AKB48 Foreign Advance (Speculation and Creativity ver.)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by RocketStarLauncher, Sep 10, 2009.

1. RocketStarLauncher

RocketStarLauncher Member Retired Staff

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Now that selected groups of AKB48 members have announced and completed several overseas trips, I'd like to speculate about their options abroad.

Japanese idols seem to be quite quite unique compared to most other musical artists and groups, and these differences can often be selling points or stigmatic ideas in foreign lands. In one view, they're incredibly versatile: a group can sing, dance, and perform songs of any number of genres, as well as the idols may be used and use most all types of media. In another view, groups of many girls with varying ages from countries famous for their homogeneous appearances prove to be hard to market.

Unlike the "Can AKB48 make an international career?" thread, I'd like to 'explore' the concept of releasing music in other countries. More specifically, answering the question, "If AKB48 were to release a single in my home country, what would they use?" Please include as many details as possible (song, members, language, costumes, PV ideas, etc.) in your post.

2. Takamina

Takamina Kenkyuusei

I don't think AKB48 can release a single in France but we can imagine.
    For France I think :

- electro-pop songs or pop-rock songs
    - not numerous members (between 5 and 8)
    - japanese language/ english language
    - sexy uniforms or ordinary clothes

3. Shoudou

Shoudou Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kotaniriho
    i wanna say my personal opinion about Spain.

well, 1st of all in spain there is not a single release culture, there is an album release culture, so almost never you can see a single of 2,3 songs in a store.

language is another proble, here is spanish or english music, even people prefer english music even not understand the lyrics and anything. there used to be "idols" in the 80's and some case in the 90's but not more than 4,5,6 people in the band and no more than 1, 2 years in active.

obvioulsy in spain the culture of akiba is not prensent anywhere, so a band who use lot of seifuku and clothes like this i don't think would be so accepted. The main problem is that when people heat the word "japanese music" automatically thing in ancient chinese from hundred years ago or very very traditional music.

I use to show japanese Pv's to some people and the answer is: " wow, in japan they also do pop, rock, metal?? amazing" (yeah, so sad)

and finally the videos, here in Spain almost all music news, releases, etc... are promoted in the radio, on tv there are very very few music chanels and almost all of them are pay per view.

about idols, i think we all know japanese idol concept is a strange concept for people in here, when i show akb to some of my partners, they always say things like " oh, that chinese gilr is very goodlooking" or "with that mini skirts i would do xxxxxx to them" (yeah usually spanish guys are like this... u.u). And i think that we see the girls with other eyes, like our friends or people who make us smile and we have funny seeing them doing idiot things or competitions :)D).

Another point is the kind of music, the akb songs style sounds little stupid in "normal" people (people who don't like asian or japanese culture)

for example in France, the japanese culture is lot more promoted than here, so they can permit to get AKB or other japanese bands for some event or convention, but here.... some jap visual bands has come and finally canceled the concert cause not enough ticket sells.

So i think generally in europe, idols (japanese idols) are not good idea. people don't know who to appreciate them like us.

4. Pan-chan

Pan-chan Kenkyuusei

I don't think that here, their numbers would be such an issue. I mean the idea of having that many good looking girls in one group is never a downer, and I think that would be their novelty factor.

We've had seveal big hits, from non english songs, just look at that bloody Dragostea din tei (numa numa) song. Where WASN'T that famous? Also half-intelligible songs that Las Ketchup song too "Asereje" And indeed songs with no lyrics at all.

I think they could go about it in 2 ways.

They could either use some of the younger looking members, use a song thats upbeat, put a routine thats easy to learn to it, keep the uniforms and market towards kids and younger teens, with a mix of english and japanese lyrics. This way they could probably get away with keeping a full cast of girls in too, and they won't lose so much of the AKB identity.

or.

Send older girls, and girls with the better singing voices, ditch the uniforms, decrease the group to 7 or 8, go for a more mature, sexier look, and probably release something in the form of a dancier track, or RnB styled pop. They could probably also go the Koda Kumi root and do a collaboration, since there are several pop icons like Mika for example who are aware and into them.

I'm trying to think of some songs for both categories that would work if they were reinvented a little, but i'll post those later, as the Hannah Montana movie is calling to me xD

5. Chivor

Chivor Kenkyuusei

I hope they never will release any music anywhere more south than where they are now >.>

6. rui

rui Kenkyuusei

I am sorry if this sounds really negative but no, no and no.

First and foremost, they arn't even 100% stable in Japan.
    They cannot even satisfy the fanbase in Japan, to have a permenant concrete expansion abroad is too ridiculous at this point of time.

Secondly, market is simply way too niche. They make way too little profit for the amount of effort.

Annual abroad concerts and attending anime/japan expos are cool, but to work on a concrete abroad expansion, it is way too early and probably, hardly possible YET.

