Best and worst singers in 48G

Discussion in 'General AKB48 Discussion' started by Crests, Mar 31, 2014.

1. tyt0nidae

tyt0nidae Kenkyuusei

Best for me: Xu ChenChen, Xu ChenChen and XuChenChen.

snh48 fag(?)

2. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    I always thought everybody said Yukirin was a great singer because she was like the least horrible sounding one out of all senbatsu members.
    I don't think her singing is extraordinary and her voice isn't really pleasant to the ears. But that's a matter of taste so I can understand if some of you love it.

And if we're also speaking about worst singers,... Oshima Yuko anyone ? I don't think I've ever seen any live performance from her that didn't make me cringe. Sometimes she can't even say the last "heavy rotation" in tune at the end of the song.
    Live Tomochin was kinda cringe-worthy too sometimes.

Just to be cautious: let me remind you that I like Yukirin, Yuko and Tomochin. Tomo was even my oshi in the early days. I'm not hating on anyone here, just stating facts and personal opinions that don't really matter since they're idols and they don't need to be good singers to be worshiped.

3. garnetjester

garnetjester Member

ETA: Yuko is not a good singer by any stretch of the imagination, and she knows it herself, but I like how she still works hard to manage to sound at least decent most of the time. Her voice is not particularly pleasant and her range is very limited, but I like that she at least practices a lot (she even got coaching from Yuka to sing Nakinagara Hohoende) to manage to sound alright. (same goes for Tomochin, who isn't a good singer either, but tries her hardest to sound passable and manages to do so most of the time, in my opinion)

My personal favorites are Sayanee and Yukirin. I just like their tone. I'm not personally that fond of super powerful voices like Yuka's so while I accept that she's a wonderful singer, and I loved her to death, she's not exactly my cup of tea. Wasamin's technical prowess is undeniable too, and since I like enka very much, she has always been one of my favorites.

Akimoto Sayaka was one of my all-time favorites, she didn't just have a proper tone and hit all the right notes, but I also loved how much emotion she could convey with her singing.

Kuramochi Asuka is also great, with her deep rich tone, and Furukawa Airi too, although I feel like they could really benefit from some proper training to become even better. Churi is pretty good too, and Mieko is amazing. Nakanishi Yuka has an interesting voice as well.

I have always loved Haachan beyond all reason, but you have to admit that she's a fantastic singer. Her Junjou Shugi is unrivaled, and she was (imo) much better than Takamina at Itoshisa no Accel.

I personally am partial to Yui's voice, she's super high pitched, but her singing is always spot on, her falsetto in her Blue Bird cover was a little lacking, but she's definitely good enough for an idol, and above average for AKB standards. It's a shame that apparently she doesn't want to pursue singing as a career in the future but wants to act instead.

Miyu and Karen are examples of young girls who are vocally very talented (and Miyu is a fantastic dancer too, to boot) and I'm sad that they don't get a lot of opportunities to showcase their talent anymore...

SDN in general sounded leaps and bounds better than AKB in anything and everything they sang, and individually, Kato Mami, Rachel and Chaki were super awesome in my opinion.

When it comes to graduated members, can't forget Rinatin, one of my first favorites when I became a fan. I loved her breathy sweet voice so much! And then there's Michiru who was great at singing, really used her range to the best of her abilities and was always great live. Can't forget my personal favorite, SKE's graduated member Matsushita Yui. Her voice in Innocence and Mangekyou is what made those songs my favorites.

I have to give an honorable mention to Mayuyu, because while she has a very weird voice and she's not "good" by any traditional standard of her definition, she's one of the most improved singers in AKB history, enough to hold her own as a solo performer. She's very stable in her singing, and I'm always surprised when I hear her live. I'd like to include Sasshi and Rena here too, because their voices are lacking but they manage to hit all the right notes and sound decent. And of course, I can't forget Tomochin, who has a very limited range, can't project her voice well and is technically not very good, but by sheer discipline and a lot of vocal lessons has managed to pull off a solo career pretty well.

