Taniguchi Airi / 3rd generation

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 Members' started by humbal, Jan 14, 2023.

1. Philosophy Senpai

Philosophy Senpai Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    @Rev4 First of all I was amazed by how observant you were to notice the difference in sleeve lines... Also the concept of sea is OK for me but I can't see how they could manage to "tie it" with the cherry blossoms.

But regarding the departure from the Keyaki worldview, and although we all had agreed not to bring back the old discussion, it is evidently established so far that these days, their mood, concept and all, have gone by with no return. I just have to comment on two things here: in my humble opinion Hirate was a happy teenager with super-duper charisma AND ambition strong enough to make her assume the persona you have described in a most professional way. The fact that in the process she was completely broken (with the helping hand of a short-sighted management) just added to the mix. But we should never forget that it was this "urban legend" of darkness and rebellious youth that made the green-and-black group what it was. And this leads me to the second point: the white-and-pink group should NOT go Hinatazakaway. It must go their way. We all have super expectations from the 3rd gen, but lets not act as if this gen is the messiah that descended upon this world to save Sakurazaka. If we set ourselves (and management joins the fray) into an over-joyous enthusiasm for an optimistic worldview, we risk ending in having a group that is nothing but a "me-too" product.

Personally I like the idea that a bunch of angry rebellious young girls have grown to become gorgeous, overconfident, dynamic young ladies, with a lot of elitism and a bit of sexiness in the mix that are expressing themselves with songs and dances more complicated that the average idolish (even is some are frenetic - but only some). Something that is not Hinata nor Nogi.

And at the end, it is the group with this past the one that (at least most) 3rd gens were dreaming of joining, this group that had inspired them. They look strong. So what remains to do is to hope and see them guide Sakurazaka away from the past but also away from the mainstream idol concept.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

Totally agree. We don't want another me-too group, or another Hinata/Nogi, 3rd gen or not. Keyaki's performances, music and lyrics were always considered "artsy". That was its niche. I hope it also becomes Sakurazaka's niche, and the theme of course won't be revolving about rebellious young girls, but about those girls that have grown as Philosophy Senpai so eloquently described, and moved on to a different phase in their lives.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rev4

Rev4 Member

@Philosophy Senpai Cherry blossom is not a theme nor was Keyaki tree a theme for Keyakizaka. But Takahiro has been bullish on the sea theme since hospitality party. The uniform they are wearing must have been authorized by Akimoto's approval.

The sea waves in the dance track stage are the symbol of rebirth and new beginnings. Every year when sakura tree bloom it's a new beginning when a new life starts. That's what sea theme is all about in symbolism. It's hope and faith that are some of the emotions of optimism. The way to a successful future.

Optimistic worldview is not forced, it's the mental attitude on members why the worldview have to change. Everything you now brought up has been a big problem for Sakurazaka to evolve. They will never get out of this hole if the worldview never change and move on from Keyakizaka lyrics.

The worldview really fits a member like Airi. There is for a reason why Akimoto picked these members and gave them Natsuno Chikamichi that is a departure from what Sakurazaka has produced so far. Even Konno-san said in the documentary they will wait and see what kind of song 3rd gen can make for them. Sony wants to move on from Keyakizaka and dissolve W-Keyaki Fes backs the desire of Sony to do so.

I understand many Keyaki fans are afraid of change and make mainstream idol fear claims. I wouldn't be worried about that regards to their uniform. Dance track stage still shows they are about artistic performance just not being a pessimist amymore. Their uniform is better than the seniors' uniform. I have seen many from Sakurazaka's J-fandom who wish this confusion to end and I'm with them. Matsuri as captain seems to fit the optimistic worldview better with how she is.

Plus it's about time Sakurazaka promotes their group at outdoor festivals. This group hasn't been doing that since Keyakizaka. TIF since 2017. Rock in Japan since 2019. No wonder Sakurazaka is galning fans at a slow pace on youtube channel compared to other groups (including Sashihara's groups).

I think Airi and 3rd gen will help the group if they perform on Smile Garden Stage at TIF 2023. They need to start from the bottom again. Back to basics. 1st gen in Keyakizaka experienced it in 2016. It's symbolic for every group to perform on this stage to gain fans or new fans (in Sakurazaka's case). For many groups have their journey begun on this stage.

