Why won't you like my oshi!?

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by aakun, Feb 21, 2011.

1. support

support Kenkyuusei

@BloodRim101 :

Let me elaborate: it's unfair on the girls to say one is 'better' than the other because of the very definition of 'better'. I think it's fine to talk about who is more popular, who sings better, who dances better and who talks better etc. etc. BUT I refuse to talk about who is overall 'better' than anyone else. In no way will I ever do that, to me that's putting someone's whole self worth and all that they represent on the table and actively saying someone is worth more than another. That's frankly mean.

If you really want me to say who's better than Paruru at things...then fine. I'll find it much easier to work out who is worst than her though:
    *Kato Rena is probably around her level MC wise, don't quote me on this because I usually skip MCs, this is just based on talkshows and media appearances. I can't think of anyone worse who is promoted in any significant way for me to notice
    *I can't think of a more awkward dancer because they usually don't get opportunities to dance prominently in the media...lemon can be bad? No clue really, no-one's noticably bad generally
    *Generally I find AKB's singing pretty lacklustre because I am a fan of deeper and stronger voices and these seem to be rare. Personal preference. I am not a singing expert but I roughly judge good singing as a few combinations of:

1. a pleasant voice (subjective)
    2. some control where you aren't breathing through every note but at sensible spots
    3. holding long notes that don't die or go flat
    4. voice not cracking or croaking
    5. A good dollop of heart with the aforementioned technicalish skills would be a bonus (subjective).

The only ones in current AKB I personally feel particularly stand out are Takamina, Haruna, Minegishi, Yukirin, Sayaka, Nakamura Mariko, Iwasa, Oya, Kuramochi, Tano and Karen. Ranran has a lot of heart whilst Mayu has quite good control. so...13/88 girls which is around 17% of AKB?

Nogizaka has a whole senbatsu stable full of good singers though which is a lot of fun to watch

You might say I'm nit-picking and too hung up on a word, but words are important to me and that's not going to change. We are talking about real life girls here at the end of the day, you can't be too sensitive with words especially with them.

The lack of skills REALLY wasn't my argument though. I was really trying to avoid turning this into a 'ohmegosh she's like...sooo untalented!' thing because I don't really care too much about that. Skills are nice but not the end all and be all. I only really had an issue with how thoughtless she seems to be with her public appearances because I just end up despairing in a 'WHY do you have to say it that way!? Can't you see how bad that can look!?' kind of way.

I actually like your answer the most out of all of them, you acknowledge that Paruru can annoy people and you understand the possible reasons, yet you are firm about your support and attempted to explain why Paruru is worth it. I don't agree but I can see your view.

I don't think I'll actually write any more about Paruru (unless people pick a fight with me. Please don't, I'm not worth it). I've got it off my chest now and I'm only really annoyed enough for a few paragraphs anyway. Being annoyed with Paruru isn't really worth more than this to me and I can frankly get along with the rest of my life now.

I kind of hope that this will be a similar case to Yui where I will grow to like and respect her a lot, but if not? Meh. I'll live with it. At the end of the day she's just a girl who is an idol for some reason or other.

edit:

@Parikurren: Ouch. Really? Did I really sound that delusional and horrible? Reference a bunch of things that happened a long time ago? I didn't think they were that old...less than 2 years/1 year is not too old right? If not and they were older then my mistake. Even so if you built up some negatives you kind of have to work some brownie points to get rid of them.They don't just disappear with time you know? Unless it's a really long period of time. Like yeaaaars.

I never indicated that my criticisms are 100% valid. They were my personal opinions and I backed it up using things I personally see as evidence. I would place a disclaimer on all my stuff to avoid answers like yours but seriously who has the time? The best I could hope for was to pepper enough explanations and depth of feeling and work towards a good general tone to welcome debate. I also welcomed people to show me another point of view or to answer the valid question I put out. It was obviously not a rhetorical question so I have no clue why you seem to think I have produced an iron proof rant and effectively locked the gate from attack.

I am a little disgruntled that you have picked literally the most minor point of my argument and completely focussed on it. But fine. You probably got sick of defending Paruru from people and this is the standard argument I see everywhere anyway.All I can say is that I'm happy she's improved her skills, I hope she improves further and I don't think it's of the standard to be a front girl yet.