Takamina's voice was my original favorite when I got into the group, but I think her case is one of talent gone to waste, pretty much. By not offering her a proper training when she debuted, she couldn't learn proper techniques and I hear her straining her voice a lot lately and going flat and shaky when she used to be much better than that. Granted, she must be exhausted with all the stuff on her plate at the moment, but if she wants to become a singer (which I really admire her for, and will support her all the way if she does) maybe she needs to put some distance between her AKB functions and her training, because she needs to improve in areas where I'm sure she can get better with some direction.

And finally, about Acchan, she's good and has that typical "sweet" idol voice I love, but she has no power behind it and she tends to get shaky on high notes. So she's good on studio, not so pleasant to hear live.

Now, going into the "girls who can't sing" territory, I have to put a disclaimer first saying that I don't hate or dislike any of the girls I'm going to talk about next, I just think they are on variable levels of tone deafness :awesome:

1. Kitahara Rie: Kitarie has always been one of my favorite members, but the girl is so tone deaf... She even admits it herself, in one of the Not yet extras for Naminori Kakigoori, where she talks about how she never thought she'd end up being an idol because she sucks at singing.

2. Tomonaga Mio: Man, that video of her completely murdering Aoi Sangoshou was one of the worst karaoke performances I've ever heard in my life. Just all around horrible, with her being unable to hit most of the notes and her super shaky voice. She might be the cutest girl to ever walk the Earth, but singing is not her strong point.

3. Miyazaki Miho: I'm probably going to get hated because of this, but I've never been a fan of Myao's singing. She has a powerful voice but she's kind of tone deaf, especially when she's taken out of her range. She's very hit or miss for me.

4. Shinoda Mariko: Love her to death but homegirl was flat a lot in her singing. She even got teased about it in a TV show with SMAP because Nakai is as tone deaf as she is despite being idols [hehe]

There are a lot more girls I could include in this group, but honestly, it's been so long since the last time I've heard most of them singing live (because of the fact that I don't have free time anymore and whatever little free time I do have I use it in different things). From a technical standpoint, only Wasamin could pass industry standards as a singer, but I think it's a shame that there are so many talented girls in the group who never get chances to showcase their abilities. I know that music isn't important for idols at all, but I wish that those girls who do like it and have potential were offered lessons or at least positions in stages where they could prove their talent.

4. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    @garnetjester Great post. I don't think there was even one thing in there that I disagree with. I found myself nodding affirmitavely for the entire read.

5. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

What's amazing about Yukirin is how absolutely consistent she is live. She very rarely hits a wrong note, which is incredibly difficult to pull off, especially when you take into account nerves, singing to a backing track with a headphone shoved in your ear, etc. Even if you don't like her voice (which is very smooth and nice to listen to, imo), you have to respect that she's more consistent than most live singers. See her on some music shows where she duets with more established artists, and she ends up doing better than the person she's paired with [hehe].

6. yamiperv

yamiperv Kenkyuusei

Well, I'm gonna support my girl Minami and say she's the best. Yes, I am bias, sue me :p

Anyway though, I don't think I need to provide any video since she is really well known. Her Itoshisa no Accel, Oteage Lullaby, and Plastic no Kuchibiru + Beginner + Shinkokyuu live is awesome. Her Koisuru Fortune Cookie Karaoke version is really nice too, but sadly AKB48 made it private. The next best thing I could provide for the Minami Koisuru version is from Mujack, but she sang it with 2 other guys (which I think sucks)... heres the link to my tumblr where you can see it:
    http://lezperv.tumblr.com/post/79292368807/minami-koisuru-fortune-cookie-from-mujack
    I really love her nasally voice sometimes though, I think its really sexy. Also, she can hit both low and high notes, right? Thats talent in itself. I'm not a singer, but I joined a choir class for a year as an alto, and it was really hard. I thought alto means low, but No, we have to sing high sometimes and have to use our head voice. Anyway... I love Minami's voice, I have her as my ringtone, alarm tone, even text tone hahaha :D (obsess much, right?)

