Windows 10

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by ryandtw, Jul 29, 2015.

1. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    I'm quite a computer guy, so here's what I'm asking...

Is anybody ready for Windows 10 (Microsoft)? It's supposedly to come out today (29 July 2015).

2. polar_star

polar_star Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shibataaya
    My boyfriend uses the beta. It looks like 8 & 7 mashed together I guess. Still has some bugs though...

3. peterthepickle

peterthepickle Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yokoyamayuiteama
    I have two of the free upgrades reserved, but I think I'll wait for a while until they've worked out some of the bugs and stuff. But I'll probably upgrade before the free year runs out. DirectX 12 is a pretty big draw for me because I game a lot.

4. karles48

karles48 Member Stage48 Donor

I'm still using Windows XP... :hehe: Yes, it's very old, but I trust it more than I trust any of the the new OS delivered. The thing is that I truly believe Microsoft is only able of two things, make us spend a lot of money for new features we often don't need...and deliver shits full of bugs that bring joy to all the hackers around the world... :^^;:

5. Mimi

Mimi Kenkyuusei

I'm glad they're undoing a lot of the nonsense windows 8 brought us, but I read that there are some privacy issues with 10, since companies are collecting more and more personal data. You're supposed to be able to adjust the privacy settings though, but I never really trust that. :/

6. polar_star

polar_star Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shibataaya
    I highly doubt XP is more reliable than the fixed & patched version of Windoes 8. XP is an old system that's not supported, meaning that it's more vulnerable to be hacked if that's what you fear.

I signed up for the free download of 10 but I think I'll wait a few months for them to fix things up.

7. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Both of my computers are now on Windows 10. Although the process of setting different backgrounds for different monitors have gone more complex than what it used to be with Windows 8.1... (>_<)

...hopefully Microsoft will fix this.

8. Sônnenschein

Sônnenschein Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    minegishiminami
    XP was great, never had any serious problems with. And I really wished XP back as I've seen the miracles of Win 8 :eek:

9. karles48

Well, there's a universal rule that says 'the more complex. the more difficult to make it safe' [hehe]. It's true that XP isn't supported anymore, but I'm quite sure that all the bugs (at least the most dangerous ) have been already fixed and, since nothing new is added, there are few new weaknesses...I still receive from time to time minor updates for my XP so, if after all this time there are still things that have to be fixed ... I wonder how stable the newer OS can actually be... Besides, hackers usually concentrate on what's new and don't care about developing tools to infect stable OS that fewer and fewer people use...

10. polar_star

polar_star Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shibataaya
    "Because XP is so old (10 years as of August 2011) malicious developers have had more time to create software targeting it, and while Microsoft has been able to patch some of the many security problems with the aging operating system, the fact remains that they simply can’t get them all... at a certain point, only so many band-aids and fixes are going to keep things going—to properly address the reality of today’s security needs, the problems need to be addressed from the ground up."
    http://www.howtogeek.com/77788/online-safety-why-you-should-give-up-windows-xp-for-good-2/

Honestly if someone wanted to hack you, XP is just going to make their job easier. 8 is probably the safest option to go for right now.

11. karles48

The difference is that I'm sure hackers are losing more and more interest in trying to hack something users use less and less, it's far productive to try to hack millions of users who have installed the latest releases and won't be surprised if something unexpected happens (after all, it's a new release and some bugs are expected, aren't they?)... That's why every time in the news talk about virus in computers or mobile phones they never talk about old releases...nobody is actually wasting time looking for new bugs in XP to exploit them (if they still exist, of course)... :| Maybe I love XP so much because I have installed both XP and Vista in my computer and, while XP hardly ever gives me a problem, Vista is always crashing, telling that a program I don't know has stopped... Choose the OS that suits you the most, but I'll stay with XP while I can... :)
    PS: that link you posted...when someone wastes half of the space emphasizing how XP is old-fashioned...I felt I was only reading the opinion of someone who loves the new OS and wants everyone to buy it...maybe he even worked for Microsoft...[hehe]

12. polar_star

polar_star Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shibataaya
    Vista was terrible though, I would never recommend that to anyone. But user's complaints about Vista were addressed in 7 anyway.

I don't understand why you are so paranoid about being hacked. You would be safest if you stopped using the internet.

13. karles48

I guess you misunderstood me, because I'm hardly paranoid. In fact, I seldom worry about the dangers of the web when I use the internet and trust most of the worries to my antivirus software and the other applications I installed to prevent things like annoying undesired windows popping up all the time... What I meant is that I truly believe XP is more reliable than the newer OS because it has been tested for decades, and that every new feature that is added to a OS adds weaknesses too so, since no new code is written for XP, the dangers should be more or less always the same (I might be wrong, though, I'm not an expert). Anyway, as I said before everyone is free to decide to use XP, Windows 8 or another... :).

14. Sadia23

Sadia23 Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sadia_alice
    Youre wrong. Sorry to interfere, wont be in here again, just saying.

15. ryandtw

ryandtw Next Girls

Twitter:
    ryandtw_jpop
    Going back to Windows 8.1 (for my daily driver desktop) and Windows 7 (laptop). :(

It was too buggy after all. Things have got to be fixed before I go back to Windows 10! :(

16. karles48

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I can't take seriously the opinion of someone who only pops up to say I'm wrong without giving any reason at all...

17. Sadia23

Sadia23 Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    sadia_alice
    Then don't, didnt write it so that you change your opinion. Just stumbled upon this thread and read something, which I think is wrong. Dont want to get into longer arguments in here, so sorry if I somehow offended you.

18. vutt

vutt Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc
    I guess you have no idea how software development works. Usually all new software versions are based on existing code. So if fresh security bug will be found in latest iteration there is very high chance that it will affect all previous versions of it as well. While recent versions will be fixed eventually no-one cares about 14+ years old legacy stuff.

19. karles48

I'm sorry, but I truly expected a better reasoning from you. It doesn't take a degree on computers to understand that, in fact, there is a very big chance that it WON'T affect all previous versions. If someone finds a bug about Windows 10 now, the chances that it won't be related at all to the new features that have been deleloped after XP (that is, features and code that XP still didn't have) and the bug has gone unnoticed for decades is veeery small... It's like saying that if someone finds a problem in the central locking of the last model of car an automobile manufacturer has just delivered, it will affect all the old models too (even those that don't have a central locking [hehe])... Oh, by the way, I am a software developer too (of course I don't develop OS, my programs are far modest than that) and I'm quite used to the reasons why a new version of a program doesn't work...and they seldom are bugs in the former programs that have gone unnoticed for years despite the fact that they are used every day for hundreds or thousands of people...;)
    PS: this isn't the topic of the thread, and I've already gone off topic for too long (I'm sorry, @ryandtw :fear:) so I'd better leave it here...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  20. Trinu

Trinu Under Girls

I'm thinking of doing the same, tbh.

After I updated my laptop first I couldn't control the brightness of the screen (already happened when we went to 8.1, had to download old drivers off of the Lenovo site).

Then ysterday I logged in my computer and the whole desktop was blank (as if the computer was new).
    I freaked out for a bit thinking I had lost everything, but I checked the hard drive and it was as full as before, so I just rebooted it and everything came back to normal.

Then last night my touchpad stopped working out of the blue.
    It is working again today, but it still makes weird things (if I try to select some text in here, for example, it would change the zoom in the webpage and weird things like that).

I'll give it a couple more days for them to fix things, but if not... -.-"