Share Your Experiences in Japan!!

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Shin, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Adam Sensei

Adam Sensei Kenkyuusei

^ Where I am right now looks pretty much like that, but no fields. Just more of the same kinda buildings.

2. Tatami Mats

Tatami Mats Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    Omiya is great for AKB travel, you're on the Keihin Tohoku line and that goes directly to Akihabara

3. Adam Sensei

Adam Sensei Kenkyuusei

Ah, sh*t. I changed at Ikebukuro. It took a little while. :oops:

Actually, after this week (training week at the training center in Omiya), I'm off to my branch in Fujisawa, Kanagawa. 1 hour from Shinjuku via express train, so I can only imagine Akihabara... Well, I'll be close to the beach... :cry:

4. Tatami Mats

Tatami Mats Member

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    In my opinion you might be taking the wrong trains. Here's some advice.

Fujisawa is 2 stops from Ofuna. Switch the to Yokosuka line, and take that to Tokyo station. About 45 minutes. Then switch to either the Keihin Tohoku or Yamanote lines. If you look at a map, you might realize that the stations go: Tokyo > Kanda > Akihabara. Tokyo >> Akihabara = about 3 minutes.

Don't go to Shinjuku if your destination is Akihabara

By the way, Kamakura is 2 stops from Ofuna on the Yokosuka line

5. ecwx

ecwx Kenkyuusei

http://blog.oricon.co.jp/watarirouka/category_4/
    Ouch !!!! I have to reschedule my departure due to visa processing delay :(

For now, my departure is re-scheduled for 6 or 7 november.

Well, the good part is tomo~tomo calendar will have been released by that time :)

Anyway, I think I'm going to stay at Khaosan Ninja. It's affordable, has free internet access, english speaking staff, 15 minutes walk from AKB48 theater... But I'm still looking for other alternatives, preferably one that has free wireless internet access, and all of the said advantages. :) The part that still bothers me with Khaosan Ninja is their reception is closed at 21.00 (9.00 PM), while my flight will arrive in japan on 21.25

But my plan may change again if my boss decide that he will come with me to japan, my schedule will have to be revised to meet his, and I don't have that much liberty to pick where to stay in Tokyo. But on the brighter side, I won't have to pay for the hotel :)

6. Mr Waffle

Mr Waffle Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    It IS wireless. I didn't get that good reception on the 4th floor, but everywhere else was fine. And that was before the place was fully established so they might've improved it more.

7. ecwx

ecwx Kenkyuusei

Is it ? cool !!! cause their website says to use lan cable to connect to the internet :)

Ok, I'm booking it :) thanks Mr. Waffle

8. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    I think the only place I saw a lan port was in the main reception where most of the free computers are... I used my laptop in my room and down in the common room all the time. I typed up all my reviews etc there :lol:

9. ecwx

ecwx Kenkyuusei

My plane will arrive on Narita at 21.25 on November 7th. What's the best route/transportation to go from Narita to Khaosan Ninja.

My main target of visit in Tokyo is AKB48 theater, of course, but in case I didn't win ticket, I probably go see other places around Tokyo. What places do you recommend to visit ? and what's the best (and most economic :D ) way to travel around Tokyo?

10. Adam Sensei

Adam Sensei Kenkyuusei

ecwx, read back a bit and you'll see that some of us offered up heaps of info on the Suica card and ways to get into Tokyo from Narita.

With regards to what's worth checking out, you can't go wrong with Asakusa, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku, Ginza, and Odaiba. Just get yourself lost in each neighborhood. That's what I did on my first trip to Tokyo.

In terms of attractions, Tokyo Tower, the Imperial Palace, the observation deck of Roppongi Hills, Tsukiji Fish Market, Yoyogi Park, and the Meiji Shrine are all great. It depends on what you're into.

I'm sure there'll be lots of other posts to offer more details.

11. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

ah, i wish i could go around that time, I haven't gone during the fall yet.

Usually i take the LimoBus from Narita airport straight to Shinagawa, where my hotel is at. It is about 3100 yen each way and the bus ride(think greyhound type bus, not a limo car), it take about 80 minutes or so to get there into Tokyo from Narita. The best way to get around via subway and JR train is by Suica if you plan to go often. If you plan to go on JR-Shinkasen to Kyoto and beyond, i suggest looking into getting a JR Rail pass, which you purchase and can get it only in your home country, where available. You exchange the voucher for an actual JR rail pass once you arrive in Narita airport, which you do at the exchange counter basement floor. For a 7 day pass it is about $250, and worth it consider it is unlmited JR train access and JR shinkansen access within that 7 day period. A trip to Kyoto from Tokyo is about 14,000 Yen each way, i think, so already you are getting your money's worth. There is also a 14 and 21 day pass for more. Use the Suica also, and good on Subways. (Note: The JR rail pass is only good on JR trains, Shinkansen trains, BUT not on Subways trains. You will see the difference look for the JR symbols.)
    It really depends on how long your trip will be, what you want to specifically see, and how much you want to spend for your entire trip. What do you really want to see each day, make out a schedule of what you may want to see, be realistic, and be flexible.
    To get to Akihabara you can find it off the JR-Yamanote line(green), or the Chuo(yellow) line. Depending on where you are staying, coordinate your destinations, and recognize off a trainmap(ask for one in english), and look for the Yamanote line Loop, it will be most helpful as this is the main LOOP within Tokyo stopping in the big cities such as Harujuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya, Tokyo station, Akiharbara, Ikebukuro, and others.