Airi has a big future and I want Sony to utilize her skill and ability. She will not shine in formation songs it will be through solo songs her skill and ability will come out. This girl shines optimism on daily basis. She does not seem to be afraid of having ambitions. Confidently perform Mugon no Uchuu on guitar in front of 20000 fans in two days. Doing Joyman jokes on her first appearance in SokoSaku without feeling nervous or any pressure.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    I get what you're trying to say @Rev4 and I'm almost fully with you. I count myself as a Keyaki AND a Sakura fan and I'm not afraid of change. On the contrary I want this "confusion" to end and I'm sure it will, as soon as the last 1st gen "passes beyond the veil of idolhood".

I'm just afraid of Hinata/Nogi-zation... Not that I dislike these groups, on the contrary. But I want Sakurazaka to stand on their own niche and I would dare add, a niche that offers quality rather than quantity, if you see what I mean.

And just to mention our kind host in this corner of the forums, Airi is at the forefront of a "new wave". By the way I see in her not only optimism but very subtle and undeveloped huyes of stoicism and some philosophical attitude hidden in this playfulness. So does Reina the inspired writer, so does my oshi Miu the enigmatic stoic and also Yuzuki the mature beauty and Riko the stubborn fighter. And these subtle tones of blue (or even dark blue) may dilute a sea of pink that does not make me feel so at ease (if you see what I mean). Thankfully, so far, it is exactly those frenetic songs and dances that make me be at rest, but any change towards blue seas is more than welcome (I use the notions of blue-ocean and red-ocean in their original marketing context).

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

That "sea of pink" reminds me of that onerous "let's make everything obnoxiously pink to make people forget about Keyaki and remind them we are a girly group now" on the first episodes of Sokosaku. Thank goodness management came back to their senses and all that eye-hurting pinkiness was toned down from the Sokosaku sets.

Less Hello Kitty and more Coco Chanel for our girls, please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

@Rev4 -- "Akimoto's full-fledged authority." "Back to basics." Yes.

I think Aki-P has to step in -- and may be stepping in -- to let the new combined group create its new combined ethos. I think part of the spirit of this new group is the determination of members like Rika, Riko and Itoha, who all overcame initial difficulties to grow quickly: confidence that problems can be solved, plus the strength to solve them.

But I hope any new ehtos retains some seriousness and does not go the (very successful) Hinatazaka route. Airi seems serious and solitary but basically cheerful and optimistic. And she is both extremely attractive and extremely talented. As well as hard-working. Yes to going wholeheartedly for TIF, featuring her and others. There is a wealth of talent and attractiveness among the new members, to say nothing of the old.

To repeat myself yet again, I think new hosts of a new weekly show could help -- perhaps once the new members have settled in a bit, and the old members have settled in to having them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rev4

Rev4 Member

Another video from her early ASH era. Seems she trained expressions at age of 10.

if the video does not show watch the video here

The song is called Kitakaze to taiyou or The North Wind and The Sun.
    She resembles the north wind and the sun from her dance performance.
    I think Japan has trouble with the english language because Sea breeze is the correct word than Breese sea.

Once again she looks promising if it means a return to non-technical songs for Sakurazaka's senbatsu and more expressions.
    Something I miss about this group where the song voice comes out more clear without rap and rhyme like 1st gen did in 2016.
    Where they really show off for the audience they have a strong voice and are not weak.

Imamura and Ishida from STU48 and Okuhara (in the video who is front singer) from AKB48 have said she was a top class singer and performer at ASH and Imamura was surprised to see Airi choose the idol route over the artist route. Airi said herself in the BUBKA interview she never planned to become an idol but it was performance from Sakurazaka that picked up her interest. So she was an outlier like Murai and even Hirate for 1st gen. Takahiro thinks she has hidden power that needs to come out.

It will be interesting to see where Akimoto goes from here. According to MV director for Sakurazuki in the Brody April interview she got order from Sony to present a new Sakurazaka but Akimoto wrote Natsuno Chikamichi differently for 3rd gen. Something is not clear between Sony and Akimoto what Sakurazaka's direction should be. Sony thinks Keyakizaka's worldview with different colors is a new Sakurazaka and Akimoto thinks it's time for a new worldview. This was before they announced they will dissolve W-Keyaki Fes and before 3rd gen's debut to receive a 3rd gen song. That MV for Sakurazuki was shot in November/December.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. FlowingColors

FlowingColors Future Girls

2023 (Start over!) profile picture, photo card & message.
    TaniguchiAiri2023_3(Start over!).jpg TaniguchiAiriPhotoCard.jpg TaniguchiAiriMessage.jpg
    Rough translation of her message via Google translator & DeepL (please correct if there're any errors)

9. Five By Five

Five By Five Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Koike Minami
  10. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Latest blog post has a great pair of pics by Miu:

[​IMG]

She says she has never watched much anime, just likes manga. But Odakura Reina suggested Shingeki no Kyojin to her, and now she's on episode 68.

She says their new song "The Violence of Silence" is a great song, and the video is great, too. She was feeling depressed and had the lights low and as soon as the music started playing, tears came to her eyes. She doesn't like either silence or solitude. "That being the case," she says, "Please come and be with me. I will try to be someone people can nestle up close to." It seems as if many/most/all of these girls have accepted the fanservice part of the game, and are happily trying to give fans what they enjoy. (?)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Airi Showroom, Saturday evening:

if the video does not show watch the video here

[​IMG]

Japanese comments:
    • "Although I know some people will disagree violently, I consider her the ace of the third generation."
    • "Good work, Airi."
    • "Cute to the very end."
    • "Good work, Taniguchi pro."
    • "Every movement cute and healing."

Last edited: Jun 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Airi is on the cover of Shounen Sunday magazine, with a gravure section inside. She says in the video in this Tweet that there are shots "in the woods" and elsewhere and hopes people will take a look.

[​IMG]

Airi also got a lot of response to being "pro-active" on SokoSaku on Sunday. As they were trying to decide on members to accompany Takemoto for the special outing to Shiga Prefecture (her home, and the home of Lake Biwa), Airi suddenly shouted out "salad bread" (saradapan) which is apparently a sandwich bun with a filling made of mixed salad vegetables and mayonnaise. This intervention (no doubt scripted) became her ticket to the trip. Fans were impressed with Airi's energy and aura of forwardness, and I was too, scripted or not.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Dill

Dill Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Techi
    Wait.. I haven't seen the episode yet but..... are we finally going to Shiga???? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    :banana:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Philosophy Senpai

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    Yes we do... And what a perfect opportunity it might have been if Yudu and Akipo were joining the roke, you know, for some swimming lessons...

Ahh but this will be another roke... If that happens it will be at the sea of Shizuoka and it will be my NUMBER ONE episode of all times!!!

15. watash.Iwa

watash.Iwa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    小林由依
    Great vocal, nice visual, Memi-like cuteness and nice comments during variety(something Sakurazaka needs).

This girl is going to be big. Good job, Airi-chan!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Shounen Sunday magazine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Click/tap to enlarge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. qpet

qpet Future Girls

it's still small :awesome:

for the lazy:
    Sakurazaka46 Taniguchi Airi interview in full!
    Sakurazaka46 Taniguchi Airi makes her first appearance in Shonen Sunday issue 32! She received a media award from Shonen Sunday when she debuted, and was selected to play the center role in the first song "Natsu no konmichi" by the third term students.
    Don't miss the "Summer Shortcut" graph of just the two of them with the dazzling 18-year-old high school girl!
    Here is the complete version of the interview that could not be introduced in this magazine!

Sakurazaka46 Taniguchi Airi
    ■Please introduce yourself.

I'm Taniguchi Airi, an 18-year-old high school senior from Yamaguchi Prefecture who loves pickled plums very much.
    My favorite things to do are taking a bath and going for a walk with the members! I have an acoustic guitar!

■What do the members call you?

Airi, Airitan.
    Airitan is what Yuzu (Nakashima Yuzuki) and Nagi (Kojima Nagisa) in particular call me a lot!

■How would you like to be called by your fans?

Airi, Airi-chan, (Airitan).
    I would like to be called Airi, Airi-chan because I am often called that.
    The members suggested calling me Airitan, but it might be a little embarrassing. LOL.

■You have wanted to be an idol for a long time.

The main reason was watching Momoiro Clover Z, which I was into at the time, and that made me yearn to be an idol.

■Is there anything you tried to do in order to become an idol?

I listened to songs with various world views and studied them to bring out their bright or sad expressions.

■Is there anything you would like to praise yourself for in your efforts to become an idol?

That I did not give up.
    I have been longing to be an idol since kindergarten and almost gave up several times, but I couldn't give up and auditioned.

■What was the moment when you felt happy after joining Sakurazaka?

When I found my psyllium color for the first time at the hospitality party.
    The moment I went up on stage, I felt so happy when I saw the heat and shining psyllium.

■What do you want to do after joining Sakurazaka?

I want to perform our songs in various places!
    I love "Summer's Shortcut" as well as "Violence of Silence," and I want more people to know them because they are full of charm.

■Is there anyone in the Sakamichi group that you admire?

Hikaru Morita.
    Her music videos are wonderful, but when I saw her dance, sing, and express herself at live performances, she was so powerful that I was drawn in. I still admire her to this day.

