Technicalities

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by hanabi, Jul 21, 2007.

1. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    The thread for those who are having 'technical problems', whether it be with your computer or your mobile phone. Post here with your questions/concerns, and hopefully nice members can help out! :)

2. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

Neat idea! I'll try to keep up with this thread, as I'm quite the persocom otaku. Plus I kinda have like, an Associate's in computer maintenance, and certifications and stuff. Go me. :twisted: Hopefully nobody will have any trouble, though! Wishful thinking...

3. hanabi

hanabi Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    aiw78346
    Okay, here's my question :confused:

What can I use to convert a .vob file to .avi?

4. sunnyghost

sunnyghost Kenkyuusei

may be you can use the following tools

WinAVI Video Converter

or

YASA VOB to AVI Converter

5. Kazearashi

Kazearashi Kenkyuusei

I'm using virtual dub for encoding avi and doing subtitling stuffs..

6. transcendental_protagonis

transcendental_protagonis Kenkyuusei

For a matter of converting I simply use Total Video COnverter

7. Eques

Eques Kenkyuusei

I'll try to be more helpful than just listing a piece of software.

Anyway, VirtualDub is the best way, probably. You have more control over what the final file will be like and once you understand the basics you can expand on that and make much better quality videos than any one-click conversion tool will allow you to make.

But since VirtualDub isn't all that user-friendly, I wrote this very basic guide. Keep in mind that there are better ways to do almost everything in this guide, but this will probably do just fine to begin with.

SOFTWARE
    • First, install this Xvid binary: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2lpq53

I'll use this for the video. You can choose to use another codec, but the "Video compression" part of the guide will not apply in that case. Uncheck the option about decoding all FourCC during the installation.
    • MP3 codec for audio: http://www.sendspace.com/file/920w3y

Extract to its own folder, then right-click the *.inf file and choose Install. If you're using Windows XP you'll probably get some sort of warning, but it's okay to continue.
    • VirtualDubMod: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ix0n9x

I'm not using the regular VirtualDub for a number of reasons that would probably just bore you. Extract to its own folder and you're good to go.
    Launch VirtualDubMod.exe from where you extracted VirtualDubMod and open the VOB through File -> Open video file...

[​IMG]
    You'll see two windows. The one on the left is the original video. The one on the right is a preview of the finished video. Keep in mind, though, that the preview doesn't show what the actual quality of the finished video will be like, but it will show the size and filters you've applied.

FILTERS

First I'm going to add two very common filters that you'll probably want to use.

If you look at the screenshot you'll notice that the video is interlaced. (Look at those "lines" that are particularly obvious near their arms and legs.) You'll want to get rid of that by going to Video -> Filters. Then click the button that says Add...

[​IMG]
    Double-click deinterlace. Go with Blend fields together (best) and click OK.

[​IMG]
    The deinterlace filter should now show up in your list of filters. Click OK to close the filter window and move one frame forward or backward using the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard to see the effect of the filter.

[​IMG]
    Note that the scanlines are gone in the preview window. Something to keep in mind is that VirtualDub's basic deinterlace filter isn't that good, so you may still see some scanlines. It seems to work pretty well for this particular video, however.

Now go to Video -> Filters... again. Add the resize filter.

[​IMG]
    Enter the width and height you want for the final file. I went with 640 x 480 for this example. You can click Show preview to get an idea of what the final size will be. If you're satisfied, hit OK and then OK again to close the Filters window. Note that the preview window will now show the size of the final video as well.

You can add other filters if you like, but most aren't very useful.

VIDEO COMPRESSION

Now for the most important part: video compression. Go to Video -> Compression...

[​IMG]
    Select Xvid MPEG-4 Codec in the window that pops up (make sure the FourCC is 'xvid', not 'yv12'). Click the Configure button.

[​IMG]
    Most default options will probably work fine, but you'll definitely want to play around with the quality slider. Unfortunately, there's no way of seeing what the final video quality is like, so you'll have to encode the file before you can see it. I suggest trying something like 3.58 first and then see if you're satisfied with the quality : file size ratio.

There are better ways to do this (twopass encoding is better, for one), but this is easier. It just takes a bit more trial and error.

If you're done, hit OK and then OK again to close the Compression window.