I agree with most people that Atsuko can't sing at first, but over time, she really did improve. I love her voice now, its really mature and its just music to my ears ^_^ She sang live for Nagisa no Cherry during the Request Hour of 2012 and its really good. Then there are her live performances for her singles too. She definitely improve :cute:

Akimoto Sayaka is good too. I like her voice, she got that unique voice that I don't know how to describe, and she's beautiful too. I really don't like it when people call her gorilla and stuff X3

I heard Yukirin live during the Kouhaku for Sakura no Hanabiratachi. I thought she was pretty good. She definitely got a feminine voice lol.

Kuramochi Asuka is good too. I forgot where I heard her live from, but during an episode of Bimyo where she had to do the finishing touch for Enka, I thought she was amazing.

Kasai Tomomi, is good too. She got that sexy cute voice that I can't describe. You can especially hear it for her Dakishimeraretara.

For people who can't sing. The only people came to mind is Yuko, Mariko, and Mayu... I keep hearing people say Yuko can't sing and well, she can't, but she got her charm.
    Mariko has to use auto-tune for her solo Plastic no Kuchibiru. I know the song was supposed to be like that, but when Minami sang it during Kouhaku, you can definitely hear hers vs. I can't really distinguish Mariko's.
    I never heard Mayu live, but that kid voice doesn't seem good to me. I don't mind if people wanna show me her vids to correct my opinion.
    I also don't think Rena or Jurina can sing... Rena sounds weird singing Atsuko's Nagisa no Cherry, and Jurina kinda butchered Minami's Itoshisa no Accel
    Sasshi? Can she sing? I'm not sure on her... :confused:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  7. Tris-chan

Tris-chan Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    yamadanoe
  8. MuhdNurHidayat

MuhdNurHidayat Kenkyuusei Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    watanabemayu
    Twitter:
    mnh48com
    For me, I think the best singers in 48G is Takahashi Minami (even though she's not my oshi)
    How awesome it is when she sang Jun'ai no Kuresshendo and I can feel it down my heart!
    The video that I watch has been deleted from YouTube and I'm lazy to search new video (because Flash Player always hanged each time loading video), go search it, really awesome Takamina!

I was previously Acchan-oshi and she also sang very well, cherry cherry boy, cherry cherry girl, anata ga hashiru... she's still in my "following" list but not "oshi" anymore because I only use the term "oshi" for non-graduated member...

For worst singers... hmm... I don't have experience so I couldn't say anything about this... [hehe]
    So far, all girls are singing well (even though I noticed Yuuko sometimes ends HebiRote badly)

Anyway, Tentoumu Chu! members are "cute" in singing... [hehe]
    But I won't forget Watarirouka Hashiritai!! :D

9. Ender Wiggin

Ender Wiggin Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    aaabbbccc
    Just wanted to add a name to the best singers list that seems to have been left out. Sato Natsuki. Can't forget about Nacchi!

if the video does not show watch the video here

10. Cristafari

Cristafari Stage48 Admin Staff Member Stage48 Admin

Oshimen:
    Iwasa Misaki
    Twitter:
    Cristafari
    I'll just leave this here...

Wasamin's performance of the National Anthem in Hiroshima.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  11. Red13th

Red13th Member

Oshimen:
    shimadaharuka
    This so much

12. M4YUYU

M4YUYU Member Stage48 Donor

Oshimen:
    mutuotomu
    Twitter:
    tomutomutomuuuu
    I think Masuda Yuka and Wasamin are the most technical with great range. I like Wasamin's singing, but marketing her as an enka singer doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Dunno, I think she sounds too pop-ish to be an enka singer. I also like some unique voices such as Sayaka's (both Sayakas). I've never bought into Takamina's singing. Her voice is easy to pick out and she hits the notes, but I don't think she has it in her to be a great solo singer.

Now about bad singers, I can only base my opinion on members who have quite a bit of solo lines... Yuko is meh, haha, but nothing grinds my ear more than Jurina's, especially since she's got so many solo lines! The screeching nasal sound! AAAARGGGHH!

13. Deyan

Deyan Member

Twitter:
    MrWeilai
    That's what I love the most about her sound actually.:^^;:
    I love that she doesn't sound like your typical Enka Obachan.

14. haruna_hamasaki

haruna_hamasaki Senbatsu Staff Member Studio48 Admin

Live singing is the best way to determine best and worst singer. I don't know who are worse singing among 48-groups members.

