Single AKB48 44th [Tsubasa wa Iranai] (2016/06/01)

Discussion in 'AKB48 News & Releases' started by sakurazaki, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    You rang?

Honestly I have been debating whether or not I wanted to enter into this conversation at all. And I thought it had run its course. But alas...

I don't want to start labeling people as "right" or "wrong" But consider this...

Meetan's gold bikini stunt was considered a major AKB historical moment, and that was in 2008 after the group's third anniversary. Even the shell bikini she wore later on that year was considered fairly risque for AKB. This was all around the time that Baby Baby Baby came out. Ripping off a costume today to reveal a bikini would hardly be the sensation that it was back then. So to say the early days were about appealing to the "creepy otaku" with bikini content is hardly the truth. In fact a more accurate description would mark that time when the group began gaining popularity with the masses and those original fans started leaving. Speaking of "creepy otaku"....

I always chuckle when this term is brought up. It's almost always by someone who has never met those early fans, much less know what they are/were like. Most of those early fans were some of the nicest, most considerate fans you will ever come across. They were protective of the members, respectful of the boundaries. They didn't need fences, tables, 5 security guards, steel bars on the stage or a million rules back then. The first thing those "creepy otaku" taught me about the idol fandom were the rules of idol etiquette. Their reasons were getting into the group had nothing to do with some sort of bikini culture", because that didn't exist. It had a lot more to do with the bond they were able to create with their favorite members. When people talk about what AKB was founded on, it was about "idols you can meet" and "performing at their own small theater every day" Bikinis were never mentioned, until now I guess.

In fact when AKB started getting popular and the bikinis started being worn more regularly, that was about the time those fans left. They switched to other smaller groups, or they went to SDN48, because those groups were now creating the environment that AKB was losing due to their massive popularity. (i.e. harder to win for the theater / handshake events too crowded) The fact that many of them switched to SDN sorta flies in the face of their stereotype too, doesn't it?

Anyway, I think this conversation has gone on long enough since it has very little to do with Tsubasa wa Iranai. AKB48 experiments with different styles all the time. Some people like one style, others like something else. There was never any rule that Spring was supposed to have "Sakura" singles, Fall would bring us the "Cool" single, etc. etc. If you don't like this song then whatever. The 48-groups churn out singles on a monthly basis. Just wait for the next one. And like other people have said before me, perhaps they didn't use their best material for this release because after all, it was going to sell 1 million+ copies anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Akiyama Atsuko

Akiyama Atsuko Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    okadanana
    Im surprises that mion became center

3. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

I'm surprised you're surprised 2.5 months after it was revealed.

Anyway
    How's it doing saleswise in the second week?

4. Arbios

Arbios Future Girls

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    they sold 5,7k copies yesterday and are still #1

5. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

I know it was #1 today.
    --
    Anyways, 17,003 sold so far in it's second week (as we know of so far since Oricon only puts Top 3 daily). Won't be #1 (like last year's Summer Single) since it looks like V6's new single will be #1. But looking like top 3 maybe (4th at worst).

6. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    SEE!! this is good. I wanted to mention HRP (Honey Roasted ) former Mod because I know he was there. I wanted his 2-cents. But YOU've done perfectly. I was largely going by the Documentary (that I've mentioned several times). I also have a thick background around Otaku types as per my Anime background - I was hearing about AKB48 way back before I got into them.
    I'm impressed. You're saying that AKB's original Wota's are much like David Laio (the guy who made the "KFC" fan video)- He still goes out & see's new indie groups & posts alot on Twitter. Impressive. So who are the Bikini's for them? The perverts that came after the "Nice" people left? I know they're not Perverts. I've read so many stories & seeing so many 2chan translations (on Sankaku & NSK's site & Other Idol sites) I was led to believe they were they "Creepy Otakus" (the Power Wota's) No one had any Data to convince or challenge this perception....till now. I've seen the way Otaku's fill stadiums for the "K-On!" girls (now the "Love Live" & Idolmaster crowd). I figured Idol Otaku's (the Creepy Ones) were always first.
    Thank You Cristafari - I stand corrected. Carry On. The "Nice" Otaku types all went to MomoClo or NGZK46 I guess. Which makes me wonder who is following AKB48 now? What have I been doing since 2012? KPOP is even "less" Perverted - they don't even let girls wear bikini's...like ever. They all wear potato sacks to bed I think.

7. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

You sure are obsessed with fitting large groups of people into neat little boxes.

I'll solve the mystery for you:

The people who are following AKB now are people.

You're welcome.

8. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

OT but I don't think Kpop is less perverted, they just have a subtler way of being sexual. For example, EXID's new PV, L.I.E is full of innuendo, same as Fiestar's One More, which was censored because of its racy lyrics, and of course, Stellar, who are the queens of overly sexual Kpop.

9. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    Sistar is a group that i consider "classy and sexy". They don't need to be in swinsuit to be sexy. It's a way of life, the way you move, etc.

That's why i don't feel sexiness at all when watching everyday kachuusa.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  10. brunoiaz

brunoiaz Kenkyuusei

I don't personally see anything sexual about the bikini PVs :^^;: And I feel very uncomfortable watching most of the kpop videos because I feel they are way too sexualized. With AKB Group this happens more rarely and has nothing to do with bikinis. At the same time, songs/music videos (from artists overall) with much more explicit sexual content are pretty ok sometimes, depending on the context and the content. Of course I'm simplifying things, but my point here is that a lot of "I consider this sexual or not" is quite subjective.

• Like Like x 2
  11. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

Kpop not sexualized? hahaha
    I guess you've never researched that before... seriously just a simple google/YouTube search will prove you wrong.

12. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

I think that Kpop is indeed sexual but some are really classy. They aren't the dirty kind. Of course, that's some. Can't guarantee all are the same. However, with AKB, it's mostly the under aged sexual MV that throw people off. Talk no further, Hebirote. We have a 13(?) year old Jurina in there. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the bikini and those MVs but sometimes it's AKB looking for hate and not people hating for fun.

13. kyoto48☀︎☂

kyoto48☀︎☂ Member

Just go to google, YouTube, or Reddit and search Kpop fap, and you will see the classiness :rofl:

14. trxsh

trxsh Member

No one said that though

15. Slacker13

Slacker13 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    oguriyui
    I was kidding. One look at AOA and some others. I'm more of an "Oh My Girl", "Twice", "Crayon Pop", "Red Velvet" type of guy.... I was into SNSD before they betrayed Goddess Jessica.

Final thoughts
    I think we all have our own idealized "visions" of what AKB48 is or should be. It's weird because in Anime they repeat the same "tropes", "Harems", "genres", ect constantly...they just change the settings & girls around - but if you stay long enough (2-3 years) the patterns repeat. Only every 5-10 years do you get anything ground breaking & totally revolutionary. It seems like common sense AKI-P would just go back to the Traditional Tropes of 2011-2013... Hopefully the Election will be Such a Shake-Up that it forces him to really make something "New".

I realized something odd yesterday watching this song LIVE performance.

SKE48: trains so hard & dances w/ such energy & wants it's girls to be like a precision machine of Idol greatness.
    AKB48: 1/2 the girls so popular they don't have to show-up at the theater. The "dancing" is improvised & the center has a bench for sitting. What's next sitting on blankets & singing while eating sandwiches.

Where's the Energy - Where's the pump-up? The Genki smiles. Hopefully these "Mailed-In" songs will end when we get some young girls w/ actual ENERGY in Senbatsu. Even NGZK46 & KEYEzaki46 have actual "Dance Moves" & choregraphy.

16. ForrestFuller

ForrestFuller Senbatsu

AKB48's 44th Single (Tsubasa wa Iranai) (2nd Week Sales)
    Week 2:
    38,851 (1,479,562) (2nd)

As Mentioned before, V6's new single was #1 this week (115,760).

17. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Not bad.

Should get to 1.5 million in two or three weeks.

18. Matsui Hikari

Matsui Hikari Future Girls Stage48 Donor

Hon, I don't know what the eff "Kpop" you're watching but some are definitely not the dirty sexual kind. A simple example is SNSD. Some may not classify them in the sexy genre but there are songs and often costumes that they wear where it's on the sexy side. Are they turning people on? Are they showcasing their boobs? Are they doing erotic things?

Mod note: Spoilered content unnecessary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
  19. Konno A.

Konno A. Future Girls

Oshimen:
    ichikawamiori
    I guess it was expected that they wouldn't sell as much as BwT, but still really good overall~~

20. Rurouni

Rurouni Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

If I have a choice between subscribing AKB Mail vs buying multiple CD, of course I will just subscribe AKB Mail. I believe I can triple my votes if I can subscribe AKB Mail vs buying the votes. Buying the CD is even more expensive than just buying the votes.
    Anyway, despite having this cheaper method of voting, the CD sales is still strong, so good for them.