Kakizaki Memi / 1st Generation

Discussion in 'Hinatazaka46 Graduated Members' started by ForrestFuller, May 11, 2016.

1. ukifune

ukifune Upcoming Girls

@Dill -- She mentioned about a year ago that she liked the idea of studying the history of "overseas" art. I thought she was either referring to an art course she was taking in high school or to wanting to enter an art university/college. Her first dark shot was of her father's piece "Mountain of Suffering," and I thought it brought out the suffering. I also liked her shot of her father talking to a group in dim light, with a long red piece bright and clear on the wall behind them. I have always thought she was looking at things. I loved how she seemed to be looking straight at the viewer through the camera lens, as if she was more interested in seeing what lay outside her than in showing herself to other people.

Thanks for the link about Rembrandt lighting. I remember being in the Horyuji temple near Nara and watching a photographer setting up shots with a light and an assistant holding a reflector. I think Memi may be particularly interested in lighting because she herself was lit so badly in most professional photos: she needed to be lit from the side, and/or seen from a slight angle, to avoid seeming moon-faced, as she did under strong direct stage lighting. Her own selfies and shots by other members seemed to me the best photos of her we got.

Memi said early on that she just became head of her middle-school art club because her sister had been, and that her sister was the real artist. I picture her sister going to an art college, and Memi wanting to join her there. I'm so glad her father is giving her these opportunities to create things and show them to people. The various cartoons she did as a member of Hiragana/Hinata all delighted me, starting with the quick portrait of Kumi she did during their first live. The more detailed self-portrait she did in a later DVD extra was much less impressive...although she looked great doing it, intent and real.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ukifune

ukifune Upcoming Girls

Another photo by Memi from her father's Facebook (and Twitter), but this time not of his work, but of fish in a pond. The style remains the same: the subject clear, but obscured -- in this case by darkness and spots of light on the surface of the water. But the composition of forms and light works. I'm grateful to her father for giving her (and us) these opportunities. I'm beginning to have more confidence that she is actually good at this. It's good to see her working with something other than her father's art.

[​IMG]

Caption:

池の鯉 Carp in the pond
    Photo: Memi Kakizaki
    Copyright ©️JUNICHI KAKIZAKI HANA OFFICE+PEALab. All Rights Reserved. [...]

I note that the copyright belongs to Kakizaki-sensei's companies. I expect Memi to be going to college in April, or else going to study a bit overseas, but for the moment maybe she is acting like an assistant to her father. Or maybe she wants to continue like that, in an easy family environment, but doing actual art.

EDIT: I see now a new interview with Hirate-san, in which she says that her current interest is going to art galleries and looking at art. I have wondered before how close Memi and Yurina still are, or even if Memi moved in with her (to save money, lol). If anyone might lead Techi to art galleries, it would be Memi.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  3. ukifune

ukifune Upcoming Girls

A long documentary about Hiragana/Hinata will be released in theatres across Japan, and a wonderful 45-minute preview has appeared on Japanese TV. Here it is from YouTube, with broadcast ads:

Like Japanese Memi fans, I was surprised and delighted to see a lot of her in the feature. The show makes clear how interesting and attractive she is, as a person. Her weeping in the early days when she felt her performance wasn't good enough. Her playing around with Kumi. Her reaction to her broken wrist. Her unhappiness with the name-change. And it appears from previews of the rest of the show that they will deal directly with her graduation, at least to some extent.

In any case, no-one should miss this, no matter whom they support. The long preview deals most with Hiragana, and with the 1gens, although there is lots of good footage of the 2gens, too.

Here are two photos that seem to me to embody why I liked her so much. She was being interviewed just after the name-change, when she had wept in desolation. By the time of the interview, she had recovered, but she did not hide her feelings when she was asked about the change:

[​IMG]

"Because my feelings for Hiragana Keyaki were so strong..."

[​IMG]

"...honestly, it doesn't make me happy."

