[GENERAL] The NGT48 Thread

Discussion in 'General NGT48 Discussion' started by ForrestFuller, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Arinko

Arinko Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    I like how NGT48 is having a few aces instead of putting everything into one basket. Everyone have different strengths and weaknesses. I feel every member is already an ace in a different area. Kinda makes Team NIII and the KKS as a whole a well rounded group.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

It seems so common-sense, that one wonders why more SGs don't do likewise. But perhaps it's harder when you have more than one generation :^^;:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. Humbucker

Humbucker Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Sashihara Rino
    Not having a permanent center is actually a double-edged sword. While it's great for idol wotas because their oshimens have more chances to shine, the group not having a permanent "face", in other words, changing the center so many times, fails in the attempt to appeal the general public or casual fans. Using me as an example, who doesn't really follow Sakamichi group other than listening to some songs, I know well that Keyakiza is "that group wearing military-like costumes with that 'girl with serious expression' (Hirate Yurina) standing in the middle", but I don't have idea who the face/center of Nogizaka is, they're "just" a bunch of pretty girls to me.

Aki-p once stated, in one of his appearances in ANN, that he doesn't see the point of changing a center without necessity, i.e., he doesn't think there's a necessity of giving the center position to a different girl every time just so everyone has the same opportunities. As long as they think a girl fits the song, they'll use her even though she centered a song before.

This also means, on the other hand, that having many girls with different personalities like in NGT, chances are higher for them to find different girls who fit different songs, which is already happening.

4. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ For a formerly-casual-now-ultra-casual fan as myself, valid points (for what it's worth to the Worthy). :^^;:

But why not hybridize both approaches: use the girl that fits a song as appropriate, despite not having been 'minted' as a center... with a 'sunny day' priority on rotation. This insures rotation occurs (given the group receives adequate singles in the year, another issue for another post), without unnecessarily locking-in an ill-matched girl as the face of a song, just for the sake of rotation. The business demands the most marketable face for a song accompany it on shelves, while the rotation boosts in-group morale & fan diversification (though I hesitate to claim higher fan spending). In order for the second to have any meaning, it has to be the norm until the business demands the first make an exception.

I feel most fans will accept this (then again, I don't have Worthy knowledge or posts to reflect that).

5. Dee

Dee Kenkyuusei

It's a matter of preference.
    I personally prefer the Nogizaka way over Keyakizaka. I find it much more sustainable in the long run.

The multiple aces and centers is one of the things that makes me a fan of NGT48.

6. Arinko

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    With so many of the usual suspects being away because of AKB48 related stuff, getting the other members to center a song is a great way
    1. To give the member the chance and experience. Up to the member to take advantage of it.
    2. To Let management see if she has the potential
    3. To Give her fans a reason to feel that NGT48 is not letting her rot
    4. For all members to be well rounded,be a leader/center at a moment's notice.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  7. Dee

Dee Kenkyuusei

It's odd bringing up Keyakizaka as an example for gathering public interest. There's been talk of their popularity lacking public recognition as apposed to their strong fandom.

8. Humbucker

Humbucker Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Sashihara Rino
    Personally I'm glad NGT48 is experimenting various girls rather than going with one permanent center (or centers) like Keyakizaka, because of various points people already mentioned above. It also avoids future problems in a long run like AKB, SKE or NMB had when it was "too late".

What I meant to say about appealing to the general public is not necessarily some survey of how many faces people recognize within a group but that familiar faces generate empathy with people. To mention some examples, people in general (at least in Japan) know that Arashi is that group with the same five guys, so was SMAP until they disbanded (not considering the early formation), Ikimono Gakari is the band with one female vocal and two guys, Sekai no Owari has two guys, a girl and a clown (lol), Perfume has three girls and so on. It's easy to "understand" them. Exile, on the other hand, is quite complicated (independent of how popular they are), because there were two vocals and dancers at some point and then Sandaime came and some other variations. People get confused. Same goes to Morning Musume (in whatever version) and 48 sister groups. (Actually the existence of so many groups "more of the same" is too much for them.)

These are also some comments I hear from my relatives while watching NHK Kouhaku and other music programs. They're not idol fans at all but appreciate Japanese music in general. (The main complaint of the older ones is the dominance of j-pop over enka singers btw.)

9. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ Agree -- diversification and innovation is the only way forward for such a huge idol group. H!P and earlier post-golden-era failures, are 2017 48G's Sword of Damocles...

Re: enka... my mother is of that community where she can't listen to anything but enka and '60s classic rock, as that's what her generation listened to and bonded with. She however also finds 'new' enka strange and 'not enka', as she likes to say.

I keep telling her the post-war generation that grew up penniless and hungry but tough from rising and setting with the relentless reality of '50s and '60s Japan, inspiring the singers and songs she loves so much... is as much simultaneously creator and product of that era. Only those conditions could instill gratitude deep enough to endure the daily shit-sandwich grinder of a life, and transcend it (much like the Great Depression here, toughened and created the Greatest Generation of Nazi hunters). They also insured something: that their hard work would result in future generations that didn't have to endure such hardship. Where this fails... is hardship and suffering, is a matter of perspective. You cannot force someone, or even ask them, to have gratitude to match yours, for what they have. It must come from living and chewing peanut fudge, as well... a grownup in the world. Therefore, the experiences that connect 70-yos in Japan to their youth, are typically vastly different from inspirations/nostalgia for 40-yos.

There's an adage I'd heard decades ago but still quote today: Bad roads bring good people... and good roads bring bad people. :fp:

10. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    http://realsound.jp/2017/12/post-138037.html

A couple of days ago Real Sound ran this interview with Maho and Gatanee on their site. Among all the interviews being published these days in conjunction with the second single's release, what makes this one interesting to me is that the spotlight here is on the older members and the group as considered from their perspective.
    I saw that the question of aging members has been brought up sometimes before (notably in the Hopes & Fears thread, in reference to possible graduations), so I tried to give a shot at translating part of it since I had some spare time. And if it gets some discussion rolling, all the better.

Personally, I find it conforting to sense that, in this case, the elder members think that their old age is not a reason for them to leave the group and abandon everyone, but for them to remain, as they feel it's their moral obligation as "big sisters" to take care of the juniors.
    I'm not sure if I can say the same for all the over-20 members in NGT, but both of them have made this abundantly clear through their attitude with younger members, which goes beyond a simple bond of friendship (Maho -> Rittan; Gatanee -> Ogiyuka, Miharu)

Also, apologies but I decided to translate only the second page as I thought that the focal point was on it, while the first part was just common knowledge about NGT's history, mostly the single and the Sousenkyo results.

[​IMG]

- With captain Rie Kitahara's graduation announcement and such, a number of shake-ups have happened within the group since its debut. To both of you, have you considered what position you'd want to fill right now inside the NGT48 group?

Yamaguchi: With the two members older than me (Mizusawa Ayaka, Otaki Yuria) having already graduated and Rie-san's graduation also drawing near, I have become the oldest, being 22 years old. Consequently, I have come to reconsider my own position. Or rather, I have become very mindful of the fact that I have become the oldest in there. So I'm trying not to show my weaknesses when in front of other members.

- As a grown-up member, in some capacity, it means you are now in a position where you have to watch over the others.

Yamaguchi: The younger members are all so cute, it really can't be helped. (laughs) But to the same degree, you also get concerned about them. When I understand that right now this girl is worried about something, I would invite her to lunch and listen to what she has to say. If you admonish someone pointlessly, to an excessive extent, it will bring nothing good for the sake of the girl, no matter what. But when there's something that actually demands attention, you need to be able of giving proper attention to it. The thing is, I want to be someone who would act as a "big sister" figure to a moderate enough degree.

Nishigata: Right now, Ogino Yuka-chan is Team NIII's vice-captain, but there are times when Yuka-chan is also busy with being in the AKB48 Senbatsu and such, and she can't appear at theater shows. On those and other times, to avoid making Yuka-chan feel worried, I want to serve a role that would provide her the encouragement to keep going. That's because today Yuka-chan is there running at the forefront for all of us.

- In this sense, does it mean that during the period of group activities so far, the presence of the supporting senpais, namely Kitahara-san and Kashiwagi Yuki-san, has been significant?

