Single Sakurazaka46 8th Single [Ikutsu no Koro ni Modoritai no ka?] (2024/02/21)

Discussion in 'Sakurazaka46 News & Releases' started by Bibi, Jan 14, 2024.

1. Philosophy Senpai

Philosophy Senpai Next Girls

Oshimen:
    Saito Fuyuka
    I finally managed to listen to all songs from this single. My general view is that the "zaka" has already left behind so many miles and has so much way ahead of it. The group has managed not only to break-off from its (succesful yet painful) past, but also rise to the point of leading (IMHO) the Sakamichi supergroup! Sakurazaka46 has created milestones after milestones and keeps producing amazing work!

So respects and love to everyone involved and above all, the awesome young ladies!

The 8th is raising the level even more if one sees it "as a whole". There are songs that shine and others not so but the algebraic sum is positive and that's all that matters. Compared to past singles, noone can be 100% sure to say that the X song here is better than e.g. Start over or any other (I'm referring to Start over as I consider it - personally of course - as the "afterburner" that boosted the ascending trajectory of the group into glory).

Now for each songs:

1. Ikutsu: Another one A-side success combining a delicate melodic curve with hard elements and fast paced J-pop, well into the "progressive" area. I slightly prefer it over its 7th predecessor - but just slightly. However, I have full confidence that Ten(sai)-chan will turn it "inside-out and upside-down" at concerts, she can do it (and grab all the rest of the gang along the way)!
    2. Nando: It definitely carries the "freshness" and "air of adventure" of all 3rd gen songs so far. It is reminiscent of "Natsu no". However, as I keep listening to it I get increasing "side-effects"...: the initial mellow feelings, have turned to chills and now are turning into teary eyes. I love it SO MUCH! Maybe because I love Miu so much I am quite biased but the song soars in the Zenith of my personal Sakurazaka galaxy! And yes! the song managed to overthrow the ghost of another "school-themed" song from the past. I prefer it so much more than "Student Dance"...
    3. Abura: Many people consider it not so in line with the rest. Allow me to digress - the song is so... funky? swag? It is a wild party song that raises the spirits. Oh, and has by far the best MV!!! (Chuke you're a treasure, so precious... - Also, Rika is super sexy with her outfit - check it out!)
    4. Manatsu: I wonder how they'll render it choreographically in concerts. It's a Rock song (with capital R) that could be the opening theme of an anime with a cool theme... But a very likeable song.
    5. Kokoro: At the start it carries an aura of soul songs of the '70s (the use of horns and that "funky" guitar). Another easy-to-listen-to concert song that fears not to sail away in the waters of experimentation leaving behind a progressive aftertaste...
    6. Koi wa: A milder version of #5 Kokoro... and also with a more disco profile (as so rightly @blabla123 already pointed out)
    7. Nakasete: Just from the intro it has that known feeling of "OK, gals... you have my ears..." It is that different song, the one that keeps its distance from its suposedly siblings. Maybe it's the one song from the same mother but a different father LOL. But it's not bad: an epic start, followed by typical fast paced electro-pop in an ambient tonal environment to conclude in short oriental musical forms. Relax, boys and girls: it's an experimental song. Personally I won't dismiss it, on the contrary, it will be replayed again and again. The rest, is left to the future to judge (and it's acceptance in its live form). After all, it proves so strongly how this group is embracing differentiation in musical styles...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Thank you for this. I didn't understand what she said, but Ishii-san's poke did seem like encouragement. And Ten-san's reaction was so natural and yet polite. The whole exchange made me like them both.

3. Furukawa_Akane

Furukawa_Akane Member

Oshimen:
    Morita Hikaru
    For me the single as a whole is great. I've been repeating it ever since it came out on Spotify for me lmao But I do understand people's gripes with it.

4. JaeRoler

JaeRoler Kenkyuusei

if the video does not show watch the video here

Dance Practice!
    I like how the centers of the various singles move forward to the center at times.
    Dance itself less callbacks to the various dance moves.

• Like Like x 3
  5. sscrla

sscrla Stage48 Moderator Staff Member Stage48 Moderator

Oshimen:
    Takayanagi Akane
    UTACON (available for a limited time)

if the video does not show watch the video here

6. Bibi

Bibi Kenkyuusei

Somehow, today my tl is full of sakurazaka related tweets. I wonder if it's because I follow them? Or they're really a hot topic right now, but I hope it's the latter. As someone who started following them since their 3rd single, 2021-2022 was a very difficult year for me. We barely got anything back then, so I'm really happy that they got a lot of exposure :cute:

• Like Like x 1
  7. watash.Iwa

watash.Iwa Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    小林由依
    Maybe because Sakurazaka had a sort of viral moment in kpop tweet. In a post about lack of creativity and boring covers in kpop, the same person quoted a post with jpop covers, especially Sakurazaka single covers.

The tweet is currently with 30k likes: https://x.com/ymmfsl/status/1760436042828861615?s=20

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Just a few numbers to conjure with. Ikutsu no Koro is down in CD sales from Shounin Yokkyuu but up significantly in Meet & Greet sales, as of the 5th sales period.

Oricon CD sales:

Ikutsu no Koro -- day one 354,311 day two 34,750
    Shounin Yokkyuu -- 363,538 46,286
    Start Over! -- 352,384 42,441
    Sakarazuki -- 285,277 33,306

Meet & Greet up to sales period 5:
    Ikutsu no Koro 756 slots sold
    Shounin Yokkyuu 626 slots sold

What does this discrepancy mean? Big jumps in M&G for 3gens more than make up for losing Habu and Pon (and also some Koike). Itoha is up 28, Rika up 26, Riko and Odakura 24, Mio 22, Yuzuki 13, Miu and Yuu 11, Airi 8, Nagi 7. Only Shizuki is not up at all, and that's because she was already at maximum.

