Which Members Speak Fluent English?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by KyriosArios, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Joe

Joe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Paruru good at English? :banana:

2. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    The Tomochin "English interview" was totally scripted. She was reading her responses.

Maeda said she liked studying English, but Sathday should say it all.

Aside from Nozawa and Hillary, the only girls I know who were fluent were SDN's Kondo Sayaka and Ito Mana.

I don't know if this counts, but I think Kintaro is pretty good too

3. DaimonMichiko

DaimonMichiko Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    You haven't quoted best part of Takamina's "BEST" English :^O^::^O^::^O^:
    The truth is in fact, she speaks the best English among AKB:1st::1st::1st:
    When Takamina speaking English in Shin Domoto Kyoudai #501…
    DAIGO is practicing a married proposal. And his partner for this act is Takamina. DAIGO and Takamina are speaking English.

[​IMG]

DAIGO: “Your eyes are so cute.”

[​IMG]

Takamina: “…? ..thank you.”

DAIGO: “I love you.”

Takamina: *saying with a bad pronunciation* “I…need…you…?”

DAIGO: “I want you.”

Takamina: *still with a bad pronunciation* “I…want you?”

[​IMG]

DAIGO: “And… Marry me.”

Takamina: *thinks and mutes for a moment*

There I think if Takamina’s heart striked by DAIGO. And also the audience went wild after DAIGO said that line to Takamina. I’m also getting excited because of it. I never seen Takamina in such situation. But then…

[​IMG]

Takamina: “Merry…Christmas?”
    http://inchanish.tumblr.com/post/41196058841/when-takamina-speaking-english-in-shin-domoto-kyoudai
    Don't tell me I havent warned you:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

@Open_SaysaMe I actually think Sayaka has decent English pronunciation, maybe just lacking in grammar. Heck, she is better English speaker than most English speaker in my country. In term of pronunciation and accent I mean. We just cant afford to lose our accent :(

4. technosworld

technosworld Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    furuhatanao
    Perhaps they could use a part-time english instructor to help them with global appeal :)

5. pink

pink Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kitahararie
    [​IMG]
    [hehe]
    I don't think she's too great at english as mentioned earlier, but she does have a high school graduate level of english (eiken level pre-2), so I guess it's just pretty basic if anything.

6. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    If Harugon returns to AKB maybe she will be the best, she has learned english in Jakarta and tweets in english sometimes. Indonesians often speaks english well so she can practice a lot.

Have you heard this:
    if the video does not show watch the video here

7. aspen_552001

aspen_552001 Kenkyuusei

Does Iriyama Anna speak good English?

8. kirifuda

kirifuda Member

Oshimen:
    miyawakisakura
    Twitter:
    akaihoshi15
    @skydrive27
    I was joking. [hehe]

@DaimonMichiko
    Merry Christmas lol

@gotbild

She would be one of the best, but Hilary and Nozawa Rena would still be better since they are native and fluent speakers, respectively.

9. Open_SaysaMe

Open_SaysaMe Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takajoaki
    Twitter:
    Open_SaysaMe
    @DaimonMichiko True, Sayaka does have a good pronunciation. I remember that Bimyo series where she acted as Lady DaDa and it looked like she was struggling to find the right words, so yeah, it's probably the lack of grammar, nothing that reading an English dictionary doesn't solve xD

So on the segment of Music Japan at 10/31/13, regarding Heart Ereki's release, the girls acted like they were doing Janken tournament in New York. There you can see how well some of them fare with the English language (or not lol). I thought Sayanee's had a pretty good pronunciation, but she didn't speak much so I don't know if she actually knows English.

10. Li Li

Li Li Kenkyuusei

I wouldn't even say it is that far either but it was fun attempting to talk to her, all we both did in the end was laugh! TBH though, I don't mind if they don't speak any English at all, it shouldn't be expected of them. I don't care about the whole global appeal either, they don't actually need that but that is for another topic :^^;:

11. gotbild

gotbild Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Takajo Aki
    Twitter:
    gotbild
    Of course I mean that Harugon would be one of the best, not the best. Bad writing.

12. SunnySK42

SunnySK42 Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    otakiyuria
    Twitter:
    sunnyside_42
    As people have said, I know of Hilary, Nozawa Rena, Kondo Sayaka (who I think used to live pretty close to my hometown actually!). I think that while Akimoto Sayaka's English was among the best of the (non-fluent) AKB members, she still has a long way to go to be anywhere near fluent. She does try though, she seems to still try to study it and even occasionally tweets in English. I'm not sure about Harugon's level, I'm sure she's picked up a little bit but I'd assume that she's focusing on learning Indonesian. Her English tweets tend to be very simple. I agree with @Tensai that there are a basic phrases that a lot of the members would know and be able to use, but real conversation is a whole different story.

I could go on about the English education system in Japan but... basically I don't really blame the members, who I'm sure are incredibly busy, for not being great at English. This is especially true of the ones who have graduated and don't study it any more. I will say that some of the more grievous spelling errors are kind of depressing, but as @Mimi said I'm sure some of it is to get laughs. The members who are in high school now should be a better than that, at least.

13. Gingerninja

Gingerninja Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kondorina
    NMB uploaded videos of the members writing English words on their Youtube just yesterday (timing huh) you can watch them on the officall channel. First Video
    There are four in all. May give you some idea of the average level of the members.

14. Sayumi4

Sayumi4 Kenkyuusei

This is the third of the NMB English videos. They all did really well in this and spoke some English at the beginning, but it seems that aside from the basics like greetings the general extent of the members English is pretty limited. If you wanna look at it in a different way they have way better handwriting than what I've seen from some native English speakers:^^;:

These are the other two, the fourth one is just:lol:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  15. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Hahah when I watched those NMB videos I was just angry that some of them had better english handwriting than me XD Idols! They're cuter than me in EVERY aspect! Grr! :lol:

16. Under The Ribbon

Under The Ribbon Member

She sure looks like she does huh? But sadly no. You can see her and Kawaei attempt to bargain in English in the Hawaii special this year.

Here's someone that hasn't been mentioned: Nogi's Ikuta Erika. She spent her childhood in Germany, but has unfortunately forgotten most of it. Still, she has *slightly* better pronunciation than most, and I suppose she sounds like she speaks it well to Japanese people.

Start watching at 2:25. Erika-sama's own part starts at 3:29

17. mincl17

mincl17 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    takahashiminami
    see for yourself :p

Sayaka's pronunciation is decent, she might not be fluent but can speak very well...

As for Takamina... decent pronunciation but clearly memorized it [hehe] (start @2:39)

I think only Rena and Hirari can...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  18. technosworld

technosworld Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    furuhatanao
    Akimoto Sayaka and Iriyama Anna are both half-filipina so its possible one of their parents speaks good english. I've lived in the Philippines for a few months and visited several times, most people's english there is quite good, since it was an American colony for several decades in the 20th century.

19. itsmiina

itsmiina Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ikutaerika
    ^ ? Annin is fully Japanese. She said so herself.
    I think a few SKE members are half-Filipino though?

20. technosworld

technosworld Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    furuhatanao
    Oops, you're right...Yashamita Emili in HKT is half filipina