7. albusdumb

albusdumb Member

Even if I like to see the AKB48 arriving to France, I really don't like that the concept is denatured.
    The group is what it is and it is for this that we like it.
    What you would think if a pale adaptation arrives in your country. I'm ready to believe that you would not like it.

And like say rui, if we want to continue to see the AKB48, they must be maintained in Japan because if all is finished in Japan, that will be also finished for the foreigner

It's true that in France the Japanese culture is well developed, but I think that the concept of AKB48 would not function as it is.
    And if that makes me be sad, I prefer that the things remain thus

8. ando

ando Kenkyuusei

Everyone good evening. =(_ _)=

Aaa AKB always release singles in my country, and I do not know what to expect. σ(^_^;)

As for the concept...
    I think Japanese things should remain Japanese things.
    Forgive me, it is not because I like my country so very much or I want to be protective about it.
    But I think it will be better if Japanese things gain success because of the Japanese factors of those Japanese things, rather than gain success because the Japanese things have turned into Haafu things, or Westernized Japanese things.
    So if AKB want to release singles in overseas countries, I think it is better for the singles to be as themselves.

As for the solid satisfaction...
    As Japanese, I will not say that I am satisfied with what Akimoto-san is doing.
    His management sometimes create stirs among us because of the decision they made, and it is no secret that many many Japanese fans are still in doubt about what their favorite member could be in the future, considering the "discrimination" of the management of Akimoto-san (some members gained too much spotlight than others).
    With all of these, how come one could expect a solid success for AKB in overseas regions?
    You have to be able to stand firm and walk safely with your own feet in your own yard and before considering to run in a long road.

Again, forgive me, it is not because I am greed.
    I admit, I am pessimist for what Akimoto-san can do here, let alone what he can do overseas. (@ ̄ρ ̄@)zzzz
    But to have some overseas shows I think is good, like JapanExpo or maybe AKB has its own show in France?
    It will help overseas fans to enjoy AKB music directly just like us Japanese ones.

Forgive me, I offended you too much, and for my bad English. m(_ _)m

9. RocketStarLauncher

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    Thanks for the posts you guys, but I was hoping to spark discussion about 'designing' singles for your own nation (similar to what Pan-chan posted), instead of how they would do in your home country. That can go in the thread linked below:

I don't want AKB to release outside of Japan, and I don't think it's very plausible to be successful for a group like them, but I still like to speculate. An example idea is as follows: (As with any/all of my 'creative' posts, I am still typing out bigger ideas...)

Song: Tsundere!
    Members: Itano Tomomi, Sato Amina, Kitahara Rie
    Language: English with bits of Japanese scattered throughout, (for instance, 'tsundere' would remain)
    Costumes: Same as the A5 unit performance but all three girls wear heels under their legwarmers (like Itano gets)
    PV ideas: Film in a Japanese section of a city, use of flashy 2D graphics, green screen scenes

This release would be for the US, and the girls would be marketed similar to groups like the Black Eyed Peas. This way, they're encouraged to be fun and impractical. The girls would be promoted using parts of Japanese culture so that while they are a group, they seem new and fresh, yet almost educational.

10. lordkyrie

lordkyrie Kenkyuusei

For the US. I think if they want to release a single in the US, first the song should be in English, and the girl should be able to sing clearly in English.

Honestly, oogoe diamond in english gave me goosebumps. Good try, but try again, Akimoto san

11. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

In all honesty, they would NEVER come anywhere near Colombia :D But I still think that this is a fun idea.

Exclusive AKB release for Colombia:
    Single: Fushidara na Natsu
    Selected Members: Noro Kayo, Umeda Ayaka, Akimoto Sayaka, Matsubara Natsumi, Oshima Yuko, Katayama Haruka, Yonezawa Rumi, Ohori Megumi
    Clothes: The Machikado no Party - Furishite Maneshite dresses and alternate shoots would include the girls dancing in cute beach clothes (bikinis and pareos)
    Setting: A beautiful caribbean beach, white sand, sun, palm trees, like a beach party
    Language: Obviously japanese. We're used to the subtitles anyway, a spanish line or two just for the sake of being silly [hehe]

That would be so much fun to watch. I love it when AKB does anything even mildly latin sounding (that's why I love Seishun no Inazuma, End Roll and Ikirutte Subarashii so much), and Fushidara is my favorite of this songs. The girls are actually trying to dance salsa there! And some succeed at it really well! The Furishite dresses are kind of silly and flamboyant but they resemble the traditional clothes for colombian dances A LOT so it's all cool.
    This is a cute and sexy idea! I'm so proud of myself [clap]

12. ando

ando Kenkyuusei

It is so me. ヾ(@^▽^@)ノ

I would like the original Team K (I hate cabinet reshuffle) with Latin speaking songs.
    Or the recent songs in Latin.
    I wonder what is going to happen... (dreaming, dreaming) (-^□^-)

"Quizás, quizás..." ~♪♪♪

☆(≧▽≦)*゜ノ゛☆

13. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

Oh yeah! Original Team K FTW! K2 was such a nice stage because it had Fushidara and Cinderella wa Damasarenai! I want more latin style AKB songs!!! [kiss]

14. Raem

Raem Kenkyuusei

I think french people who like AKB are buying singles DVD or what you want directly on Internet or in Japan specialized shops (import), and i'm not sure that releasing CDs in France will works for AKB. I mean, everybody can already easily buy it, and I don't thing people who dont know them yet will pay ~15€ to get something new, just because girls are cute or anything else.

