Single Sakurazaka46 6th Single [Start over!] (2023/06/28)

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 News & Releases' started by FlowingColors, May 24, 2023.

1. miwa

miwa Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Mirei
    Really happy about the sale spike, as expected from irl handshakes. Also nice to see a dance practice finally being uploaded.

That said I listened to the single in full earlier today and I think it's their weakest. None of the b sides stand out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    I have still to listen the new songs, but here the link for the Dance Practice.

if the video does not show watch the video here
    I'm an happy buddy right now

Edit:
    It will take a while for me to get invested in those last songs; like @miwa said, no b-side stand out this time, but I honestly don't mind it.. this single is already qualitatively high.
    (And Karin jacket's cover looks better and better every time I see it)

I'm quite curious about Anthem Time though... so far it feels like a weird mix between AKB, Nogi and Silent Siren, so of course I like it very much lol
    so much I may place it up there on my personal ranking with Seifuku to taiyou and Abbunakashii Keikaku someday

Can't wait to see it performed this summer

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Thank you so much. This is a breath of fresh air. For me, this is an order of magnitude better than the MV, or any TV performance so far, for seeing the choreo and the dancing clearly. The group is so good. But Karin's easy grace is unique.

I hope S&F continue with this practice, providing the "dance version" of songs, which is something I have enjoyed with other groups, particularly early Nogi. In fact, I'd like several of these simple videos, emphasizing near and far views and longer takes. I find most TV and MV versions frustrating because they go for tight views and quick cuts, so you get too little sense of the dancing, or even of the members.

Good news continues on the disk sales front. Second day (Wednesday) Oricon sales were 42,441. This is higher than any Sakurazaka single except the first one, and in the range of Futari Saison and Fukyouwaon. It's about the same as recent Hinata second days, but much less than recent Nogi singles, except for the most recent, Hito wa Yume, which is just slightly higher than Start Over.

For various good reasons too complicated to get into (mainly who and what is counted and how), the industry now considers Billboard a better indication of true sales than Oricon. But since we have years of Oricon records handy, they provide good comparisons.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Philosophy Senpai

Philosophy Senpai Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    In this Dance Practice video I can't help but focus on the dynamic and crisp style of Akipo. Focus on her and you'll see what I mean.

However: How can you NOT like the jazzy "Kaze no Oto"???

5. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    I think there's a difference between "not liking" something and thinking it's not a strong song.
    No matter the personal truth someone tries to sell about Keyaki every single time, we are used to have b-sides and coupling songs strong as mains (if not stronger) since then.
    Sakura is giving us amazing songs, amazing MVs, amazing new gens, european performances, content we never had and so on... having 3 songs that feel a bit weak is not the end of the world for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    Of course it's all a matter of taste, so, with this in mind, I consider "Kaze no Oto" as strong as the A and B sides. It's already among my very top list.

BTW I watched today Start Over performance at the 2023 TV Tokyo Ongakusai (I guess it was a short version as it was slightly less than 3 minutes) together with songs by the other Sakamichi and AKB. I know I'm biased but our girls had the most striking presense (Hinatas were also very cute indeed).

7. watash.Iwa

watash.Iwa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    小林由依
    This is a really good number. Especially since JP buddies are reporting that it has been hard to find the CDs for sale since it is already out of stock in many big stores. Type B seems to be the most popular and hardest to find.

8. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Sales for Thursday, 18,955 disks (Oricon). Once again, this is about what Keyaki had for Futari Saison (17,179). It is also the highest Thursday total Sakurazaka46 has ever had. At 413,780 total so far, this is already the best sales week Sakurazaka has ever had. (See Stage48 Oricon charts)

Nogi remains higher (almost 24K for Hito wa Yume). But StaOba is in the same ballpark as Hinatazaka46 (18.9K and 19.1K for the last two releases).

Keyaki's next release after Saison was Fukyouwaon, which had a 57K Thursday. I hope this release is the springboard for a similar climb, though disk sales numbers are unlikely to get as high in the age of streaming.

