Attending AKB48 handshakes: how-to (work in progress)

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Mr Waffle, Nov 26, 2013.

1. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

@Tensai I got a tix for a 2shot with Anna on May 30th. I'll be wishing her a Happy Birthday after the fact. :^^;:

2. SunnySK42

SunnySK42 Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    otakiyuria
    Twitter:
    sunnyside_42
    @Cristafari By the way, you've been to an SKE event before right? I know someone that had some trouble at an event last year and I'm a tiny bit nervous that they won't accept my Tenso address. I know that Chara-Ani knows how to handle everything with foreigners but I'm not quite as sure about SKE staff. I'll have my Japanese license so maybe I'll just be able to say that I moved (I mean, that must happen to Japanese people too) but I'm hoping that I won't run into any issues and can just get them validated or something.

3. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari

I have, although it has been a while. (Last one was Utsukushii Inazuma) But it should be noted there have been other overseas fans who have been to SKE events recently without incident. I believe the person in question's issue was more about the fact that they were trying to have a a special exception made than anything else. I doubt they will bat much of an eye at my four measly tickets for less than popular members.

4. SunnySK42

Oshimen:
    otakiyuria
    Twitter:
    sunnyside_42
    Okay yeah, that's what I kind of thought. I have tickets for the 17th, it's really too bad that it seems like everyone else is going to the later event. Would've been fun to see other foreign fans there!

5. eiennoyorokobi

eiennoyorokobi Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    Twitter:
    mujakigenki
    Ohhh, so it's not a lottery or anything like that? OK -- I think I'll make the trip then!

6. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    Just curious, have you been to an event before?

7. eiennoyorokobi

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    Twitter:
    mujakigenki
  8. mieniem

mieniem Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kuramochiasuka
    Actually i'm going to ske event on the 17th of may, really looking forward to it since i just got my tickets today. I am hoping the address thing won't be a problem, I just gonna bring as many documents as i can.

9. SunnySK42

Oshimen:
    otakiyuria
    Twitter:
    sunnyside_42
    Oh cool, maybe I'll see you there! Hopefully neither of us has any issues :chuffed:

10. kagayakashii

kagayakashii Kenkyuusei

Hey guys, I'm moving to Japan at the end of July for work. (I won't lie, attending 48G events is at least part of the reason I applied for the position :)) I have a Tenso address but no friends who can help with payment or anything. After I get settled, I'll have a real address, Japanese phone number, bank card, etc. But I want to start attending events as soon as possible. So it boils down to these questions:
    - Is all this stress about using a Tenso address justified? It sounds like all you need is confirmation from the info booth, at least for AKB events. If it's risky, I'll just wait to apply until I have my apartment. But then I lose out on several months of handshaking.
    - Is the whole application process the same for the sister groups, just at a slightly different address (ch.chara-ani.com)?

With all my confusion over something simple like a handshake ticket, I can tell that day to day life in Japan is going to test me. Haha. Looking forward to it like crazy, though. Thanks for any help you can give.

11. ふざけないで

ふざけないで Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    watanabemiyuki
    Congratulations on getting the job and good luck with settling!

I think you just have to register with other sites.

SKE48 is mu-mo (I've only used this once myself):
    http://shop.mu-mo.net/a/st/event/ske48_1501/

Not used them, but キャラアニ is for NMB and HKT (I think):
    http://ch.chara-ani.com/

Not sure for Nogizaka.

It'll be easy applying for the handshake / show lotteries once you're here.

12. Sakuraism

Sakuraism Member Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    andilee1989
    Getting ur tickets stamped at the info booth really isnt much stress, just a pain in the ass(waiting, can be quick or can be slow). Even now i still have my tickets stamped, not because of me not able to provide address proof but rather simply the whole, katakana vs romaji on ur tickets. If you can't fit ur full name in english on the chara ani website, chances are you're gonna bump into issues at some point where they will tell you the ID romaji doesn't match the one on ur tickets. Which they will point u to the info booth to stamp anyway.

13. Tensai

Tensai Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    uchiyamanatsuki
    Twitter:
    Tensai
    Never had any issue at the info booth, in fact Japanese fans go there all the time when they've ended up moving or have their CDs sent to the office instead of home. You don't even need to tell them why you are there, they know why you are there. They even usually have someone around who can speak at least some English.

The only reason this even became an issue was when they started printing the address on the ticket, in order to drop the ticket+invoice requirement. The lane staff are all temps, and are drilled with following the rules, so it would throw them off. It's not the address on the ticket that is the issue for most of us, it's the fact that our passports don't have our address printed inside. Half the time if I showed them the packing slip, it was enough to resolve the issue.

However, as @Sakuraism says, the names throw off the temps too. Getting the tickets stamped just makes things easier all around. You'll still get the occasional question from the lane staff, but just point out the stamps and it will be fine.

As for whether using Tenso causes problems, the only time I ever heard that was a case where the fan was asking for an exception. That was an SKE48 event too, and the staff is slightly different. But I really think enough foreigners are showing up at all these events that you'll never have a problem. Besides, it's Japan. As long as you are polite, don't argue or raise a stink, they'll find a way to work it out.

14. kenchanayoh

kenchanayoh Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    How do I purchase the theater ban for ske48. I don't see an option on mu mo

15. eiennoyorokobi

Oshimen:
    miyazawasae
    Twitter:
    mujakigenki
  16. Onimarr

Onimarr Kenkyuusei

I am going to a small SKE48 handshake event tomorrow in Hong Kong and was wondering if there were any advice or etiquette I should know? Some of my co-workers who aren't fans said I should give a gift is that normal?

Thanks in advance!

17. Sakuraism

Twitter:
    andilee1989
    Hrm, a lot of advices we give here probably will not apply to events outside of Japan perfectly. They are usually a lot more loose when it comes to oversea visits. I guess there will be rules set for the event, as long you follow those there should be no problem.

A friend of a friend of mine a few years back got blacklisted at a HK event, which the management told the guy that they have also sent his info back to JPN so apparantly he's unable to attend HS n whatnot in Japan as well.

In short, don't do anything stupid and u will be fine.

18. Onimarr

Onimarr Kenkyuusei

Haha actually I don't speak Chinese which is one of the reasons I kind of want to make sure I knew the etiquette... I guess as long as I don't attempt to kidnap them or molest them I should be good.

19. USA48

USA48 Kenkyuusei

I just have a quick question, want to make sure about something. I'm no stranger to buying handshake tickets, but this is the first time I'm using the "pay at convenience store" option. There's an April 18th deadline on the chara-ani site right now. Does this mean I have to actually pay at a convenience store by the 18th? Or just check the box by the 18th and actually pay later? I've checked the box and the green button changed to "awaiting shipment" so I think I'm good. Just want to make sure I don't lose my Yukirin tickets. Thanks.

20. Sakuraism

Twitter:
    andilee1989
    Pay. I can randomly throw in a Credit card number and it would change to 'awaiting shipment" too.