In the other hand, if AKB girls plans to come more frequently in France (let me dream plz ^^), and become more famous, maybe releasing CD or DVD could be a good idea. Well, let imagine it happens, I think they should release same songs than in Japan, with same outfits, and in Japanese (we all have seen what happens in the last Japan Expo when they sang in English xD). Maybe they could add a bonus song in French, like SnH which is really awesome in french <3.

15. Shokora

Shokora Kenkyuusei

I don't think they'll be successful in any kind of foreign advance unless they sing entirely in that countries language. The only way for the whole concept of 'Idols you can meet' to work is if you made different '48' groups for different countries. Sort of like how SKE is setup for people who are too far from Akibahara.

As much as I'd like to see AKB expand, I think AKB works best in Japan just because Japan is a totally different culture and being a smaller country. I'm not sure how people would react to them selling multiple versions of songs, or the idea of having 48 girls but only 12 of them are actually sing.

16. Mahal2y

Mahal2y Kenkyuusei

I was born in the Philippines and lived there until I was ten years old and while I lived there I listened to mostly Philippino songs and thats in Tagalog or Toglish, a english and philippino dialect, when I was still ten I moved to Japan and as I grew up I listened to more and more Japanese and American Music. I believe that AKB has to be able to speak the language of the country they want to expand into, there is so very few Japanese who mix english with Japanese languages in there songs, and when you do hear the ones that do its usually just a few words. I believe AKB could sell there songs here and become popular here since there are so many asians who live here. :D

17. maxaroni

maxaroni Kenkyuusei

One of my friends from International Wota tweeted recently that the most recent Asian release that she think would be taken the best in her school would be RIVER because of the step routine.

and of a few of the people I've shown AKB48, here are the most common comments: "It's like mail-order brides," "They all have the same haircut," "School uniforms? That's so sexual," "Why the hell do you listen to a chorus of little 12 year old girls?!" Yeah ): When I explain that the average age is actually 14 or 15, and that a lot of the members are close to my age (16-17), they still won't let up on the likes of Maachan, Jurina or Lovetan ):

For me, I live in an area where Hiphop and Rap are still the most prominent genre of music, with a bit of rock and the occasional person who listens to the likes of Katie Perry and Lady GaGa.

but for a song to be released. . .

SONG: Kagami no Naka no Jean D'arc (Group version)
    MEMBERS: Sashihara Rino, Urano Kazumi, Yonezawa Rumi, Tanabe Miku, Kashiwagi Yuki, Akimoto Sayaka, Miyazawa Sae, Masuda Yuka, Takahashi Minami
    Clothes: Several variations of the stage version of the song. Plus regular fashionable clothes for some story scenes.
    PV: for the 'story segment' at the beginning, it would be Sasshi sitting in a bedroom, looking pouty because of a text message from a friend/boyfriend about arguing or breaking up or some thing like that. She sits down at a vanity and stares into the mirror, then on the other side is her wearing the Kagami outfit and then it goes through the entire cast, in split second parts of them sitting/standing in front of a mirror. It switches to a dance scene which is in a barren looking field with shrubbery and a big AKB48 Flag in the background, with swords and spears impaled into the ground. Over hte course of the PV, the girls fight a 'battle' similar to the one from River, with Sasshi leading holding the big AKB48 flag, and then in the 'bedroom scenes,' the 'battle scenes' are taking place in the mirror. At the end, the battle girls disappear from the battlefield and all that's left is the AKB48 flag in the background.
    LANGUAGE: I dunno. I can't think of it in any other language but Japanese, but I"m sure English would be a better choice for xenophobic western PA

Another PV I can think of is

SONG: Mori e Ikou
    MEMBERS: a lot :D Probably all of AKB48, because of the choir effects and harmonies
    CLOTHES: probably something similar to the ones from the stage.
    SETTING: a forest, with a clearing for the dance and singing shots. For a plot, they'd be wandering a forest, and at the end they find a bright light in the center of the forest, and disappear into it.
    LANGUAGE: English. It's powerful in both languages, but I want to hear this one in English.

18. RocketStarLauncher

Oshimen:
    Sato Natsuki
    ^Both of those sound like good thoughts. I especially like how you're combining the lyrics of Kagami with the performance. Clever.