Should AKB48 be in the Opening Ceremony of the 2020 Olympics?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Kuchi-Chan, Feb 2, 2015.

1. iamcrazymike

iamcrazymike Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    iamcrazymike
    Well my friend's sister and her friends dress up and cover idol dances at various Anime Conventions and events, but I only really ever see her talk about Morning Musume, Hello Project, Idolmaster, Wake Up Girls, Love Live, etc type idols. I've never seen or heard her mention a 48 group before.

2. kevinMario

kevinMario Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    Twitter:
    crescentsaber
    God, that's it. I'm really sick of people forming opinions based on 5 seconds of first impression.

I've always had a lifelong dream ( fandom life, that is ) to write an article that everyone in the fandom can just refer to whenever the 48G is being vindicated, and that the contents will have every counter-argument to whatever crap the vindicator has to spout.

I might be needing some bright minds that ( I know ) lurks around here in S48, anyone up for helping out?

3. Chimai

Chimai Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamamotosayaka
    This whole thing...

Okay. Let's say that, by some miracle, AKB is still relevant enough in 5 years for this to even be close to being feasible. Akimoto is not an idiot and, even if he was, the other people on the Olympic committee aren't going to let him make every little decision and turn the entire production into an AKB concert. Is that really what people think will happen?! Really?!

If the 48 Groups have anything to do with this it will be a very small part. I highly doubt major international news outlets are going to be nitpicking so much that they just ruin the entire opening ceremony by just talking about AKB. The commentators will probably just say something like "And this is AKB48, a large music group that has been popular in Japan for x amount of years and blah blah blah..."

Also, as I said before, Akimoto isn't an idiot. He wouldn't have them prance around in bikinis or the Skirt, Hirari outfits or something like that. Also, I've never really understood why people think AKB outfits are so skimpy and "risque". Outside of gravure and some sexier stage outfits a la Yuuwaku no Garter, the vast majority of 48Group outfits are pretty unoffensive. Just look at the Kibouteki Refrain outfits! Or the Green Flash outfits! I don't think anyone from, for example, the US would look at them and say, "Wow, what revealing clothes!" It's more than what most celebrities in the US wear. I also don't understand why people think the AKB girls are so young when the senbatsu, the members that the public actually know, are mostly in their 20s. The Top 16 from the last senbatsu election probably have an average age of 21 or something.

So yeah... I really don't think AKB will be a big part of the ceremony (if they are even part of it at all) and, overall, it's a gross exaggeration to call them the "shame of Japan".

I suspect the opening will be more focused on traditional Japanese culture, anyway, for some reason. Or a nice blend of traditional and modern.

4. mochichan

mochichan Kenkyuusei

It's bc people don't think AKB, or idols in general, is talented enough to perform at the Olympic to represent Japan. LBR 95% are mediocre to basics talentless when it come to performance. The 5% that are good still need trainings...isn't that why the excuses "they don't need to be talented bc they're idols" get thrown around by fans <___<? It's more of the lack of trainings than anything since alot of kpop idols are mediocre at audition but companies actually train them for yrs to make them more decent but AKB barely get any trainings bc their selling point is they're suppose to be mediocre but work hard to improve...tho unfortunately they never improve to the level that's good enough pshh.... but if they're still relevant enough to perform at Olympic, people want some amazing OMFG awesome performance Utada, Misia vocal level or with EXILE dance skills not kawaii looking girls flopping around the stage lipsyncing

Saying shame to Japan is too far even with AKB image...like really I can think of alot more problematic social issues in japan....but agree AKB shouldn't be at Olympic if they can't get their sh*t together for a performance that's good enough. Idols are fun and all but not show off materials. It's like the equivalent of Kid Bopz or Disney stars representing US if Olympic was in US

But really in 5 yrs I wonder if the group will even be relevant singing to be at Olympic so there's no point worrying

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  5. technosworld

technosworld Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    furuhatanao
    I like that idea, kind of AKB48 mythbusting...maybe we should start a thread about it and work from there?

6. うぃむ33

うぃむ33 Kenkyuusei

Wow how many people with so little faith saying AKB won't even be relevant in 5 years :fp:
    People have been saying crap like this for the last few years too, but I guess it will never stop. I'm curious as how a group this big will completely fail and not be relevant at all in 5 years. Japan isn't America, and AKB are not Nsync/Backstreet Boys who disappear. Idol music has been extremely popular in Japan for 40+ years, and it isn't going away...

Anyway, what olympic opening/closing ceremonies have you been watching? So One Direction, Pet Shop Boys, Kate Bush, George Michael, Kaiser, Annie Lennox, Russell Brand, Fatboy Slim, Jessie J, Taio Cruz, Spice Girls, Muse, Take That, David Arnold, etc. are giving Beethoven a run for his money, while these "sh*t" idols AKB shouldn't even clean the toilets in the Olympic stadium because they can't perform/sing like Broadway f*king musicians???

Get real.

Opening ceremonies usually have a lot to do with the countries culture and history. Bridging the past with the present and future. Also not as much music.

Closing ceremonies on the other hand are a big party, with lots of music and dancing and fun. I imagine SMAP, ARASHI, AKB/48 group, L'Arc, Amuro Namie, Nishino Kana... and others all joining the party and having a fun time.

Because that is what it is. A big party. Not a night at the opera house.

no shame at all....

(ps. sry for the rant >()

7. flutterbyu

flutterbyu Member

Oshimen:
    Okada Nana
    Well, to be honest, isn't all the grauve, particularly that done by the younger girls, a little disconcerting? I mean, it seems like there is barely a magazine photo shoot without a bikini or something strongly resembling lingerie. Can't they promote their girls in magazines fully clothed more often?

I dunno, I like AKB, but I can really see how from an international perspective, the way they sometimes market their girls can be offputting/creepy. I know this is an endless argument, but now when we're talking about presenting AKB to the WORLD to represent Japan... yeah

8. calvinize

calvinize Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    matsuijurina
    Twitter:
    calvinized
    This. I think the reason why people are bashing akb about their performance in Olympics is because they don't see them as their usual, proper entertainers. AKB are also entertainers, it's just that they don't feature top notch choreography or singing voice or whatnot. They entertain through other means.

And also, as someone else mentioned before, most kpop groups start with untalented people and then they polish them to become proper entertainers. What matters the most in this case is the result. On the other hand, in case of jpop idol groups, the main point of them existing is for the fans to oversee the process of their transformation. When they are "good" enough, they will graduate from akb and move on with their lives. So in a way akb is more like an academy, a stepping stone for them to reach something higher.

9. technosworld

technosworld Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    furuhatanao
    Well honestly, AKB was going well until about 2 years ago when the biggest names started graduating...now there's only 3 girls left from the original group and I don't know how popular the newer girls will be. There aren't as many unique standouts as the first few gens IMO. Adding to that we will have yet another idol group to add to the mix, how difficult will it be for those girls to stand out.

AKB is popular partially because the original girls made big names for themselves in different ways, but more and more its becoming muddled with too many girls that aren't that unique...again all IMHO

10. うぃむ33

うぃむ33 Kenkyuusei

Well they've never been popular in the general public, mainly just with hardcore fans. Since Acchan left, everyone says they're declining. But in 2.5 years, sales haven't declined too much. They're doing a lot more events now to keep the million streak, but I will only be worried if their single sales drop below 500k, and that's a very long way away.

They are relevant though, no other group can touch their sales. They can probably lose over 600k sales and still be relevant, because they have no true rivals.

Plus look at the list of closing ceremonies artists of other Olympics. I'd say AKB have a higher chance of being relevant in 5 yrs than 80% of the artists in London.

