Rate the last film you watched

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by CDevil, Jul 6, 2007.

1. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

Yes, I totally know what you mean. ;)

2. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

SPOILERS (MAYBE) EVERYWHERE

I don't think it will connect directly to Harry Potter.
    Remember this is a spin-off, not a prequel. Characters will appear, for sure, but ending in 1945 doesn't really connect with the Harry story (not even his parents are alive by then).

I expect we'll see...

- Grindelwald, obviously.
    For someone who was supposed to be THE Dark Wizard before Voldemort, he didn't seem like much? lol
    I guess he's still learning the ropes and whatnot and by the last film (set 19-20 years after this one) he'll be awful/amazing. But I do hope we get to see the process and he doesn't just appear as an all-powerful wizard in 2 films.

- Young Gay Dumbledore
    Because you know Rowling wants to anger the haters so she's probably gonna have him say something obvious about his love for Grindy.
    Hoping he'll be played by Richard Armitage or Lee Pace. The nosebleeds will be infinite.
    Alsto note that "young" here means around 40 lol

- Credence aka BAE as Newt's assistant or something
    Cause we all know he didn't die, c'mon.
    It would be cool if we saw him learning how to control the obscurial and using it against the bad guys.

- Lestrange girl trying to lure Newt into the dark (side)
    And hopefully Credence kills her because he's in love with Newt and wants to protect him or whatever.
    Yes, I want more gays.

- Kid Hagrid and Kid Voldemort
    The Chamber of Secrets was first opened when they both studied in Hogwarts in 1943. They're totally not passing over the chance of showing Hogwarts, more beasts (duh), the death of Myrtle, Hagrid's expulsion from the school and so on. There, I gave you the 4th film. [hehe]
    And if they do pass over that, shame on them!

- The wars
    Both muggle and magical. It would be kinda stupid not to show the muggle side of it when half of Europe was being bombed. Like there's no way out of it lol
    If Dumbledore VS Grindelwald's final showdown isn't in a Normandy-like beach, I SWEAR BY THE KAMI!!!

As for the frachise itself, the title of Fantastic Beasts still bothers me a bit.
    It feels a bit more like they just wanted a "known" title for the fans to fawn over more than an actually good title.
    And unless they show a good deal of beasts in every film (and not just the Niffler), it will be just meh.
    Also, if we're gonna be following this story from Newt (and friends) POV, isn't it a bit... anti-climatic?
    Like Grindelwald's defeat is going to be seen from afar or did Newt actually have something to do with it? Aaaaah, the wait!

Now, the only thing that left me a bit "What was with that?" after watching the film is Ilvermorny.
    Like... all the fuss in Pottermore was just for a mere mention at the end of the film? What gives? :confused:
    I don't wanna get ahead of myself, but even though we'll be back to NYC at some point (we have to see the sisters and Jacob at some point), most of Grindelwald's effort focused on Europe, so...

... is there another spin-off coming our way?
    Fantastic Beasts is gonna be THE magic story up until 2026 (my gosh, I'll be almost 40 then), so David Yates is probably gonna be busy with that's done... but another series of books maybe? Or just a one-off? Or a TV show? Or maybe to hell with it and just do another film series with other directors?
    It just feels like a whole lot of world-making just for a single sentence in a movie.

Yep, I'm excited. :^^;:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  3. HogwartsHokage

HogwartsHokage Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    odanana
    ^
    Haha, I worded my sentence wrong. I meant to say Grindelwald and Dumbledore form a link to the main HP universe, not Harry's timeline specifically.

Also, you just spurted out a gold mine of fanfic ideas (that's not a bad thing though ;))

I have yet to hear of news that Newt won't be the main character for all five movies, so yeah, I assumed he would be the main character for now. With that said, I do hope he gets to play a big role in the defeat of Grindelwald and we get to see some instances of Newt helping Dumbledore with that. (Plus, I want to see Newt's and Tina's wedding. :))

It would be great if Ilvermorny was given the same focus that Hogwarts was given in the original HP storyline, but realistically that would be very difficult as most of the main characters in the FB storyline are above school-age at this point. Unless Credence or some other younger characters become heavily involved in the story, I don't expect any wizarding school to take the spotlight soon. An Ilvermorny TV spin-off or one-shot would be nice though.

4. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Maybe I should start writing those lol

Newt is obviously the main character of this. The franchise is named after his book after all.
    It's just that for someone who was barely mentioned in the main series, he now seems to be a lot more important for the Wizarding World lol

And about the school, that's the thing fo Ilvermorny. It doesn't make sense to include it in these films, and more when it seems that they won't even be in America for the next film.
    But then, what was the point of talking in such extension about it? It wasn't like the other schools, which just got a couple of paragraphs, we got a complete story about how the school was founded and so on lol

Ohwell, time will tell.

5. HogwartsHokage

HogwartsHokage Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    odanana
    @Trinu Hurry before someone takes your ideas! ;)

I think you may have been going in the right direction about one thing though...

David Heyman recently confirmed that Newt and co. won't be the main focus of the whole franchise (they'll still be in the next sequel at least). Which is sad imo, because I wanted to see more of Newt's adventures and magical creatures (and of course, his wedding with Tina). On the other hand, Credence is going to get a BIG upgrade to lead character along with Dumbledore and Grindelwald later, so...YAY CREDENCE!!!! :1st:

Edit: Nvm, Queen Jo herself said Newt will be the main character for the franchise. Doesn't necessarily discount Credence's importance though.