Here are my picks for best singers:
    1. Takahashi Minami (her deep voice in Skirt, hirari and Bird makes me fall in love with her, also the reason why she's my Oshimen)

2. Hoshino Michiru (ex-AKB48 Team A member, 1st generation member)

Others are just on par.

15. Yuki88

Yuki88 Kenkyuusei

Twitter:
    KuroiYuki88
    I'm too lazy to say anything here so I shall just leave these videos of best duo in 48G ever:
    Masuda Yuka + Sato Natsuki = N-Tako

Yuka only:

Nacchi only:

16. Aisansan

Aisansan Kenkyuusei

I had a lot of hopes for the SNH48 girls when they started...still waiting. Though I have that Xu ChenChen recording on my phone and listen to it in the car sometimes, she sounds nice. But hard to tell from one pretty controlled song. But the timbre of her voice was nice...and look forward to more songs in that range from her.

Listened to two girls from JKT48 who just sang off the cuff on TV when requested on the spur of the moment...and they did so perfectly, really impressed. I think the JKT girls sound the best of the lot as a group, deeper and stronger voices? and think there are some really good voices in there....maybe they are physically bigger and stronger?

That singing of the Anthem capella yesterday, almost zero musical backing, to open the baseball game, by Wasamin was eerie/haunting. It takes some guts to be able to do that.

There are/have been plenty of girls with potentially good voices, really good voices in AKB, but never had the chance, training, confidence or desire to aim for solo singing. Something you have to have a real passion for and nerves of steel. Solo singing in the AKB group is ok as mistakes and off notes nobody cares about. Outside it isn't acceptable. Getting up on stage, national tv, auditorium etc in front of people who are there for good singing and expect good singing, and with a group of other solo singers who Are good singers....is pretty nerve wracking and falls back on natural ability and all that training. Some with potential may not make it because its too big a step, they will be great singers in the karaoke bar etc.. but step to be a professional standard singer is a big one. Some can do it as a solo singer inside AKB for AKB fans, the big test comes when that crutch is taken away. Nerves of any type is the big enemy of a singer....something that shows up very easy in the voice...so there is training in how to deal with that, or simply to rechannel it. Ono is out there, Yuka went into it as well....the rest we have to see how they are able to sing for non AKB crowds to see if they can make the professional jump, even though they may have the voice and some talent.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  17. Ribbon

Ribbon Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    ishidaharuka
    I've always felt that Yuka and Nacchi were fantastic singers,and it was sad seeing them go. Apart from them,there's Yukirin,Myao (I like her power),Sayanee and Miyupon (her version of Romance Kakurembo was brilliant!).

On the opposite end there's imo Kirarie,Mariko and Yuko.

18. Dante

Dante Member

Twitter:
    CurlyUdon
    In terms of group singing, I think Nogizaka46 has an edge compared to 48 groups. Usually, 48G only sing live in small units or individually. But Nogi's whole senbatsu and even its whole group can sing live. Well, group size can be an issue for 48G.

Kimi no Na wa Kibou

Kokoro no Kusuri

Kizuitara Kataomoi

1985 medley (I think some geekeries were already done with the audio here, but still pretty much gives impression on how they sound individually.)

And individually, I think Kawamura Mahiro's voice stands out the most.

Mikazuki

19. sdn48oshi

sdn48oshi Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    tanoyuka

Kasai is hideously under appreciated as a singer. Yes she has a high voice, but she has excellent control and she can actually hold her notes.

20. Furukawa_Akane

Furukawa_Akane Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    Agreed. Since Kasai's debut, I've liked Loved her vocal skills. I mean her high pitch i think used to be one of the highest in AKB. But that doesn't mean anything else is bad about her singing. One of her best performances in AKB has to be Blue Rose with French Kiss (Kuramochi, Takajo and Kashiwagi) @ Tokyo Dome. I think it was one of those performances where you don't really hear her high pitched voice and actually blended in with Yukirin's voice (Funnily enough). Being Yukirin oshi I think Tomo~mi's voice is nicely fitting with hers~ Personally this is what I think. You can disagree but don't be to harsh :0

The Blue Rose performance I am talking of :)