Yamaguchi: That's right. If I have to be specific, Kitahara-san is the type who watches over the rest. She wouldn't go as far as to speak out and say things out loud, but she can communicate with her own actions, "I want all of you to also do this way". She is the type who teaches not with words, but through her own attitude. As for Yukirin-san (Kashiwagi), there's also the factor that she has a concurrent position and so the times we can work together are limited, but on those times we are together, she always makes sure to give us some advices. Not only on live performances, but also on variety shows, she hands out advices like "On this time, you must keep in mind this thing". There are many times when she has called our attention to these aspects. Yukirin-san is a person with an amazing idol nature, there have been many times when she has given us advices from perspectives that we didn't even consider.

- Two different types of people are teaching you each with their own respective methods, then.

Yamaguchi: There have been many occasions in which NGT48 members received praise for their MC. But I think this is thanks to the fact that Rie-san too makes amusing and thought-out comments, and demonstrates to us on a regular basis how to carry yourself on it. NGT48 members aren't girls who stick to making tame comments on MCs. (laughs) Hadn't the senpais been here, maybe we would be just talking about normal matters in a normal manner. At live performances, in between the songs are MC segments -- if we let our mood cool down in that part, wouldn't all the enthusiasm vanish in an instant? As such, MCs are important. If the talk falls flat during MC, we would then reflect on it later, like "Aaah, I failed to keep the flow of the discussion going". (laughs) The presence of someone such as Rie-san, and Yukirin-san teaching us about the power of idols -- the fact that these two senpais have been in NGT48 since the beginning of our activities has been significant. And I'm grateful for that.

- Each of you always try to bring out your distintive characters on MCs and the like, but another stand-out trait of NGT48 is also that Instagram is the main social media used by individual members.

Nishigata: Instagram is the "in" thing right now, which I think is also why our management came to this decision. But thanks to Instagram, people who previously didn't know NGT48 found an opportunity to learn about us and go to handshake events, the number of young people is also increasing and we are also receiving comments by people from abroad.

Yamaguchi: Even with Instagram, it was something that Rie-san recommended to Imamura-san (Etsuro, NGT48's theater manager). As someone who also gets to use other social media such as Twitter, Rie-san also considered what would have been the best social media for NGT48 members to start with.

Nishigata: Rie-san tends to say that she "hopes this will become a group where everyone will receive spotlight, one by one". People are perceiving that we are turning into such a group, which is a happy thing for NGT48. We are here today thanks to the senpai who led the way and set an example for us in a splendid manner. Thus, we too want to become someone capable of guiding our kouhais, next.

- While also being part of the group, Kitahara-san and Kashiwagi-san both went through many solo activities. To both of you, in what way would you want to expand your activities on a solo level?

Yamaguchi: As for me, of course, my dream is wanting to become a model. I don't mean to brag, but it's impossible for me to get fat. (laughs) To the point that, lately, I get asked every day "Did you lose weight?" (laughs) As an idol, you have to do a lot of physical activity when performing, so if you get thin people start feeling concerned about you, you develop a complex about not looking cute enough... But a job such a modeling is also a place where you can take those aspects of yourself that you are insecure about, and turn them to your advantage, right? In contrast to my slimness, I have a physique characterized by long arms and long legs, so much so that even my NGT48 costumes need to be extended or else they won't fit. I believe that this slenderness can turn also into a merit, so I hope to put it to good use. Considering my age at the moment, I'm also thinking that I need to look for the next step of my career. So, right now, my goal on an individual level is to become a model...

Nishigata: Being an idol is an occupation that entails working lots of different genres of job -- singing, acting, appearing on fashion magazines. Some days ago, in the individual movie included in the DVD bundled with the CD single, I had the chance to do a scripted play. I've been wanting to do acting since before, and I would love to be able to perform again in the future. However, working as an idol, after the theater show is over, while I look back again at my own dance moves and meditate about it, I come to think that it would be better if I could treasure every daily theater performance, today more so than yesterday, tomorrow more so than today, and so on. Of course, I'm also thinking about a future goal for myself on a solo level, but being able to work as an idol is an opportunity which I think I can have only now. And so, I want to enjoy it with all my strength.

- You have also brought up the individual movies included in the single. Assuming that the project of such individual movies will continue with each future single release, seeing these movie productions increase in number is going to be a pleasure, too.