Now that I come to think of it, I don't mind seeing Credence as Newt's assistant. :)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  6. Yukitie

Yukitie Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    Kashiwagi Yuki
    Twitter:
    katiechan48
    Double bill for me at the weekend:

Suicide Squad

I went into this with an open mind, knowing the divided reviews behind it.
    I came away without a bad opinion of it, but not a ragingly good one where I felt I had to tell everyone to see it immediately. The acting was good; some of the visuals were OTT; I saw the extended version which meant more Joker, and I didn't think he was that bad either. Overall... it was OK, and that's about as high as I can go with it.

Krampus

My friend sold this to me as 'Christmas comedy horror'. Remove the comedy and you have what I feel about it. The puppets and Krampus himself reminded me of my most hated of films, The Dark Crystal, and I neared the end of it with my eyes covered clutching a cuddly toy. No doubt that it was brilliantly done, that it delivered and that there is room for a sequel, but it's definitely not something I'd watch to get me in the festive spirit!!

I also started watching The Babadook but didn't get chance to finish it ¬¬ so will get back on that ASAP. Aussie horrors are in a class of their own!

7. gocchisama

gocchisama Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    hirateyurina
    Twitter:
    Gocchisama
    Maybe i have to give fantastic beast a try then.

8. karles48

Office Christmas party. It's like a long mad joke. 5/10

9. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    I just watched Kimi no Na Wa last Thursday.

4.8/5

Worth every penny, pardon because I'm not good at giving rating.

Gonna watch Star Wars Rogue One but seems I need a collection of DVDs of all Star Wars film and watch them all before watching Rogue One. My first Star Wars film was The Force Awakens. -_- May the Force be With You. I realized it's an awesome franchise. www

10. Nuneul

Nuneul Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shidamanaka
    The Handmaiden (Ahga-ssi) - 8/10
    esthetically pleasing, notably the set : Hideko's house, mixing the traditional Japanese housing and Victorian style, is the best example. breathtaking acting as well. obviously for a warned public, not just because of explicit sex, but also because of all these ero-guro references in the 2nd part. oddly enough, for a movie directed by Park Chan-Wook, it wasn't that violent. nothing revolutionary about the scenario, which is why I only gave it a 8.
    Korea definitely brings some of the best movies in recent years ; it's only a matter of time before mainstream recognition in Western countries.

11. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Moana (for the second time)

9/10

It's a walk in the park for Disney at this point. They're back in their game and it shows.

I'd say it's much better than Frozen, and it's too bad it won't get close to that one when it comes to the craze that surrounded it.
    Every kid should be singing How Far I'll Go. :^^;:

12. karles48

Yes, it's indeed awesome. However, when you watch the 'oldest' films, bear in mind that they are very old, so don't expect special effects everywhere like now... ;)

13. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    I need to watch Darth Vader & Yoda...
    Give this to people who think Rogue One was Episode VIII:

Attached Files:

14. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

Rogue One

9/10

BLOODY HELL.

This one's gonna leave me scarred.

15. karles48

:approve:
    Rogue one. It took 33 years, but at last I watched another Star wars film I really enjoyed. :omg: And the way they linked it with the first trilogy is perfect. 9.5/10
    ...one of the best things was that all the good guys died. It isn't that I wanted them to die, of course, but it was a BIG surprise...especially if we bear in mind it's a Disney film... ;)
    ...the worst thing, and the main reason why I didn't give it a 10/10 is that it's too hard for me to believe (again) how some of the characters are experts in everything they need to know...for example a pilot who seems to know everything about imperial procedures, electrical stuff...:^^;:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  16. nobodywil

nobodywil Upcoming Girls

Rouge One = Awesome! :v:

The last 20 mins, I was "Marking the F Out" :omfg:

Thanks Disney for that PG-13 rating. :^^;:

17. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

But wasn't that kind of obvious?

I mean, none of these characters appear in the first trilogy, so leaving any of them alive would be like... OK, where are they then?

So there was no other option for them.

I loved that they didn't try to force a love story in there. Jyn and Cassian just hug at the end.

Chirrut and Baze though. :inlove:

18. karles48

Yes, you're right. I guess they could have made something up, but this is the most logical outcome...

19. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    Just watched Rogue One, another 4.8/5 I think.
    I watched it in FX, the mall where JKT48 theater is situated, I met some of my friends who watched a theater show. It was a noon on a weekday so it's true that the cinema wasn't full.
    Actually, I've never watched Donnie Yen films before, it's not a martial art film but he still performed his martial art skills. An interesting fact, last year, he released a film that competed a Star Wars film, this year, he appeared on a Star Wars Film.
    Darth Vader only made appearance just about 15 minutes but he was still a badass & he performed his infamous force choke.
    Impact after watching this film, when I'm in a though moment, I'm gonna say, I'M ONE WITH THE FORCE, THE FORCE IS WITH ME.
    Every Star Wars film I've ever watched, at least one planet destroyed.
    Now, I need to find someone who allow me to borrow his/her collection of DVDs of Star Wars, I need original & prequel trilogy, what's should be the order to marathon the all? 4-5-6-1-2-3 or 1-2-3-4-5-6?
    The film I'm gonna watch next is Assassin's Creed but I heard it already got negative critics. Another film based on game that gone a flop?
    Kimi no Na Wa has disappeared from cinemas in Indonesia. Seems I watched it on the last week it was avaliable on cinemas in Indonesia.

Bonus: cutest Star Wars fangirl ever. Imagine if she were a 48 idol.

I'M ONE WITH THE FORCE, THE FORCE IS WITH ME!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  20. karles48

I suggest 1-2-3-Rogue one (again ;))-4-5-6 so you discover all the story in chronological order.