Attending AKB48 handshakes: how-to (work in progress)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Mr Waffle, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Heck, I would go for all of her slots if it were my oshimen. How many tickets you want to buy per slot will be based on your personal budget. Also, are you sure there isn't anyone else you want to meet, maybe with one ticket? I mean if this is your one big chance, right?

Yeah, SSK single events can be quite crowded, but it also depends on the member.

Well, the official answer is "no." Everyone who enters the venue must present a ticket before going through the bag check. That said, the people checking the tickets are really only looking to see if you have a ticket for that day, and not really looking at the name on the ticket. So just as long as your boyfriend has a ticket in his hand, regardless of the name on the ticket, he should be okay. (i.e. he could borrow one of your tickets) At least that's the way it has always worked. But things can change too. The other option would be for him to buy a ticket too just to hang on to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. extomomi

extomomi Kenkyuusei

I'd recommend you to apply for all her slots unless you don't want to spend the whole day at HS event. For the first round, you get 6 picks and 30 picks rounds after. To be honest I don't think komiharu will sold out that fast so it really depends on how many HS events you plan to go and how long you want to stay for each day. My strategy for the first round is to use my 6 picks for the timeslots that's not too late or too early in the day, so usually slots 3-6. Now, I believe Komiharu has "fans service" for her slots where if you get get lucky you can take a video of her or take a selfie with her (correct me if i'm wrong). So you might also want to consider what fans service you wish to have and buy more tickets for that particular slot.

3. TiduShoko

TiduShoko Member

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    Twitter:
    TiduAura
    Yay, my schedule matches with 55th single handshake event.

I'm planning to go one day in August 9th, 10th or 11th (Friday, Saturday or Sunday) . I want to ask which day is better.

Maybe 11th because Komichan have 5 slots and not 4?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    Just go all three :D

If I may ask, how much is your approximate budget, and what kind of gimmick you prefer.
    I suggest going for 2S and 生写真サイン会. 2S because you may get a/some photos with her, photo pack sign because you may get free signed photo of her and relatively can chat longer than normal HS. If you don't buy that much, I suggest focussing your application on those slots like 5 each (and pray you win the gimmick in the lottery).

5. TiduShoko

TiduShoko Member

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    Twitter:
    TiduAura
    Thsnks for your answer :)

I can afford aproximately 30-35 tickets. I wanted to go one day because I go with my boyfriend and he doesn't like idols so I prefer one day.

Maybe I should choose August 11th because they'll wear yukata and they open a bit late so it would be better (and Komi has two slots with 2S event).

Maybe the best would be 6 tickets for each slot? (Komi has 5 slots (1,2,4,5 and 7) on August 11th). I could use slot 3 to grab some lunch and use slot 6 to go to another member with 1-2 tickets. I'm not sure if I could go to another member with Komiharu in the same slot..

6. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    That sounds like a good idea for me. If you are going to see other members, as long as she is not a sold out member I think it is fine. Just go there first, you can enter early with up to 3 tickets. If you want to use more you need to wait 30 min into the round afaik.

7. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    @TiduShoko

I am going to make a suggestion, just to give you some food for thought. It sounds to me like this is your first handshake, right? I mean you have never met any member before, right?

If your plan is to get 30+ tickets for Komiharu, have you thought about what you are going to say to her with all those tickets? I mean at a minimum 30 tickets will mean you are going to visit her at least 10 times, at 20-30 seconds each. How good is your Japanese? I hear Komiharu's English isn't bad, but I cannot confirm it, and she has only ever spoken Japanese to me.

I still concur that you should definitely get tickets for Komiharu in every slot she is available, but please think about how many tickets you can comfortably use. If you are comfortable speaking Japanese, that's one thing. If not, well....

I remember when I was just starting in this fandom, and I could barely speak Japanese at all. Once in a while I would get into situations where I was using more than one ticket, or like in the case of some indie groups the handshake time was like a minute per ticket. The time seemed like an eternity, because I barely had anything to say, and neither did the member. For example, the first time I met Momoka from Momoiro Clover I was given a minute to talk, and 45 seconds in neither of us had anything further to say. We were both looking at the manager like "Is time up yet?" LOL.

