1. Check the 2023 Stage48 Member Ranking Results, how did your Oshimen rank this year?

Open Discussion: What makes a great Center, and why?

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by kazemori, Feb 23, 2019.

1. kazemori

kazemori Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    kashiwagiyuki
    The coveted position of Center, surely every idol should perform there at least once. But what makes a Center good? Is it meticulous perfectionism? Impact? Pure talent? Surely the absolute perfect Center would have all of these and more. But let's talk about reality, what qualities do you expect in a good Center?

Who stands out to you the most, from all of the Centers of the 48/46G?
    What is it about them that catches your attention?
    *(extra credit*) What is your favorite type of idol? Why?

I'm genuinely looking for as many opinions on this as possible for the Idol Research course that I am creating. Fans opinions are very important to idols, so I would like to have more fans perspectives. Though I feel obligated to ask you, please try to avoid arguing. I understand that some people can feel very passionately about things like this, but I implore you to remember that we are talking about opinions here. Everyone's is different, and you aren't likely to change it. Bickering throughout posts is unpleasant to read, and counter-productive to the exchange of ideas. Intelligent debate, however, is welcome, as debate exists to allow details, and constructive critical points to come to light.

2. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
  3. nhs97

nhs97 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    saitoasuka
    Combination of many things. I would say for me that visual is important. Though its different for every individual. Charm too seems to play important role. Visual without charm kind of make the center felt kind of empty(?). I actually like how different center gave different vibe to song. How a center kind of make the song felt like it is really meant for her.

talent for me seems to be one of the bottom needs for a center. though it does give a lot more better impression to the group. Much more important would be how they stand out among their group members....

i kind of new here thus didn't familiar with centers other than Nogizaka46. I would say that Shiraishi Mai make a very good center along with Nishino Nanase and Ikuta Erika.

I'm hoping that Asuka will become a good center for Nogizaka46 since this is a very important period of transition for the team.

4. trxsh

trxsh Member

Charisma and relatively decent performance skills.

Clearly you don't have to be a top singer or dancer. All I ask is that you are not completely tone deaf and that you don't appear to be asleep on stage. This shouldn't need to be said at all, but alas.

Charisma is probably the much more important factor though. By charisma I mean the ability to draw people in and then hook them. Being an idol is about being a performer, but to truly be successful you have to have the ability to make people attached to you and charmed by you. Being attractive is often enough to get people's attention, but there are many beautiful girls in entertainment. If the camera is on you for extended period of time and no one remembers anything about you after, you shouldn't be getting all that screen time, point blank.

See, I'm not very difficult to please. If a center is charming and memorable and doesn't make me cringe when they're on stage- this is enough me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Are-Kun

Are-Kun Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    iwatatesaho
    I, for one, feel like Centers are song dependent. You're always gonna have your most popular, most beautiful, most talented members.

For centers of specific songs, as long as said center fits the specific theme or tone of a song, then everything else is fine by me :approve:

6. Ikutafan

Ikutafan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ikutaerika
    I’ll talk from a Nogi fan persepective (my own opinion by the way, not as for the general fandom)

It’s more like with the theme of the single, I think? Nogi has/had three best centers for the singles they usually release in a year. Nanase for the darker themed songs, Maiyan for summer songs and Ikuchan for lifting-up-the-soul themed songs. These were the besr for each of those, but Nogi had experimented a lot with other members as centers. Though many nogi fans are not really fond of her, but Ikoma was really a good center for songs that needed really energy requiring choreos because she is a really good dancer (feel bad for her that their hater for her overshadowed that fact).

But as overall aura, I would say Ikuchan. (Though a lot of Nanase fans may disagree because many thinks she is the best since she has centered many times.) With just one centered single, she showed her power as a center. She just stands there screaming as perfect center material. Too bad she’s really so busy right with her solo jobs that the management can’t give her center again.

• Like Like x 1