■What spots do you recommend in Yamaguchi Prefecture, where you are from?

Kintai Bridge and Kakushima Island.
    I introduced Kintai-bashi Bridge in my Vlog, and you can really feel the nature. I recommend Kakushima because of its beautiful ocean. Kakunoshima Island has a beautiful sea that will purify your mind.

■What food do you recommend from your hometown in Yamaguchi Prefecture?

KAWARA-SOBA.
    My mother used to make it for me for a long time, so it holds a special place in my memory.

■What kind of child were you when you were in elementary school?

I was the kind of child who was addicted to reading, reading two books a day and going to the library every day. I think I often felt that my worldview was broadened by books.

■What kind of child were you when you were in junior high school?

I had more opportunities to get involved with various people, and I think I became brighter than when I was in elementary school. I grew vegetables as part of my club activities and went home eating them. When I think about it now, I feel like I was in my youth.

■What do you think is your character and position in the third term?

Ask the third-term students nearby (Murayama, Murai, Kojima),
    They say that I am a "baby who gets into all the conversation," and "a baby who is always on the move," and that I am "a baby after all. LOL!

■Who do you hang out with most often?

I hang out with all the third-term members.

■What do you talk about?

I talk about anime with Nagi (Nagisa Kojima), clothes with Yu (Yu Murai), and food with Miu (Miu Murayama). Once we start talking, we all can't stop.

■What has moved you recently?

I was impressed by the new song "Start over! I couldn't stop getting goosebumps because of the great energy and expression of the song.

■Is there anything you would like to do in your private time with the members?

We are planning to have a fireworks display with 11 members from the third term! I want to have a BBQ with everyone, have fun at the beach, and enjoy the summery, youthful atmosphere.

■Is there anything you would like to try in your work?

Radio, variety, acting, modeling, and so many more!

■Is there anything you would like to challenge in your private life?

The "Screaming Suspension Bridge Kazeten" attraction at Lake Sagami Resort and Pleasure Forest.
    I like screaming attractions, so I would like to go there at least once!

■Are there any places you would like to visit?

Korea and Hokkaido.
    I love spicy food and seafood, so I want to go there!

■Do you have a favorite manga?

I love Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
    I like how the main character Frieren changes her way of thinking as she gets involved with people. I bought a few copies to try out and read at home, but I was so curious about the next one that I ran to the bookstore. LOL!

■Lastly, please cheer up someone who is feeling down today.

Anyway, eat a lot of your favorite food, soak in a bath, and get lots of sleep! And please look at my photos and videos and be healed ♡.
    https://websunday.net/41851/

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Thanks, @qpet. That interview was terrific. She seems very together, very ready to succeed as an idol. And reading a lot is a good thing. I wonder how she will score in next weekend's intelligence/knowledge competition on SokoSaku.

I'm not sure how the photos behave on all phones, but on my Android Pixel, tapping opens the photo in imgur and then I can long tap and choose "open in new tab" (in Firefox) and the photos can be stretched bigger in the new tab. On my PC, it works more or less the same.

19. qpet

qpet Future Girls

the resolution is great, I just reffered to her height:^^;:

• Like Like x 3
  20. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Lol.

Here are some quite positive Japanese comments (source) about Airi: her "gap moe", her assertiveness, her full panoply of idol virtues:
    • A pretty face, can sing and dance, talks well and bears herself well, puts herself forward in variety…that’s why management is pushing her.
    • It’s wonderful that she had the guts to speak up alone with “salad bread”. For a newbie to be so forward can somehow seem cheeky, but Airi gets full marks in the charm and attractiveness department, so she’s perfect.
    • When she came out directly with “salad bread,” the MCs and Chuke and all the senpais and the audience seemed shocked. The studio members seemed really flustered.
    • But that’s good! By building up experience on their own show, they will be able to display it on outside shows.
    • There’s also her unexpected “gap moé”. Although she gives a solid grown-up feeling in the documentary and in lives, on SokoSaku she and Enrico (Endou Riko) are treated as a pair of babies. She seems to get into the character quite easily, and on Showroom people treat her as a poor little thing. Truly, she has everything an idol needs.
    • I know what you mean! I used to think of her as the type that is like goods left for a long time at the bottom of the pile, but her hard work on Showroom totally did me in.
    • Airi’s image changed on Showroom. Gap moé…she had a cool image, but an instant after her sweet coversation with the members and refusal to put people down (tr?人を下げない), she was so eager to get people to look at her that I was done for.