So just some food for thought, and I still say you should consider getting a few tickets for other members you have liked in the past, just to say you have met them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TiduShoko

TiduShoko Member

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    Twitter:
    TiduAura
    Thank you for your answer!!

I have few questions... I have to use 3 tickets each time or for example if I have 6 ticket per a slot I could use all? Maybe I'll get another member for each slot and is "only" 6 more tickets. But I'm worried if I can lose tickets because I didn't arrive with the second girl. Personally, I don't know if Komiharu is a sold out member. I won't know that until I see if she has sold out the slots. So I'm not sure what other members to visit. Ando Chikana (NGT48) is my option for slot 6 since I liked her since her debut and the slot is 生写真サイン会. Yamane Suzuha could be another option for Slot 6 and she has 絵日記サイン会 (I don't know what it is though).

Another question is.. With only visiting one girl in Slot 3 I have time to grab some lunch? I saw Megu is in Slot 3 and her slot is 1S動画会/2S写真会 so It could be interesting too.

I understand that each ticket is 10 seconds right? Can be more with unpopular member or this is the max?

And yes, it's my first handshake ever... I passed N4 last december and now I'm studying for N3 so I can speak a bit japanese. I would like to use some tickets because
    I would have more opportunities to win some thing! But yes, I understand what are you saying so I'll try to think if I can have like 5 minutes of conversation with all slots with my japanese!

And another question... For people who go to handshake event. One ticket to visit a member is okay to have an experience or is it very little?

9. Cristafari

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    You can use a maximum of 3 tickets at a time in the first 30 minutes of a handshake slot, after than, more than 3 at a time is fine

Most likely yes, but it also depends on the member

More like 8 seconds than 10 these days. And it is rarely more, unless the guard is being lenient for some reason (like language barrier [hehe]) Usually the strictness of the time depends more on the guard than the member. Although if you get caught in a really huge queue, they may rush you out very quickly....

Of course if you are visiting Kaotan the amount of time per ticket is decided by Kaotan! She reads her guards the "Riot Act" every slot not to rush her fans out until she is finished with them.

Ya know, personally I think one ticket is fine, although some would disagree. I do one ticket per member most of the time. I will say this, that using two tickets in a visit seems exponentially longer than using one.

10. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    @TiduShoko Just a suggestion - how about visiting Goto Rara of SKE48? She's studied English, I've heard her speaking it in a couple of videos and she does seem to be fluent. I was going to meet her last year but she was on hiatus, however this time I plan to get 3 tickets for her for one slot and hopefully it'll be second time lucky. (It's a pity that Nozawa Rena has just graduated, I've had two good English conversations with her.)

Incidentally I've met Komiharu 3 times (including a CD jacket signing) and each time I was able to have a basic English conversation with her which seemed to go reasonably well. But anyway, she's very lovely and very pretty when you see her close up, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    For other members, if you don't really know them I think 1 ticket is enough. Except you want to win the gimmick. If you know what to talk about, I suggest 2.

Afaik Rara can converse in English, just not to business/native level.

Slot 3 going to Megu who has 1S/2S in the same slot. I think you will have plenty of time to grab lunch outside or at the food truck in the venue. I usually go out so I can sit tho. Expect no chair available in the venue. If you want longer time to eat, maybe pre-queue in the lane before round 3 start.

12. hermionepj1

hermionepj1 Member

Oshimen:
    Yamashita Emiri
    just do 35 komi tickets on one slot like a boss.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. naruse

naruse Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    naruse48
    @TiduShoko If I were you I would get 32 tickets in 1 slot and spread remaining 3 for other slots. Sometimes they change costumes or hairstyle midway so if you go might as well. Concentrate 32 in early slots because the girls tire out over the day and it shows.

1 is way too little for me since basically you are just going in there saying hi, exchange 1-2 sentences, and then get pulled away. I say since you have N4, it shouldn't be much a problem for a few minutes. Just write and memorize a simple conversation, you can even write it on your arms if you want. You can easily tell her about who you are, when you became her fan, followed by some praises and etc in a few minutes. Prepare some general questions you want to ask her in case convo doesn't flow too well, but whenever I blank out I just compliment their shirts or accessories. If they start asking you questions, feel free to answer or ignore and continue your script -weird but I've done this before lol- since some just want to take control of the conversation and your language ability might not let you answer.