I never said I won't look to see if she's improved. I will look at what I look at. If she happens to be in it which is 80% likely at the moment then I won't turn it off. I haven't changed my mind yet but I just might if the right program came along. I just said that I won't force myself to like her (e.g. to dig through masses and masses of grainy youtube videos to find one where I love her) and I don't want to expend too much energy doing so. I thought it would be a much more pleasant exercise for all if actual fans of Paruru indicated videos to watch to see a more thoughtful side of her. They are fans and therefore probably will enjoy watching Paruru videos anyway so this makes it more efficient and everybody wins. I apologise if it came out wrong.

I really dislike how you appear to effectively jump in with a one-two punch, barely acknowledge anything I say and then jump out again. If you really rarely come here as you say then just let me say this:

Bleurrrrgh! and a raspberry!

I've always wanted to do that :p

That was a fun debate, too much tip toeing around land mines though.

2. BloodRim101

BloodRim101 Kenkyuusei

My last post for this ahm...maybe...argument?

@support: Don't start explaining words, punk, you've been unfair since the beginning.

Personally, I don't want you to like her , cause im not you and your not me and I JUST DON'T LIKE YOU PERIOD.
    But man learn the word RESPECT. I don't need you to respect me but respect the girl cause she's working hard.
    so can you just STHU.

wew...that was fun :D

3. Yuki88

Yuki88 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    KuroiYuki88
    ^ Be careful of your wordings. Some people stay away from a girl because of her fans. You don't want your Paruru to lose more fans, do you?

4. Furumarion

Furumarion Kenkyuusei

Why dont you guys just give support a good Paruru videos instead of calling him punk, unfair or saying you
    dont like him, you want him to respect Paruru so respect his opinion :hmm:

5. oscarwilde

oscarwilde Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    shimazakiharuka
    Twitter:
    oscarwilde48
    let's see:

Dancing: The most important part of a performance consists of two things: facial expressions and body movements that fit the song.
    she's generally very good at those in concert performances and senbatsu performances on TV (MST, ...), you can see she practices a lot. But generally, she takes the freedom to go easy a bit in theater performances or other low-profile events. But that doesn't mean her performance is bad in those. Since in those you can see a normal girl just enjoying herself, meaning you can see her react/smile a lot to the spectators and exchange smiles with other members. The fans want to see the girl's personality, they get that.

MC'ing: Again, I think you miss the point of the girls having MC's. They have MC's so that the fans can directly hear from the girls, get to know them and find out if they like their personality or not. The fact that her MC are treasured by her fans tells you, that people understand her and just love her Komaru personality. You're free to not like it though.

Singing: well I like it. Her singing only gets a bit shaky when she sings really loud. Her voice is really sweet though before that point.

Since you asked for videos:

- AKB to XX! ep 37 130516
    (handcuffed Paruru is so cute :inlove: )
    - SHUKAN AKB ep 158 120817
    - Saturday Night Child Machine (she has her own corner there)
    - Bakaleya

6. mieniem

mieniem Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kuramochiasuka
    Hmmm.... so from what i understand; akb fans(that aren't Haruka fans) see Haruka fans as hopeless in terms of trying to understand weak or bad points about Haruka and Haruka fans see akb fans (that aren't Haruka fans) as hopeless in trying to actually understanding the charming points of Haruka.

I wonder if both sides are actually hopeless or if one or both sides are just being delusional.

7. seiryu

seiryu Kenkyuusei

This kind of topics always divide the fandom, doesn't it? :D

Let me state a fact first. Paruru's army of fans and haters seem to only grow since she was pushed to be center (probably when she suddenly won the janken right after AkiP claimed the 2nd chapter and the new center will be from 9gen). The proof of her growing fan army is her sousenkyo rank between last year and this year. The proof of her growing hater army is, well, this kind of thread :).

For me, Paruru is good to be a senbatsu but I also dislike her being AKB's center. The reasons that Paruru deserves to be a senbatsu:
    - Paruru remains one of the most popular young gens, even before her super-push
    - Paruru is kawaii desu ne [hehe]. Eye candy is always necessary for my eyes :D
    - Paruru is quite unique. A salty ponkotsu idol is interesting
    - Her lack of skills is not really important when she is just a senbatsu. After all, Paruru's singing and dancing skill is still better than Mariko-sama to be fair :D

But, she should not be a center:
    - Skill is important for center. If using Acchan as indicator, center receives tons of screentime and lots of solo lines. No one could cover her in such case. Sorry but I love my eye and my ear. The same for MC skills as well.
    - Paruru's skills is, although still acceptable, worse than most other center candidates. I think Paruru's singing is worse than both Mayuyu's and Acchan's and her dancing is far worse than Yuko's. And let's not talk about Jurina and Sayanee which are so good. Compared with SKE and NMB, AKB's fans surely feel upset with Paruru.
    - Paruru divides the fandom and AKB still needs half of its fandom.
    - Most importantly, Paruru's love for AKB is always questionable for most fans. Her lack of enthusiasm in some performances, her audition rumors, her lines such as "Even if you hate AKB48, Don't hate me" (joke or not) do not give a very good impression. Despite Acchan's many weaknesses, it is unquestionable than Acchan really loves AKB. Thus, AKB fans naturally do not want a girl who does not really love AKB to be its center.

8. support

support Kenkyuusei

@ rka: I wasn't planning on writing about this topic again because too much unnecessary drama etc. but I just wanted to say that your comment really stood out in a good way. It was really unbiased and as fair as you can hope for in such a subject!

And you know what? I think you've actually convinced me. Now that I've seen the videos you have listed I can really see how management kind of forced the salty image on Paruru. She really is normal and ordinary at the end of the day. Lovable within many circumstances just like anyone else

I think you summed it up perfectly when you said she was cuter than most, less talented than others and was just normal. I also agree that her amount of push is probably too much at the moment.

I hope you guys won't be too harsh on Bloodrim though. I'm ashamed to say this but I'm actually feeling quite smug because he had just proven how important words can be.

It was also my fault that it got so tense because I let myself be goaded into talking about other girls, when I really should have stayed focussed on Paruru and not bring other people or talent into it too much.

I also shouldn't have tried to lighten the atmosphere by being childish or silly, I should have known it could come out wrong with so many fans on high alert.I'm glad to meet some relaxed Paruru fans, but I don't think I should push my luck any further now lol.

But.......let me do one last unfunny thing....

I'M PUNKING OUT! YEAAAAAAAAH! [rock]

9. Buddy P. Sokarijo

Buddy P. Sokarijo Kenkyuusei

I dont prefer photo books as a indication of how great they are. Thats somewhat realy wrong...

10. BloodRim101

BloodRim101 Kenkyuusei

I gave that example cause it's one of the latest thing about her. She can audition in some drama, commercial, brand model (like the Disney thing, clothes and bags) etc. or go back to the theater shows which I believe is one of the best way to maintain local fans and polish her skills.

11. arifer

arifer Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    arifer48
    Well, breaking the Paruru fight here, I'll be talking about the one girl that I seem to not like at all.

Yamamoto Sayaka,

I don't get the hype over her, she just doesn't seem to appeal to me in any way at all.
    Don't even mention her voice to convince me, I like her singing voice, but don't like her normal voice at all :/
    Her husky voice isn't the same as Nana's weird/cute voice, or Milky's sugary voice, or even (Akimoto) Sayaka's husky voice as well.

12. Yuki88

Yuki88 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    KuroiYuki88
    ^ Now this is unique lol.

I want to know if there's anyone who dislikes Oshima Yuuko? And then Iwata Karen? :awesome:

13. Jester48

Jester48 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamauchisuzuran
    Twitter:
    UnknownJester_
    ^ I use to not like karen long ago.. but that was my mistake and I have corrected that XD

I don't even know what it was about her that I didn't like tbh. So i watched everything i could about her and now i really like her lol.

14. mieniem

mieniem Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    kuramochiasuka
    I'm not actually much of a fan of Sayaka either, but if I had to guess its cause she has a strong yet pretty character. She shares none of the same weaknesses as Haruka and because at times she stern its fun to mess with her. She also has some solid talents like guitar playing.

15. arifer

arifer Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Twitter:
    arifer48
    That is true, but I still prefer Nacchi's guitar playing more than hers :/
    Sayaka's guitar playing didn't actually wow me much like Nacchi's

16. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

Yamamoto Sayaka is my favorite girl in NMB because she's the responsible leader type, highly respects Takamina, has a great voice and other talents (her guitar playing and her dancing is obv great too). I think she's really great for the hard work she obviously puts in and how much the other girls say they love her, too. Her friendship with Yui is really adorable as well.