11. souchan48

souchan48 Future Girls

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    the most sensible and well balanced comment in the whole thread imho.
    AKB is not embarrassment, but not something you would showcase in a big event. Even if akb play only little part, there are lots of better substitute than akb. The reason why akb is often involved In lots of event is the high number of sales which creates impressions of popularity in Japan. But during olympic, lota of people frOm other the world are watching them too and they wont bother whether the performers are popular or not. Instead, they would bother about quality of the performances. I believe the committee is smart enough to realize this and exclude 48group altogether though. Unless akip is playing politics.

12. vutt

vutt Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc
  13. paruchory

paruchory Kenkyuusei

14. iamcrazymike

iamcrazymike Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    iamcrazymike
    As someone who abandoned K-Pop for J-Pop, I can't say my former comrades took it very well. So in a way I kind of want to agree with the "unfavorable" part. Also K-Pop fans tend to be on the delusional side, so a number of them probably do think that K-Pop is better or more refined. I mean to those I spoke to from that side about my "transition", most of the reactions to the groups I wanted to share with them were mostly met with confusion and disdain. I also remember a while ago when a K-Pop I liked before added 2 members and became 8, most of the fandom joked about "this is too many members, we'll be like AKB48 if this continues". They pretty much openly mock AKB48 when it comes to talks about "the number of members". Basically the point here is there is a segment of K-Pop fans (or actually people in general even) that refuse to take "Japanese style pop" seriously. Again this is from my own personal experiences, so maybe this doesn't apply to everyone but these are my observations.

15. paruchory

paruchory Kenkyuusei

I don't know, from my previuos musical point of view (I usually always listen classic music/rock, brit pop/pop and mainstream, )
    I always saw k-pop idols too much similar to western girls pop band
    japan idols (not only akb48 IMO) style is different, slower? easier to dance? Maybe, but that's not the central point of the show it's different, more musical-like, deliberately childish, a different field of studies. [hehe]
    For me it's more like k-pop in the same category of western pop maybe it's also better in some way (still opinable); j-idols a different style (we have a number of different elements maybe not musical related but central in the show).

16. iamcrazymike

iamcrazymike Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    iamcrazymike
    We have toilet paper idols. :awesome:

17. PooPyon

PooPyon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Yoshihashi Yuzuka
    Twitter:
    akibachans
    LMAO AkiP's lyrics (and Japanese lyrics in general) are far better and more emotionally-invoking than KPop's. Is there a song in KPop about suicide, teenage prostitution, same-sex forbidden love, and a guy literally traveling all the way to Siberia to find his love? Nah, son. Try again.

That's because KPop fans mostly judge their idols in terms of performance level and physical appearance, while AKB48 fans see their idols in terms of personality and how they can evoke emotion to the audience. Being "ugly" and having mediocre dance/singing skills is an exception in KPop, while it's the norm in AKB48. There's lots of contrast between the two (working culture, distance with fans, etc etc) that it's difficult -- downright impossible even -- for KPop fans to not look down on AKB48, if they keep on wearing their KPop lenses.

AKB48 is not the shame of Japan lol; it's just cool and trendy to hate everything mainstream/popular nowadays (UK says the same thing about 1D, the US about Miley, and Korea about KPop).

Then again, I am inclined to agree that it's not right for Aki-P to be playing politics and insert his group in an event where he's part of the committee.

18. paruchory

paruchory Kenkyuusei

.. not right for Aki-P to be playing politics and insert his group in an event where he's part of the committee.
    But otherside all manager in that situation should try put their group in such a large event. Anyway I think more possible we see something like the momoiro clover Z (representin the idols world) in the opening cerimony (and that's ok for me ;))

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  19. kevinMario

kevinMario Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    Twitter:
    crescentsaber
    "Mythbusting AKB48" - that's a really catchy title... Loving it.
    Should we create a thread and start listing the "myths", and then people can reply with counter-arguments and we'll just pick the best ones?

PS: You guys do know that Aki-P outright denied that he has plans to get 48G to perform at the Olympics? Even he knew that no matter how good he is, he can't change the mind of a country.

20. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

I think he denied the whole Japan48 thing? I didn't read it as "AKB isn't performing" lol

But yet again, 5 years. It's a long time.