BoA

Discussion in 'The Music Forum' started by freezingkiss, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

^ They're so lucky to have met BoA. :( I would have looooooved to. And hug her?! Jeeez. So lucky.

I didn't hear all of Look Who's Talking yet because it was bad quality, but it sounded pretty good from what I heard. :D

2. Perfume_Lover

Perfume_Lover Kenkyuusei

wow I like BoA because tomochin and two minami's sang VALENTI!

3. Shipyon

Shipyon Kenkyuusei

I like her song "Sweet Impact"

4. Perfume_Lover

Perfume_Lover Kenkyuusei

Recently I am crazy for BoA
    I like Eat you up XD

5. Takamina

Takamina Kenkyuusei

I like really all versions of Valenti!
    I think I prefer the Korean Version but the English and Japanese versions are very good too

6. Naomi

Naomi Kenkyuusei Retired Staff

I used to prefer the Korean version, but I've been listening to the Japanese version more lately, so I prefer that one now. XD

7. Perfume_Lover

Perfume_Lover Kenkyuusei

I prefer her japanase version ^^ of VALENTI

8. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

Dead, after being struck in the heart by Chiyuu~
    Are there any BoA fans near LA?

I might go see her this Saturday at Universal CityWalk.

The first 125 people get to meet her and get an autographed poster.

Anyone want to meet up? :D
    I might go up early to wait!

Her new CD comes out on Tuesday, the 17th by the way.
    It's so-so.

Here's some previews from iTunes :D

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 4&s=143441

9. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

Here's the cool flyer B-)
    [align=center][​IMG][/align]
    Credits to BoAjjang.

10. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

Going to the event at 1 pm, if anyone wants to meet up :D

PM me.

I'm going to meet up with BoAjjang fellows.

11. MoonsaultV1

MoonsaultV1 Kenkyuusei

^ Jealous. Wish she'd come to Australia. :evil:

I love her new album! It's definitely my favorite album of hers. Here is my review from JPM below.

I Did it for Love - It's really not that bad, but the words "I did it for love" aren't as catchy as "I'll eat you up" so much that I could hear it that many times in a song. It sounds sorta awkward, IMO. The versus are alright though (aside from a few awkward pronunciation errors.) and I love the Sean Garret parts. They just really work. That makes the song for me (alongside with the PV for it from what we've seen). Not really as strong as Eat You Up, IMO. Also her accent sticks out the most in this track too. 7/10

Energetic - It's rather interesting song. BoA sounds so lifeless, yet so cool in this. Like a BoA-bot. It's nice and clubby, it's sorta catchy too after multiple listens. I think once you get over the BoA-bot side of the song, it's cool. Not awesome, but still nice on the album. 7/10

Did Ya - This is so fun and it has attitude, but it doesn't seem to be the image that BoA wants to be having here. Genre-wise it's so different from anything else on this album, but at the same time this is one of the best songs on the album for that reason. She doesn't rely on the auto-tune as much on this song either, and it works really good. I wonder if the placement after Energetic was intentional to give that "WOW. She isn't using auto-tune at all here and she's actually a decent singer" vibe. Great song! 9/10

Look Who's Talking - This song really shines when performed live (with/ without live vocals). The song itself isn't really that great, but performed it really comes to live. Yeah, it's a Britney reject, but it's really fun and I believe BoA has made the song her own. Like someone else said earlier, singing reject songs isn't really a bad thing, Kelly Clarkson wouldn't have a good career if she just sang her own songs. 7.5/10

Eat You Up - The beat is so awesome. I even love the singing these days. Lyrically it's not the strongest, but it's just damn catchy. You can just get into it on first listen, it's just so damn catchy. The repetitiveness of me saying "damn catchy" should speak in volumes about how good I think this song is. Great choice for a lead song for this album. Yeah, there are a few better songs on here, but it's not about picking the best song, because you wanna leave a few surprises for the album, yeah? You just need to pick a good, catchy song which would want people to see more of an artist and I believe that this song can do that for BoA. 9.5/10 (Top song played on my last.fm account which measures everything I play)

Obsessed - Wow. This song is so cool and catchy and I love the lyrics. I can hear the same appeal that "Disturbia" had within this song (expect I like this song more). The lyrics are great, it's not lame and I could hear people chanting along to this song in their car, or singing it at parties drunkenly. (Didn't do that this weekend. :fear:) 9.5/10

Touched - The beat is hot. It's not as strong as Obsessed, but I'm still feeling it. Needs more BoA and less back-up person. :lol: I love the "I wanna be touched" line, it's so believable. I don't like it when people sing about topics and it's unbelievable. No name dropping needed I believe. :fear:. Still continuing the good song streak. 7.5/10

Scream - The beat is good and all, but it's really not half as strong as the Korean version. The guys were the best part of this song, not BoA. Still, it's loads better than GoT in English. 7/10

Girls on Top - Easily the weakest song of the album. I guess I've grown out of the whole "I wanna be true to myself" lyrics. Then she's like "OH, BUT LET ME ON TOP". It sounds lame, shame because the song is so fierce, just needed some semi-suggestive lyrics. Oh, the rap isn't really that great in this version. 5/10