Some 1-2 gens are also up: Takemoto by 24 (!), Marina by 13, Akiho by 5, Fuu-chan and Marino by 2, Hikari by 1.

[​IMG]

Some commenters suggest that real fans are very enthusiastic, particularly about the 3gens, but that more casual fans are not so taken with this release.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Vanbun01

Vanbun01 Kenkyuusei

IMO, long title might be difficult to promote to casual fans. it’s always better to use shorter name that casual people can remember in one listen.

I don’t remember the title for this single yet, better name like silent majority, kuroi hitsuji, start over , ban, etc

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 6
  10. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

As usual, I love the "dance practice" video (above). All the moves are so easy to see and appreciate, and the group as a whole is terrific.

The video in this tweet is from a Karin fan and is intended to show her excellence, which it does. But I couldn't help noticing Airi's excellence, too. I had recently lost focus on her, but am I right in thinking she has elevated herself even higher?

There's a period near the end of the whole video where Airi and Shii-chan are featured, and they work so well together. Shii-chan has always been outstanding, but perhaps Airi is close to a similar level now? Sharp, elegant, confident, smooth. And Airi makes a warm smile work the way Karin does a cool non-smile.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jsprite

Jsprite Future Girls

Cool moves in this dance practice. At 1:14, it seems they borrowed for a few seconds the signature two-handed round part of AKB48's Koisure Fortune Cookie.:^^;:

12. Bibi

Bibi Kenkyuusei

I thought I was the only one who noticed it. She had grown rapidly since then, the doubt in her expression turning into confidence. She's enjoy dancing than before, that's what makes me so happy to see her now.

Now I can't help but discuss this. Did you guys noticed that Shiichan is not being good lately? Or is it just my imagination? Sometimes Shii's expressions just miss from the song theme, but I think that's because she better at expressing sad/emo songs? Cause both Shonin and Ikutsu was more like 'Confident'

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ukifune

ukifune Under Girls

Summary of Oricon sales so far, from a Japanese post (which gives stats for all singles):

...........day........running total
    tue.....354311
    wed....34750......389061
    thu.....16511......405572
    fri.......11348......416920
    sat......8996.......425916

Daily totals for previous singles are on the Stage48 Oricon page. Daily sales for Ikutsu no Koro were lower than Shounin Yokkyuu for tue-wed-thu, but slightly higher than both Shounin Yokkyuu and Start Over! for fri-sat. I'm hoping for a delayed rise. A Japanese comment expects 500,000...eventually. After 31 weeks, SO! is at 475k. After 15 weeks, Shounin is at 509k.

@Bibi -- I have the bad habit of imagining, from very little evidence, the psychology of members. I think Shii-chan came in with great confidence in her dancing, for good reason. Perhaps she is seeing others rising and is losing a bit of confidence, and a bit of delight. And perhaps life in Tokyo and the entertainment world is weighing on her. Airi, on the other hand, may have gone through those stages earlier, and is now recovering her confidence and delight. Whatever the case, they are both very promising performers, one dark (?) and one light (?).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  14. JaeRoler

JaeRoler Kenkyuusei

Looks like first week sales is ending at 434k (with 8996 from Sunday) sales, 5k down from Start Over. Still a strong result nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bonjourmarlene

bonjourmarlene Under Girls Wiki48 Editor

Oshimen:
    小林蘭
    Twitter:
    curioushitomi
    So far at 425,916 with Sunday sales still to be announced (unless you have Oricon premium, then you can check early). They're on a really good trajectory. Even if this single doesn't sell as much as Shounin Yokkyuu, this is really good, considering Shounin Yokkyuu is their best selling single so far as Sakurazaka46. Anything getting even close would still be a success - the group is on a great trajectory again!

16. Vanbun01

Vanbun01 Kenkyuusei

Honestly, considering that title song is too long and the song itself isn't catchy or as good as sakurazaka older song, this result is quite good. (And they are just lost one prominent member yuipon)

As far as I know, no fans compliments it like it's a great song that will blow up after first listen. It's an "okay song" but I like other sakurazaka single more than 8th. My fav is still the 6th single, not only start over is great, but I like hono and 3ki song too.

It's selling this much thanks to sakurazaka members, which mean they're solidifying their popularity now...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. FlowingColors

FlowingColors Future Girls

Btw, did you notice Airi bumping into Yuzu at around 3:40? Had me giggling for a sec.[hehe]

18. Bibi

Bibi Kenkyuusei

So far it's a great result, I assume we would go higher next single. I hope the summer single would be a banger like or more than SO! So they can solidify their popularity.

Anw did you guys think we will get Tokyo Dome for the Final Tour?:cute: The period for their tour is too short, so I sneak in a little hope for Tokyo Dome concert.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. miwa

miwa Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Sasaki Mirei
    I let the single marinate a bit and I think it's really good. Probably the best since Samidareyo. I'm surprised people aren't keen on Hold me tight, I think it's really funky and cool. The only song I don't care for is the Backs song sadly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Astro48

Astro48 Upcoming Girls

Oshimen:
    Marsha
    Twitter:
    polaristune
    When any Sakamichi or Starto group release a single, they can top Billboard Japan Hot 100 but Sakurazaka46's new single "Ikutsu no Koro ni Modoritai no ka?" peaked at second place while the first place still belongs to Bling Bang Bang Born by Creepy Nuts. Well Mashle season 2 opening theme is a new phenomenon of Jpop just Yoasobi's Idol last year
    20240228_114546.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 1