Japanese Translations!!

Discussion in 'The STAGE48 Lobby' started by Lariemeeva, May 20, 2008.

1. caedus

caedus Kenkyuusei

I did try to translate it that way, but yeah it was kinda awkward. It's from a blog entry and I sort of volunteered to translate it, the writer was talking about high school graduations and such. But yeah, I was thinking if there's an English saying equivalent to it. I suppose I could leave a translator note to explain it. Thanks!

2. miruss87

miruss87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Rabutan 4eva ~
    could anyone translate this to me, "それはね",
    is it has same meaning like "it is, isn't it" or maybe I'm wrong,
    really appreciate to anyone who can enlighten my confusion about this phrase :)

3. Silenka

Silenka Future Girls Retired Staff

It's a conversational phrase that essentially means "it's that, you know, ...."
    Like when you're continuing to tell a story or explaining something.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

4. miruss87

miruss87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Rabutan 4eva ~
    @Silenka yeah, it's make sense cuz after that phrase,
    the speaker is trying to say or explain something,
    actually I watching Shuukan AKB with Japanese subs,
    try to learn Japanese, yeah I know I still have a long way to go :)
    thank you very much for ur help :) :worthy:

5. Silenka

Trying to finish up Kataomoi no karaage and the last 2 lines are throwing me for a loop.

「唐揚げって、片栗粉じゃね?」
    「それじゃ、字数、合わねーし…」

What I got right now is that katakuriko is starch (although if there's a different meaning to it I'd love to know) but I'm not sure why the number of characters not matching up has anything to do with anything...

I feel like there's a clever joke here I'm missing or something.

6. ossan

ossan Member

I'm not sure, but I think that this is because it is not matching up the number of the note because the word increases to 5 syllables from 4 syllables.
    こむぎこ → かたくりこ

7. Silenka

OH!

So you can use both komugiko and katakuriko to make karaage. That's why!

Thank you! That makes sense :D

I didn't realize til just now that they are both used in fried food [hehe] Blame my lack of knowledge of Japanese cooking...

8. Faint

Faint Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    gabrielamargarethwarouw
    A comment on one of my videos on youtube says this: 初コメげっと(笑)
    I'm assuming KOME is short for comment and that it is supposed to say "got the first comment (laugh)" is that right? Google translate says it means "get first rice" but I think the former is more logical given the context (it was the first comment on the video).

9. Silenka

hatsu kome getto (w)

"I got the first comment, lol"

10. Faint

Faint Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    gabrielamargarethwarouw
    As I thought, thanks for confirming!

[rain] (I think this is how I will sign my posts :hehe:)

11. caedus

caedus Kenkyuusei

So I was watching this show where a girl was talking about her ideal type. The word 美形 when referring to a guy, would that just mean good looking guy or a pretty boy type of guy?

12. Silenka

I could be wrong about this because I've never encountered the word you posted. 美形 seems to mean beautiful in body.

However, good looking guy is generally expressed as イケメン (ikemen). Pretty boy generally involves the word 美 (bi), beauty. So I would venture a guess that she's talking about a pretty guy, or at least a guy who has a 'pretty boy' body.

13. ossan

ossan Member

美形(bikei) means good looking, often implies noble.
    イケメン(ikemen) also means good looking, but often implies lady-killer.

美形 can use for guys or girls.
    ex. あんにんは美形だ。

14. miruss87

miruss87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Rabutan 4eva ~
    could anyone explain to me the meaning of "ガチ"? I saw a lot of this word in variety shows, but I still can't understand it m(_ _)m.. and one more, what's the meaning of "ガチガセ"? thank you to anyone who help :)

15. Silenka

Gachi has a lot of subtle meanings like 'diligence' and 'earnestness' but basically it's used when someone is challeged to do something (and thus has to portray those traits). It's an abbreviation of gachinko, which is a term that means to compete earnestly at something. I'm less familiar with 'gase', but my dictionary says it means nonsense or fake, so I assume gachi gase means nonsense competition or something to that effect. I've only seen the show a couple times and it does have competitions on it, so maybe... :D

16. miruss87

miruss87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Rabutan 4eva ~
    ^ thanks for your help. [bow] I saw that word a lot in variety shows and most of the time it's involving challenge, so it's make sense. :)

17. miruss87

miruss87 Kenkyuusei

Oshimen:
    Rabutan 4eva ~
    could anyone tell me how to translate "涙がまだ悲しみだった頃". from my understanding, I translate it to "The time of tears were still a sadness", argh I so confuse :fp: , thank you to anyone who willing to help and enlighten my confusion, really appreciate it [bow]

18. Silenka

Doing Tomochin's 1% and stuck on this verse:

Dareka no sei yo
    Iikiretara raku na no ni
    Yes ka No ka kirekakatta kikou to
    Warau furi ka

If someone could explain the meanings of kirekakatta kikou ?

I assume it's 'almost - whatever kire in this context means' (nvm I'm dumb), and kikou from kiku, a short form of kikou to suru? I'm not sure if this is colloquial or I'm just unaware of the construct.

Then warau furi ka is 'pretend to laugh' (maybe?) but is it a question or a statement? I guess it depends on what the previous line means.

If I'm not wrong, don't the first two lines translate to basically "'It's someone's fault'
    Though that's easy to claim" ?

Thanks to whoever can help me <3

19. caedus

caedus Kenkyuusei

Hey guys, it's been a while. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this.
    しかもそのアドバイスも、ひとりひとりのことをしっかり見ていないとわからないことだったりする.
    To put into context, this person is talking about someone who has been a great adviser to them. I don't get the sentence.

20. Silenka

Well it might need more context or miru just might be used in a way I don't understand but if I break it down it looks to me like
    "Furthermore, if I don't take each piece of advice steadily into consideration one by one [rather than taking it as a whole], I won't understand it"

I hope that helps.