Yamaguchi: Since they are being produced for all members and not just Senbatsu members, people can learn about each single one of them, and it will also become a chance for people to discover new members and say "There's also this girl?", which I think is wonderful. When it comes to music videos, the allotted screentime for each member to appear is distributed unevenly in favor of some, which I think is only natural, but I believe fans are still happy to see their oshimen on camera. In this sense, the invidual PVs are something I'm very happy about, to the point I wonder whoever invented them. There's a feeling of specialness in these movie productions where only one certain girl appears on video. And watching the individual movies of other members is also fun. I really love it.

- On next year's spring, you'll enter your second year since debut. How do you want it to be, for NGT48?

Nishigata: This year we didn't manage to appear on NHK's Kouhaku Uta Gassen, but I would be glad if we can next year. After all, NGT48's colors are also red and white.

- So, it's about Kouhaku.

Nishigata: There is also this hope. It would be nice if a special outfit would be made for Kouhaku and all of us would appear on it together. I hope that from now on, when we get to appear on music shows, we will be able to bring all people who watched us on TV back with us to Niigata. By which I mean, it'll be great if the number of people who'll decide to pay a visit to the Niigata prefecture will increase thanks to it, even if it's just one person.

Yamaguchi: Also at the Senbatsu Sousenkyo 10 members ranked in, and we achieved the first place at Request Hour. What I'm thankful about is that there've been various occasions in which we were described as a "group with a momentum". But I imagine that we are told so also because not much time has passed since our formation. Therefore, we aren't going to let all of this end at just "being a momentum".

Nishigata: Oh, this was so cool. (laughs)

Yamaguchi: I'm really happy for the fact that right now people are keeping their expectations high about us, because of it. And so, we also feel a sense of responsibility, or rather a pressure, telling us we must not let things die down just now. Therefore, without letting things end as just a momentum, we want to become a group that can be considered the main force within AKB48G. I think today is the chance, and I want to ride on this wave.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Arinko

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    ^ Like what I said before, NGT48 members are aware of the issues at hand and each are doing part however small to overcome them. I am glad they are not sitting around predicting doom and gloom like some in Japanese discussions sites, just based off the 2nd single's 1st week sales. This single's song is a 'Song with a message' as Okappa puts it in interviews.

Every organisation will have to have a downturn somewhere and the earlier they experience it, the better - the loss is a lot less. They weren't idling around in 2016, when things were not looking so great like this year. The quiet times or low times are when you build up your foundations. Those that will stay back and support are important. Yes, they need more members since a lot more members are getting noticed and are in the away team.

NGT48 seems to still be experimenting with different styles and each works well with different members and their appeal to fans/general public. They haven't been pigeon-holed into a specific style yet and it is exciting, you don't know what to expect in the next single.

NGT48's MCing is a different level compared to other groups. Even Okappa has come out of her shell in her own way. Kado chan might still some prodding to start. Other MCs have yet to learn to be vigilant when having NGT48 as guests (classic example was with Kuro chan @jam).

12. Arinko

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    2nd part of Ayutarou, Tsugumin and Mofu on Playstation Japan variety show

if the video does not show watch the video here
    Fairplay? Nah!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  13. stormy

stormy Kenkyuusei

^ I thought it was more than fair -- exp'd GT player vs. first-time-driving idols? With the girls already having the handicap of a notoriously underpowered GT86 vs. a Coyote-powered S-550 Mustang? [hehe]

If Tsugumin had another hour alone on the controls in the Mustang... vs. Sensei in the GT86 -- I think it'd be a much more interesting EP for drivers and ex-racers, if not as 'kyapi-kyapi' for idol fans :approve:

14. Arinko

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    Just wondering why everyone is hoping Yukirin's concurrency will end in 2018? Nearly every interview article or media appearance at the national level, Yukirin is still highly regarded by members. I rather she be around in name and get ragged by the members for not showing up in Niigata more frequently, than to let the 1st Gen members take the reigns with no senior who has been there from the very beginning, to get advice from.

Yes, NGT48 has been doing well with Yukirin away, but with Rie leaving, the new captain will need someone who she can turn to for advice. I don't want them to flounder like other groups who have been left to their own devices.

The NGT48 members who participated in AKB48 performances know the group currently lacks a certain level of professionalism that seniors have. Yukirin sometimes gives them advice on how to carry themselves, not as an outsider (AKB48 senior to a SG member) but as one of them and knows the group dynamics.

Yukirin might be graduating soon, and I rather she graduates as a NGT48 member instead of just a plain AKB48 member. Would she then have to go to Niigata to take down her photo too?

