, maybe there's a grand plan, idk. In the end, it's still their company and all final say is theirs. I'm just happy they introduced me to my oshis.

They seem to consider fan's complaints with all the constraints they got, and you should imagine that it's one tough job. If it happens that all fans will rally behind not supporting the group then all will fall and it's a lose-lose situation.

All I am saying is be understanding. If we can't forgive HHE for their compromises, then fine, destroy them. I am not going to be too emotional about it, there are a lot more important things to think about in life. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Musica

Musica Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kuranoonarumi
    Nope, as the others said it only appears on "Umaga" and "Luha" and that's it no more such thing on the rest of the song. I actually compared it to JKT48's version and in my own opinion the only thing that is different is the 1st part, and the rest is 90% similar. It's only 90% because I think JKT48 have better mixing. Listening to the song for almost the entire night leads me in discovering the real problem of the song, or all of the songs of MNL48.
    This are:
    • Pronunciation: This is the most common problem of the songs.
    • Nasal Voice: The accent is only present in Umaga & Luha but the entire song was sang in nasal. This is also a problem with the 2nd single that's why there are "ngo-ngo"(help me translate this one) comments. Nasal Voice isn't really bad some singers do it but coupled with bad Mixing it woud be a real problem.
    • Vocal Mixing: Right now I can understand the whole song except the 2nd Stanza of the Chorus, all of the 3. If they sang the 1st & the 2nd Stanza of the chorus the same way and I can only understand the 1st then the problem of the 2nd Stanza is the mixing.
    • Louder Instruments: They are singing in a soft voice so the instrument should have a lower volume.

I'm actually thinking that this "Eviction" thing is just a stint to force as all to throw more money. I think the unpopular member doesn't have those fan who will actually vote for them on an ordinary SSK(Tho I'm not saying that they don't fans). But by using this stint there will be fans that will vote for them for the reason that they are needed to be saved. But this is uneconomical so I think I'm wrong. :^^;:

I'm still hoping for this Kuro-P statement on Anime PH interview. image.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  14. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura

You mean Unethical.

Welp... Time for the Concert to happen. To all who are there have fun

• Like Like x 1
  15. megatram

megatram Kenkyuusei

16. onego123

onego123 Member

Since no one has mentioned this yet, MNL made 2 announcements during the concert.
    1. The 2nd Election will be at ABS-CBN Vertis Tent.
    2. MNL48 will be collaborating with The World Health Organization.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. MLG Faze Rain_Quickscope

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura

WHO really? What's their Advocacy?

18. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    I suggest a measles vaccination campaign.

"More people have died from measles in the Philippines so far this year than in all of 2018, with experts warning about 2.6 million children remain at risk in the country." (and this was one month ago)

"Philippine measles outbreak fed by distrust of vaccines – rooted in vaccination scandal"

Another example of the Philippines in the world news and not in a good way.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. onego123

onego123 Member

No clue. The details will be announced at a later date
    Didn't HKT do some kind of vaccine promotion last year?

20. Are-Kun

Are-Kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    Can i ask more about this though?
    Sorry, out of the loop overseas fan: what is that? This Vertis Tent, or whatever?