Areas to see in Tokyo, besides Akihabara? Shinjuku area, Shibuya 109(Hachiko dog statue), Asakusa Sensoji Temple, Ginza, Roppongi(Tokyo Tower), there are numerous huge shops located in highrise buildings everywhere in Tokyo. I am sure there are many other places, and i didn't even mention visiting Kyoto or Hiroshima yet.

12. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

dredging up an old forgotten thread, that should be brought back into the light.
    And since i am back in Japan, and sorry no photos.....

but right now i am in Fukuoka, sightseeing.
    Tenjin area, which has a lot to see in the downtown area, has the feel of Shinjuku, Tokyo...(think of the movie Lost in Translation). The shopping here in Japan is amazing, and lots of it, i don't think that the shops in America can match that.

13. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

Dead, after being struck in the heart by Chiyuu~
    Yeah I know, unlike America with one story stores side by side taking up a lot of space, Japan has Department Buildings which contain a bunch of stores stacked into one! Also more convenient because you don't really have to drive around looking for a store when a lot of the items are just in one building, or the next one over.

Walking next door > Driving to another store = Japan > America = Win :XD:

14. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

not to mention all that walking and more walking.
    today they were advertising in Tenshin-Fukuoka area, the 1/4 big mouth quarter pounder at McD's, too bad i just had a minature overpriced burger at Lotteria, combo for 710Y, not really worth it, but i had to try the bacon, uhhh i mean ham..lol

Today i saw Kurume, a town 35km south of Fukuoka, and quite honestly, there wasn't much to see there, other than some common town, but maybe cause i didnt explore in detail, and the sake brewery i was contemplating on visiting, was closed and about a 30 min drive. I then caught the train back to Fukuoka, and took the subway train to Tenshin, about 3 exits from Hakata subway station. I walked around for awhile, and visited serveral temples, and then walked thru several malls today. The weather was quite chilly, and despite that, the cherry blossoms are blooming earlier this year since February was a warmer month, but ironically March has been colder. There malls are multi-leveled, and quite extensive of what they sell to consumers, and how many stores is quite plentiful as well. There food, especially their pastry/bakeries, are outstanding. I can write up a page just on that alone.

15. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

i feel like the only one adding to this thread, here goes,

so far i have seen
    Narita, Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shin-Osaka, Kurume, Fukuoka, Nagoya, Kobe, and i still got a week left. Today i head towards Hiroshima to meet some friends.
    I wish america would have something like the Shinkansen, and imagine traveling fast by train, in a timely manner.
    great Japanese food is everywhere, not so much on their burgers, nothing beat american beef, burgers, but everything else in Japan is top-notched. Their pastry is outstanding, and i can name even a donut place that is virtually steps from most trainstations, as other convenient kiosks that sells almost everything, to pastry shops, to ramen stops on the go, to eki-ben(train bento box meals), to other kinds of food places and stores. And not forgetting the amazing curry meals.

....perhaps if i posted pix, there would be more comments from others, ne?
    anyhow, for those who have not traveled to Japan before, or have not traveled to other parts of Japan besides Tokyo area, i recommend you do so, if you like anything on Japan.

16. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

Today i spent most of the day in Hiroshima. I met up with some friends that live in Japan and we visited Miyajima Shrine, and had lunch at an authentic Okonomiyaki place.

Miyajima shrine was built in the year 600AD, and it is Japan's only shrine built on the water.

17. bonkey

bonkey Kenkyuusei

How much money do you have to pay to stay for a month, include fee for food, places, etc.(not live in hotel :p )

18. qilver

qilver Kenkyuusei

i guess it would all really depend on what you are doing in Japan, as a tourist or working, or??
    i could point you out to some websites, but i am away in Japan and not on my computer.
    touring Japan can be quite expensive though, but worth it.

today i saw Mt Fuji from the Shinkansen ride(6 hours from Fukuoka-Tokyo), it was truly amazing, and clear view of the snow peaked mountain top.

the cherry blossoms are fabulous too, and bloomed early this year.

19. Mr Waffle

Oshimen:
    Aki-P
    Twitter:
    mrwaffle48
    Cheapest you could do it (without mooching off friends like I try to) is probably...

~3000 yen/night for hostel
    ~1500 yen/day food if you lived off cheap rubbish (100 yen cup ramen woo :lol: )
    ~300-1000 yen/day train tickets depending on how much you travelled

so ~150,000 yen for a month I suppose, if you really lived cheaply.

Alternative housing-

You can live in gaijin houses which are like rooms in houses to rent, starting from like 40,000 yen/month or so (but those are pretty crappy out-of-the-way places, some in Tokyo can be like 100,000+). Never stayed in one so can't comment on what they're like, though.

Some hostels offer deals where if you do work there during the day you get to stay for free, so that'd make a huge saving. The sign I saw at Khaosan Annex said work 5 days a week between 10am-2pm for free lodging in a 4-bed dorm, I think.

I dunno, that's off the top of my head. There's tons of different options that depend on how much you have, who you know, how much Japanese you can speak, etc...

20. hahaxwill

hahaxwill Kenkyuusei

Dead, after being struck in the heart by Chiyuu~
    ^ That's when I'm happy to know my uncle lives in Japan :^^;:

qilver is like traveling all of Japan xD

Jeebus!