Dress Off - I really didn't like the preview to this song, but surprisingly, this turned out to be a lot better in full. It's so catchy, it's sorta like Britney meets Pussycat Dolls with a sprinkle of Lady Gaga. Me likes. The auto-tune is at a good level, it's somewhere where it adds to the song without really detracting from her vocals. Took their time to find the ideal level. :p The vocal runs at the end actually allow her to sound like she can sing (which this album doesn't really show at all) and it didn't sound over the top 8.5/10

Hypnotic Dancefloor - Awesome song. Everything is really good. BoA sounds sounds the most natural singing this song. The lyrics are decent too and the beat is fully sick. :happy: I knew from the preview that this would be the song of the album. 9.5/10

BoA is a really good debut album, it doesn't show off all of her talent to it's full potential, but Girls on Top was an alright example (which is why I guess it was chosen over her other releases, such as Moto). I guess that BoA's english is alright, but there is still much room for improvement. It doesn't detract too much from the experience for myself, but I'm not sure about other people who aren't used to asian accents would take it. Good single choices will help her a lot, I believe. (Songs in red show good choices for future singles, IMO.)

Loving this weeks Asian attack on the US, it's bringing some the best music from BoA and Utada in awhile. BoA and Hikki are so different, but they are totally different artists (within the pop genre) and they're both really good representatives of asian pop. Hoping that they'll do well, but I'm still skeptical. They'll need to be pimped out much more if they are to get anywhere.

[[I think that I'm really over Eat You Up, I've seriously outplayed it. XD Oh, and I think that Obsessed is now one of my new favorite song after playing it a few extra times.( I edited the score from 8.5 to 9.5) EYU still has the same score, because it really is a great track, I just outplayed it.)]]

12. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

Where's my album!!

My favorite by listening to previews is Did Ya.

I agree with Look Who's Talking's live performance... it's just THAT awesome.

The Korean/Japanese to English ones... I fully agree. They are not a strong and good sounding as the originals. A little bit awkward at times too. English in these songs to me are sorta like wtf? :XD:

I don't think this is her best album... judging by the previews since it has a lot of ehh.
    But her english seems to have improved a lot if you compare Eat You Up to like Did Ya.

Favorite album of hers... I think for me was Atlantis Princess or Love and Honesty.

I might have to go re-listen :^^;:

And I'm sure Best of Soul doesn't count :fear:

Oh and by the way, BoA is #1 for Weekly Oricon! :D

13. tokaikko

tokaikko Kenkyuusei

Still haven't listened to her English album yet, but I'm really enjoying Believe in LOVE from the ravex single Goto Maki also did a song for.

I also haven't seen her on North American TV yet, either, but apparently one of my online friends saw her on Much Music here in Canada at 5am. XD Sadly, I don't even watch Much anymore, so I have even less of a chance of catching a glimpse of BoA on TV.

14. RinaReeChan

RinaReeChan Kenkyuusei

My favourite is definitely obsessed. It strongly reminds me of another song but I can't think what at the moment. The chorus is really addicted.

I wish she'd release this in Europe XD

15. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

Yayayayayay!
    I received my CD yesterday!
    [​IMG]
    I love the coverrrrr. And the Rainbow letter thing is awesome! ^_^

For those who don't have the CD, do you want me to upload it? :O

And after listening, I'd say Hypnotic Dancefloor was my favorite!

"B-B-Burn it up on the Hypnotic Dancefloor~"

16. milaya

milaya Kenkyuusei

^It is a nice cover.
    Though I must say I've more fallen in love with the BEST&USA (2CD+DVD) cover. I think it looks so amazing. I actually thought about buying the album based on that cover :XD: (I have a thing for covers, that's how I found some of my favourite artists) So that's the cover I chose for itunes.

I finally listened to the album. I was postively surprised. The songs are better than I expected. Then I did have very low expectations since BoA's Japanese music has bored me lately. I still need to get around to listen to Eien.

17. Yabai-san desu!

Yabai-san desu! Kenkyuusei

I agree her english is spot on and her choice in music style from something too popyish to more of a hip hop dance album was brilliant for the US market. Its about time asian artists become recognized in the US music world.

18. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

milaya! You should listen to Eien! I think it's a fantastic song. It's definitely interesting...

also the PV! Lots of dancing +_+ & Boy-ish BoA!

To make it easier, here it is with subs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuhskjo6kzk

Oh, and the CD covers.. I like them both :] They are both pretty neat and beautiful~

19. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

i picked up her brand new cd today at HMV in Shibuya, but opt'd not to buy the combo one with dvd included.

20. milaya

milaya Kenkyuusei

^
    ^
    Thanx for the link. Eien is okay, a little average though in my opinion. Not really a song I remember or that gets stuck in my head.

I've really listened a lot to her american album this weekend.
    My favourite songs are, Obsessed, Did Ya and Hypnotic Dancefloor.

And I agree the Korean version of Scream is a lot more interesting.
    I actually annoyed me a bit when I listened to the album, and I couldn't figure out which song Scream originally was. I just knew I had heard it before. And then it finally cam eto me... Ah AnyBand's "daydream".

EDIT:

Okay just looked at the credits for the album. And was surprised about one song.

05. Eat You Up
    Written by Sigvardt, Mikkel Remee / Thomas Troelsen

Haha, they're both Danish. :XD:
    Remee is very famous here in Denmark.
    I just realized he also did DBSK/TVXQ's MIROTIC :shock:
    And when I some time ago heard SHINee's Love Like Oxygen, I couldn't understand how it could sound so much like a song preformed by a Danish artist. Well today I realize it's because Remee did both of them. :XD: