Stage48, Fitness, Health and You!

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by 55Cyanides, May 10, 2011.

1. 55Cyanides

55Cyanides Kenkyuusei

For a while now, we have had many topics that grace this wonderful community. For almost 4 years, I have known a little bit of the many members: video games being played, languages that are spoken, rants and raves, occupation or jobs being worked, the genders, favorite members, and other such things that has made this community a tight-knit group of people. However, I haven't seen a thread in regard to this topic, which I believe is important in one's life.

As we grow older/younger/up, one thing that will increase in priority is health. As for me, my journey on health is on the path of fitness and exercise; anyone who knows me via facebook, twitter, or various other ways of communication knows that. However, exercise is not the only thing that leads to a healthy lifestyle; eating is another thing.

So my question to ya'll here: what method(s) do you undergo to promote a healthy lifestyle? Is it the foods you eat? Is it exercise you perform on a good routine? Do you have other creative ways that you think will benefit the community here? We would surely love to hear it!

2. DSQ

DSQ Kenkyuusei

For me? Althought my diet could be more varied I only eat when hungry, I think it is important to be energysed for the day (Everyone eat breakfat okay?) but don't force yourself to have a big lunch if you arn't hungry for it.

Also, I live 10mins from uni and 20 mins from the station/town so I walk everywhere.

As for sports, I used to Fence once a week. But not so much now :D

3. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    I used to go to the gym a couple of times a week and was vaguely healthy. After I moved out and started going to uni, not so much :fp: I didn't realise it at first but living by yourself is terrible, there's nobody around to guilt or police what you eat or stop you from sitting around on the couch all day :XD:

4. MoeKare

MoeKare Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    Twitter:
    moekare_100
    Oh nice thread btw :inlove:
    Well, first of all I like doing sport, especially basket ball.
    I am used to do this when I was in senior high school, and now it could be said I never do this again since.
    [shake]
    and I think I have run a healthy life beside doing sport :hehe:
    because I am a vegetarian.. I don't eat meat, eggs, and whatever which are made from meat. :XD:
    Some people pity me because All I can eat are just vegetables, and so what?? I am okay with that..
    but I dont like vegetable juices. :^^;:
    Hmm... maybe in this forum, just few people who are vegetarian, or maybe no one............... :p

5. hikki

hikki Kenkyuusei

Exercise, I suppose...

I go through the P90X program constantly, at least 5 sessions a week (worked out with Tony Horton a few months ago... cool guy). On top of that, I go to random things like water aerobics, zumba, or kickbox aerobics to double up on workouts. I'll jog from time to time, and hop on my eliptical from time to time.

But, everything else is a mess... I almost never eat breakfast because I'm so busy. Lunch is at random times (from 11am to 3pm)... and I'm often not home until 9pm, so dinner is way too late.

On top of that, I maybe get anywhere from 2-5 hrs of sleep each night, so my lifestyle is pretty jacked up.

6. pinkbohemia

pinkbohemia Member

I eat extremely healthy-- mostly fruits & vegetables with beans & other sources of protein riddled in between. I'm a vegetarian, as well. I go to the gym five times a week & run for three miles twice a week. I'd say I lead a pretty healthy lifestyle.

7. violetbutterfly

violetbutterfly Kenkyuusei

I used to go to the gym fairly frequently as well as playing ultimate 4 times a week. But back in september I tore my acl so I've not been able to do much since then. The gym is out of the question and so are most sports at least until november. Which is sad because I love my sports it puts me in such a good mood. :(
    So past rehab once a week I'm not really getting any exercise apart from walking to lectures.

Because of my forced sedentary lifestyle I've started to put on the pounds. I've never been much of a healthy eater and usually relied on activity to keep my weight down. Now I've had to switch to healthier options: fruit instead of chips and chocolate for snacks for instance :(
    Was awful to begin with, but I've found I'm a pretty good cook so I've been able to embrace the healthy eating thing pretty well. Who knows it might stick after I'm better! :awesome:

8. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    if you do weight training you should be doing this if you haven't already:
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... ength_Wiki

thanks to that...
    squat 250lb
    bench 135lb
    deadlift 295lb
    overhead press 105lb
    power clean 140lb

i also don't look like i weight train at all! kinda. when i was really into it people were like "wow! you got buff! how much do you curl?!" and i never trained my arms at all.

9. 55Cyanides

55Cyanides Kenkyuusei

Great responses so far!

-----------------------

@DSQ

One of the beauties of going to University, at least for me, is it forces you to choose walking as your main method of transportation. Especially on a hot day, you get to sweat and burn off calories! Always made sure I carried a bottle of water with me! Even now, since I live in an apartment off-campus, I still walk! Right now, the campus gym is about a 15 minute walk, which I pretty much trek everyday!

@Mr. Waffle

I can understand your feelings about it. Sometimes, living with roommates helps motivate! Right now, me and one of my roommates are undergoing the p90x regiment, finishing up on the second of three phases. However, I'm pretty sure my three roommates do not police me about what I eat! Pizza, Fast Food, etc. Haha!

@MoeKare

Basketball is one of the sports I picked up as a freshman in college (in high school, it was tennis, since I was playing in a high spot in the varsity squad for all 4 years). One thing I should do though is start picking up on my vegetable intake; it's pretty messed up when I say that I eat my vegetables from fast food (you know, tomatoes and lettuce in a Big Mac haha!). The only thing I come close to drinking vegetable juice is trying those V8 Fusion, which ironically, is only fruit! Now I was wondering, do you try meat substitutes like tofu?

@Hikki

I totally know where you are coming from with this. Right now, I am doing p90x (2nd phase), along with RevAbs (2nd phase), Insanity (1st phase once again) and various training (such as weight, vertical leaps and martial arts). I really do not have a set schedule on eating. Right now, my sleep ranges anywhere from 1 to 7 am, and my wake up time is anywhere from 11am to 3 pm. No worries!

@pinkbohemia
    That's a very good lifestyle you have! You should chat with MoeKare, a fellow vegetarian! I was wondering, do you try meat substitutes like tofu?

@violetbutterfly

Again, I totally know how you feel. In January of 2007, I torn my ACL, getting surgery in the summer of 2007. Because of that, I took a year off of college, due to physical therapy and making sure I am back to full strength. The first 2-3 weeks are the worst, just because of the stretches. The first agenda after surgery is to make sure you can bend your knee to 90 degrees (picture your knee like a rusty door hinge that needs WD40 to make it move again).

Have you been going under physical therapy? How is it going so far? Let me know!

@joooooooooe

Thank you for the link! As a person who has been going under Pound for Pound strength, this is something useful. In return, I'm going to post a link that may prove useful as well!

http://stronglifts.com/

Undergoing weight training for 5.5 years now (freshman in college), I have been going through many different types of weight training which ranges from: getting muscle, getting bigger, getting stronger, until finally I set my goal on just pound for pound strength.

Reading articles, you can do exercises that targets multiple muscles. For example, I believe that doing chin-ups not only works your back, but also your biceps!

---------------------------

Loving the amount of responses so far, let's keep it up! Anymore suggestions or questions, feel free to post it up here!

10. pinkbohemia

pinkbohemia Member

I do, actually. I adore tofu! It's not for everybody, though. One of my friends, who is also a vegetarian, dislikes tofu because of the texture. I understand where she's coming from, but I love it. It's really good in stir-fries.

11. Hikari Yairi

Hikari Yairi Kenkyuusei

I'm... pretty sedentary D: i'm like... 15 hours a day in the computer in non school days, and in school days... 10 hours? XDDD
    Despite of that, I play soccer sometimes...(once a week, or twice bah)

And eat as i like...
    But never been fat XD

I don't think i'm being healthy but... im just too lazy D:

12. MoeKare

MoeKare Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    nishinonanase
    Twitter:
    moekare_100
    Hueekk.. I dont like vegetable juices.. :hmm:
    and yeah, I like Tofu.. :blush: and also sometimes my mother buy me something like meat but not the real one.... The colour, the texture, the shape, are just as same as the real.! :XD:
    but maybe the taste is lil bit different :^^;:
    But I am enjoying it pretty much .. :^O^:

13. TomoChiyuu

TomoChiyuu Kenkyuusei

i'm not that fit and don't eat too healthy compared to everyone else...you guys all make me want to become a better person rather than an lazy unfit hamster = 3=

14. maxaroni

maxaroni Kenkyuusei

I basically just stopped snacking completely when I started at university, and I used to swim quite a bit.

Now I just don't eat as much and walk a lot. I want to swim more, but the pools aren't open yet so. . . lol

15. joooooooooe

joooooooooe Member Retired Staff

Twitter:
    OsakaJooooooooe
    imo, do one or the other, never mix programs. i chose starting strength. because i'm very lazy, i never seem to get off the program, but i still make progress.

still, you're lucky since you're a freshman in college. i didn't learn about "real" weight training until after i graduated, at which point i really wished i could've used the university gym instead of the crappy 24-hour-fitness gym. (although i built my own gym now, which is super awesome...)

so yea, do slifts or do ss. i prefer ss because it's easier, it gets the job done, it was there way before slifts, it has power cleans, and it's very measurable. =) but i'm sure either one works just as fine since effort counts more than fine-tuning at the beginning.