That's just me, if I go I think it's better to have regret of awkward silence than regret of not enough tickets.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TiduShoko

TiduShoko Member

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    Twitter:
    TiduAura
    Thank you @naruse but I prefer to visit Komiharu mostly equally during all 5 slots ^_^ As for 1 ticket, knowing the girl and say 1-2 sentences is okay for me. The girl I really want to chat a lot is Komiharu! I'll use your tips about conversation!!

I bought my first 5 tickets of first round for Komiharu! And of course I won! jaja I decided to visit another member in every slot so I wanted to ask for advice before applying for the tickets in the second round because I do not want to lose money because of my inexperience.

This would be my schedule but may be subject to changes still hahaha. Tickets for Komiharu would be more than three while the other members 1 ticket.

Slot 1
    Komiyama Haruka 生写真サイン会
    Mukaichi Mion ご来場認定カードサイン会 (I'm not really sure about Komion in the same slot)

Slot 2
    Komiyama Haruka 2S写真会
    Nishikawa Rei 絵日記サイン会

Slot 3
    Taniguchi Megu 1S動画会/2S写真会
    Fukuoka Seina 1S動画会

Slot 4
    Komiyama Haruka 絵日記サイン会
    Oomori Maho 1Sゆかた写真会

Slot 5
    Komiyama Haruka 1Sゆかた写真会
    Yamauchi Mizuki 2S写真会

Slot 6
    Ando Chikana - 生写真サイン会
    Eriko Jo - 絵日記サイン会

Slot 7
    Komiyama Haruka 2S写真会
    Yamane Suzuha 2S写真会

Someone could tell me if it's feasible or too much? (I don't know about Mion, Rei, Seichan, Mizuki and Suzuha, Maho..) I wanted to see Miion too since I love Komion friendship but I think it's really difficult... right? Why some members I like like Naachan or Miion have the same slots as Komiharu? T_T And what would be better? pre-queue for members with 1 ticket and then with Komiharu because I have more than three tickets?

And... how it works the oshi mashi???

And... We can enter food in the venue? It's because I maybe I don't have time to go to buy something...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  15. David61

David61 Under Girls Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Komiyama Haruka
    Twitter:
    DavidB13
    I've just been checking my notes from past events and I see that I met both Komiharu and Miion in one slot at a 2-shot event two years ago, so from my own experience I'd say that it's perfectly possible to do this.

IMO your whole schedule is fine. I'd guess that the girls with the longest queues would be Miion and Zukki but as long as you're in their lanes by the start of the slots it's 99% certain you'll get to Komi before the cut-off time which is one hour after the slot start. Their lanes should be close to each other as all three of them are AKB48 members. (Lanes are arranged by group so Jo's and Ando's may be a little further away from each other.) I've always pre-queued for the members with the longest queues and that has worked for me.

With Oshimashi you simply arrive at the lane between 30 minutes and one hour after the start of the slot. However you can only do that with members who have a star by their name and it's possible that you might not be entitled to any of the gimmicks.

In my experience the only food inside the venue is from an AKB48 pop-up cafe but I think that food vans have sometimes been used. There's a couple of convenience stores just outside with better (and cheaper!) food and at least one of them has seating and tables nearby, although you'll have to return into the hall through the security checkpoint but that should only take a couple of minutes at most. In any case I'd recommend taking a couple of breaks outside just to get some fresh air! With your schedule I feel pretty sure you'll be able to take at least a couple of 30-minute breaks. Enjoy! :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  16. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    @TiduShoko
    I think your schedule is fine. Like David said above, for Mion and Zukki just pre-queue or enter before people can use more than 3 tickets (the first 30 minutes of each round). Based on my experience and observation their lanes is not that long, should be done by 15-20 minutes. I suggest go to the member with the shortest line first. I think most of them will be on the same side of the hall. Usually, it is arranged to NMB-SKE-AKB4 on the left part (1-50ish lane), and KKS-8-HKT-NGT on the right part (50ish to 110~). I think it will be the same if they do not try anything funny in arranging the lanes like some time last year.

Regarding taking breaks, most probably you will want to take a break between round 3 to 4, and after round 6 when they will have 30 minutes break on 6 pm. But be careful especially on the evening break, as most people also taking a break so the food stalls outside the venue will be packed. I suggest to just go out after you finish round 6. Or if you can wait, do round 7 early then go to have dinner and go home.

https://goo.gl/maps/ypde6XStqbJ2
    This is the usual location of the Makuhari HS. The nearest station is Kahimmakuhari, it is direct from Tokyo Station, JR Keiyo Line, the same line to go to Disney Resort, and I suggest to take Rapid train both ways if possible as it will go much faster than the local one even if you have to wait for up to 15 minutes.
    The food spots are here https://goo.gl/maps/FPQbUTUnnvN2 there is also a convenience store to grab some quick food and sit at the lobby of the opposite building (you'll understand what I mean once you see it, as some people will also do it :D). For lunch, I usually go here https://goo.gl/maps/rhjAy8x94My the shopping center in front of the station. Or around here https://goo.gl/maps/G29BpxD1TCE2 at the other side of the station, but it is quite far from the venue. Usually, I go there after I finish everything that day to have dinner then go home.

To be safe just don't bring food to the venue. Sometimes I bring onigiris and drink in pet bottle, though you need to sip it at the security check every single time. Pet bottle drink is allowed, but the canned or metallic bottle is not.

For oshimashi basically, you bring the same-day tickets of member A to member B lane. Only members with a star beside their name and lane number accept oshimashi. Just don't be surprised if you see some big names with a star beside their sign. [hehe] As David said, it can only be used after the 30 minutes mark of the round until the closing time. Though, you will not draw for the gimmick in that slot. Pay attention to in what round certain member available for oshimashi. You can download the full schedule from the website 1 day before, or just see the on-site board (just remember the kanji of those members).

Some people here will also be there. Just ring if you need further help.

17. TiduShoko

TiduShoko Member

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    Twitter:
    TiduAura
    Thank you for all answers!! You're really nice!! I hope we can meet in August 11th :D
    I finally bought (and won!) 2 tickets for Mion in slot 1!! So happy to meet Komichan and Mion in the same slot!

I'm really confused about the times you said about slots.

Pre-queue and
    the first 30 minutes of the slot that only you can use until three tickets is the same? Or pre-queue is before slot starts?
    So for slots that I have Komichan and other girl, is better to go with the other girl because I have less than three tickets and then go to see Komichan before closing time, right?
    It's better to use all tickets of Komi together or not? Like, if I have 8 tickets, use 4 and then queue again in 4 more.

Oshi mashi: From 30 minutes after slot starts until 60 minutes (that's closing time of slot, right?) And for example, If I can't use a ticket from some girl because the slot has already passed (I hope that's note the case though), can I use this ticket for oshimashi another girl or have I already lost it?

And what's the point to close the slot before 30 minutes of the end of the slot? If girls don't have any fan then they finished right? This is to make girls who have empty lanes go before?

And for example, if I go to some girl's lane before closing time but there is queue to make the "check in", they can close the slot before they check my tickets?

Also, I realized that August 11th is Zunchan's birthday!! I won a ticket for her!
    Normally, I see that because of birthday, fans make a banner and they take a picture with the girl.
    Is it a specific time or does it depend on availability of girl?

And finally, do you recommend someone who doesn't like idols being in Makuhari Messe all day? There are some interesting things near Makuhari Messe to visit? I think maybe my boyfriend will be bored.. XD

Sorry for too many questions. T_T

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  18. SunnyHighland

SunnyHighland Next Girls

Oshimen:
    okaberin
    Okay, so I'll try to describe the steps that you may need to take.

1. Arrive at the venue.
    2. Is your chara-ani name in Kana or alphabet? if it is in Kana and you don't have any ID with your name in Kana, you need to go to a special counter for "name check" or "change of address". Don't worry, it is quite fast. There they will check your application and match it with the ticket and your passport. Then stamp every single one of your ticket. If you have round 1 tickets, I suggest you arrive at the venue before the HS starts at 9.

3A. Going to the lane you will do the following things:
    - Find the correct lane and queue (if any) on the outer queue.
    - "check-in" and "draw gimmick" on the first desk. You need to hand over the number of tickets you want to use at that time and your photo ID. If you do not use oshimashi ticket, you will be asked if you want to draw the gimmick. Just say yes, and another person will ask you to press one out of four buttons on a tablet. Only one has the gimmick, so if you use multiple tickets just press the same button every time. If your luck sucks, at least you got HS. lol. If you win something they will attach a paper on the ticket. If it has boxes to write your name, you will see a table with pens to fill it, then go for the inner queue.
    - (Person -4) When you approach the booth you will see 4 baskets. Just take turns to put your belongings in the vacant one. Usually, I just put my bag and coat/jacket if I wear one.
    - (Person -1) Hand your tickets and photo ID to the timer officer, and show both of your hands.
    - Go to the member, until the usher tells you that time is up.
    - Take your belongings and go out of the lane after saying bye to the member (they usually will wave to you until you turn away, so make sure to leave impression until the last moment).

3B. About timing
    • Pre-queue: You wait/queue in front of the lane before the opening time. If it is for the second round and after, they will ask you to queue up before the check-in table.
    • First 30 minutes: Only those who hold the member's ticket can go in. And maximum you can use 3 tickets at once.
    • Second 30 minutes: You can use oshimashi tickets and as many tickets you have for that round. (Mind you there are cases that people bring 100 tickets at once or more), so the queue will move slower in this period. This period also the last time you can enter the lane in that round.
    • Last 30 minutes: If you already in the lane (even before check-in) by this time, don't worry. You already counted in. After they close the "gate", there might be some cases that pre-queue for the next round already take place.
    4. Oshimashi tickets: Basically any ticket for that day. Initially, it is to facilitate those who come late, the member suddenly absent/has to stop midway or any other force majeur. Or deliberately change your mind to go to another member instead. Mind you that oshimashi ticket cannot be used to obtain gimmick.

5. About the congratulatory event. Usually, it is at the end of the last round of that member on that day. Say Komi will have slots on slot 2,3,5,6,7. The event will be done by the end of round 7, and the member (maybe with some friends) will go out to approach the banner, give a speech, and take photos. The key is, just ask the people who gather there. Sometimes they will give you something to hold/sing when the member comes.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. TiduShoko

TiduShoko Member

Oshimen:
    komiyamaharuka
    Twitter:
    TiduAura
    ^thank you for your answer!!

I won all applications I applied for 3rd round (I almost didn't win Omori Maho's ticket because she sold out the slot in the third round) so I didn't apply for 4th round. At the end I bought 40 tickets (30 tickets for Komiharu and 1 ticket for each girl and 2 for Mion ^_^). At the end I changed Rei-chan for Tomonaga Mio, she was my first HKT oshi so I wanted to meet het once!
    Is the distance between groups's lines a lot? I saw the map but I can't guess the distance ... It's to know if If I will waste a lot of time going from one group to another.

I hope I can win gimmicks with Komiharu (I bought 9 tickets for each 2S slot (she has two 2S) and 4 tickets for the rest of the slots. ^_^

Now the next step is the payment. I pray I can pay with my credit card, if not I'll have serious problems T_T

My question is: I saw the shipping cost but I don't know what it means 1口ごと
    ・送料:1口ごとに702円(税込)

If I have 40 tickets, how much will I have to pay for them?

thank you in advance!!

20. Puni

Puni Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    Twitter:
    puni_2k
    That's usually a no issue. You should get from one corner of the event space to the other in less than a few minutes. There are dedicated walking lanes throughout the venue.
    I.e. the International Exhibition Hall at Makuhari Messe is around 190m x 100m, but not all of the space is used for the HS area.

If you have an Amex card, you're fine. If not you'd need to find a person with one or a Japanese CC, or you'll ask one of the proxy shippers on this board to make a conbini payment for you.