IMPORTANT- Please read- state of the forum

Discussion in 'Announcements & News' started by Mr Waffle, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    As you've probably noticed the past... forever, the forum has issues. These are caused by the database the forum uses to be far too large for the shared hosting the forum is on. It has gotten a lot worse the last week or so due to election fever driving up site hits to almost double the average.

Due to this, I set out to get us onto better hosting. After signing up to a new host, I was screwed around for a couple of days with 'security' checks and the like (they wanted a scan of my passport!!!) so I dropped them and found another host. Eventually I got that up, and started setting up for the move. Unfortunately the size reports of the database and the site itself were extremely underestimated, and I found myself dealing with a forum almost 5gb in size (over half of it due to attachments) and a database of 2.5gb (which the site control panel told me was only 1gb). This has been simply far too large for me to download and upload in the time I thought it would take. Yeah, it's my fault for not investigating more thoroughly.

The forum files are currently uploading to the new host. However there won't be enough time for me to also upload the database.

So what's to be done? Well, I'll keep uploading the forum itself. Those are static, they don't get changed when a user does something on the forum. But the database will have to wait.

For the next couple of days, the forum will stay open on its current, crap host. Yes, that means it'll probably crash and burn during the election. Due to bad luck and sloppy planning I can't fix that. All I can recommend is going to the chat and talking about it live, that's what I'll be doing. Then in a few days, I'll close the forum down again for about a day while I re-download the database and upload it to the new host, get that all working together, and, with any luck, we'll be on a nice fast not-crashing forum, like the 'good old days'. Only this time with more zazz. (Zazz not guaranteed)

Note: Attachments will be disabled. These are the only part of the forum files that can change, and I don't want that headache. I'll re-enable them once everything is working properly on the new host.

I'm sorry for the dramas that have being going on with the forum over the past days/weeks/months/years, just a few more days of suffering and we will hopefully be in the promised land. I hope you'll hold out alongside me and keep calling this place home.

Love & cupcakes,

Mr Waffle

TL;DR VERSION- forum will stay open during election and break a lot (use chat instead) and will work in a few more days. Attachments are turned off, will come back later.

ps Studio48 and the Wiki will operate as usual and I plan to move them over to the other host at the same time as the database.

2. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Also I noticed there were constantly 20something amount of guests at the forum at all times. I've set guest accounts to No Access for every sub-forum except this one for the time being. Yes, that'll hurt randoms and new fans and I don't want to do it, but at the moment the thousands of people who ARE members of the forum are my priority, and if doing that shows any benefits then I'll retain it until the move is complete.

(As a side note the new host has extremely extensive logging, stat tracking etc so I can monitor who/what/where things happen a lot better)

3. gekophetweb

gekophetweb Kenkyuusei

Take your time mr.waffle, I have my troubled dealing with moving stuff to a new server as well before so I know it's a pain.
    Don't worry about it too much, we appreciate the time you spend into this forum (or at least I do)

4. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    It could be much easier, I guess, if at first would be moved only stripts and database, then attachments turned completely off (no access at all - 404s look wrong) and transferred in background of near-fully functional and operating site. I guess they are the main issue - unless in database some caching is created explicitly by forum engine, it is relatively light, I suppose :whistle:

We just need to wait :)

No hate on attachments, please [hehe]

5. Jul3

Jul3 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    Jul3rd
    Stage48 on a bad host is better than no Stage48 at all, so I'm glad its back up, I've missed it.

One question: what happens to all the posts created since you re-opened, will they be transferred to the new host as well?

Second question: Once the forum moves, will we have to re-setup our email subscriptions to certain threads, or will that also carry over?

Thanks for the hard work Mr.Waffle! Hope the rest of the move goes smoothly!

6. gekophetweb

gekophetweb Kenkyuusei

^ think that's also will be carried over, since if it's set up correctly it's all in the DB.

@goratnik, think you're oversimplifying it. and it's also a matter of size, bandwidth, etc.
    Though it sounds relatively easy when typing in the process it's still one big mess once you start doing it.

7. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Take it easy, MrWaffle. And thank you for your hard work. I'm afraid you'll never get the gratitude you deserve for it... (and Miichan won't be the center, the world isn't perfect, let's face it... ;))

8. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    ^ Not oversimplyfying in any way - database is difficult thanks to import limitations and hacks like proper coding, but it is relatively light compared to FTP content - many threads here may be heavier than uncompressed database (and by-hand import is done by compressed, so difference is even greater). Thus setting up all working would be not too difficult to do. Our love to photos is obstacle here :lol:

Now no worry - we were able to survive so far, few days more is nothing.

9. shamurai48

shamurai48 Member

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    If waiting comes with a better result, we will wait as much as we can. But I really miss my home stage48, a day without Stage48, is a day without AKB48.

10. kimunlimited

kimunlimited Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    taniguchimegu
    I'm actually willing to take some of the blame on the attachments issue, just the 504 of them. [hehe]

There's actually 8 more photos I wish to attach when its activated please look forward to it. I'll just regret it in the next server move.

11. goratnik

goratnik Member

Oshimen:
    Akimoto Yasushi
    Twitter:
    goratnik
    I have 547, rather larger than yours :hmm: :fp:

:lol:

12. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Hi guys & gals, an update. I was planning on moving the forum earlier this week but became unexpectedly busy (stupid life getting in the way of the internet!). So I'll schedule the move to be basically this time tomorrow (the morning of Thursday the 21st Japan time). Hopefully things will go quicker since I'll only be moving the database and I can have the forum up and running within the day (I hope!). As before I'll post with an hour or so heads up.

Thank you for your patience. :worthy:

13. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Forum will be going down in ~15 minutes for the move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.