15. Chiarara

Chiarara Kenkyuusei

I think its because Yukirin, despite rarely participating in stages and NGT events, still takes a spot(and a very good one at that) in the singles, and many fans may argue that another member couldve taken that spot. I think it goes back to the whole “sg kennin dilemma”( dont perform in theater, only show up for songs).
    That said I am indifferent to her when it comes to her position within the group, but Im glad that she can give the girls advice and help. But shell probably cancel the kennin and graduate as a pure AKB member, specially since shes the last 3rd gen.

16. Chiarara

Chiarara Kenkyuusei

Happy New Year to all NGT fans! I wish you and your oshi(s) a wonderful 2018!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Arinko

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    The fans will not be satisfied if it is not given to their oshimen. I would rather she keeps her spot and let the status quo continue, than have a fan war against the whole group and its management because their favorites didn't get promoted.

Happy 2018 everyone, especially for NGT48.

18. Cisalpine88

Cisalpine88 Next Girls

Twitter:
    speranzom
    I wouldn't call it a "hope" but a "prediction", something that's just bound to happen in the foreseeable future and has been already in the air for a while, and which now everyone is just waiting for.
    Unlike with Kitarie, Yukirin's involvement with NGT has been unclear and noticeably weak since the start. The fact that she's a "rare character" on theater shows has also become kind of a laughing matter: I remember how, for a joke, on the last anniversary show they also displayed a ranking of which members served as Yukirin's sub-in the most times. Beyond a few appearances on national music shows, especially on occasion of the brief talk segments, her interaction with NGT has practically been close to none, in fact.

If the original aim of this kennin position was to provide a familiar face to serve as a "gateway" for NGT to non-fans, I'd say that this purpose has been exhausted long ago, even since before Ogiyuka's breakout or Rika's gori-push: the promotional campaign for Seishun Dokei, for one thing, focused on the fact that every member has a strong distinctive character of their own, and through interviews and radio appearances they strived to introduce themselves with their own words and actions, thus effectively bypassing any reliance on a "center" or a "famous dai-senpai" to act as a mouthpiece for the rest of the group. One can see a design behind this decision.

Even variety-wise, it's safe to say that NGT members are entirely self-made, some through theather MCs, others through Showroom, some other it can be said that they were already born this way. I don't see how Yukirin's addition could possibly make a difference at this point, in fact I even recall Yukirin herself being overwhelmed by their sense of enterprise at times.

I'm not sure what advices Yukirin has been handing out to NGT members so far, I want to believe they were some practical and valuable ones, but even so I don't see the necessity for a senpai to hold a kennin position in the group for this purpose only. Even without, you can easily serve as an advisor for junior members and you should still make yourself available to them if necessary: the fact that Sashihara isn't a kennin member obviously didn't stop Moeka from contacting her on LINE for counseling multiple times in the past (to cite a story I just happened to read on the Nikkei Entertainment special).

The way I see it, Yukirin's departure is not something that would impact NGT, much less negatively, and it would on the contrary be considered a definitive sign that NGT is able to stand up on their own and prepared for it.
    In fact, this actually goes hand in hand with other statements made in the past, especially what Kitarie said concerning her own graduation (that a senpai's graduation is instrumental for the further growth of kouhais) and Etsuro describing this 1st gen as having shaped up to be "the strongest" in recent memory (a sentiment he had since before the Sousenkyo, too, as you can see).
    The cancellation of her kennin position would only be another step in this direction that NGT has already taken.

Anyway, happy 2018 from me too. (*´ω`*)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Arinko

Oshimen:
    nakamuraayuka
    When Yukirin's concurrency is ended, NGT48 best be in a position to promote all their current KKS. I don't want some to feel left out.

Just watched the NHK Songs of Tokyo, Yukirin centred 365 paper planes, Ogiyuka was in the front row and Hinatan was at the side for fortune cookie and had lots of camera close ups. I thought I saw Okappa.... but the NHK World on the web quality is grainy.

20. Dee

Dee Kenkyuusei

<3 Happy New Year everyone <3

I don't mind Yukirin, but I rather the girls fend for themselves. They are smart and strong enough to take care of themselves.
    YukiRie have been with them for more than 2 years already, and a couple of members now even have agencies.

The only group I felt needed a mentor was HKT48, because they were still children at the time.