AUDIO COMPRESSION

Go to Streams -> Stream list

[​IMG]
    Right-click on the audio stream in the left side of the window and make sure Full processing mode is selected. Right-click the stream again and select Compression...

[​IMG]
    Select Lame MP3 on the right and choose your desired bitrate on the right. I went with 192 kbps. Hit OK twice once more.

ENCODING

Finally, go to File -> Save As.... Enter a filename and select where you want to save it. In your case, it's probably easier to make sure Don't run this job now; add it to job control [...] is unchecked. Save.

[​IMG]
    Wait for the encoding to finish and see if you're satisfied with the final file.

~The end~

8. Haunter

Haunter Kenkyuusei

What can I use for edit video? (not Windows movie maker and Video Edit Magic because I have some problem with them).

9. HSaito

HSaito Kenkyuusei

I installed windows vista yesterday and the audio 5.1 isn' t working properly there is no sound in central and rear speakers

10. nightmarest

nightmarest Kenkyuusei

I have problem for joining avi with subtitle into vcd..
    anyone knows how to convert it?

11. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

You might take a look at the website of your sound card maker(or motherboard/PC manufacturer if you just use the onboard sound) for an updated Vista driver.

12. CDevil

CDevil Member

Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas seem to be pretty good. Sony Vegas would be better for beginners though, it's very simple to use.

Is there a way to take high quality screencaps from a video (or the same quality as the video)? I've been using Media player classic, but the quality isn't that good, and it scales down the images :confused:

13. HSaito

HSaito Kenkyuusei

thanks for your help.
    I´ve installed all drivers from the manufacturers website
    I think some windows vista drivers are not working correctly yet

anyway I´ve installed windows vista to try its performance enhancements such as HD playback, aeroglass,ready boost, etc

I´ll reinstall windows xp,

14. Datalanche

Datalanche Kenkyuusei

Hmm, have you looked in the sound properties in Control Panel(sorry I can't elaborate, I don't use Vista yet)? Maybe you have to just switch something to 5.1 as it might me 2.0 by default.

15. HSaito

HSaito Kenkyuusei

I´v configured the sound properties to use 5.1 and the test sound have been successful but when i used wmp11, winamp, power dvd only sounded the two front spekakers

anyway my pc is a bit slow to run windows vista and needs more ram so i´ll use xp for a long time

16. Gloworm

Gloworm Kenkyuusei

Ok, I'm using JASC animation shop and when I try to open a video file it says that there is no video uncompressor available. Am I missing a codec or something because it seems I can't open any of my videos in JASC.

17. Haunter

Haunter Kenkyuusei

Thanx CDevil, I'm going to use Sony Vegas, the file is quite large.

18. Eques

Eques Kenkyuusei

This is more of a workaround rather than an actual solution, but try saving it as an uncompressed video in VirtualDub and then try to open it again.

19. Gloworm

Gloworm Kenkyuusei

Thanks Eques I'll try that in a little bit :)

EDIT:
    <--- It works, yay :lol: Thanks again!

20. hest

hest Kenkyuusei

I have some problems with my TV-out. I have a GeForce 6800 GT card with an S-Video output and right now I use a S-video to SCART cable with a separate cable for sound. I have been looking around forums and the Nvidia FAQ but I havent found any answer.
    Almost all questions I have seen are " My TV gets black and white" or "It doesnt work at all"

The problem for me is that it does work, but the picture quality is horrible. I have tried with 4 different cables.
    The first one was a composite cable wich I got with the graphics card, it didnt work well so I bought a new one.

A S-Video to SCART cable wich was really long. It didnt work either so I looked around forums and stuff and read that a really long cable can decrease the quality, so I tried another, shorter cable.

It didnt work either! So i bought a really good S-Video cable, only 1,5 meters long with goldplates and oxygen protection and whatnot and a s-video to scart converter also good quality stuff.
    Also didnt work!!
    I tried with another graphics card
    I tried pulling out the antenna cable from the TV
    I tried going with the cable thru my DVD, then another ccable to the TV
    I tried with 2 other power supplys

Here is a picture I made to look as similar the TV as possible
    [​IMG]
    It looks even worse on the TV due to lower resolution and less sharpness but you get the idea.
    As you can see the colours ar all messed up and its to dark.
    But when I increase the gamma or brightness on the TV or from the computer it doesnt get any better, same with the colours and contrast.

Does anyone know why it isnt working? Could it be my TV?