@Philosophy Senpai -- Thanks for directing my attention to Akipo. Sharp and interesting. I was surprised to realize she spent a fair amount of time in front, in particular in a front trio with Rena and Oozono. In general, she's a member I have always liked and enjoyed -- though not previously for her dancing. Yet another member whose relative lack of popularity I don't understand.

I also noticed Fuu-chan at centre for a time. Clearly one of the best dancers in the group, and probably the 1-2 gens' "dance leader". Though I recall comparing her with Mon and thinking she pushed movements too far, beyond complete control. This is both a bit off-topic and heresy, but I think Shizuki may now be technically the best dancer Keyaki/Sakura has ever had (succeeding Mon). Karin is still the most graceful, however, in my opinion.

EDIT: It used to be normal for Keyaki and Sakura to appear on the important Music Station TV show at the time of every release. This was one of the things that they lost in their down period. But Sakurazaka is now on the list for next Friday's show, 7 July. Now I'm hoping for a return to the annual New Year's Kouhaku extravaganza. One more hit in the fall should do it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

Number of sales don't always correlate with what is generally perceived as a good/great song. None of the songs in this 6th single equate, much less surpass, Futari Saison, regardless of sales numbers. Futari Saison has this effect where you feel "elevated" to another time and place (yes, hard to describe) when you listen to it, something which is not present in the Saku discography. The (frantic) choreography has been very good, but the music simply is not up to par with it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  10. miwa

miwa Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Mirei
    Disagree about the music. While Keyaki had great A-sides, I don't think they had a single where all the songs were good (the closest I can think of is Fukyouwaon). Samidareyo, as a full single, is probably the best thing Keyaki/Sakura released. All the B sides are great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    A nice reaction and analysis on the composition of Start Over in the following video...

The chords part was quite obvious to me, however my weak japanese did not help me to understand what they say about Fuu-chan at 6:48 to 7:00. If a fellow Japanese forum dweller could explain to me お願いします。ありがとうございます。

12. lovetrip

lovetrip Kenkyuusei

they point out that fuyuka is right below where karin sits on the human-platform, and call her something along the lines of "the pillar/foundation that sakurazaka is built on", referencing episodes 90-92 of sokosaku where her and matsuri tried to balance hikaru on their knees (?) without ringing the bell, lol. the narration called fuyuka the 土台/foundation of the trio.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

As for sales, Friday was another good day, with sales of 10,677, for a running total of 424,457. This is Sakurazaka's best Friday ever, and more even than the most recent Nogi single's Friday. (But you have to go all the way back to Harujion no Saku Koro to find another Nogi Friday that low.) It's also higher than the last three Hinatazaka singles. Apologies to fans of those groups, but this is so new and remarkable that I can't help feeling thrilled.

Once again, you have to go all the way back to Futari Saison to find a Keyakizaka single this low, however. Of course sales have only a tangential relation to quality. Futari Saison is one of my very favourite Keyakizaka songs, whatever its sales. Keyaki sales basically grew enormously, single by single, as the group grew and became more known...up to the time of Garasu wo Ware. After that, sales started falling. Futari Saison was one of the foundations of Keyaki's growing popularity. (Stage48 Oricon sales page.)

@Philosophy Senpai -- Fortunately for me, they provide quite a bit of written subtitle for their discussions in that analysis. What they say about Fuu-chan is that when the members form a sort of hill for Karin to climb, it is Fuu-chan who is directly beneath her, like a foundation. They say that Fuu-chan has played that kind of foundational role right from the time of Keyaki. They use the word "shibui," which means (from a dictionary) "...austere; elegant (and unobtrusive); refined; quiet (and simple); sober; sombre; subdued; tasteful (in a quiet way); understated..." They also use the word "kakkoii," which means "cool, stylish" and kind of strong, impressive. (Thanks to @lovetrip for actually understanding what they were saying.)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    Thank you both... I like so much that they said something good for my beloved selfless queen...

15. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Saturday disk sales, via Oricon, 8533 units. This is the first day that sales have not been a Sakurazaka record. Slightly higher than Sakurazuki, but lower than all previous Sakura singles. Once again, very similar daily number -- and overall number -- to Futari Saison.

Slightly higher than the last two Hinata singles, but lower than all their previous singles. Higher than the most recent Nogi single, but lower than any other back to around Harujion.

I am hopeful that their appearance on Music Station next Friday will extend the period of significant sales. Total so far 432,990, Sakura's biggest first week ever.

• Like Like x 2
  16. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    "The secrets behind the filming of the music video for their new song 'Start over!'" (from JOYSOUND):

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rev4

Rev4 Member

Isshun no uma
    Momentary horse

Composition: Kensuke Kawahara (Behind Moumorihe kaerouka?)

Wow...

no one knows forever
    we too will be forgotten

feel happy
    even this moment
    It's a distant vague memory

you become a horse for a moment
    unnoticed
    (You're gonna be a horse and go run faster than anything)
    I'll dance with all my might, with my emotions (Run through!)
    let me witness the legend

Even if nothing remains in my memory
    if it's good now, that's fine

Don't stop (wow...)
    As long as I believe (wow...)
    In the light (wow...)
    Go away (wow...)

Become a horse that will be talked about someday
    When I saw a miracle
    (I happened to meet you there sheer serendipity)
    As much as I shed beautiful sweat (Like the wind)
    Powerfully and faster than anyone else...

keep waiting for such a future
    don't worry about your surroundings
    you go your own way
    everyone dreams

I'll dance with all my might, with my emotions (Run through!)
    let me witness the legend

Wow...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rev4

Rev4 Member

Anthem time

Composition: Masaki Honda (Who is this guy? Somebody who knows let us know)

It's anthem time

Who do you like (Who do you like)
    It doesn't matter (It doesn't matter)
    Blooming flowers (blooming flowers)
    Is it something I can choose (Is it something I can choose)
    not just one
    we are all doing our best
    I support the flowers

where the light hits
    Some places don't hit
    try hard to live
    beauty

It's anthem time
    As far as my voice goes, let's sing
    my thoughts for you
    so as to convey
    Someday that sweat
    until the flower blooms
    let's keep shining
    It's anthem time
    Raise your fist with one heart!
    Just that alone will give me courage
    from the other side of the stage
    see clearly
    wind, sun and rain
    I want to raise you

Any flower (any flower)
    It's each one (it's each one)
    Until the buds come out (until the buds come out)
    The month and day are different (the month and day are different)
    don't compare yourself to others
    aren't you
    someday at my own pace
    Recognize

Desperate is what matters
    living in a trance
    do what you want
    A life without regrets...

Go anthem time!
    Let's fold our shoulders and sing
    Let's be friends who don't show off
    Good place Bad place
    all exposed
    I want to be friends

Go anthem time
    Rumble the floor and get the rhythm!
    Let your message resonate
    venue voltage
    to the climax
    that there was such a member
    remember me

You are still nothing but a seed
    Buds and buds
    I'll make a big flower bloom
    Believe
    Until the distant day when I graduate someday
    let me see everything

It's anthem time
    As far as my voice goes, let's sing
    my thoughts for you
    so as to convey
    Someday that sweat
    until the flower blooms
    let's keep shining

It's anthem time
    Raise your fist with one heart!
    That alone will give me courage
    from the other side of the stage
    see clearly
    wind, sun and rain
    I want to raise you

• Like Like x 1
  19. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    Wonderful lyrics both of them... The sweet melancholy emanating from both (especially from isshun no uma) is unbearable...

20. ijkm

ijkm Kenkyuusei

Masaki Honda wrote Sentou Rhapsody from Nogi and Shizen Juutai from NGT48.