Memi never seemed to lie, at least about her own feelings. I think this may be one reason she was not as suited to being an idol as people say she was.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. sakutan

sakutan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sakuratan
    I just hate to see what we all thought. The name change might've been one of the final nails in the coffin.. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ukifune

ukifune Upcoming Girls

Memi's father, artist Kakizaki Junichi 柿崎順一, has happily announced in his Facebook and Twitter that he is in Paris for his second art show there. This one will be in the same little gallery where he held his first show, in 2011. Here's the poster:

[​IMG]

The photo is from the first show, Petit Monstres des Fleurs de Paris (~"Little Flower-Monsters of Paris"), and the new show takes the same name. The photo is from the first show, and is by by his friend and collaborator, photographer Joji Okamoto. Here are some of Okamoto-san's photos from the first show, and of other works by Kakizaki. One thing they did together was a show of flowers from the area irradiated after the Fukushima nuclear disaster. Since much of Kakizaki's art is perishable, photography of it is very important.

The show will start on 13 March, and he will be creating and installing it until the 15th, the date of the opening event. He works with flowers and other natural materials, and does a lot of what could be called "performance art." He says he will be at the gallery most of the time, and invites people to come and meet him. He makes no mention of Memi.

For anyone who might want to go, the Galerie des 26 Chaises ("26 Chairs Gallery") is east of Montmartre, in the Barbès/Goutte d'Or area of the 18th arrondissement, between the Barbès-Rochechouart and Château Rouge metro stations.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ukifune

ukifune Upcoming Girls

Papa has posted more info about his opening, and apparently his own photographer Joji Okamoto is already there, so that makes it even less likely Memi will be there (and I'm not big on air travel these days, anyway).

Here's more info about the opening, which will feature a jazz trio, a dancer, and Kakizaki himself orchestrating things. They're calling the event "A Big Monster Appears in Paris: Jun'ichi Kakizaki". I'll put the notice (mainly in French) in this spoiler:
    Jun'ichi Kakizaki + Nobuyoshi Asai
    Avec la dissonance de la Danse et de L'Art, avec le Son d'un Trio: Antonin Gerbal, Pierre-Antoine Badaroux, Bertrand Denzler

────────
    Vernissage: Un grand monstre apparaît à Paris -
    JUN'ICHI KAKIZAKI Exposition
    ヴェルニサージュ: 大怪獣パリに現る ─ 柿崎順一 展

Nous fêterons l'ouverture de l'exposition personnelle de JUN'ICHI KAKIZAKI "PETITS MONSTRES DES FLEURS DE PARIS Ⅱ" et réaliserons un vernisage. Profitez de la performance de Junichi Kakizaki et des sons des membres d'Umlaut Paris: Antonin Gerbal, Pierre-Antoine Badaroux et Bertrand Dentzler!

Vernissage: Un grand monstre apparaît à Paris -
    JUN'ICHI KAKIZAKI Exposition

Junichi Kakizaki (Artiste)
    Nobuyoshi Asai (Danseur/Chorégraphe)
    Antonin Gerbal (Musicien/Batteur)
    Pierre-Antoine Badaroux (Musicien/Saxophoniste)
    Bertrand Denzler (Musicien/Saxophoniste)

March 15 (Sun) 7:00 p.m.-

Galerie les 26 chaises
    47 rue Polonceau 75018 Paris

Entrée libre

Cooperation with Umlaut Paris
    Organization with Galerie les 26 chaises
    Support by naonakamura

• Like Like x 1
  7. ukifune

ukifune Upcoming Girls

This is not about Memi, who apparently did not go to Paris with her father, but about Kakizaki Junichi's powerful, artistic, dangerous, and faintly ridiculous adventure there. He went to Paris, he says, because he was invited to see the final performance of Japanese dancer Nobuyoshi Asai in a piece called Vessel. He put together a show of his own, although barely recovered from his own heart operation, and flew off into the teeth of COVID's arrival there. He was creating his work as the exhibit progressed, and did have the vernissage (opening party) but lockdown for COVID ended his show before it was scheduled to end, and cancelled the dance performance he went there to see. Dancer Asai expressed admiration for Junichi-san, getting up from his sickbed to come and see his show, and also for the fiery intensity with which he created his strange art in the Bois de Vincennes, a forest park on the edge of Paris.

I have added thumbnails of photos from Kakizaki's Facebook: of the outside of the gallery where he held his show; of nearby Montmartre; of the vernissage, with Asai-san dancing and Kakizaki-san participating in the music; and shots by Asai-an of Kakizaki creating his nature art in the forest.

In his latest post, Kakizaki is in Shinjuku and announces his return to Japan. He says he was forced out of his hotel in Montmartre, and that there was chaos at De Gaulle airport, but he thanks staff from the Japanese embassy for helping him get home. Now sit tight and don't let Memi visit, Junichi-san!

Not many of us grew up with a father like this.

89639139_3264786826894085_2012644738879979520_n.jpg 89846012_2662379093811395_9188942376419196928_n.jpg 84388481_3278859372153497_3348651671294050304_n.jpg 90554445_3278897625483005_8627441987345186816_n.jpg 90442304_3278859108820190_4469263773315629056_n.jpg 89875976_2667228146659823_6090602657561444352_o.jpg 90050853_2667231739992797_5948561092580999168_o.jpg 90257437_2667290753320229_7491123469095010304_o50.jpg 89922334_2667232743326030_2570789667574120448_o50.jpg 90309558_2667289286653709_5339484766653644800_o50.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. piduai

piduai Kenkyuusei

What we all suspected. Good for her!

9. ukifune

ukifune Upcoming Girls

Kakizaki Junichi's Facebook has been silent for a week, since he returned from Paris. But for him it has been an eventful week. He says he has complicated feelings. He was tested for COVID and found not to have it. He expresses the hope that Tokyo will not repeat the terrible COVID situation in Paris. And he posts an interview from today's Nihon Keizai Shinbun (a major newspaper, focusing on business, but also covering the arts) in which he talks about parents and children, and gives us a bit of info about what Memi is doing.

He talks mainly about his father and himself. His father was originally a salaryman, but in the strong economy of those days, he was able to start a business selling floral arrangements, and eventually left his job to found a florist shop. Junichi helped out at the shop and was always interested in floral art. At one point, while he was at horticultural college in Tokyo, his father called him back to Nagano to watch them make a commercial featuring a set made by the florist shop. He spent time with the art director from Tokyo and started to have ambitions toward a larger world.

His father did not push him to take over the florist shop, but encouraged him to go in the direction he himself chose. His father said he was like a space alien to him, and should go for the life in a greater world that he wanted. He said his father never praised his work or expressed any opinion about it, but after his father died, in 2009, he found out from his father's friends that he had brought a book of photos of Junichi's work to show them, and expressed his pride in him. This made Junichi very happy.

Then Junichi mentions his own two daughters, and says what they are doing. One daughter is studying marine biology and museology. The other daughter, after being active as a singer, is now aiming for the world of art. They also are like aliens to him. He tries hard not to impose his own ideas on them, wanting to just quietly watch over them as they keep running ahead.

His publishing of some of Memi's photos now makes even more sense. Perhaps she is now about to start studying photography, or art in general. Or even to start work as a photographer or photographer's assistant. Or work in a gallery. In any case, she is entering the world of art.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: I should add that I'm not sure whether his father using the term "alien" means "totally unlike me", or "a citizen of a larger world."

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020 at 11:18 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Dill

Dill Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Twitter:
    Dill46_48
    Wonderful post @ukifune
    I enjoyed reading about Kakizakì senior and his father and I can't help but think their way of living, following their dreams and interests, is also a big part of who Memi is.
    She may looked like the perfect idols (to me) but she also always had this strong will that simply couldn't be bend nor broken.

Hopefully we'll hear about her art work soon