I guess the main draw just by looking at her is her unique beauty, she looks very different from any of the other girls in the 48group. I guess some people might not find her as beautiful as others do though, it might be a matter of taste.

17. leoASH

leoASH Kenkyuusei

paruru
    the more i read the debate of fans about paruru the more i dont feel like to know about paruru :hmm:

yamamoto sayaka
    past: early nmb48 debuts i really cant help but focus on her especially she is the center..she got the looks of japanese old time beauty with that long black hair..she was determined & was awesome center for nmb with her genkiness...she really was my nmb oshi at that time.
    present: now my interest in her just remain natural..although i agree that mostly people talking about her being good leader, her epic genkiness, cool & awesome voice..but my interest on her already stop which is transfer to milky [hi] ...although she is good leader but her present as senbatsu in akb was hardly seen which is different from milky..also her short hair which held back my interest on her:^^;: (this just my preferences).
    Also i wish that she can start free being socially with other senbatsu member especially mayuyu :inlove: (coz i want to seem them both badly). Yuihan is member that i can see more can replace takamina captaincy than sayanee. Her craziness between yuko & milky was on the same par & she was always doing it with her whole body but i still prefer milky coz she just like airhead girl like haruna :hehe:

yuko
    i just hate her or feel gross at the past when i was non fan akb when watch hebirote pv which show half her butt ( can't help but notice it after read on youtube comment & international people at that time was really like to compare snsd & akb :^^;: )
    but after i'm notice about the rival centre between yuko & acchan..i can't help but pick yuko instead after seeing her genkiness & cool dance. her pervertness & humor sense was so funny that i can't help but laugh everytime i watch her on akbingo. Now she is my 2nd oshi. :^^;:

18. csidni

csidni Kenkyuusei

^ Haha, it's just a pain in the ass to go through all the SNH members I don't know to get to Sae in the ranking software (Query48) I use lol

At least for my ranking (which I was about to post after reading this thread) I can assure you I love Sae as well so please God, spare the kitten.

19. hjr1891

hjr1891 Member

Oshimen:
    IxR
    Milky.

I don't hate the girl, I just am not super thrilled by her. Her "fishing" reminds me way to much of a manipulative ex-girlfriend of mine. :hmm: As long as she is performing on stage I don't have a problem with her, infact I quite enjoy her performances. But anywhere else, she just doesn't do it for me. [shake] Shame to, for she is quite beautiful. She is the only one who is either currently in or was previously a member of my beloved Team B that I am not in love with. And this makes me very sad. :(

20. Under The Ribbon

Under The Ribbon Member

I wonder how I look talking about NMB girls with my obnoxious profile pic and signature?

Yamamoto Sayaka:

First of all, I think her short hair is adorable, and I don't want her to go back to that long hair ever again. Her competitiveness and boyish personality are big parts of her appeal (not to open a can of worms, but as far as tomboys go I prefer Sayanee over Sae. I think it's because Sae is taller and that makes her resemble a boy a bit too much. Sorry! :worthy: ).

I'm not a big fan of the "Saya-nee" PV though. I have no doubt that she is a great leader, but that video just looked too manufactured. Some times (most times?) when the management tries too hard to tell you to like a girl, it ends up having the opposite effect.

Watanabe Miyuki:

Something people might not realize is that Miyuki's career in NMB hasn't been all that smooth. The worst part was probably when she was excluded from NMB's 2nd single, and for a time it looked like management was going to start pushing Jo instead of her. That couldn't have been easy to take for a girl aiming for the top, but she was strong enough to keep working hard, until her popularity eventually exploded with the whole fishing and "ChapuChapu" image about a year later. She could've easily faded into the back and become just another pretty face - NMB has a lot of those, but she didn't accept that and reclaimed her spotlight, and for that I respect her.

And while she's had a few victories over Sayaka with the PB battle and AKB RH 2013, when it comes to the Sousenkyo she has always been NMB's #2. It obviously doesn't help that management produced a PV just for Sayaka in the 7th single. Miyuki is just as competitive as Sayaka is, if not more. And the fact that she's still here, working hard and creating opportunities for herself, is enough to keep me supporting her.

As for Mirukii reminding you of your manipulative ex-girlfriend, I can assure you she is the last person I expect to get into a relationship at the cost of her career, and any wota that believes otherwise is just fooling themselves :^^;:

The easiest way to enjoy SayaMirukii though, is to just ship them as a couple [hehe]