16. violetbutterfly

Oh it's nice to see somebody who's been through the same as me!! I'm currently 8 weeks post op and physical therapy is going slowly :( I missed out on 3 weeks of it because I had to change from my hospital in my hometown to a hospital where I go to university. Luckily the time frame for the hospital near university is slower than at home so it doesn't matter that I'm a little behind.
    I've got almost full ROM on it but I'm still finding things like getting downstairs really hard. I'm also getting pain after walking around for too long. But it seems to be getting better day by day!

Have you got any advice for the rehab? How long until you were able to do things again (like jogging?) I'm not too sure about when I can do that, I only know that it's going to be December before I can compete in sports again :(

17. 55Cyanides

55Cyanides Kenkyuusei

I believe I started jogging about 7 weeks in; I had physical therapy 3 times a week, about an hour session, and would usually end with being hooked up to a STIM machine that fires up the muscles in my quads.

I remember writing some stuff about it a while back on my blog, about some exercises I do everyday.
    http://www.hello-online.org/index.php?/blog/163/entry-1373-everyday-is-exercise-day/

Another thing that may help, if you get cleared for it of course, is start using an exercise bike (i used to warm up with it for 10-15 minutes before every session, light of course) and/or use an elliptical machine as it takes less impact on your joints instead of jogging. You should talk to your physical therapist of course to see what's the best course of action.

I hope this helps!

18. violetbutterfly

^ I guess I'm in the wrong country for rehab.I only have an hour a week and I'm not allowed to jog yet. It's going really slowly at the moment :/
    I'm using the bike right now and doing leg presses. I hope I can jog soon though. I'm hating not being able to do much cardio, it's all squatting and calf raises right now :/ It's been hard to fit in the gym with all the papers and exams I've got at the moment/

How's your movement now compared to how it was? Is there much difference?

19. chiyuki

chiyuki Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    sashihararino
    I can eat pretty healthy sometimes. I've only been drinking water this year (gave up on juices/soda/any other liquids that's not water). Well, sometimes, I'll have a cup or two of juice every few weeks. I used to only drink orange juice, haha. But now, I'm all about (bottled) water! As for eating, my parents really brainwashed me into telling me that rice is really bad for you (has a lot of calories). I don't know why they didn't figure that out a long time ago...? Haha, but I love rice. x: I have been eating it less, though. I love certain vegetables like onions and carrots... I only liked it cooked, though, haha.

All I have been doing lately is eating and sitting in front of the computer everyday (which is bad, I know). I took two P.E. classes (dance and pilates) this past semester for school, but I'm not sure that even helped? I try to dance every now and then (well, I usually do... that's pretty much my exercise, haha).

My BMI is "perfect," though. Well, right in the middle. I mean, I shouldn't gain or lose anything. i still want to lose, though

I don't think I've ever really tried any diets or anything? I mean, all I do is just eat less or don't eat after 7pm. And it helps. I've attempted exercising in my room (watching pilates videos on youtube or something, haha), but I can never gain productive habits, aha. Sadly, the only thing I can't eat less of is sweets. I LOVE ANYTHING SWEET. I can eat cake all day. I love cookies, cupcakes, donuts, anything sweet. :drool: LOL

20. Ryder Blade

Ryder Blade Kenkyuusei

I'm somewhat healthy I guess...xD? I don't really look at what I eat / make some schedule about how many calories etc. to eat though o_O I just eat whatever I want and whenever I want haha. I don't drink sodas often though,maybe a can every few months. I usually drink 2-3 liters of water a day unlike most of my friends who at most drink only .5L a day.

Uh I'm a Junior right now in high school so since I've already completed my PE credits (2 years - Freshman/Sophomore year) my only exercise is a half hour or so of badminton during lunch every Tuesday and Thursday. I'll probably start working out at the gym once I get my license (next year ;_;) and maybe a job. Otherwise, I'll probably just wait til I get to college to go to the gym. xD

I think the funny thing about me though is that unlike most people/girls my age who want to all lose weight, I want to actually gain weight since muscle > fat. xD I'm not saying that I want to be like all muscular though since buff girls freak me out imo. o_O What I want is to be lean. :3